[T] PWAA: Project Justice - Case 2 in development ●○○○○○

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [T] PWAA: Project Justice - Case 2 in development ●○○○○○

Post by Enthalpy »

Great! Let me know when you have it fixed up.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
ApolloGrimoire
Spoken languages: English

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

Spoiler : :
The issue has been addressed. Though I did have to add some additional dialogue to make it sound more coherent.

I'll have to update the evidence in Trial Latter later. Will notify when that's done.
Like the creator of Final Fantasy, I'm better at telling a story.
If you need help animating Ace Attorney sprite sheets, I'm your man.

Case 1 - Nursing the Turnabout: Trial Former, Trial Latter
Greatest Weakness - Mis;use of; Semi;colons
ApolloGrimoire

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

Spoiler : @Enthalpy :
The issue should be resolved now in both former and latter.

ApolloGrimoire

Re: [T] PWAA: Project Justice - Case 2 Christmas Preview ●○○

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

Apologies for the slight delay. Imgbox decided to think that 70% of the content didn't exist.

Now that its fine again, the preview of Case 2 is ready.

Case 2 of Project Justice is The Princess and The Turnabout.

Merry Christmas

Credit: Hesseldahl - Scenes, Sprites
SuperAJ3 - Background
Tap, LawfulMagician - Sprites
ApolloGrimoire - Sprites

ApolloGrimoire

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

First post updated

The synopsis for Case 2, The Princess and the Turnabout has been added along with a new member to the team. TheKayOne.
Both he and Hesseldahl are now editors, so the quality should see some significant improvement over the second case.

There's no timeline yet on when Trial Former will be out, but I will let you all know when progress has been made.

First bit of progress is that Trial Former has finished its scripting phase and is now going through the editing phase.

The main plan is to get Case 2 completed by the end of the year, and a preview is planned for Case 3.

Finally, some artwork has been realease of the first two cases' defendants. Also in the first post and Hesseldahl's thread, but here its here too.
Spoiler : Going the Wright Way :

ApolloGrimoire

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

The preview for Case 2 is down as I've now begun editing the script into the player.

ApolloGrimoire

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

Just want to show a screenshot here that Phoenix is in for another tough time again.

MayaFey300
Spoken languages: English,Spanish

Post by MayaFey300 »

Hello : I wanted ask you

How did you get AA6 Ost ?
ApolloGrimoire

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

This is where I've got to in the editor right now.
Not counting a certain scene... Phoenix will be using his magatama during a trial. (Those who know me know I did this before...)

Also, I'm giving veterans/newcomers to the franchise a option if you need to know how to use it.

Blizdi

Post by Blizdi »

ApolloGrimoire wrote:This is where I've got to in the editor right now.
Not counting a certain scene... Phoenix will be using his magatama during a trial. (Those who know me know I did this before...)

Also, I'm giving veterans/newcomers to the franchise a option if you need to know how to use it.

Oh yeah, I remember.
ApolloGrimoire

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

A quick update on Case 1.

Along with Reecer6's The Normal Turnabout and Evo's Turnabout Fake Difficulty, Nursing the Turnabout was featured here.

I will admit with how Trucy became the lawyer was poorly done, and steps have already been made to change that. Somehow, I also forgot to change Ema's sprites to her SOJ set.

All this will be done in the future. Probably after Case 2 Trial Former is completed.

Mlgmlg1

Post by Mlgmlg1 »

If you need another tester, than I would like to help with the production of the game.
OutoftheBrown
Spoken languages: English, portuguese, and a bitta español

Post by OutoftheBrown »

OK, I just finished playing it. The whole first case, I mean. I made some notes, but only until some point in Ali Care's first tertimony, in Trial Former. Beyond that I was just too tired of taking notes and stopped. I will just point out some things until then that I think are more relevant.

Just consider that these are personal observations. If you don't think it applies, ignore them at your heart's content.
Spoiler : spoilers for the whole thing, literally :
• The nurses are childhood acquaintances of Trucy, but that's a bit vague. You could have given that some background, mainly in how they met, just for the sake of context, you know?

• Angie says "don't tell me you kids were left here on your own" (pre-Trial Former) to two eighteen years old women.

• I don't see the necessity of calling their phones "e-phones", specially over voice mail. There are no relevant differences brought up, so I don't see how the alternative name is relevant.

• Apollo doesn't answer calls and has his phone off, and somehow, according to Trucy, it's the police's job finding him.

• I find it really, REALLY hard to believe that 1) a trial would be brought forward without previous announcement, 2) the baillif could dismiss the defense's absence without proper reasoning, AND while the defense has a completely valid reason to postpone the trial (incapacity of counsel), and 3) the JUDGE IN CHARGE OF THE TRIAL is the last one to be aware that the trial is to be brought foward.

• Trucy's defense: First of, there is no actual urgency to set Trucy as Ali Care's defense for the reason I said above (they could easily plead a postponement through incapacity of counsel), but let's pretend that's not a thing for a second. Let me approach it other wise. I got mixed messages in my quick research here, so I will approach considering the two sides of the thing:
One side, that yes, non-lawyer personnel can represent someone as defense - I still find it hard that Trucy would be allowed as Ali Care's defense (of course, considering Juniper Woods doesn't bring personal feeling in the matter). See, non-lawyers are only allowed in court as legal representative in really exceptional circumstances, if I have it right. Like financial inaptitude, or certain physical and/or mental disabilities. Ali Care has got no remotely urgent excuse to ask of Trucy to defend her.
And the other side, that no, non-lawyers can't represent a defendant in court, and well, that speaks for itself, doesn't it - Trucy can't be Ali Care's attorney, because she isn't an attorney. A fake badge and knowing how to read does not make a lawyer, dude. And Woods saying "ye, seems legit" doesn't make her a lawyer, either. Come on, I know the "test" thing happened in the previous games, but that was a necessary excuse for preparing the player for the game mechanics. The people taking the "tests" were already lawyers (Phoenix Whright, Apollo Justice), don't you think that making Trucy be greenlit as defense thanks to the freaking tutorial test is trifling, you know, the people who studied for years to go through law school and pass the freaking devil's bar exam? Regardless of any of this, I don't see the point in making Trucy the defense at all.

• Woods' Judgin': this is unlikely too. In Dual Destinies, at 18 years old she was doing a "judge course" (whatever that means), which I'll take as her law schooling. In the ending of Turnabout Academy, she promises Athena that "I'll [Juniper] get there [in the judge's bench] someday". Key word here, "someday", as in "fairly distant future" - and there is a good reason for that. Turning into judge is way more complicated than turning into lawyer, because you don't pass a test, and you're in - you need experience and reputation, mainly. That's because when you want to be a judge, you'll apply for a judgeship, to be rated by a nominating commission, which considers your history of legal practice and the opinions of politicians about you. For instance, you CAN be a judge without being in the bar - but you don't see judges not in the bar. It can happen, but it wouldn't happen, because it is highly considered a requirement by the comission when analyzing your legal competence and such. See what I'm getting at? You telling me Woods got a judgeship in these 2 years, is putting Woods in CLASS J (as in "Jesus") in the trope of the "gifted youngster", which I think is a trope as overused as emoticons nowadays. See: Miles, Franziska, Klavier Gavin, Athena.

• I could make some in-depth observations on the custom sprites, but they do the job just fine for being custom-made, and I would disintegrate my fingers of so much typing suggestions that might not even cross the street for you, so to spare us both, I will be pretty brief. Ali and Angie's front sprites are fine, just could do some work in blending and maybe the saturation of the colors. About Trucy's, they need some serious anatomy review, and extra reminder: Trucy is eighteen years old.

• Too many highlights, it confuses the player. The highlights should be used in key sentences that have to get to the player as "hey, psst, this might JUST MIGHT be pretty important later on, so remember it, maybe?".

• The dialogues at the end of the cross-examination statements, specially with Angie, are very long and are more irrelevant chit-chat than actual hinting for the progression of the cross-examination. Honestly, Angie's whole interaction in the bench is more annoying than anything else, for me.

• Uh, look, Payne's character is incredibly shallow by cannon and his motivation is simply arrogance. Every Payne is like that, basically. Other than that, they also always are extra-confident and arrogant when in the opposite bench sits a rookie. But you are giving him more and more unnecessary negative traits with the pretense of evidencing him like more of an asshole than he already is, and it shows. Trucy's "you meanie!!! you can't do that ! Junie, you are siding with him ?? " and Angie's "you jerk ! that's so ____ in so many levels! we got nothing to prove to the likes of you ! you will not accuse me of ___, because!" all the goddamn time gets annoying really fast. Meanwhile, you don't have Juniper stop Payne from referring to Trucy as "Little Miss" (which is a nickname that doesn't really make much sense. Again, she is eighteen, and by the looks of DD and SoJ, although maybe short, Trucy is not petite to the point of being called "Little").

• .......is Trucy literally a magical girl in this alternative universe, not a magician? Regardless, I fail to see what's the point of the magical floating panties with evidence.

• "Mister Payne, I hope you're not as mean to women as your brother": how does Juniper Woods know about Payne's brother? How does she know that his brother is "mean to women"? (thanks MartialArtsMaster for clarifying) Why- why is this being brought up here, how is it relevant, he hasn't done nothing yet. Look, I'm just confused about this line, because this only sounds to me as pandering.

• Roll What's-her-face's name is cited so many times that I don't see why she doesn't have a profile accounted of in the Court Record.

• "Kinda weird to shout a word during mid sentence for no reason, huh?" "Yeah, makes it sound like you've got milleritis or something", chatted Angie and Trucy with absolute focus on the case, and no badgering of the prosecution at all.

• Apollo and Athena have gone missing for more time than reasonable, but it's ignored completely, even after acknowledged.

• Trucy sounds (her clip voices) like she is eight years old.

• In Ema's cross-examination, pressing the first statement leads to obviously irrelevant line of questioning (the origin of the name of the place) but Payne, who is usually very picky with that, doesn't say a word.

• Trucy's knowledge about gunblades is brought up as if it was meaningful, somehow.

• Angie, the nurse, is impressed that the Forensics Investigator knows in fair depth what brain cancer is.

• Juniper Woods, the 20 years old miraculous judge, wonders "where do doctors get these names from anyway". Is she supposed to be kind of stupid, like the old judge?

• Ema Skye, Forensics Investigator, asks of Trucy Wright to refer to her as "Detective".

• Temolozolomide is brought up and defined more than once, implying future relevance. There was none.

• Bringing up cake and its flavor gets everyone yearn-y, as comedy prompt.

• "Hold my horse? Where would I put it? The pen outside is already full", Trucy says, as comedy prompt.

• "This wasn't said by me, but Nurse Nightingale said it felt like we were being watched", and yet, this is later used as conclusive evidence.

• You're supposed to remember, from everyone who was involved, who does and doesn't know about the autopsy results and when does each person learns about it, without there being a single note of it in the court record.

• It's really strange how they call the recipient of the poison "murder weapon". It's not. The murder weapon is the poison itself.

• Why is Trucy surprised there was no "murder weapon" on Ali? Did she expect there to be?

• I know you want to portray the police as incompetent, but nobody searching the accused is absolute bollocks. That is not something that happens.

• The whole thing of "I will not admit for the trial to continue until the """murder weapon""" is found" is stupid. If the judge thinks there is lacking investigation, they won't say "No, I'm not listening to you until you say where this missing thing is", they will STOP the trial and demand from the defense, the prosecution and the police further investigation.

• Trucy denying Ali Care to have a motive and Woods agreeing with it because Ali Care is a nurse and nurses are supposed to care for the sick, honestly, is just blatantly ridiculous.

• Payne seems very relaxed for a case as weak as his. I mean, he presents means to commit the murder, but he doesn't have a motive nor decisive evidence.

• When did Trucy badger with the Judge? I missed it, it seems.

• Ten minutes recess to eat a cake. Very legitimate, indeed.

• I honestly have no idea as to why Payne did the introduction he did before Ali Care's testimony. First he presents her sob backstory for absolutely no reason to help his own case, and follows to say that the nurse shouldn't have a caring relationship with the patient, which makes zero sense. Then he says that he never got a caring nursing basically because he is a cranky old dude, which in response of the defense claims out loud that his personality makes him undeserving of it, and isn't warned of badgering the prosecution.

• The paper being left in the basket is also stupid. Ema completely ignored it, did no fingerprint analysis, no handwriting analysis, zero statements were made about it, all of it without reason, and nobody raises a hand to question why. Turns out this is a MAJOR piece of evidence that you have to present through process of elimination since nothing else makes sense, and I have to wonder if that was all with the purpose of stamping it as a "legendary bluffing turnabout" when convenient, honestly.

• The whole cake thing is just weird. If everyone in the place liked Neville, why was Ali Care the only one to think of doing a cake in his birthday, specially in his last one? If she was having trouble with it, why not ask for help sooner? How did she mistake the ingredient's measurement if she was following a recipe? How did she make herself sick in the process? If Pecha Peach took over the making of the cake, assuming Ali was sick for over a day, Pecha would be done before Ali's recovery. Non-professional cakes take some hours to make, one day, tops. You don't need to "master" a recipe to bake a good cake.

• What's with the kiss in the forehead thing? Why did Juniper Woods question the witness about it, as if it was a big deal?

• In one sentence of Ali care's testimony, she says something along the lines of "I needed to go grab medicines in the pharmacy department", and pressing it leads to Trucy asking "where did you go to grab his medicines". Also, the "academy" having a lawsuit is absolutely over-reacted by the court.

• I didn't do the research in this one, but I find it hard that a brain deteriorating decease in terminal state would leave him only in a wheelchair, "losing" (not lost completely) arm movement, while thought process, speech, sight and etc. where undamaged. Also the "how did he eat the cake without arm movement, you liar" line of discussion while knowing he was in a institution with nurses is a no-brainer.

• This is more debatable, but Trucy offering for Pearl or Maya to channel someone to Angie is just weird. Picture it like this: you know how to draw, you draw really well. You make a cool drawing of your friend for them, and they really like it. Then they proceed to offer their other friend (who you don't even know of) for a drawing of themselves, one that you'll make. It's rude, you don't offer someone else's services in their behalf like that.

• "Why have the picnic at the Secluded Garden" is a pointless line of questioning. Why not have it there? A garden is not a strange place to have a picnic.

• "Gotcha" is hardly Apollo's catchphrase.

• If it wasn't allowed for Neville to take medication from anything but the tumbler, for whatever reason, and Ali still let him, she is doing her job very poorly. Medication handling is a very basic but vital duty of a nurse, and if she overlooks such a simple safety measurement in the handling, she should be fired. She doesn't have to only explain why something works some way, she has to make sure it works the way it's supposed to, whether the patient likes it or not. She mis-handled medication, and lo and behold, someone died because of it.

• The "someone was trying to kill Ali" discussion was dropped WAY too easy considering the circumstances.

• Nightmares are not even near evidence. You can make relations, but they have zero value stand-alone.

• Angie explains a dream-whatever disorder when it doesn't even make sense. She IS having a repeated dream, and it CAN be based around a memory, but as she says she can't make a connection with anything that happened, it just loses relevance. Even then, nightmares are hardly evidence, as it could be a lie, or, as it normally is, a fantastic result of stress, trauma, or etc.. I don't see how there is a whole discussion parting from that.
I was going to take notes through the whole thing, but as I said, I got a bit tired. If you think it could be helpful for me to take more notes, I can manage it, maybe. Also, in case you want to discuss the points, feel free to send a PM.
Last edited by OutoftheBrown on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
ApolloGrimoire

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

Just in case anyone missed it, I've updated Ema's sprites to her Spirit of Justice set.

@OutoftheBrown. Thank you for those notes. Some of them are valid and are being looked at.

I do plan on making minor updates in the future, but the main focus is the second case.

MartialArtsMaster

Post by MartialArtsMaster »

I can answer one of OutoftheBrown's questions:
Spoiler : :
The reason Juniper Woods knows Winston's brother Gaspen is mean to women is because she's experienced it personally; she was the defendant in Turnabout Countdown, and during that case, Gaspen relentlessly bullied and badgered her, driving her to tears. Even the Judge thought Gaspen was going too far.