Problem to create series / add trials to series

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Jofe
Spoken languages: Français [100%], English [70%]

Problem to create series / add trials to series

Post by Jofe »

In this post; I wrote about having problems adding a trial to my series. I ended up finding the origin of my problem: the manager has difficulties with the Unicode characters like É; Ç etc...

The name of my trial began with the french word "Épisode", so the first letter I wrote was automatically "É". As a result, the manager could not find the trial until the letter É was written. This is more of a problem for sections in other countries, but as bug topics go unnoticed on other sections, I mention it here.

This is not a dramatic bug, but it's pretty annoying to look around for a solution to a problem you're the only one to have. xD
Image Image Image Image Image
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Problem to create series / add trials to series

Post by Enthalpy »

Hmm, thanks for the report. It'll be a bit of time until I get to this, but this bug should be simple enough that it will be a good way for me to get back to site coding. Post again if you hear nothing from me in a week's time.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I've been able to reproduce this on the developer version. It looks like there's some information passing back and forth between two languages, PHP and JavaScript, both of which I'm rusty on. I'll need some time to figure out the code before I can fix this, but again, thanks for the report! How often do you want progress updates while I'm trying to fix this one?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Current status: It looks like that information passes from the characters you type to a URL to a search of the database. Characters are "escaped" when they pass to the URL, which changes the text... which the database doesn't expect. I'll need to do some more tinkering on this one, but I have a clearer idea of the problem.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

And now I (finally) have something more definitive. There's a processing step when trying to find a name in the AAO database or after finding a name in the AAO database. (The file is includes/TrialMetadataHandlerV5.class.php and the functions are decodeV5String and encodeV5String. When AAO pulls the trial name out of the database, the trial name uses the special character before and after processing. When AAO searches for it in the database, the special character is "transformed" into an HTML entity. This inconsistency is doubtless the cause of the bug. I'm hoping my attempts to fix this will be smoother from here on out!