[M][CE] R E M ○

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Acid Rain
Spoken languages: English, Canadian Redneck English

[M][CE] R E M ○

Post by Acid Rain »

Spoiler : Foreword :
Hey, AAO. I know I dropped off the face of the Earth after the competition ended, but I think it's time to wrap up this thing, one way or another. Straight-up, REM is not done, and as of this moment I don't feel nearly motivated enough to finish it properly. Right from submission, I had a decently-sized list of all the things I wanted to touch up or re-do in REM, and now, more than a month later, the list is hardly dented, and working on it has just been getting harder and harder to do. Essentially, making REM is no longer fun - it's a chore. With how mixed-up life is for me right now, it's just another log burning on my funeral pyre, which is the last thing I need.

So screw it.

Basically, everything I had wanted to do with the ending of REM refused to come together smoothly, with a number of graphics looking really sub-par, and a few other things being literally unobtainable. I also realized that I did a pretty shoddy job of actually telling the story that I had set out to actually tell in this part of REM, instead having it feel phoned-in and typical, two traits that I absolutely don't want attributed to my work. For the past few weeks I have been trying to re-work it, but it's just getting messier, and I would rather leave REM unfinished than leave it bad. I realize that this choice will severely damage REM as a whole (obviously), and in particular I feel bad about having no real payoff for the ridiculous amount of work required to actually get to the ending. (Although, if it's any consolation, parts two and three were never going to see the light of day in the first place.) Fortunately, almost all of REM is there, and you can experience the majority of it without even attempting the puzzles, so there's that. And while it is notably rough in spots, it is/was passable enough to win AAEO. In the end, I know I will regret my decision to give up, but at the same time, I feel it's something that I really need to do. It's not out of the question that I will one day come back to this and touch-up a few things, but it's probably best for everyone if I just moved on to something else.
All of that being said, I'm still extremely happy with what I've made here. I think I (mostly) accomplished what I set out to do, and I had a ton of fun making it! (Mostly.) I hope you all enjoy REM as much as I have!
R E M is a psychological adventure game created for the Ace Anything Else Online competition (which it won!). Among other things, R E M sets itself apart from other games on the AAO engine by focusing on the fine details of the presentation and storytelling, utilizing the editor (and player) in bizarre ways, and trying to be generally weird and creepy. Before you start playing (assuming you have intention of doing so), here are a couple of things to keep in mind:

-Use Firefox. Alternatively, if you enjoy playing games where nothing works properly, I invite you to try a different browser.
-While R E M is far from scary (by my standards, at least), it was intended to be a horror game, and as such, it would be best to play somewhere dark and quiet.
-On that note, headphones are also recommended. Especially since you literally won't be able to hear certain sound effects without them. Yeah. I don't get it either.
-The puzzles are brutal and you will cry.
-There is one sound file that is way bigger than anything else (it's ~30 minutes long), and will be a little gray section on the loading bar for like, 8 minutes. You can usually start without it and it will have loaded by the time the game starts. If there is music playing when the first real dialogue starts, it loaded. You'll figure it out pretty quick if not.

Also, there's no walkthrough because it would be more fun to work through it as a group, and it's not like I can stop you from looking at the editor anyway. Not to mention Gamer and enigma already know how to beat it.
Spoiler : Credits? :
Everything by Acid Rain
Mad props to Google Image search and Gimp's 'Burn' tool for the backgrounds, though.
Also thanks to enigma and Gamer2002 for giving me a reason to finally make this.

rip less cool ttt banner
Gamer2002

Re: [M][CE] R E M ○

Post by Gamer2002 »

[spoiler="re spoiler]:(

Maybe you'll finish it some day.[/spoiler]

Anyway, now people can judge if our judging was fair ;P

Anyway, I have a question.
Spoiler : :
So this version is the exact same one me and enigma played, right?
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

You know, if you ever change your mind, you can still edit after it's released. No pressure tho.
Reverie
Spoken languages: English

Post by Reverie »

Spoiler : Partial SoC :
* alright time for easy modo!
* "Too goddamn early O'clock." You and me both, friend.
* Are we supposed to hate this music? Because... it's oddly pleasant.
* Now that Morgan's eyes have been hurt from the screen's brightness he's probably the most relatable character on this site.
* can we get out this chatroom or nah
* ...Is the chatroom supposed to skip like that as part of the "horror" or...?
* ...the crying actually got me gg
* morgan knock on her door
* knock on her door dude
* It's okay, I've got my snac-- oh, no. They're gone too.
* Title significance
* ...I was under the impression Morgan was a 40-something father of Caitlin but schoolkid works too I guess
* If your wondering why my bed has no sheets on it,
* hey there kurashiki... is that supposed to be some sort of hallucinatory girl?
* HE CHAINED OFF THE REST OF THE SNACKS TOO GODDAMN IT
* i'm not picking up this dog
* guess i'm picking up the dog
* 10762019754388Nice clue.
* ...Oh now her door is available
* but I didn't even click go to sleep
* Okay, so I've done everything I can. There's blood in Cait's room, paintings changed to green/red/black/blue/missing, there's the FADE hexagon thing, and 10762019754388.
* Hm. What if I change the channel to 10762019754388.
* ok
* ...Regardless, this is some quality television.
* I've found Toriel (thanks enigma) but I won't rest until I get Wiseau.
* ....................It's Kurashiki because Morgan is a woman, isn't she.
* you think i'll stop between 9 and 19?
* Help it's stuck on Wiseau
* ...where did babby's first adventure game mode go

Nothing's jumping out as a way to progress right now, so I'll stop here for now.
But these custom assets are... very, very good. Even the best custom assets in other cases can usually be made in PShop or Gimp or whatever... Here, I have no idea how you managed these. Especially that preloading animation.
Acid Rain

Post by Acid Rain »

@Gamer - I don't think enough has been added to merit replaying... but who am I to stop you? :P

@AAMaster - Oh yeah, I know. I really hope that I'll finish it someday, but it won't be anytime soon.

Responses in red
Spyromed wrote:
Spoiler : Partial SoC :
* alright time for easy modo!
* "Too goddamn early O'clock." You and me both, friend.
* Are we supposed to hate this music? Because... it's oddly pleasant.
Depends on your taste. Personally, I'm a huge fan of all of them. Morgan is not.
* Now that Morgan's eyes have been hurt from the screen's brightness he's probably the most relatable character on this site.
* can we get out this chatroom or nah
* ...Is the chatroom supposed to skip like that as part of the "horror" or...?
One of the things on my list was to break up the chat into smaller parts because sometimes it screws up. Beyond that all I can say is you didn't actually miss anything.
* ...the crying actually got me gg
no re
* morgan knock on her door
* knock on her door dude
* It's okay, I've got my snac-- oh, no. They're gone too.
* Title significance
* ...I was under the impression Morgan was a 40-something father of Caitlin but schoolkid works too I guess
Stating this for the record since enigma and Gamer were also slightly off the mark: Morgan and Caitlyn are friends; they are both in their mid-late twenties; they have both graduated from post-secondary and now work (Caitlyn is a painter). Also, Morgan is a girl. I thought most of that was clearly implied, but apparently I didn't put enough focus on that aspect. :side:
* If your wondering why my bed has no sheets on it,
fixed
* hey there kurashiki... is that supposed to be some sort of hallucinatory girl?
"Kurashiki is a historic city located in western Okayama Prefecture" is all I got from googling kurashiki.
* HE CHAINED OFF THE REST OF THE SNACKS TOO GODDAMN IT
* i'm not picking up this dog
* guess i'm picking up the dog
* 10762019754388Nice clue.
* ...Oh now her door is available
* but I didn't even click go to sleep
* Okay, so I've done everything I can. There's blood in Cait's room, paintings changed to green/red/black/blue/missing, there's the FADE hexagon thing, and 10762019754388.
:chew:
* Hm. What if I change the channel to 10762019754388.
* ok
* ...Regardless, this is some quality television.
* I've found Toriel (thanks enigma) but I won't rest until I get Wiseau.
* ....................It's Kurashiki because Morgan is a woman, isn't she.
...No and yes? For real though what/who is Kurashiki?
* you think i'll stop between 9 and 19?
** :chew: ING INTENSIFIES*
* Help it's stuck on Wiseau
Also fixed.
* ...where did babby's first adventure game mode go
On the scrapped pile with the rest of the game lol
Nothing's jumping out as a way to progress right now, so I'll stop here for now.
But these custom assets are... very, very good. Even the best custom assets in other cases can usually be made in PShop or Gimp or whatever... Here, I have no idea how you managed these. Especially that preloading animation.
While I appreciate that you think I'm talented enough to have made the loading animation, I didn't. I just googled "loading animation" and found one that looked cool. The rest of them were made in Gimp, though. Because REM takes place at night, the BGs would be dark, which let me edit actual photos to look like they fit with the standard AA style without being conspicuous.

rip less cool ttt banner
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

Wow, this is GRAPHIC.
I want to play this.
ImageImage Image Image Image
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

So.

Do we at least all agree that the Hardest Award was well deserved? :P
Mr. Onizuka
Spoken languages: English, Español

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

Wow, this game is INTERESTING. Been playing it for hours. I've got a question:
Spoiler : Question...! :
I found that weird "???" Freddy Fazbear thing in the hallway. He asks about an specific paragraph in a certain book... the thing is, that book exists in pdf form if you google search it, and I've copy-pasted that paragraph, completely written it in the answer, double checked if I didn't have any typo, to no avail... is this broken, or there's something I'm doing wrong?
By the way, when are you finishing this? It's really good, and it captures the atmosphere of a horror game.

EDIT: Just read that you won't be finishing it... what a shame! But still, understandable, as I haven't even finished what I'm working on to a presentable state. If you decide to finish it, please know I'll be there to play this to the end.

Ah, BTW, Kurashiki is Akane Kurashiki, an important character in the Zero Escape saga (play it!). She is the lady you used for the TV reflection (Morgan's face?).
Acid Rain

Post by Acid Rain »

Mr. Onizuka wrote:Wow, this game is INTERESTING. Been playing it for hours. I've got a question:
Spoiler : Question...! :
I found that weird "???" Freddy Fazbear thing in the hallway. He asks about an specific paragraph in a certain book... the thing is, that book exists in pdf form if you google search it, and I've copy-pasted that paragraph, completely written it in the answer, double checked if I didn't have any typo, to no avail... is this broken, or there's something I'm doing wrong?
By the way, when are you finishing this? It's really good, and it captures the atmosphere of a horror game.

EDIT: Just read that you won't be finishing it... what a shame! But still, understandable, as I haven't even finished what I'm working on to a presentable state. If you decide to finish it, please know I'll be there to play this to the end.

Ah, BTW, Kurashiki is Akane Kurashiki, an important character in the Zero Escape saga (play it!). She is the lady you used for the TV reflection (Morgan's face?).
*slowly emerges from shadows*

Hey, thanks for playing!
I went to check, and it seems like it was screwing up for some reason that I am still unsure of? In any case I re-pasted the solution into a second potential answer, and it appeared to solve the problem. I think something about the way the lines were arranged in the paragraph were making the answer different if you pasted them but like I said, I don't really know. If the problem persists, send me a PM with what you're trying to answer with.
And I would have understood immediately if he had said "Akane" or "June". >_>

*recedes into the shadows*

rip less cool ttt banner
Mr. Onizuka

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

Ok, came back to it. Thanks for repairing "Freddy Fazbear".

...I got stuck around here. And I have a question.
Spoiler : Possible spoiler for one of the possible puzzles in this game DONTLOOKIFYOUWANTTOSOLVEITANDARENOTGIVINGUP(SORTA)LIKEIMPOSSIBLYDOINGTHANKS :
...Those screenshots... are a hint for the Alternate room puzzle, huh? (to be honest, I think I'm in the right track here). My real question is do I have everything I need to solve this puzzle? (Currently in my inventory: Diary, Toby, GBA, BBall, Sponge, Stack of CDs) Am I missing a piece I need to solve the puzzle?
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Nobody answers so I allow myself to do this.
You also need a car.
Mr. Onizuka

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

*BUMP CHECK* Regained motivation? Was lurking the forums, and remembered just how awesome this little experiment was.
ParrotMan01
Spoken languages: English

Post by ParrotMan01 »

This was an interesting game...for as far as I could get into it.
Again, just passing through...