[T][CE] The Broken Turnabout ★

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Calvinball
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T][CE] The Broken Turnabout ●

Post by Calvinball »

Spoiler : @lumine :
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much! (Also, if you got through it all that means the bugs have been eliminated. Whew!) Franziska von Karma is one of my favorite characters in Ace Attorney and exploring her character like this is something I've always wanted to do. She wasn't originally part of the concept of The Broken Turnabout, but she ended up fitting so well. I'm quite pleased it worked out this well, and I'm glad you like the portrayal!
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
RiksKing
Spoken languages: English, Dutch, Little bit German & French

Post by RiksKing »

Like I said, I played it! The trial was really good and, judging from what I've seen, indeed the most deserving winner! Here are some thoughts and "experiences" that I had. (I won't be going on about things that could be done better. I actually don't feel like I can say anything that could be done better. Sorry about that.)
Spoiler : :
So this trial is basically me ignoring warnings all over the place. The first "dumb" thing I did was starting to play this trial before I finished Turnabout Succession :XD:. Normally I don't think too highly of spoiler warnings, but I definetly should have looked at this one and safe this one for later.^^
The second dumb thing I did was ignoring that warning the editor gives you when you open up a safe after the case was being edited. So this basically led to me getting stuck on that Vera Misham present and not long after that I realised I had screwed up. Thank the lord for instant text typing!

I really liked the presence Von Karma had in this trial. Taking away all of your evidence and not allowing to use your "Lawyer Superpowers" was a really neat thing to do. It gives you that powerless feeling and it proves that the prosecution isn't fooling around. And because this case doesn't have a clear murderer, it's sort of necessary to give the player the idea that there is some of villain there you have to take down.

Also, the way you wrote the characters was near perfection if not perfect. I especially liked the way you wrote Franziska, Ema, (Mainly the testimony part, even though I barely understood anything of it, which could be because of me not having English as a first language, or not knowing anything about chemistry :XD:, I still enjoyed and it just... feeled right. ) The Judge and Athena making little remarks about psychology was also a thing I really enjoyed. It really helps in getting the full experience.

It's really impressive you're able to make out such a good trial with almost no evidence at all. The attorney's badge was used wonderfully. Even though the lack of evidence does make the trial fairly easy, I don't think it can be changed without rewriting the whole thing or atleast major plot parts, and I'm not even sure if I'd like it better that way. It's good as is.

After the present of the attorney's badge, I got that feeling that the trial wasn't going to give a full conclusion. I found it to be a bit of a shame to find out that I was right. I know that a defendant is innocent until proven guilty, and I like that it's being realistic with that here, but seeing Von Karma dropping the ball like that just made it feel... a bit anti-climactic? And again, I don't know if the case would be better of if it had a full end. Probably not, so I guess this is just a bit of a personal, little issue...

...but suprisingly, (and thankfully :) ) that issue got pretty much negated by the ending scene with Phoenix and Von Karma. (I said it was only a little issue because of the ending after the trial :P ) Now, I've once seen a ranking of all the AA characters up till AAI. In the description of Olga Orly it said this:
Solfadore wrote: She spent just a little too much time in “meek mode” for me to rank her any higher. It’s cool that she did that, or else the case would’ve been much shorter (and weaker), but though it strengthens the case, it doesn’t help her character. She’s pretty much a decoy villain, and that can only get you so far, sadly.
She's ranked 50. BTW

I do sort of think it did so here as well, but not necessarily with a character. Franziska at first drops the case and the player is left a bit astounded. "Did she just gave up, what happened?" were words going through my head when I reached that part, atleast. But then, you come to the conclusion that Franziska meant for this to happen and that she didn't want the guilty verdict. It does remove that villain feel where I was talking about earlier, but that doesn't matter at all. The character development you've given Franziska is really a beautiful thing, and I can't give any points of improvement on her character. (Not that I've pointed out a lot of things that could be improved, but oh well.)
Coming back on my earlier point with the Ranking thing, it actually sort of happened the other way around. But to a certain degree. Franziska gives up and the trial just ends. The player is in a bit of a shock. Then, you reach the ending on Vitamin Square (for which I'm really glad it was Phoenix and not Apollo) and give Franziska a reason to end the trial, and the shocky state we just had vanishes. It was a really neat concept.
I actually think that one scene there is the best scene in the whole trial, and it's inclusion is good. If it was left out, the ending would've felt really anti-climactic which I said earlier, so I'm really glad it's there.

All in all. I really enjoyed this trial! Even though I've never played 4-4 before, it still managed to be really entertaining. I hope to see more trials from you!
Also, please don't take any "critique" I had too harsh. With all the points I made here, I don't think the trial would've been of better if they were different.
--Captivated by Persona 4--
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Spoiler : @RiksKing :
I'm glad you liked the case! Yes, understanding The Broken Turnabout does really depend on knowledge of Turnabout Succession. If I may address your concern about the case lacking a clear murderer, that's Kristoph Gavin. It's explained briefly twice in the case, although it's something that ideally the player would probably know from playing Turnabout Succession; since you didn't, that's probably why you didn't realize it.

Aside from that, I'm glad you enjoyed the case! The hopeless feel of the case was a difficult thing to pull off right - too hopeless and the player gives up, but if you get it right it can draw some powerful emotions out of the player. Enthalpy really helped with that element of the case in beta-testing.

The attorney's badge was one of my favorite parts of the case. It wasn't something I came up with originally, but it did an incredibly good job of serving as a way for the case to be brought to a close. And concerning having the ending be with Phoenix instead of Apollo, that was very intentional, as the story is really more about Phoenix and Franziska than Apollo.

All in all, I'm super glad that you liked the case! It was a blast to make it and I'm really glad I got the chance.
Last edited by Calvinball on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Spoiler : Broken Turnabout Spoilers :
the story is really more about Phoenix and Franziska than Apollo.
Almost like in AJ, dohoho.
Last edited by Enthalpy on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding a spoiler tag.
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

(Psst... Gamer2002, put stuff in spoiler tags)
Spoiler : Why it's a spoiler :
It's not obvious at the beginning that Phoenix is going to make an appearance.
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

...Well... spoiler rules have long since expired for AJ...
Also...
Spoiler : Broken :
One of those Edgeworth sprites are glitchy. Namely, pose 3.
Last edited by Reverie on Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

The problem isn't that it's a spoiler for AJ. The problem is that it's a spoiler for Broken. >_>

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Spyromed wrote:
Spoiler : Broken :
One of those Edgeworth sprites are glitchy. Namely, pose 3.
Should be fixed now. Thank you for pointing it out! Can't for the life of me figure out why it happened, though...
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Good to see the case is back up! I haven't played the redone version yet, but it's nice to see a first trial get so much attention.

Oh, and echoing kwando, have you considered the possibility of a QA inspection for this case in the future?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

@Enthalpy: I plan on asking for a QA inspection relatively soon, but I'd like to wait a bit to see what other feedback I get from others. The latest version of this case was only released a few days ago, after all.
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
lumine

Post by lumine »

I thought the game was relatively flawless already... I'm surprised it hasn't been QA'd before I played it.
123fendas
Spoken languages: Svenska, English

Post by 123fendas »

Can you send me the full von Karma whip sound please in mediafire or something?
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

@123fendas: I actually didn't use the von Karma whip sound. I just carefully used timed frames and the "anger" sound effect followed by the von Karma whip sound in the editor. I'm afraid I haven't been able to find the von Karma whip sound anywhere (is von Karma being in the case a spoiler? I mean, she's on the "box-art," so to speak).
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
123fendas
Spoken languages: Svenska, English

Post by 123fendas »

@calvinball Yeah I thought so too after playing a bit of the case. And no, von Karma isn't really a spoiler to me. But idk.

@calvinball Actually, I think it's your own fault if you get spoiled on AAO. I've gotten spoiled a few times just by looking at the profiles in the editor. And i've gotten spoiled many times by the Ace Attorney Wikia too.
Last edited by Enthalpy on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not double post.
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

@123fendas: Oh no, you misunderstood; I wasn't referring to spoilers for JFA, I was referring to spoilers for The Broken Turnabout. She's on the "box art" for The Broken Turnabout, though, so mentioning the whip sounds isn't much of a spoiler, really.
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper