[E] Old Press Convo Getting Stuck Under New Press Convo

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

[E] Old Press Convo Getting Stuck Under New Press Convo

Post by Tiagofvarela »

I think this is more of a glitch than a bug, but in the Trial Editor, when I create a new statement for a cross examination, the thing seems to have bugged and:
The press conversation from the statement I was viewing(http://i.imgur.com/CLOpI07.png) when I created a new statement, got stuck under the press conversation from the New Statement(http://i.imgur.com/yoIcI2r.png and http://i.imgur.com/1oIi8BA.png).
And it's the entire conversation as well (minus the first frame, for some reason): http://i.imgur.com/f7IHY9W.png

I'm using Firefox 29 (I think?) on Windows 10
http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/editor. ... l_id=77479 (It disappeared after I saved)

The reason I called this a glitch is because it disappeared after saving the trial and reloading.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Arivenzys
Spoken languages: Français, English

Re: [E] Old Press Convo Getting Stuck Under New Press Convo

Post by Arivenzys »

I did met this kind of glitch/bug too, and it's more a nuisance than a real problem. But it can mess up the edits.
For myself, I'm on Chrome, so it's not only on Firefox.

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Probably related to this bug. I hope to look into this soon. When I do, I'll likely have some follow-up questions for you.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Tiagofvarela

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Enthalpy wrote:Probably related to this bug. I hope to look into this soon. When I do, I'll likely have some follow-up questions for you.
Just for clarity, the trial is fine. What disappeared was the glitched press.

As he put it, it's nothing more than a nuisance that can make you mess up when you're writing/editing, but it goes away after you save.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

The words glitch and bug are interchangeable, so calling it a bug doesn't say anything about how severe the problem is.

This bug is more than a nuisance, if it is the one Broyito reported. While saving will restore the trial, if you edit your trial first instead of saving, you could end up with a broken game.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Tiagofvarela

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Enthalpy wrote:The words glitch and bug are interchangeable, so calling it a bug doesn't say anything about how severe the problem is.

This bug is more than a nuisance, if it is the one Broyito reported. While saving will restore the trial, if you edit your trial first instead of saving, you could end up with a broken game.
Is that so? I added a couple of frames and wrote "bug test" on them, then saved and the trial was fine for me.
From what little I know, I don't think these issues really have anything to do with each other.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

I have to agree with Enthalpy here, it sounds pretty serous.
These kind of errors, which cause a frame to be displayed when it shouldn't, are dangerous, because they might allow you to make edits which you should not be able to do and would break your trial.

Here, you were lucky enough nothing bad happened, because you saved and reloaded just after that, but it's clearly not safe.

Can you consistently reproduce the problem ? I mean, can you give us some instructions which will systematically trigger this issue ? If you can, this would be a big help.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Tiagofvarela

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Unas wrote:I have to agree with Enthalpy here, it sounds pretty serous.
These kind of errors, which cause a frame to be displayed when it shouldn't, are dangerous, because they might allow you to make edits which you should not be able to do and would break your trial.

Here, you were lucky enough nothing bad happened, because you saved and reloaded just after that, but it's clearly not safe.

Can you consistently reproduce the problem ? I mean, can you give us some instructions which will systematically trigger this issue ? If you can, this would be a big help.
I see, I understand now how it can actually be a problem.

I have been able to pinpoint a way that I can reproduce the issue. At least on my trial.
*Open my trial: http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/editor. ... l_id=77479
*Open statement 1261.
*While viewing this statement, create a new one in the cross examination. This new one has to be to the right of statement 1261 (I don't get it either).
*The first time you press to create a new statement nothing will happen. The first couple of times I thought I misclicked, but no.
*Try to create a new statement again. This time, it should bug. It doesn't matter where you create the new statement now, be it right or left.

Further data:
I have switched to Windows Vista. The issue is still possible to reproduce.
The press conversation that gets stuck under a new statement will consistently stay there no matter how many you create, and will also stay under complete press conversations.
It will also stay under itself. Meaning if I got the press conversation from Statement A to get stuck under Statement B, if I opened statement A again it would also stay there.
Example:
This is the Press Conversation that got stuck under all the other press conversations. http://i.imgur.com/OgeLall.png
If I scroll to the bottom of it, it is also stuck under itself. So reopening the bugged conversation doesn't fix it. http://i.imgur.com/vk5Lcmc.png

Note:
I haven't been able to get any other statement than 1261 to bug, I believe the statement itself is connected to the overall bug, for some reason.
Last edited by Tiagofvarela on Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Thanks a lot, it's a big help !

For the record, I've created a manual backup of your trial's current state ( http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/editor. ... 1439299485 )
That way, you can keep working on it if you want, but Enth and me will both be able to reproduce on this backup using your instructions, in order to investigate.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Arivenzys

Post by Arivenzys »

I didn't manage to reproduce the bug, it seems to happen at random for me, but the way it happen is pretty similar to Tiago's.
Also, if I remember correctly, I did met it on a Investigation place block, not only on a Cross-examination block.
Have you an idea of where it come from ?

Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

There's a very good chance that it has to do with the "row map" mechanism in the editor, which is how the editor keeps track of which frames aren't in a cross-examination or scene, which frames are in which press conversation, which frames are in which talk conversation, and so on. Unas gives further details here. I'm hoping to start looking at this much more in-depth today.

I'm not surprised to hear that this bug affects investigations too. Could you elaborate on what you did to reproduce the bug?
Arivenzys

Post by Arivenzys »

I created an event block, then added some messages to fill the different parts, and tried to switch between conversation in edition, alterning with saves.
And everything went fine. I don't exactly remember the manipulations I could have made when I encountered the bug before, but if I happen to recreate it accidentally, I'll take notes.

Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I'll take a look at it. Two clues for Unas's benefit:

* If you use the develop branch to investigate this, there's a small glitch you need to fix before you can actually open the editor: In Pull Request #10, I forgot a comma between "trial_data" and "editpanels" in editor_profile's dependencies. That will be fixed in my next commit!
* The console shows an uncaught NavigatorOnNullBlock exception, but it's not tied to a specific line. Testing shows it's in the nav.goToNext method.

I'll include more information as I get it.
Tiagofvarela

Post by Tiagofvarela »

I've noticed something.
The first frame from the press conversation in the bugged statement linked to another cross examination entirely (I have 3 CE's, the press conversation from CE3 was mistakenly linking to a press conversation from CE2 - via the "Proceed to Another Frame" action).
Upon removing it, I've been unable to reproduce the issue again. Presuming no fixes were implemented, or the issue did not fix itself by the time I reported up until I changed the first frame just now, then changing that frame fixed the issue.

However, even by reproducing the same conditions (first frame in press conversation links to CE2 - not sure on the exact statement) on another frame, I cannot emulate the issue again...
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

No fixes have been implemented at this time; it's still being investigated.

Again, I'll include more details for Unas here as I get them, but it appears that when the edit method is run, the insertion index doesn't consistently take into account that the current press conversation loses visibility. I'm currently in the process of testing that idea.

EDIT: It looks like that's it. I'll be turning my attention to FramesRowMap's edit method.
EDIT 2: The press conversation of the current statement changes from being visible to invisible between when the refresh action to make a new statement is logged, and when the navigator seeks that position. That means the navigator is given a bad index to go to.