AAO6 Public Beta launched!
As some of you know - and have ranted enough about it -, AAOv6 entered a private beta for the French section two weeks ago.
Given that I didn't have too much time over these last two weeks, I felt that I could deal better with the feedback from a restricted audience. Now that things have settled a little for me, it's time to open up.
Therefore, as of now, the AAOv6 public beta is open to all AAO members.
The AAOv6 beta is a new preview of the future version 6 of AAO, which brings to members the ability to save their own trials using V6 features and playtest them afterwards.
As such, it is not a final nor stable version, and may contain important bugs. The very aim of that Beta is to get feedback from all members, in order to locate and fix problems.
Additionally, before proceeding to try the AAOv6 Beta, it is important that you understand the following limitations :
- AAOv6 can load and play trials created on AAOv5 - you are welcome to try playing some of your old trials in the AAOv6 Beta player.
However, you shouldn't use the AAOv6 Beta editor on your old trials. Saving a trial in the V6 editor implies a one-way conversion process. Once this is done, you will not be able to play your trial on V5 anymore - and if important bugs appear in the V6 beta, your trial may be completely corrupted and lost.
- AAOv6 is not complete yet. Most importantly, the AAOv6 Beta doesn't include the AAOv6 manager yet. Therefore, some functions that are to be part of the AAOv6 manager will not be available anymore after you convert a trial to the AAOv6 Beta. These include :
- The trial's title, language and its "completed" status cannot be set anymore once a trial is migrated. Be sure to set them all properly before migrating a trial to V6 Beta.
- The settings to organise trials as a series won't be available anymore either.
- The backups engine (which enables you in V5 to restore older versions of your trial in case of problems) is not implemented in AAOv6 yet
- Permission settings have changed in V6.
If a trial is marked as "completed", then it is playable by everyone; otherwise, it is only playable by the author and his collaborators
Now that you're aware of all this, it's time to get to the serious stuff.
To start using V6 beta, please load the trial manager using the following link : AAO v6 Beta manager
It opens the V5 manager, but all the links in it now point to the V6 Beta player and editor. You can therefore use it to create a new trial, and open it in the V6 editor.
Once you save a trial in the V6 Beta editor, it will always open in the V6 Beta player or editor afterwards, since it won't be compatible with the V5 apps anymore.
I will try to find the time to write a few tutorials about the important changes and new features from V5, but for the moment you'll just have to explore all by yourselves
As your try this new version, don't hesitate to give some feedback, be it suggestions or bug reports. Please use the new dedicated forum section for this.