Development news: AAO6 Player Preview 2 is out!

Read and comment on the latest community news and site updates.
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Re: Development news: AAO6 Player Preview 2 is out!

Post by Meph »

That should be fixed in Firefox 17. (But they had to make a big change to their browser engine in order to fix it. They've been having trouble getting the fix to stick. bug 539356)
Jean Of mArc
Spoken languages: English, French, Japanese

Post by Jean Of mArc »

Hey Unas!

I just noticed this. I don't have time to try it out much right now, but I was interested in seeing it for a minute.

I like the new way that the trial loads, waiting for you to press start. Always hated it when I did something else while a trial was loading only to miss the intro.

The thing that REALLY bothers me right away is that the play screen is way the heck on the absolute left. That feels very awkward when playing. I know you need some space for the evidence and such, but I feel that the v5 player balances it better than this one does. Any chance we could have the play screen more centered?

Also, this bothers me less-so, but still so, is that the proceed button alternates between "fast-forward" and "proceed". I personally find it really distracting; user experience is only about changing whatever is important or active at any given time, but I find that the proceed button tries to get as much attention as what's on screen. You were planning on making it more like the games, right? Whereby the proceed button is disabled until the end of the frame (unless you change it in the settings), right? I'd much prefer this option. If you plan to add that, then don't worry too much this complaint.

Anyway, I'm sure there are lots of cool features in there as well, I just don't have time to check them out yet.
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

Actually, the preview doesn't work for me at all right now. :-S

Jean Of mArc wrote:Also, this bothers me less-so, but still so, is that the proceed button alternates between "fast-forward" and "proceed". I personally find it really distracting; user experience is only about changing whatever is important or active at any given time, but I find that the proceed button tries to get as much attention as what's on screen. You were planning on making it more like the games, right? Whereby the proceed button is disabled until the end of the frame (unless you change it in the settings), right? I'd much prefer this option. If you plan to add that, then don't worry too much this complaint.
I think the new fast forward button looks nice and fancy, and though I understand what you find distracting about it, it doesn't bother me at all; I like it the way it is (or was, back when I could open it), and the lower screen does not attract much of my attention. :-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Meph

Post by Meph »

I find it distracting, too.
GanonZD wrote:Actually, the preview doesn't work for me at all right now. :-S
What happens when it "doesn't work for you at all". What do you see? And can we have some more info, like what browser you're using? :)
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Sure. :-)

I'm normally using Chrome, and when using that, it pretty much stays at "Loading trial" with the Magatama visible; nothing else happens. And the same thing happens when I try loading a non-empty trial in the editor preview. If I load an empty one, everything stays grey.

I then tried in Firefox, and it works, somehow, but with a great amount of bugs. In Turnabout Nightmare, it crashes during the second frame in the Defendant's Lobby; the text doesn't load, and the text sounds carry on for eternity; I tried pressing the fast-forward button, but nothing happens. The editor appears to work, but I can't determine whether it has "bugs" or not since... weirdly, when using Firefox, I can't log into the forum and thus can't load anything from the trial manager. Login works fine in Chrome, but in FF, I just get the "successfully logged in" screen, but when returning to the forum, I'm still logged out; I tried it a couple of times with the same result.

Does that all make sense? ;-)

I never encountered these problems before today, but then again, I noticed that both the editor and the player have been updated today and look slightly different. Has Unas begun to implement the public beta or something?

EDIT: The editor HAS bugs in FF, namely a pretty serious one: I can't insert characters or backgrounds in the story board! :-(

EDIT EDIT: Screw the latter; turned out that I had inserted a custom "place", but hadn't given it a custom name apart from "...". When I changed that, it worked; but is it supposed to work that way?
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

GanonZD wrote:I never encountered these problems before today, but then again, I noticed that both the editor and the player have been updated today and look slightly different. Has Unas begun to implement the public beta or something?
I did upload a new version of the preview today because I wanted to run some tests against some of the online V5 trials, and I didn't notice any big problem after uploading it.

But I think I know what your problem is : on V6, you cannot play a trial if you're logged out, unless it's released publicly of course.
And if you're logged in, you can play trials that you own, trials you are a collaborator of, or trials you are a playtester of.

At the moment, when you try playing a trial for which you don't have authorisations, it just crashes and hangs - I haven't added a more user-friendly message yet. :)
But anyway, try loading public trials, or log in and try loading yours.
(And if you say you can't log in on the forums, enable cookies in your browser !)

GanonZD wrote:EDIT: The editor HAS bugs in FF, namely a pretty serious one: I can't insert characters or backgrounds in the story board! :-(

EDIT EDIT: Screw the latter; turned out that I had inserted a custom "place", but hadn't given it a custom name apart from "...". When I changed that, it worked; but is it supposed to work that way?
No, that's a bug. Thanks for reporting, I see it now and will fix it :-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Unas wrote: I did upload a new version of the preview today because I wanted to run some tests against some of the online V5 trials, and I didn't notice any big problem after uploading it.
Yes! I knew I was right. :-D We need a tag for randomness.
Unas wrote:But I think I know what your problem is : on V6, you cannot play a trial if you're logged out, unless it's released publicly of course.
And if you're logged in, you can play trials that you own, trials you are a collaborator of, or trials you are a playtester of.

At the moment, when you try playing a trial for which you don't have authorisations, it just crashes and hangs - I haven't added a more user-friendly message yet. :)
But anyway, try loading public trials, or log in and try loading yours.
Unfortunately, that's not the problem. As mentioned, I'm mostly trying to load the trials that are linked to in the preview announcements, i.e. the April 1st player preview and Turnabout Nightmare. Neither of these, nor the editor preview, work in Chrome, and in FF, they both contain serious bugs. The April 1st thing appears to have a bug related to timing; this may be in either the "wait" option or the text breaks like "[#]". That means that "objections" start at the same time as the speech supposed to follow it. Furthermore, it doesn't always remove previous sprites when changing to a new background, meaning that at some point, I encountered this picture on the top screen. I think I'll officially name it Judgemania:

And as to Turnabout Nightmare... well, as mentioned, in FF, it does load, but crashes in the second frame in the Defendant's Lobby. See previous post for details.

But BTW, I noticed that everything looks slightly updated AGAIN. :-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Meph

Post by Meph »

By the way, the code syntax used in the AAO6 preview trials has changed, so things like timers don't work. :)
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

The bugs on the April 1st preview are "normal" : as Meph said, I made some changes to the V6 file format recently.
For all V5 trials, it doesn't matter, because I also updated the converters to work properly, but for the April 1st preview it messes up everything. I'll update the announcement there in fact :-P

As for turnabout nightmare, there is a critical bug at the fifth frame or something like that, I'll upload the fix soon.
However, I have absolutely no problem loading trials with Firefox nor Chrome - except for the fact that Nightmare takes a while to load because of all the assets. The bugs I notice all appear after starting to play :-/
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Weird. I tried on a different computer, and Chrome had no problem at all there. But this computer (where the player does not load) is newer than that other one and completely up to date (and so is Chrome), so it's quite strange...

EDIT: I hereby bring you a screenshot of what it looks like when I try to load Nightmare:
And it pretty much stays there. Forever. :-(

EDIT EDIT: And no, nothing happens when I click the big red empty button.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Have you tried just clearing Chrome's cache ?
In theory, AAO6 forces the browser to use the latest version of files without doing that, but who knows - perhaps your Chrome has cached old or corrupted versions of the files.

Another possibility is simply that you have something blocking Javascript execution : a Chrome extension or something. Do you have any extension installed ? If so, have you tried disabling them ?
ImageImageImage
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

I already deactivated all extensions except Google's own, but nothing changed. Then, following your advise, I cleared the cache and deactivated the rest of the extensions; then it worked. I then reactivated the extensions again; it still works. Seems the problem has been solved somehow. :-D
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Titi
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese and Spanish

Post by Titi »

I can't wait for AAO6 to be finished! :D
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Hi, er, not sure if this was reported before, but I found a small bug:

On a frame that has a timer, that has a flash on the very beginning of it and a sfx, the text written on the frame isn't displayed. At all. :?
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Can you please give me a precise reference to where you see the bug ?
Which trial, which frame ?

With the little information you give, I can't reproduce the problem on my end so I can't investigate its cause ;-)
ImageImageImage