[T] Turned Into a Turnabout ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

[T] Turned Into a Turnabout ●

Post by Evo »

TURNED INTO A TURNABOUT

It's the year 2127. More than a decade ago, the police computer was invented: a computer that solves every case within a fraction of a second. Ever since then, trials are only held to follow the law, but the verdict is certain from the start: guilty.
But what if, all of a sudden, the computer doesn't work anymore?

Foreword

Since the idea of mini-competitions came up, I translated this old shame epic trial with perfectly fair difficulty I made in two weeks for the German "Speed Trial" competition. The theme was "locked room mystery", for the record.
In the process, I converted it to V6 and made some minor changes to the dialogue and presentation, but kept the gameplay so you can enjoy it in all its old press in orders challenging puzzles glory.
The setting with the police computer and the characters Joe, Suzan, Karl and Armin originate from an unfinished entry EdgeOverRuled and I made for the Turnabout of the Century competition. This trial keeps the AAI style from the original entry, so there's a lot of GK2 sprites and music. They shouldn't spoil too much, however.
Back when this was made, DD and SoJ didn't exist yet, so this doesn't follow the canon from those games.
This trial is below 3000 frames and based on a joke. You have been warned.

Characters
Spoiler : :
Joe Kendall
The protagonist of this case. He was a defense attorney for a few years until the police computer was invented. One shouldn't easily take his statements at face value.

Suzan Kendall
Joe's sister and his assistant for this case. Normally, she's serious and pessimistic, but she can burst into laughter surprisingly fast.

Victor Chandler
Joe's former mentor. Nowadays, he's in charge of the MASON system. Thanks to his experience as a lawyer, he's the go-to person if problems arise during the trial.

Floretta Ballare
A dancer and the prosecutor of this case. It's her first trial with a defense attorney and she's trying hard to make his presence not matter too much.

Screenshots
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Link

Turned into a Turnabout
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: [T] Turned Into a Turnabout ●

Post by kwando1313 »

VuW VuW VuW

Hopefully I'll be able to give it a play... Soon.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Blizdi
Spoken languages: English

Post by Blizdi »

Wow, Evo.

With this, and the upcoming CoS and Dilemma, I'm extremely hype, great work, as always!

edit: I cannot for the life of me figure out the before/after choice, any hints, I'm honestly stumped the point of frustration?
ParrotMan01
Spoken languages: English

Post by ParrotMan01 »

EDIT:
Currently stuck on trying to narrow the time of death.
NOPE not anymore. Stuck on the is it possible before or after police arrival. NOPE. Now I'm on the second part. BAM! Not anymore either.
And....done. I liked it. Short and sweet.
Again, just passing through...
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

Evo, can you replace those dropbox images?
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Though the images in the post are lost to the void, the trial still functions as intended. Along with a minor bug or two that likely have nothing to do with broken resources.
Spoiler : SoC :
The setting is really fun.
I don't get why I find his jokes so funny. "Just you wait I'm going to plead guilty in a minute". I think it works well because he hasn't been shown to be incompetent.
I can select that the defence will be the one delivering the verdict and not have everyone after my guts.
This really reminds me that I've never written a trial where both sides of the witness stand were competent. I always have either a bumbling defence attorney or a crazy prosecutor.
Yep. Unfortunate you picked a horror movie.
I'm really interested in how these cross-examinations function. We're basically finding the correct order to extract clues that we can then use to get more clues until we finally break out of the contradiction.
In Ulard's second testimony, there's a point where Joe says he's got the piece of evidence that proves the victim was cleaning the kitchen in the court record. In the penalty conversation for this, the judge says "prosecution's conjecture". He means defence here.
Got stuck trying to narrow down the time of death. Though it isn't exactly hard, logically, the way it's presented as two pieces of evidence really hurts morale. it feels like there are dozens of possible combinations, where as having the character give some feedback or reject obviously ridiculous first options would allow a player to remain encouraged and think it through.
Ooof. The detective one was even worse. Just so you know, I kind of cheated for both of these.
"But the first question is in which corner of the room she's hiding in now..." Heh.
Most of the 'objection' and other such tracks that play when you find a contradiction tend to go on for too short a timeframe.
"Mr. Kendall, you may cross-examine the witness." -Joe Kendall
You can go through the conversation where Karl corrects his "three days prior" claim twice if you press the statement that lead you to that conversation.
When you present the knife to show that the butler couldn't do it the penalty bar flashing never goes away.
Welp. Time to host a party, mate.
Spoiler : Thoughts :
I'm not sure I have much more to add.
I really like the setting. Joe is fantastic, and Ulard was very well done. The detective was pretty nice. Things such as his comments while covering his mouth were funny. I wanted to see if Money's dialogue would've contributed something in particular, but it seems not.
As for the defendant and prosecutor, they were relatively one-note. Though the prosecutor was surprisingly competent. She was always ready and waiting for the next move up until the detective got accused. Also, her animation. It takes some three seconds or more to play. Have mercy. The assistant was nice in her position as sister and in some of their sibling banter, so to speak. So even the most lacklustre characters are better than some of the ones I've written. Oh, well.
I really like the way we moved forward by messing with pressing the statements and such, but there needed to be something in place to avoid seeing the same 'moved the case along slightly' dialogue. By pressing the same statement twice I sometimes proved the same thing twice by accident. Which isn't a problem with presentable evidence, because you know you've already presented that evidence there and won't need to again, but pressing is more general. I might just want to review a fact or might think there's a different way to advance from there.
Regardless, I thought it was well done though not always intuitive. The last testimony required appending a given statement to testimony and having it appended while pressing a give statement in order to move forward slightly. This wasn't intuitive for me. At most, have it so that pressing that statement permanently let's us move the case slightly by pressing the other statement that requires it appended. Or something. If you know what I'm talking about here at all which you might not.
There were also instances which required a combination of choices/evidence to move forward and I will always frown at such instances.
Case-wise. Nice. It was a relatively simple mystery that simply required some work to make progress on. I enjoyed it.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout