Development news: AAO6 Player Preview 1 is out!

Read and comment on the latest community news and site updates.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Re: Development news: AAO6 Player preview is out!

Post by Bad Player »

Aamelo wrote:Possible Stupid Suggestion:
'Redirect to another Trial' Action?

D:
You can already do that in the "End the Game" action (although only to other parts in the same series)
Mimi
Spoken languages: English: the only language I can brag about

Post by Mimi »

Super late, but... er, my comments.
Spoiler : :
-Epic?
-REALLY SMOOTH. And the music was already mentioned.
-WHAAAAAAAAAAAA TWO--*is already blown away*

So, it was really short, but it's really, really REALLY NICE. ME GUSTA.
UltrawaveStudios
Spoken languages: English

Post by UltrawaveStudios »

"COMING SOON
APRIL 30"
Wait, what? It's MAY 21!
"2015"

You're joking, right?
Meph

Post by Meph »

Yes. It was posted on April Fools' Day. :P
morganwk
Spoken languages: English, not much Spanish

Post by morganwk »

Do you have an actual ETA on it or is it too much in the works to estimate?

And how will you make the switch from old to new, adapting for new formatting and the BG slides and other new features?
I might be doing trials, but my main focus is on my (possibly) upcoming casemaker for the TI-83 series of calculators.
My art
My music
My action thriller, The Missile Heist

*Insert snappy quote here*
Meph

Post by Meph »

morganwk wrote:And how will you make the switch from old to new, adapting for new formatting and the BG slides and other new features?
You'll find that that "just works". It works as if you were opening an AAO6 trial, because, when you load a trial that was saved in the AAO5 format, a converter is used to change it to the new save format called JSON. :)
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

morganwk wrote:Do you have an actual ETA on it or is it too much in the works to estimate?
A new and almost complete player preview will be released in the next few days, before the end of May.
The editor will require a little more work, but I'll hopefully be able to release an open beta around the beginning of July.
morganwk wrote:And how will you make the switch from old to new, adapting for new formatting and the BG slides and other new features?
As Meph said, the V6 editor and player should be able to load any old trial almost identically (meaning all new features, like background scrolling and multiple characters, are disabled on all frames by default). The public beta testing phase will be the time when you can inform me of any bugs you could find with old trials, so that I can fix it before completely removing V5. :wink:

The one issue will be the encoding of the trial's title : if you have any special character (quote, accented letter, etc.) in your trial's title, the V6 preview will not display it properly in the headers, as you can see if you try the editor preview as indicated in http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/v ... =12&t=6892
This will be the case until I phase out V5, because it'll require me to update the whole database : if I did that now, then the titles would be messed up in V5... But it's not like it was a critical flaw anyway :)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Unas wrote:
morganwk wrote:Do you have an actual ETA on it or is it too much in the works to estimate?
A new and almost complete player preview will be released in the next few days, before the end of May.
The editor will require a little more work, but I'll hopefully be able to release an open beta around the beginning of July.
Will we be able to make/save/edit trials in the open beta, or will it just be anther 'preview'?
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Yes, what I call "open beta" is the phase when both the V6 player and V6 editor will be fully enabled, so that you can save trials in the V6 editor and play them in the V6 player.
Of course, as every beta, it will be there for testing purposes : I'd advise people not to switch all their important trials to V6 before we're confident that it works properly and won't require more big changes :-P

However, the V6 manager won't be part of the beta, since I haven't even started work on it. So features like series and such won't be available once a trial has been saved with V6.

I'll have to figure out a few details to make V5 and V6 cohabitate properly and not conflict during that time, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
morganwk
Spoken languages: English, not much Spanish

Post by morganwk »

Suggestion: Make music options easier. I would really like to see support for more than just direct .mp3 linking, and more formats (particularly .wav (and I have to stress that I would like .wav to be supported)). Also, it would be great if you could just upload them...
I might be doing trials, but my main focus is on my (possibly) upcoming casemaker for the TI-83 series of calculators.
My art
My music
My action thriller, The Missile Heist

*Insert snappy quote here*
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

Uploading content would be heaaavy for the server, we've got tons of trials here.
ImageImage Image Image Image
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

morganwk wrote:Suggestion: Make music options easier. I would really like to see support for more than just direct .mp3 linking, and more formats (particularly .wav (and I have to stress that I would like .wav to be supported)). Also, it would be great if you could just upload them...
Unfortunately, this won't change, for a lot of reasons.
  • First, regarding the uploading of files.
    As Kroki said, there are thousands of users and trials here, so giving everyone the ability to upload files to AAO would be a huuuuuuge cost for me in storage space on the server. I can afford a good hosting for AAO, but not a full datacenter :P
    So for the moment the only solution is to ask users to host their own files themselves, as annoying as it may be.
  • Regarding format support, I am limited by what the browsers implement. mp3 can be played almost in every web browser, it being supported by Flash and even natively in some browsers. Wav simply isn't as widely supported in web browsers.
  • You shouldn't use wav anyway. Wav is uncompressed audio, which means wav files are much, much bigger than their mp3 equivalent. And that means the file would take much, much longer to download for people playing your trials, and use much, much more memory in their machines (which might be a problem on small and not powerful devices). Wav is just bad to use on the web !
ImageImageImage
Meph

Post by Meph »

But we can add new file formats if they become supported in most Web browsers. :)