Development news: AAO6 Player Preview 1 is out!

Read and comment on the latest community news and site updates.
Aamelo
Spoken languages: English and Portuguese

Re: Development news: AAO6 Player preview is out!

Post by Aamelo »

Meph wrote:Yes, that was my original plan. ;) It won't be implemented in AAO6, though. Possibly version 6.1.
Oh yes, I also forgot a thing, what about being able to change The Trial Benches? [Defense, Prosecution and Witness]

Also, Birds-Eye View Location? You mean like... Ace Attorney Investigations Style of View?

ImageImageImage She Might Not Exist, But that doesn't mean I can't love her ♥ ImageImageImage

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

E.D.Revolution wrote:I have to wonder. Does the AAO v6 Preview work ONLY on completed trials?
It works only on trials you have permission to read, since I've recently implemented permissions handling in AAO6.

So you can only read a trial if either of these conditions is met :
  • The trial is public (ie, completed)
  • You are a playtester/a collaborator/the owner of the trial. (Note that the playtester status doesn't exist in AAO5, it'll be added in AAO6)
  • You are an admin for the section this trial belongs to :awesome:
There's currently a bug that makes it hang on the white "Loading" screen rather than display an error message when you lack permissions, so I admit this isn't obvious :-P

So, double check that you're logged in when you're testing your own trials. If it still doesn't work, give me a link to the trial, and I'll have a look.
Aamelo wrote:Oh yes, I also forgot a thing, what about being able to change The Trial Benches? [Defense, Prosecution and Witness]

Also, Birds-Eye View Location? You mean like... Ace Attorney Investigations Style of View?
You'll be able to define your own places, each with its own background and objects, in V6. Since benches are merely foreground objects, you'll be able to customize them.
As for AAI investigations, those are planned in the long term, but won't be implemented in AAO6.0. Meph's mockups are always planning long before I actually implement them - when I do.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Got it. It is all working. Now for a few things:
  • Sounds are asynchronous.
  • On chrome, GIFs are very faithful to their settings.
  • [#f] bug and the transparent special sprite bug doesn't exist. Yay!
  • APNG for chrome now recognizes APNGs on the new Editor! Yaya! Except, it's a bit slow in loading it.
I think that's it.
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Post by Meph »

E.D.Revolution wrote:Sounds are asynchronous.
There's no preloader for audio, yet. ;)
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Re: Development news: AAO6 Player preview is out !

Post by Bad Player »

Meph wrote:
Bad Player wrote:The slide from the prosecutor's bench to the witness stand looks a little weird to me... (I think it might be that it's a little too slow at the end)
It would he helpful if someone could find out whether -- in the AA games -- scrolling between the middle and the right takes the same amount of milliseconds as scrolling between the left and right.
Since nobody seems to have found out...

Why don't you just try shortening the time it takes to scroll to/from the witness stand, and see if that makes it look better? I mean, for something as minor as this, I think we can put looking good over being 100% like the games :P
Meph

Post by Meph »

But I'm a perfectionist! I can't!
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

But the whole reason you have the issue is because you don't know how it is in games. So how can you use "That's how they do it in the games!" to justify keeping a long transition to/from the witness stand when you don't know that that's how they do it in the games?

What harm could possibly come from changing it just to see what it looks like? :P

And it's a bit silly to not change this in order to emulate the games (despite not knowing if that's really how they do it) when there are plenty of other things that aren't emulated 100%.
Meph

Post by Meph »

Hm? I'm not arguing against you. I don't mean everything I say in a serious way, BP. :XD:

But I'm not looking for a specific time. I'll take a look at a longplay on YouTube and see what the difference is.

EDIT: OK, I've figured it out. The transition between the centre and left/right is 600 ms. The transition between the left and right is 800 ms.

I've noticed something else as well. There is a small delay between when the foreground layer+character layer moves and when the background layer moves. However, it only seems to happen between centre and the left/right. We should set a transition-delay of 100 ms on the background in this instance.
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

This is why the internet needs sarcasm tags xP

Anyway lemme know when the delays have been implemented, I wanna see~
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Re: Development news: AAO6 Player preview is out !

Post by Unas »

Bad Player wrote:What harm could possibly come from changing it just to see what it looks like? :P
The harm being that it'd become a real mess if I were to enable setting different durations for each possible transition; a mess in my code, and a mess in the editor interface.
And this for a trifling detail... :-/

So, no, hardcoding different durations for each transition won't happen.
And the same goes for the "delay" you're mentioning, Meph : if it happens only in some cases but not in others, then it adds useless complexity given the ridiculously low benefit of actually doing it.

What I might consider in the future is having one single mathematical rule to determine the transition duration depending on the distance between the two positions, rather than a constant time like now.
However, at the moment, I feel I have more important "details" to work on. :wink:
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Isn't there only a 'left', 'middle' and 'right' position?

Or can you have as many positions as you want? :o
Meph

Post by Meph »

There's also the AAI positions, but you'd only want use them for characters. At the moment, you can use them for backgrounds positions as well.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Bad Player wrote:Isn't there only a 'left', 'middle' and 'right' position?
Have a look in the V6 editor yourself, in the screen editor for a frame.
There are many different default positions (those 3 are the AA defaults, but there are plenty for AAI).

Additionally, the engine supports adding custom positions to a place as well, even though it's not available in the editor yet.

So you'll understand that setting a specific length for each possible transition is not something I want to consider.
ImageImageImage
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Oh, I didn't realize you could set the background to the same positions as you could set the characters :o

Then a formula is probably the best way. It just looks kinda silly the way it is now. (And imagine what it'd look like if someone transitioned a tiny bit with the constant time...)
Aamelo
Spoken languages: English and Portuguese

Post by Aamelo »

Possible Stupid Suggestion:
'Redirect to another Trial' Action?

D:

ImageImageImage She Might Not Exist, But that doesn't mean I can't love her ♥ ImageImageImage