[P] Pop-ups don't work.

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Exedeb
Spoken languages: Italian, English

[P] Pop-ups don't work.

Post by Exedeb »

- Windows 8
- Google Chrome
- TAKE A LOOK!
- In short, I've uploaded my gif files in AO V6. All these gif are animated and after they animate once they stop to do it. However, when I use them in my AO case, they show the animation in a wrong way.
- Ok here's an example. This is one of my gif I use in my case:
Spoiler : :
As you can see, it animates once, and then it stops. And it is right.
However, when I have to reproduce it again in my case (since it's a Objection pup-op), the gif doesn't animate.

The obvious question is: How can I fix it?
Thank you.
Reverie
Spoken languages: English

Re: [P] Pop-ups don't work.

Post by Reverie »

You're going to have to temporarily publish that trial, since it's V6; without doing so, nobody can see the example.
Just change "Finished?" to "Yes." You can still edit things and change it to "unfinished" afterwards.
Anyways, have you got a wait timer on the frame you put the popup on? You haven't said if the popup lingers on the screen or if it's something different, but if it's the former, I think you need a wait timer.
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Nahh, this is a problem in Chromium browsers. The popups do appear again in firefox.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Was wondering... Is there a way for the AAO player to force gifs to reload themselves so they re-animate themselves every time it's called? Or is it just not possible?

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Spyromed wrote:You're going to have to temporarily publish that trial, since it's V6; without doing so, nobody can see the example.
Just change "Finished?" to "Yes." You can still edit things and change it to "unfinished" afterwards.
Well, Enthalpy and I have access to it anyway, so if he doesn't want to make it entirely public he does not need to - that's his choice ;-)

Anyway, the problem is that there is no standard way to restart a gif animation in browsers.
I use a set of tricks to force browsers to do it but it can always break at some point when browsers get updated and their behaviour changes. I'll have to check with the latest Chrome I guess !
kwando1313 wrote:Is there a way for the AAO player to force gifs to reload themselves so they re-animate themselves every time it's called? Or is it just not possible?
It depends what you mean by reloading.

I can brutally append random stuff to the URL : in that case, the browser will think it's a completely different picture, then download it again, and restart it, yes. It would work in most cases (though some exotic server configuration on the picture host might blow that off)... But it would cause lags, loading time each time the picture is displayed, and increase bandwidth usage by a lot. It's definitely not a proper solution.

The other way, which I do in AAOv6, is to generate a new Image object to load the picture, but it's not enough : even when doing so, browsers tend to fetch it from the cache in its latest state (so, end of animation if animation has already been played) - and I have to rely on some obscure tricks to get browsers to restart it :-/
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Exedeb

Post by Exedeb »

Unas wrote:
Spyromed wrote:You're going to have to temporarily publish that trial, since it's V6; without doing so, nobody can see the example.
Well, Enthalpy and I have access to it anyway, so if he doesn't want to make it entirely public he does not need to - that's his choice ;-)

Anyway, the problem is that there is no standard way to restart a gif animation in browsers.
I use a set of tricks to force browsers to do it but it can always break at some point when browsers get updated and their behaviour changes. I'll have to check with the latest Chrome I guess !
kwando1313 wrote:Is there a way for the AAO player to force gifs to reload themselves so they re-animate themselves every time it's called? Or is it just not possible?
It depends what you mean by reloading.

I can brutally append random stuff to the URL : in that case, the browser will think it's a completely different picture, then download it again, and restart it, yes. It would work in most cases (though some exotic server configuration on the picture host might blow that off)... But it would cause lags, loading time each time the picture is displayed, and increase bandwidth usage by a lot. It's definitely not a proper solution.

The other way, which I do in AAOv6, is to generate a new Image object to load the picture, but it's not enough : even when doing so, browsers tend to fetch it from the cache in its latest state (so, end of animation if animation has already been played) - and I have to rely on some obscure tricks to get browsers to restart it :-/
Mmmh, well then, I think I should use my idea: in my pop-ups gifs, instead of asking to repeat once, I ask to repeat forever. But at the end of the animation, I make a silence of 1 second.
In this way I can use it all the times I want.
Anyway I want to precise I had this problem some weeks ago, which means I didn't have this problem before.
Anyway thank you again for the suggestions.

EDIT: Ok, I tried to do so, worse than before.
Exedeb

Post by Exedeb »

Should I wait for an update of the Engine or what...?
If i got correctly, the problem is Chrome...I could try with a different browser, like Firefox.
Exedeb

Post by Exedeb »

Any ideas? I have to continue but because of this I can't use popups.
Exedeb

Post by Exedeb »

Ok i found a solution.
In short, put your popups in Places. In this way you can repeat the image.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

So you're saying that if the picture is set as an object in the Places tab it restarts, whereas if it's a popup in the storyboard it doesn't ?

That's more than weird, because in theory I use the same way to load both... But I'll check, to be sure.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Exedeb

Post by Exedeb »

Unas wrote:So you're saying that if the picture is set as an object in the Places tab it restarts, whereas if it's a popup in the storyboard it doesn't ?

That's more than weird, because in theory I use the same way to load both... But I'll check, to be sure.
Yes, that's what i meant.
In fact it's strange, but in this way i don't have problems with reloading the gif.
At least it's a way to avoid this problem.