Development news: Another AAO6 Editor preview

Read and comment on the latest community news and site updates.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Development news: Another AAO6 Editor preview

Post by Unas »

Development news
Another AAO6 Editor preview
Hi everyone,

I know that some of you are getting bored of waiting for AAOv6 to come out - and I have to apologise for the fact that it's taking me so long. Hopefully, it won't be too long anymore, since I'm done with school projects and such, and have reasonable working times :-)

That being said, I've brought a little present for all of you, so you can see my current progress : a new preview of the V6 editor :redd:

New stuff since previous preview includes, among other things :
  • Investigation blocks !
  • Psyche locks structure, following Meph's recommendation. (some locks settings are not implemented yet, though)
  • Previews ! Check out the music selection, background selection or sprite selection menus and be amazed 8)
  • Coordinates picker for pointing actions / scene examination
  • Music tab (though it's a first draft I just did today, it's far from complete)
  • More complete localisation (that is, fewer ugly strings)
Stuff not done yet but on my todo list for V6.0 include, among other things :
  • Add all investigations and locks settings currently missing
  • Improve Music tab, add Sounds tab
  • Places tab ! (which will allow for setting multiple layers of objects on a place)
  • Adding popup pictures (what are called "special pictures" in V5)
  • Improve the screen editor, which currently gets ugly with multiple characters on a frame
  • Saving !!
Indeed, as before, you cannot save your work done with that V6 preview. After all, what good would it be, since there is no V6 player yet ? :-P
Anyway, you can toy around but not save any work done with it. The good thing about that is that you won't be able to mess up your trials when you try loading them in this preview :-P

Like before, it can be found at
http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/V6_Test/editor.html (which opens an empty case)

You can also open your V5 cases in it by using the following address :

Code: Select all

http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/V6_Test/editor.html?trial_id=<Trial_ID>
where <Trial_ID> is the ID number of your trial.
For those who don't know, the ID number is the one that can be found at the end of the address you put in links to your trial, which looks like jeu.php?id_proces=<Trial_ID>.

Any constructive feedback is welcome, of course - if you tell me what's good or bad, and why, it'll help me making it better :cute:
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Re: Development news: Another V6 editor preview

Post by Broocevelt »

Gonnna check it out, really excited about this preview :D

EDIT: In the investigation, whenever I add new coordinates or new conversations in the Location tab, I have to change of sub-tabs for everything to display again. You should also let the author be able to play a dialogue before being asked to present evidence in the Deduce part. Unless you want the deduction to be done directly, whim fine with ;)

I really like the polygon tool, it's really good :D
As for the rectangle tool, it's really weird, I can't really make rectangles with it. It works exactly like the polygon tool. As for the circle tool I think it's good too, a really good idea.

I haven't checked the CEs deeply yet but everything looked like it was really hidden at first, and at the end you have to search thoroughly and click a lot in order to get to where you want. That's my first impression.
Last edited by Broocevelt on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topaz
Spoken languages: English, 日本語

Post by Topaz »

So this is the exciting announcement. Ah well, excitement over.
lazyplague
Spoken languages: English

Post by lazyplague »

I knew it was something bad.
*shot*
Anyway it seems like a lot of progress has been made since the last update.
Mono
Spoken languages: German, English

Post by Mono »

Cool. =D
Meph

Re: Development news: Another AAO6 Editor preview

Post by Meph »

Unas worked really hard to get this preview out. He's written loads of code, today. :D

By the way, I didn't get a chance to say this: the new UI for adding audio is great! But why are you planning on putting the sounds in a different tab? And why is there a horizontal line at the top of each box? :)
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

-How do you delete profiles? o.O (and evidence and music tracks)

-In storyboard, I went to set the characters and sprites and whatnot... In the window that popped up ("Screen editor"), some weird stuff happened (don't remember exactly.... don't know how to describe it....) and I couldn't close the box for a bit

-I thought you said something like once we put characters in a place, we wouldn't have to put them in on every single frame....

-How do you un-"manual sync"? (and what is that anyway?)

-How are these tracks organized? (within album, I think)

-When you "expand" the contradictions on a statement, it gets... ugly. Especially if there are multiple contradictions in one statement

-For end the game, with "other"... What does that do? (Is that the part in the trial series? Does that mean you can't have it redirect to a different case?)

-Maybe you could make a "stop flash health bar" action, just to make it slightly easier/quicker (I mean, there's now a separate action for increasing the life bar)

-I made an investigation location, and some talk conversations... The first two convos were both labeled 1 (and the third one was labeled 2, and the fourth labeled 3, and so on)

Looks pretty sweet, though. Can't wait :)
Tap

Post by Tap »

Fantastic work as usual, Unas... I noticed a couple of minor issues from the old preview is still present. I don't know if this has been fixed in the actual source or not, so my comments about it may have already been tackled. ;)
  • The custom poses/sprite screen is locked in on the right-side of the screen. That doesn't explain it well, so here's a helpful screenshot explaining what I meant. =)
  • There's no option for adding in url links/text for the check button information. To be added, probably...? :)
  • Web development is a field I know little of, but is there a difference between ".php" and ".html"? When browsing the storyboard menu and various pop-ups (selecting backgrounds, evidence), I'm receiving noticeable lag. :?
  • A couple of odd strings return to haunt v6! :XD: I found "&" and "&nbsp;" when loading a trial into the preview.
As usual, I can't wait until v6 is out... You tease us greatly with these previews. :XD:
ImageImage
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Thanks for the comments :-)
Meph wrote:Unas worked really hard to get this preview out. He's written loads of code, today. :D
Well, I had mentioned to several people that I intended to have a preview out in February, and it kind of was the last instant xD
Meph wrote:the new UI for adding audio is great! But why are you planning on putting the sounds in a different tab? And why is there a horizontal line at the top of each box? :)
Mostly because it's just a quick thing I did today. My section layout engine currently does an association "one section = one data type", so I couldn't easily mix sounds and music (different data in the editor) into a single tab. I'll see in the future whether I add a sounds tab or find a way to integrate it. As for the line, it's kind of a place holder :-)
Bad Player wrote:-How do you delete profiles? o.O (and evidence and music tracks)
Profiles and evidence : whoops, forgot about those ^^'
There will be a delete button at the bottom of each cell.
Music : there is a delete button - currently top right of the cell, like for frames, but it'll probably get moved to the bottom like for profiles and evidence.
Bad Player wrote:In the window that popped up ("Screen editor"), some weird stuff happened (don't remember exactly.... don't know how to describe it....) and I couldn't close the box for a bit
Well, if you couldn't even close the box, then it most certainly is a bug xD
Can you give me more precise information ? (Your browser, the trial and frame on which you tried, etc.)
Bad Player wrote:-I thought you said something like once we put characters in a place, we wouldn't have to put them in on every single frame....
Well, there are two things.
First, kind of like in V5, you do not need to set the whole screen on each frame. Just set the whole screen on one frame (background and all characters). Then, on the following frames, just select the talking character and leave the place to None. (I'll probably rename that "None" to "Use previous", like in V5).
Second, a replacement for the auto-background feature of V5 : not implemented yet, not sure if it'll be in V6.0 or later.
Bad Player wrote:-How do you un-"manual sync"? (and what is that anyway?)
-When you "expand" the contradictions on a statement, it gets... ugly. Especially if there are multiple contradictions in one statement
Whoops, there is a layout bug that messes up everything in both those cases. I'll fix that tomorrow.
As for Manual sync, the label isn't clear indeed : it allows you to enter a custom name for the talking character while setting the speech synchronisation manually through another menu. (In normal mode, text will be synchronised automatically with the talking character).
Bad Player wrote:-For end the game, with "other"... What does that do? (Is that the part in the trial series? Does that mean you can't have it redirect to a different case?)
Same as the V5 action actually : move to a given part of the series (other than the next one). This action isn't localised yet though, so it's not surprising that it's hard to understand xD
Bad Player wrote:-Maybe you could make a "stop flash health bar" action, just to make it slightly easier/quicker (I mean, there's now a separate action for increasing the life bar)
That's a good idea, I'll probably do it :-)
Bad Player wrote:-How are these tracks organized? (within album, I think)
Currently, organised by album but not sorted. Obviously I'll sort them in the final version ^^
Tap wrote:The custom poses/sprite screen is locked in on the right-side of the screen. That doesn't explain it well, so here's a helpful screenshot explaining what I meant. =)
There's no option for adding in url links/text for the check button information. To be added, probably...? :)
Yep, that's to-do stuff I forgot to mention xD
Tap wrote:Web development is a field I know little of, but is there a difference between ".php" and ".html"? When browsing the storyboard menu and various pop-ups (selecting backgrounds, evidence), I'm receiving noticeable lag. :?
There is a difference, but it's unrelated to the lag here. I'd advise you to try it on Chrome or any other Wbekit-based browser (Safari, etc.), since it has much better performance than Firefox. :)
Tap wrote:A couple of odd strings return to haunt v6! :XD: I found "&" and "&nbsp;" when loading a trial into the preview.
Yeah, some small encoding details when converting from V5 to V6. I'll have to take care of this before the release...
Trials created on the V6 itself will be completely free of such problems though.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Unas wrote:
Bad Player wrote:In the window that popped up ("Screen editor"), some weird stuff happened (don't remember exactly.... don't know how to describe it....) and I couldn't close the box for a bit
Well, if you couldn't even close the box, then it most certainly is a bug xD
Can you give me more precise information ? (Your browser, the trial and frame on which you tried, etc.)
Chrome. It was just a new, blank trial. I think it was just the first frame (and if it wasn't the first frame, it was the second)

iirc, I clicked the character sprite location thing to open up the "screen editor" window, set the background, added some characters, set their sprites/position, and then when I hit "cancel" it just... didn't close. I just did a ton of stuff (mashing cancel, mashing confirm, changing around characters/sprites/alignments, deleted and added characters, etc) and then the cancel button just worked again
Meph

Post by Meph »

Bah! I was about to post a reply to all of BP's points, only to realise that Unas already has. :XD:
Tap wrote:The custom poses/sprite screen is locked in on the right-side of the screen. That doesn't explain it well, so here's a helpful screenshot explaining what I meant. =)
That's because your viewport (screen) is small. We should make that window bigger on smaller viewports. :)
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I haven't played around with v6 Alpha 2, but I'm very impressed. Everything that I specifically requested is there, so there'd a hell of a lot less work. One thing, though, is the clicking of the examination of the locations in the investigation. I would like the ability to nickname what I had examined, so when I do have to go back to edit, I can quickly tell which convo is which, and not waste too much time searching for which one it really is. But I LOVE the coordinates selection, with the polygon. I have a hell of a lot more control with that.

For reveal/hide evidence, I love the new interface. Now I'm no longer limited to 7 at a time, and can save a lot of work. This makes the "loading screens" basically nonexistent.

Also, I guess you didn't add the ability to name the poses? I would SO love to do that bc of Imgur being fukn annoying with the URL names :x
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

E.D.Revolution wrote:For reveal/hide evidence, I love the new interface. Now I'm no longer limited to 7 at a time, and can save a lot of work. This makes the "loading screens" basically nonexistent.
I think "hide at start" helps, too ;)

Will AAO still automatically hide at the start any evidence that is revealed at some point in the trial, or will it now only hide evidence that is manually set to be hidden?
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

E.D.Revolution wrote:One thing, though, is the clicking of the examination of the locations in the investigation. I would like the ability to nickname what I had examined, so when I do have to go back to edit, I can quickly tell which convo is which, and not waste too much time searching for which one it really is.
Good point. I was hesitating to do that for fear of overloading the convo settings, but I might add it :-)
E.D.Revolution wrote:Also, I guess you didn't add the ability to name the poses? I would SO love to do that bc of Imgur being fukn annoying with the URL names :x
This will be possible; the trial data file already contains fields for it. I just haven't added the interface field to do this in the editor yet ;-)
Bad Player wrote:Will AAO still automatically hide at the start any evidence that is revealed at some point in the trial, or will it now only hide evidence that is manually set to be hidden?
It will only hide what is set to hidden.
The old behaviour was counter-intuitive - a checkbox seems much more straightforward.
The V5 to V6 import should take care of translating this, except perhaps for some edge cases (the logic up to V5 was not only counter-intuitive, but also flawed). You can check that in your own trials, if the hidden checkbox gets ticked correctly for stuff that you expected hidden. :)
ImageImageImage
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

Maybe you could also keep the "hidden until it is revealed" function, that would make it easier to turn v5 trials into v6, and that would not disturb the rest since Newcomers would see the "Hidden at the beginning" checkbox.
ImageImage Image Image Image