Community news - TBAOTL Sprite competition - The winners !

Read and comment on the latest community news and site updates.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Community news - TBAOTL Sprite competition - The winners !

Post by Unas »

Community news
TBAOTL Sprite competition - Meet the winners !
The competition voting ended a short while ago, and the atmosphere is tense as we are about to reveal the winners to the world !
Well, to those who haven't checked the results directly in the public poll at least...

Attention everyone, please make place for :

3rd Place - Detective Jonathan Lebrun, by Tear

ImageImage
ImageImage

I have the pleasure to start this post with the creation of a French member and trial reviewer, Tear.

Jonathan Lebrun is a perfect entry, in that it corresponds exactly to what I had in mind when launching the competition. A man of the law, with a honest and serious, hard working attitude : a detective you could trust completely.
Add to that the very high quality of this work, in particular the facial expressions and animations, and the fact that it contains no less than 12 poses (4 poses and 3 clothing variations for each) : it should be no surprise that Jonathan made it to the top 3 !

Congratulations, Tear !

2nd Place - Ranger Justice, by mercurialSK

ImageImage
ImageImage

First to submit an entry in this competition, mercurialSK set a very high standard from the start.

Ranger Justice is definitely the most surprising work of this competition, and in more ways than one.
First, of course, is the daring choice of submitting a vigilante when the competition is about trust in justice. This was most unexpected - at least for me. But my doubts vanished when looking at the character's face : honest expressions, confident smile... He definitely has an aura of trust around him, and looks like he's acting alongside the law, rather than in the shadows of it.
Surprising also because of the number and variety of the poses and animations. No less than 14 poses, plus a few startup animations... and even a "breakdown" pose ! This would be enough for a main character - and I expect that quite a few people will want tu use this sprite set for their sidekick character once it's included in the editor.

Congratulations, mercurialSK !

Competition winner - Chief of Police Laura Frost, by Lind

ImageImage
ImageImage

Time to announce the winner at last. Like Tear, Lind made the "perfect entry" I imagined : fitting exactly with the theme, and of very high quality.

Indeed, Laura Frost alternates between a trusting smile and a strict, severe frown, but never loses her serious and capable look. It makes one feel that the law is in good hands.
The amount of details on the sprites is amazing, too - especially when comparing the regular sprites with the young poses. The difference between the older and younger faces feels obvious, though it comes from barely noticeable wrinkles, and the changes in the uniform convey clearly the gained authority.

Lind said that this entry is unfinished, as he couldn't get it done on time : in the end, this unfinished entry reached the top of the competition !

Congrats, Lind, you truly deserve the Trustworthy Spriter title ! :wink:
Also, if you wish to finish your entry (I guess adding a few young poses) at any time, let me know.

With that, the competition is over !
Let me congratulate once again the winners, and thank all participants for their entries - I hardly imagined such impressive results when launching the competition, and I'm really proud of what this community has done !

Also, keep in mind that characters that are not added through this competition are not lost. This competition, and the whole Bright Age of the Law event, is announcing changes for AAO, as I want AAO to be more and more open to art created by the community.
Those who did not make it this time will have their chance later - until then, keep working and improving till you reach perfection !

Oh, and by the way, one more thing.
There is one more result to announce !

Unas's choice - Officer Groovy, by gotMLK7

ImageImage
ImageImage

If it had depended only on me, the decision for this additional winner would have been hard : gotMLK7's officer Groovy and Silver Glas's officer Brian Stewart are both characters that I'd be proud to feature on AAO.
But the choice of the community helped me settle between the two : as gotMLK7's work almost reached the top 3, it feels fair to make it our fourth winner !

Officer Groovy's quite similar to Ranger Justice in several ways.
First, it's a well developed character, with 9 poses, and a breakdown animation too ! It's a character that many will want to use as a main character in fangames.
It's also kind of a borderline entry regarding the theme. This time, it's a man of the law, no doubt, but he looks like he doesn't take things very seriously and looks quite narcissistic to me... Not someone that inspires trust at first sight, I'd say ! :-P
That being said, it's a fourth set of sprites that I'm very proud to include to the AAO sprite database.

Congratulations, got !

With that, the spriting competition is officially over. These sprite sets will be added to the editor in the next few days/weeks depending on my free time, and Lind will receive the Trustworthy Spriter title in a few minutes :-)

Time to look forward to the end of the next AAO TBAOTL event, the case competition, ending on Sunday August 31st ! :D
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Tear
Spoken languages: Français, English

Re: Community news - TBAOTL Sprite competition - The winners

Post by Tear »

I'm so happy right now. *_*
Congrats (and thanks) to everyone !
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Congrats to the winners! The top 4 sprites were all excellent.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
drvonkitty
Spoken languages: English

Post by drvonkitty »

Congratulations to all the winners! You guys deserved it ^-^

Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

Congrats.
Bruce Goodman won't be so lonely anymore.
ImageImage Image Image Image
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

Congrats to the top 3, nice work to everyone who made these brilliant sprites for the competition, and thanks to Unas and everyone who voted for me for helping Officer Groovy get into the database! You all rock, and I had a ton of fun in this competition! :D
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Hesseldahl
Spoken languages: Español, English

Post by Hesseldahl »

Congratulations to the winners!
Your entries are wonderful and I really think people are going to use your characters :nod:
And don't expect to have it too easy next time! :twisted: Muahahahahahaha!
DragonTrainer

Post by DragonTrainer »

Congrats and good work, guys. :)
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Cool. Really nice result overall for the comp. Looking forward to seeing future trials with them.

I'm pretty sure I've thanked everyone already, but thanks and thanks again! :)
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
rayaj
Spoken languages: Filipino

Post by rayaj »

Wow! no surprise for the winners! these quality of work really deserves a praise from the community! Congrats!!!

To all Detective Conan fans out there! Please support my PW/DC crossover fangame:

Ace Attorney: One Truth Prevails (Closed Beta)
http://forums.court-records.net/viewtop ... 36&t=30579
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Congrats to the winners and to all who participated!
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Congratulations to all competition winners! All four of them deserve a place here.

I'm especially looking forward to seeing what Lind can do with the finished version of Laura Frost.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
durstmd

Post by durstmd »

When is Laura Frost to be added in the editor? She was my top pick :D

And, for that matter, when are all of the other sprites to be added in? And under what section in the character editor (Ace Attorney 1, 2, 3, main characters, or something like "fan-made sprites")?

Thanks,
durstmd
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

They will be added whenever I have time to take care of it, probably on Sunday ;-)
And they'll be in a specific section for fanmade sprites, of course.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )