Development news: Editor preview and usability testing

Read and comment on the latest community news and site updates.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: Development news: Editor preview and usability testing

Post by Unas »

I have quite precise plans for AAI investigations, so it will be there some day, but it won't be in "V6.0" - I plan to release it before actually starting work on them. :-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Kumori
Spoken languages: English, VERY VERY slight French

Post by Kumori »

I was just playing around, but wow, I found it a lot easier to use than V5 once I'd gotten used to the layout.

There is one word to describe V6 at the moment: Awesome.
PROOF that Spongebob is funny:
You mean what we thought they thought we think and thought they thought. We think? - Patrick Star
Moss always points to civilization. -Spongebob Squarepants
SpongeBob SquarePants: Am I a pretty girl?
Mr. Krabs: Well... yes, you're... you're beautiful.
[Looking for Squidward in a crowd of squids]
SpongeBob SquarePants: Are you Squidward?
Squid #1: No.
SpongeBob SquarePants: Are you Squidward?
Squid #2: No.
Patrick: [to a fire hydrant] Are you Squidward?
Mermaid Man: Now, who wants to save the world?
SpongeBob: I do!
Patrick: I do!
Sandy Cheeks: I do!
Squidward: I don't.
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Post by Meph »

Hodou Okappa wrote:In any case, my biggest problem with that aspect is just that it looks messy when the list appears. The way it pops up when you hover over bothers me -- I feel like it should either permanently be there (which would require expanding the frame size a little to prevent overlap) or it should be triggered some other way (perhaps clicking on the music note, which is now kind of a pointless symbol otherwise?)
I can see what you mean about it looking a bit messy. To make it look better, we could hide the right, bottom and left borders and the border-radius. That way, it would look integrated with the box :)
Kumori wrote:I was just playing around, but wow, I found it a lot easier to use than V5 once I'd gotten used to the layout.

There is one word to describe V6 at the moment: Awesome.
Thanks! That's really encouraging to hear, especially since you're a new user. :D If the UI is easy for new users to understand, we must be doing something right. :XD:
Thursday
Spoken languages: English, Tagalog, Some French

Post by Thursday »

Somehow, I think the new Merge Frame option is kind of a step backwards from V5's. I liked how the line between the frames became dotted, and the subsequent frames' numbers disappeared. Made it easier to tell that the frames were merged.
But now all that's there is a check mark, which isn't all that indicative, at least to me.

Day 2 - Trial COMPLETE and Playable now!
Meph

Post by Meph »

Actually, I'm not sure if the merge feature is done. :)
ApolloGrimoire

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

From what I've seen so far V6 has got massive potential, even at this early stage it's a huge improvement over V5. :D
Like the creator of Final Fantasy, I'm better at telling a story.
If you need help animating Ace Attorney sprite sheets, I'm your man.

Case 1 - Nursing the Turnabout: Trial Former, Trial Latter
Greatest Weakness - Mis;use of; Semi;colons
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Thursday wrote:Somehow, I think the new Merge Frame option is kind of a step backwards from V5's. I liked how the line between the frames became dotted, and the subsequent frames' numbers disappeared. Made it easier to tell that the frames were merged.
But now all that's there is a check mark, which isn't all that indicative, at least to me.
Indeed, the styling for merged frames is not done yet. It will be in the future ;-)

Thanks, Orange :D
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Mimi
Spoken languages: English: the only language I can brag about

Post by Mimi »

I tested it out but forgot to comment. It looks good, although I didn't know how to toy around it with it much.
The Frozen Falcon
Spoken languages: English, Learning Japanese, Learning Spanish

Post by The Frozen Falcon »

Tried it out. It is a true achievement. Finally, our trial makers make trials similar to trials in Phoenix Wright games.
Sorry for the unintended tounge twister there.
MATE.
Meph

Post by Meph »

It's really important that you all fill in the form that Unas has made. He really needs the data. :)
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Well, half of that importance is gone now. I had my project defence yesterday.

It still is useful to help me figure out which points really need improvement, though.
ImageImageImage
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I just took a look at the Editor again, in raw form (meaning, no loading trials). So I have a few questions.
  • In [#fb] and [#sb], what would b stand for?
  • The red looks more orange than red. Will it remain "red" or will it change to "orange?"
  • Why don't you embed the text options (color, flash, shake, pause tags) in the frame itself instead of floating when the text box is clicked on? I think it would use that space more effectively.
  • When saving is available, and you have added evidence/profiles in between, will the numbers change, just like the frame numbers change upon saving?
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

• Background task. That means no pause; do not wait for the effect to finish before resuming typing the text.
  • It's supposed to be the red colour from AA. To be honest, I don't really care about that; I'll wait for Meph's answer.
  • Because it would make the row far too wide for small screens (netbooks). The current solution isn't satisfying either though, since as Dan pointed out the toolbox isn't correctly positioned on such small screens.
  • I'm not sure yet. Saving and id-updating are now two distinct tasks : the system works without updating ids at all (even for frames). However, it works faster when ids are correctly ordered. I'll probably make reordering of all entities automatic for simplicity's sake, though.
ImageImageImage
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Unas wrote:Background task. That means no pause; do not wait for the effect to finish before resuming typing the text.
Does that mean [#b] and [#f] will pause the text?
I'm not sure yet. Saving and id-updating are now two distinct tasks : the system works without updating ids at all (even for frames). However, it works faster when ids are correctly ordered. I'll probably make reordering of all entities automatic for simplicity's sake, though.
Please let there be some way for profiles and evidence to be re-id'd :3
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Bad Player wrote:
Unas wrote:Background task. That means no pause; do not wait for the effect to finish before resuming typing the text.
Does that mean [#b] and [#f] will pause the text?
Plenty of people complained about how [#s] and [#f] trigger a 500ms pause in text typing.
[#sb] and [#fb] will, on the contrary, not pause the text.
ImageImageImage