[T] A Laggy Turnabout ★

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Declaro
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T] A Laggy Turnabout ★

Post by Declaro »

Hey, congrats, man!
SkylaGaming

Post by SkylaGaming »

Fun case, I really enjoyed it! Thanks for the fun it provided!
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Declaro wrote:Hey, congrats, man!
Thank you kindly.
Looking forward to working with you on producing the next masterpiece...
...according to certain highly unbiased experts.
SkylaGaming wrote:Fun case, I really enjoyed it! Thanks for the fun it provided!
Thank you. Glad you enjoyed yourself playing my case!
Thanks for commenting.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Cassandra Clay

Post by Cassandra Clay »

The writing is excellent, I really enjoyed the plot twist and throughout the story, it constantly kept me guessing as to who the culprit was. So far, this is the only trial with multiple endings I've seen on this game and I'd love to find more trials with extra endings. Unfortunately, I found the endings to be weaker due to the dialogue with Brushel, Phoenix and Trucy. It would've been better to just have Apollo narrate over a black screen. However, Stuffy is the worst part. If you replaced him with Edgeworth, Von Karma, Godot, Klavier or Blackquill, it would've suited the setting. Even Winston and Gaspen Payne would be more suitable than this creature. I know that Stuffy is supposed to be a silly comedic relief character, but it's too jarring and breaks the immersion for me. Perhaps I'd like Stuffy more if he was kept out of this case and placed into a more lighthearted and sillier one.
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

I pressed in Ema's testimony on "...since he had been shot in the back with an old pistol." and selected the old pistol. After the prosecutor does something spoilery, Phoenix says something, and then the game ends. Is this on purpose or is this a bug?
Tiagofvarela

Post by Tiagofvarela »

AceAttorneyMaster111 wrote:I pressed in Ema's testimony on "...since he had been shot in the back with an old pistol." and selected the old pistol. After the prosecutor does something spoilery, Phoenix says something, and then the game ends. Is this on purpose or is this a bug?
Absolutely a bug. How this thing still has bugs after this whole time is beyond me, but that is certainly not intended behaviour.
In theory, it is now fixed. For the bilionth time.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
dirtypupper

Post by dirtypupper »

Dang, this was a good case. The contradictions were pretty creative and complex, but weren't so hard that I felt the need to use the walkthrough. Especially when Phoenix was there to help with the particularly hard parts. I also like the touch that phoenix's objection theme plays if you ask for help.

Initially, I hated the prosecutor, but I warmed up to....him? the part where I started to see him as funny and not annoying is when he's desperately saying "pick me pick me" to answer a question. It's absurd and i love it. Thought his theme was annoying, but that's nitpicky.

Not sure why it's called the laggy turnabout tho

overall i give it 9 umvc3 phoenix's dabbing out of 10
Tiagofvarela

Post by Tiagofvarela »

dirtypupper wrote:Not sure why it's called the laggy turnabout tho
Hm. Haven't actually explained that anywhere.
Spoilers for the whole case:
Spoiler : :
Because there's a time lag between when he was shot and when he died. More specifically, I think of it like death only caught up with him later than it should have.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Sausagefanclub

Post by Sausagefanclub »

Hello! I've been lurking on this site for quite some time now, and I decided to make my first forum post to tell you how much I enjoyed this case. I saw your awards ceremony for your "No Pressure" competition a while back, and there was something I really liked about it. Anyway, that's what later got me interested in checking out your case. Here are my thoughts:
Spoiler : Spoilered spoilers :
- So first off, I found Stuffy to be a really likable character. He's adorable and silly, but I think my favorite thing about him was that he wasn't fixated exclusively on winning the case and giving Brushel the guilty verdict; he seemed to be just as interested in finding out the truth as the defense was (well, until he realized who the real shooter was), like when he scolded his witness for lying. It's a nice break from all the witty banter prosecutors tend to bring with them. I do have one question, though: Is that really a costume, or does he actually look like that? Or is it meant to be left to the player's interpretation? Either way, I'd love to see him make a return in a future case.
- The case itself never felt unfair or boring. I admit I did brute-force it a few times, but when I found the answer, it never made me think "How was I supposed to figure that out?!". Phoenix's hints were helpful, too. I was able to get all 3 endings without the walkthrough, although I should go back and check out those "Extra" bits sometime. I found a few contradictions by remembering something from earlier in the case, though from what I've heard, apparently there still would have been a way for me to figure it out if I'd forgotten that stuff, so that's pretty neat! I actually figured out the locked room puzzle very early on in the trial (I was practically screaming it by the time I got Apollo to discover Travis's condition :P), but that didn't stop it from being fun.
- The whole situation with Violeta really made me feel something. She was so naïve and innocent, and her father was even willing to frame himself to cover for his daughter's mistake, which I found to be quite touching. Then came the uncomfortable subject of teaching a child what death means, which Stuffy handled pretty well, considering that telling her the full truth could have ruined her childhood. Even so, I can't help feeling sorry for her; no matter which ending you go with, eventually she's going to have to learn the truth that she unknowingly killed her brother. It's a breath of fresh air, though - there's no real culprit here (except for Dayna trying to incriminate Brushel); just a series of coincidences and one deadly mistake. It's more of a tragedy than a crime, and I like that.
- If I could change one thing, though, I would have made it take more effort to prove Johnson's confession was wrong. As others have said, it would have been nice if he'd gotten a little more screen time, or perhaps a cross-examination. I understand that Violeta had already implied that she fired the weapon, but Johnson still could have hidden the truth a little better. That's my only nitpick though; I didn't find anything in this case that I disliked, I just felt this was a missed opportunity.
- The main question I have is, why did Violeta have to stay with Dayna in the third ending, even though it was proven that her father didn't kill Travis? Am I missing something?
- By the way, I might have spotted an error. The first(?) time Violeta referred to Dayna as "Aunt Dayna" (after Dayna asks her to leave the courtroom), I could have sworn she was using Dayna's sprite. I'm not positive that I really saw it because I was outside playing this on my phone at the time, and I was getting a lot of glare from the sun on my screen. It's possible my eyes were playing tricks on me, but I just thought I should mention this.
In conclusion, this case was fantastic, and it's earned that star. I'll be keeping an eye on your other projects. :D
Tiagofvarela

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Replies are quite bold.
Sausagefanclub wrote:Hello! I've been lurking on this site for quite some time now, and I decided to make my first forum post to tell you how much I enjoyed this case. I saw your awards ceremony for your "No Pressure" competition a while back, and there was something I really liked about it. Anyway, that's what later got me interested in checking out your case. Here are my thoughts:
- So first off, I found Stuffy to be a really likable character. He's adorable and silly, but I think my favorite thing about him was that he wasn't fixated exclusively on winning the case and giving Brushel the guilty verdict; he seemed to be just as interested in finding out the truth as the defense was (well, until he realized who the real shooter was), like when he scolded his witness for lying. It's a nice break from all the witty banter prosecutors tend to bring with them. I do have one question, though: Is that really a costume, or does he actually look like that? Or is it meant to be left to the player's interpretation? Either way, I'd love to see him make a return in a future case.
That did not care about attaining a guilty verdict over the truth has been a part of his character since the start. It is one of the main points I had in mind when I first decided to make this case.
Though I always intended for it to be a costume, I did make a bunch of jokes at its expense.
Him returning for a case may be hard (this case exhausted jokes like there'd be no tomorrow. I'm surprised I can still write cases with other characters), but he may host an Awards Ceremony if I ever do win another.

- The case itself never felt unfair or boring. I admit I did brute-force it a few times, but when I found the answer, it never made me think "How was I supposed to figure that out?!". Phoenix's hints were helpful, too. I was able to get all 3 endings without the walkthrough, although I should go back and check out those "Extra" bits sometime. I found a few contradictions by remembering something from earlier in the case, though from what I've heard, apparently there still would have been a way for me to figure it out if I'd forgotten that stuff, so that's pretty neat! I actually figured out the locked room puzzle very early on in the trial (I was practically screaming it by the time I got Apollo to discover Travis's condition :P), but that didn't stop it from being fun.
One of the main points when I write a contradiction or prompt is that it should be solved even if you reset your brain every line. Either there's a big hint in the failure conversation, or a direct (or deductible) contradiction exists between the prompt and the evidence.
My biggest worry was indeed that the player would be able to start the game, read the evidence, and figure out the trick right away. If you've played a lot of mystery games it's almost guaranteed you will. I'm just hoping there's enough filler that you don't focus on the congenital analgesia. That's why the report ended up having so many pages. To try and hide it.

- The whole situation with Violeta really made me feel something. She was so naïve and innocent, and her father was even willing to frame himself to cover for his daughter's mistake, which I found to be quite touching. Then came the uncomfortable subject of teaching a child what death means, which Stuffy handled pretty well, considering that telling her the full truth could have ruined her childhood. Even so, I can't help feeling sorry for her; no matter which ending you go with, eventually she's going to have to learn the truth that she unknowingly killed her brother. It's a breath of fresh air, though - there's no real culprit here (except for Dayna trying to incriminate Brushel); just a series of coincidences and one deadly mistake. It's more of a tragedy than a crime, and I like that.
- If I could change one thing, though, I would have made it take more effort to prove Johnson's confession was wrong. As others have said, it would have been nice if he'd gotten a little more screen time, or perhaps a cross-examination. I understand that Violeta had already implied that she fired the weapon, but Johnson still could have hidden the truth a little better. That's my only nitpick though; I didn't find anything in this case that I disliked, I just felt this was a missed opportunity.
Johnson was doomed from the start, as he was always slated to be a last ditch effort to protect his daughter. Giving him more time would mean removing Violeta's CE, as both Johnson and Violeta are, at that point, wasted time. We know the truth almost as soon as everyone starts jumping in. It's nice to have a slow burn of letting the truth sink in, but not quite two testimonies worth.
- The main question I have is, why did Violeta have to stay with Dayna in the third ending, even though it was proven that her father didn't kill Travis? Am I missing something?
That's a good question. While I know I waned her to live with Dayna it seems I never was too explicit about this. Just consider Dayna and Johnson were watching each other's backs (which they kind of already were) and that they're trying to raise her even though both were tried for perjury.
- By the way, I might have spotted an error. The first(?) time Violeta referred to Dayna as "Aunt Dayna" (after Dayna asks her to leave the courtroom), I could have sworn she was using Dayna's sprite. I'm not positive that I really saw it because I was outside playing this on my phone at the time, and I was getting a lot of glare from the sun on my screen. It's possible my eyes were playing tricks on me, but I just thought I should mention this.
She's replying off-screen.
In conclusion, this case was fantastic, and it's earned that star. I'll be keeping an eye on your other projects. :D
Thank you very much!
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Sausagefanclub

Post by Sausagefanclub »

My replies to the replies are very shy and timid.
...By which I mean they are not bold.
Tiagofvarela wrote:Replies are quite bold.
Sausagefanclub wrote:
Him returning for a case may be hard (this case exhausted jokes like there'd be no tomorrow. I'm surprised I can still write cases with other characters), but he may host an Awards Ceremony if I ever do win another.
Yeah, I recall you saying he's a difficult character to write. I suppose he could get stale if used too much. Wouldn't want him to end up like Spongebob did.

My biggest worry was indeed that the player would be able to start the game, read the evidence, and figure out the trick right away. If you've played a lot of mystery games it's almost guaranteed you will. I'm just hoping there's enough filler that you don't focus on the congenital analgesia. That's why the report ended up having so many pages. To try and hide it.
Yeah, I realized that the other pages were meant to throw me off when they turned out to be unimportant to the case, but it was a nice trick. I don't think many people would have solved the puzzle as quickly as I did, but like I said before, I still enjoyed solving the case even if I knew more than I was supposed to.

Johnson was doomed from the start, as he was always slated to be a last ditch effort to protect his daughter. Giving him more time would mean removing Violeta's CE, as both Johnson and Violeta are, at that point, wasted time. We know the truth almost as soon as everyone starts jumping in. It's nice to have a slow burn of letting the truth sink in, but not quite two testimonies worth.
That's a good point. Johnson still served his purpose, and the flimsiness of his argument does show how desperate he is to protect his daughter.

She's replying off-screen.
Ah, okay. Since the sun made it difficult for me to see, I must not have noticed that Dayna's lips weren't moving. I scrolled past that frame a little too fast to get a good look at it.
Playing AAO on a phone sucks, because for some reason the music gets murdered as soon as a sound effect plays... -_-
Thank you very much!