Possible Sprite Glitch

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

JillSandwich
Spoken languages: English

Possible Sprite Glitch

Post by JillSandwich »

When test playing my trial, everything works fine up until I reach the trial itself. Then, once the Judge begins court, all of the sprites just disappear. If I create a save right at that exact moment and then reload from that point, all of the court sprites return. Is this a bug or is something else going on?
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Re: Possible Sprite Glitch

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

We need more information. What did you do before then? What browser and Operating System are you using? When you mean save, do you mean save in the editor or save like a game save? If you mean save in the editor, this is intended behavior (until the newest code changes are integrated)
JillSandwich

Post by JillSandwich »

I've been using Chrome as my main browser. Up until tonight, everything has been going fine. All the sprites are present in the court lobby and I've double checked to make sure none of their links were broken. Now, during the dialogue and such in the lobby, everything is fine. However, when they actually enter the court, all of there sprites just... disappear, despite being there yesterday in earlier tests yesterday and before. Out of curiosity, I saved my game in the test play mode during one of the court sessions. When I reload from that save, all of the court sprites are back where they should be.

Is that a bit more clear? :o
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

Thank you, that's really weird.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

AceAttorneyMaster111 wrote:When you mean save, do you mean save in the editor or save like a game save? If you mean save in the editor, this is intended behavior (until the newest code changes are integrated)
Dynamic playtesting was enabled on-site the same day it was committed, over a month ago.
JillSandwich wrote:When test playing my trial, everything works fine up until I reach the trial itself. Then, once the Judge begins court, all of the sprites just disappear. If I create a save right at that exact moment and then reload from that point, all of the court sprites return. Is this a bug or is something else going on?
This is a bug. I've opened your trial myself, and it's exactly as you've said. The characters aren't on-screen, but according to the trial data, they should be on-screen.

I suspect that the problem is on frame 50, where you use the "ease out" transition. That feature is currently known to break in a way that can prevent characters from appearing on-screen. The reports we've had previously say this only occurs if you use the command on a timed frame, but your case isn't on a timed frame. It looks like there are other ways to trigger this bug that we didn't know about, and you found one of them.

Luckily for you, you can remove the "ease out" transition without any problems. The "ease out" transition is a command for scrolling, not fading. (There's a good chance fading will come in the next update.) That means that your "ease out" command currently isn't doing anything, since there is nowhere to scroll to. Remove that, and let me know if that fixes your problem. If it does, I'll make sure that problem will be fixed for the next update. If it doesn't, I'll look into what is causing it.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
JillSandwich

Post by JillSandwich »

Thank you so much! I took out that option and everything worked just fine. :3
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Alright, glad to hear it! Until the next AAO update comes out, I recommend only using the linear scrolling transitions. Anything else might cause the bug.

I'll do some more detailed checking in a couple of days to make absolutely sure this will be fixed in the next update.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Additional testing confirmed that this bug cannot be reproduced on the current developmental version of AAO. Expect this to be fully fixed in the next update!