Development news: AAO is moving, update your bookmarks !

Read and comment on the latest community news and site updates.
TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

Re: Development news: AAO is moving, update your bookmarks !

Post by TheDoctor »

Something else anyone reading this should do, and that's updating the showcase links.
Image Image Image
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

Will aceattorney.sparklin.org/* redirect to aaonline.fr/*? If so, for how long?
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

It's past 4am for me, and move complete -_-
I know there are a few issues left (like the reduced manager links) but I'll tackle that after getting some sleep.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Nicolas_Harrington

Post by Nicolas_Harrington »

Thanks for the update, still new to these parts. I hope the experience will be great. Still learning some of the features on here. My test game seems a tad bit broken because I haven't learned how to make the auto text and I haven't figured out how to use camera span from one side of the courtroom to the other. But I'm sure I will figure it out. I hope there will be more updates in the future. Working on Turnabout A Girl and Her Puppy has been taking a huge toll on me since the characters I want do not exist on here.

By the way, the Help Button on the main page seems to be broken right now. It'll take you to whatever page you are currently on right now.
Last edited by Enthalpy on Sun May 07, 2017 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed double post.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Err, is there a reason that I have to do http://www.aaonline.fr, rather than just doing aaonline.fr? Because if I try to go to aaonline.fr, it say that the domain has moved, and I can't access the site...

EDIT: Seems like some people aren't able to access regardless. Any ideas why?

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

kwando1313 wrote:Err, is there a reason that I have to do http://www.aaonline.fr, rather than just doing aaonline.fr? Because if I try to go to aaonline.fr, it say that the domain has moved, and I can't access the site...

EDIT: Seems like some people aren't able to access regardless. Any ideas why?
This is most likely due to DNS caching : in order not to do the "domain to IP" conversion at every request, the result is usually cached at several steps.
I updated the DNS records of the aaonline.fr domain to refer to the new server, but it can take some time to propagate through the caching layers (there is usually one cache at your internet provider's level, and one locally on your computer).
Usually "some time" is less than a few hours, but since it heavily depends on settings both on from you and your provider, I can't really help on that side. I can assure you that the domain is properly set on my end ;-)

If you still have issues to access it, try to flush the local DNS cache.
On windows, run "ipconfig /flushdns" in command line
On Ubuntu, run "sudo /etc/init.d/dns-clean" in command line
and for others, you can search by yourself :-)
(or worse case scenario, normally the local dns cache is flushed when your reboot your PC)

@Nicolas_Harrington : welcome here :-)
The bug you are mentioning with the help page is not due to the move, it's actually very old, I completely forgot to set it up when releasing this version of AAO and never had time to take care of it :-P
But it's not related to the move.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

After a few hours to propagate, it's working for me now. Thanks for this, and hopefully the rest of the move goes smoothly.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Well, as far as AAO is concerned, the move is complete.
the sparklin.org domain still refers to the old server, which for now has a permanent redirection mechanism to fallback to here. So all links to sparklin are correctly redirected to here for the next few days.
Both the domain and server should be decommissioned on june 1st though - so it won't last long.

I have also declared the site move to Google so that hopefully AAO will be referenced with the new address soon.
ImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I was referring to the "reduced manager links" you mentioned. Come to think of it, what are those?
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Already fixed :-P
It's the links to the editor on the top right of forum pages. They were still linking to editor.html, and I haven't enabled url rewriting on the new server, so they were failing. I fixed them to link directly to editor.php so there's no problem anymore :-)
ImageImageImage
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

Code: Select all

http://4e4241c2-fea6-414c-9cc8-62bf9f7f87ee.pub.cloud.scaleway.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12098&p=761325#p761325
Why am I here?

EDIT: Image
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

It's the default domain that my new host (scaleway) gave to the new physical server where I installed AAO. But normally the site shouldn't display this address as far as I know.

I'll have to check why it's used in the notification emails.
ImageImageImage
Nicolas_Harrington

Post by Nicolas_Harrington »

@Unas: I know the feeling man, I've had the same situation at my work. My employees ask me for things and I am doing other things at the time and I end up forgetting their request. No hard feelings, I just thought it was actually kind of neat to see the banner change everytime I clicked on it.

By the way, if you are ever offended by my sense of humor, just let me know.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

While looking through some old trials, I noticed a lot of them seem to have been released the day of the server move. I assume this is some side effect of that move?