[T][CE][SoJ]Turnabout Imperfect ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

DWard14
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T][CE]Turnabout Imperfect ●

Post by DWard14 »

Gamer2002 wrote:Spoiler plz.
Sorry. Forgot.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Thanks for clearing that up. Now...
Spoiler : :
I thought several of the characters were out-of-character, but I'll focus on the whip.
Cross-Examination and Contradiction Design wrote:[T]he player may be privy to all the needed information, but see no reason to apply it. Perhaps the detail seems too irrelevant or pedantic, such as the distinction between a "spear" and a "polearm". Or perhaps a trivial concern is buried in a massive testimony upon a different subject. Either way, while misdirection is a valuable tool, it is dangerous to misdirect the player away from a point that is already subtle.
Gamer2002 wrote:What the player has to do is to remember that Neela's blood is on the whip (and she is the only person that Franziska whipped so far), catch on the significance of Manfred telling Dahlia that you can bribe people running civilian registry, and listen to the narrative's screams about Danielle being an evil liar (her taking place of Dahlia after the flashback, Franziska seeing in her Ini and Acro, not to mention Danielle's insulting lack of subtlety in Part 2...).
I claim that it is not reasonable to expect the player to connect the relevant information or even see it as relevant.

Based on, "But it was my intention to have this be not very obvious, not without Phoenix's hint you get from getting Athena declared guilty," I assume the stronger statement that it was your intention to have Phoenix's hint be how the player starts finding the solution and that you believe it is unreasonable to expect the player to make the connection or see the relevance otherwise.

So, how does Phoenix's hint of "It runs in the blood." help? A player can reasonably infer that Danielle is suspicious. If the player hasn't, I imagine they would get it quickly, since that is the easiest way to explain her testimony, and the Ini/Acro would be easy for a player to take note of on a second playthrough. Once the player makes that connection, then the immediate interpretation is to look into Danielle's parents.

This should recall for the player (and if they don't already remember it, the line in the testimony should make it obvious) that Edgeworth has already done an extensive background check on the witness and found nothing out of the ordinary there. Besides, the only information we have on her family is her photograph, which we may not have even seen yet.

At this point, I see no "obvious" next thing for the player to conclude, so I turn to a more systematic analysis. There are three things the player can do to make progress:
  1. Search for facts. For this game, that means replaying and rereading the dialogue. This is simple comprehension.
  2. Process facts into clues. Deciding what dialogue could be useful for making progress and what likely is not useful.
  3. Combine clues to make conclusions.
In this case, the player needs to come to the conclusions that Danielle may be related to somebody in the case by blood but hid that by falsified records, and we can test this hypothesis by testing the blood on Franziska's whip from when she whipped Danielle earlier. The player also must conclude this before their patience runs out.

This is very difficult for the player to do:
  • Without any indication that the clues are likely to be in a specific part of the game, the player has to replay the whole game to look for clues. This both makes it harder to search for facts (because there is so much dialogue to search through) and reduces player patience (the player knows sorting through the dialogue will take a lot of time, and some players will find this tedious).
  • Both of the above problems are worsened by the nonlinearity of the game and the delayed response time decisions have. When entering court, Franziska emphasizes that the choices she makes will change how the case proceeds, but will not do so rightaway. This introduces combinatorial complexity, where players feel the need to try many possibilities because the clue might be there. (Remember, there was never any indicator of where to look for clues!) Franziska gave four different theories the defense could advance. "Maybe," the player can think, "if I get the "right" combination of responses in part one, I can change change the defense's theory in some important way, and that changes their press conversations in a way that gets you what I need to proceed." Hence they try many different possible responses.
  • The game is not very clear about what the players should look for. All they have is a cryptic hint, and unless they pick up on the conversation with Dahlia, the game never gives them feedback that they're on the right track. Even a player who correctly suspects that they need to show Danielle's true parents are connected to Phoenix may be dissuaded from that theory. If it never occurs to them that there may be a way around Edgeworth's background check and they believe the photograph Danielle gave them, they may think that was a false lead and look for something else. So players may not know how to evaluate how relevant a fact is, which further reduces patience. This is precisely what happened to me. I had completely forgotten that the details of how Edgeworth conducted the background check were mentioned, and after seeing the photograph, I was inclined not to spend any more time on that theory anyways.
  • As the trial goes on, player focus starts slipping, and they can "fall into a rut." While a much slower process, it's very hard to stop once it sets in. It results in less player patience, less attentive reading, more uncertain deciding what the facts are, and more uncertain making conclusions from them.
The path I took was to replay the second part of the trial a few times, get the additional pieces of evidences, not find a clear use for what to do with them, lose confidence in my thought that Danielle's parents were the key focus, have my hypotheses that "maybe I need to let the Perceive or the Mood Matrix work" shot down, conclude that I would likely need to replay the first part of the case several times, and then decide that it was not worth my time and quit the game.

Without having played the rest of the case, I recommend the following:
  • Have Phoenix give more hints. First, he should be absolutely clear about whether the player has "enough" information. If they don't, he should specify what they need to change. If they do, he should specify that the moment to change the trial is in Danielle's final CE. This greatly reduces the space where the player has to go searching for clues.
  • Give the player another clue to make them dig into how Edgeworth conducted his background check. I imagine that on Danielle's statement about the background check, Apollo would object that maybe there was a way around it, and Franziska can object that they explored that issue in Ema's testimony, and if he has an objection, he had better have evidence. Apollo, of course, will fold, but this still hints to the player that Ema's testimony is available for searching.
  • I'd also recommend additional hints on "close but not quite" answers, such as presenting the Family Photo when Danielle says there is no relation. Yes, it may be horribly speculative from the player, but this would be a good time to tell the player they have the right general idea.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Chrissyjh02

Post by Chrissyjh02 »

Hey, uh.. I think some of the music is down. I've reloaded serveral times, and a quarter of the music is missing.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

I'm back. Took a while, but I had things to do in RL. And then I learned about Dual Destinies being released on Android, so I had to complete it. And then Spirit of Justice was released on Android, so I had to complete it. But now I can return to AAO. I think, I doesn't seem like they are releasing Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney on Android.

Replies in italic
Enthalpy wrote:Thanks for clearing that up. Now...
I thought several of the characters were out-of-character, but I'll focus on the whip.

If they aren't Franziska or anybody in flashbacks, you are free to think that :^)
Cross-Examination and Contradiction Design wrote:[T]he player may be privy to all the needed information, but see no reason to apply it. Perhaps the detail seems too irrelevant or pedantic, such as the distinction between a "spear" and a "polearm". Or perhaps a trivial concern is buried in a massive testimony upon a different subject. Either way, while misdirection is a valuable tool, it is dangerous to misdirect the player away from a point that is already subtle.
Gamer2002 wrote:What the player has to do is to remember that Neela's blood is on the whip (and she is the only person that Franziska whipped so far), catch on the significance of Manfred telling Dahlia that you can bribe people running civilian registry, and listen to the narrative's screams about Danielle being an evil liar (her taking place of Dahlia after the flashback, Franziska seeing in her Ini and Acro, not to mention Danielle's insulting lack of subtlety in Part 2...).
I claim that it is not reasonable to expect the player to connect the relevant information or even see it as relevant.

Based on, "But it was my intention to have this be not very obvious, not without Phoenix's hint you get from getting Athena declared guilty," I assume the stronger statement that it was your intention to have Phoenix's hint be how the player starts finding the solution and that you believe it is unreasonable to expect the player to make the connection or see the relevance otherwise.

My intention was that what is the problem and what you should prove isn't that hard to guess, and only what you have to do to is nearly impossible to guess without Phoenix's hint. I fully expected genre-savvy players to read her police interview and right away bet on her being Redd White's daughter, but I think even for them the whip wouldn't be obvious solution.

So, how does Phoenix's hint of "It runs in the blood." help? A player can reasonably infer that Danielle is suspicious. If the player hasn't, I imagine they would get it quickly, since that is the easiest way to explain her testimony, and the Ini/Acro would be easy for a player to take note of on a second playthrough. Once the player makes that connection, then the immediate interpretation is to look into Danielle's parents.

I'd like to note that I believe the player can pretty easily realize that they should consider Danielle suspicious during the first run, because:
- Franziska states the Danielle could be a liar, right before the trial
- Edgeworth suspects her, even if he downplays it due to the possibility of being biased
- Ema is reserved about trusting her
- if you consider that Athena is innocent, Danielle has to either be a liar, or somehow mistaken
- if you believe what Apollo said when he perceived her, she does lie about having no reason to observe Phoenix's office
- Danielle rehashes April May's role in a crime that is a rehash of 1-2, and April was an accomplice of the true culprit
- the article that caused Edgeworth's removal suddenly popped up solely to shield her from suspicions of the Chief Prosecutor
- in part 2, she isn't even subtle about being suspicious
- in part 2, I MYSELF am not even subtle about her being suspicious
- thinking that witnesses can be 100% trustworthy in AA is genre blindness ;P

And yes, her hiding something about her own identity is the first thing that comes to the mind, when you suspect her.

This should recall for the player (and if they don't already remember it, the line in the testimony should make it obvious) that Edgeworth has already done an extensive background check on the witness and found nothing out of the ordinary there. Besides, the only information we have on her family is her photograph, which we may not have even seen yet.

Ema's report also states that Daielle's identity was checked, though only in Ema's testimony you learn how this process went down.

As for the photo, it was Danielle having a picture of some random rich-looking people, as her cheap play on emotions to drove others from the subject of her parents. If you get the photo and present the whip, Franziska will point out why that photograph was fishy - it doesn't make much of sense that Danielle had one and only photo of her own parents. And it didn't even have her on it, to believe that she gave you a photograph of her own parents is to take up her word, nothing else (although Ema says that Danielle's story fits civilian record, but about that, later). The player shouldn't blindly trust any information from a person that everybody (louder or quieter) calls a liar, especially if they themselves suspect her.

At this point, I see no "obvious" next thing for the player to conclude, so I turn to a more systematic analysis.

I suppose "this point" is the moment when you receive the hint from Phoenix. Let's get back to the moment the player, on the first run, reaches in her 2nd CE the statement about her identity being checked by Edgeworth. I believe that, at that point, the player can realize:

- Danielle can likely be a liar, due to the reasons listed above, and can be hiding something about herself that ties her to Phoenix.
- Bluecorp's link to the current crime isn't out of option, due to current case's similarities with 1-2.
- Danielle was repeatedly stated to be rich, and even if we put aside the flashback with Manfred and Dahlia, that alone indicates the possibility of influence and bribery that could alter civilian record, which makes official background checking not very reliable

Now happens the defense's "no-press" of her statement. My intention was that the player would read it as Danielle saying "haha, the correct answer is HERE, you KNOW IT, but you have NOTHING that can prove it!", without flat-out saying it. This, plus the above, is why I expect from the player to realize that Danielle is clearly hiding the truth about herself, and the key is her true identity. The player can also likely start suspecting that she is connected to Redd White himself, maybe even as a daughter.

But, as I've said it earlier, it's nearly impossible for the player to realize how anything can be proven. So the guilty ending happens, and we have the final scene with Danielle and Edgeworth.
Now something happens that I suppose I didn't execute as well as I should have. Danielle uses a word from Redd White's vocabulary, highlighted in orange. This was supposed to be the final confirmation of her being connected to White, though I guess I expect from the player to remember too much from 1-2. I think I should have in the flashback with Gant have him mock how White talks, and those words be also highlighted.

But even without that, this scene is a final confirmation that Athena is innocent, Danielle is evil and everybody got played by her. The player can also (after this ending, or before it) get the ending where the trial is postponed for the next day, but Danielle states that nothing anymore can alter the outcome. I don't explain how this can work (as it would provide answers to the player), but I intended this scene to validate Apollo's claims and Edgeworth's suspicions that something with influence, like Bluecorp, was involved in the crime.

And in both endings Danielle calls Franziska Edgeworth's sister, so it should be clear that she is knowledgeable about them.

Assuming the player got Phoenix's hint and also saw the postponed ending, this is what the player should realize:
- Danielle is a liar and knows even about things like Edgeworth-Franziska's relationship
- Danielle very likely lied about not having any reason to observe Phoenix's office
- Danielle hides the truth about her background, but the defense can't prove anything about it
- some sort of conspiracy is likely, possibly Bluecorp
- "It runs in the blood"

Even if the hint with Redd White's vocabulary wasn't clear enough, I believe the player has enough to notice the like-hood of Danielle-Bluecorp connection. Phoenix's hint also indicates that her parents are important, and Danielle claims that her parents are dead rich people from her photo. Even if the player didn't get it earlier, they should remember they could ask about her parents during the recess and get back there. Besides, the player is very likely to use the possibility of returning to the recess and using saving to check all the answers to the last question to Danielle.

So, I can expect from the player to learn about Danielle's "parents". After guilty and postponed endings, I can expect from the player to be aware that Danielle is a lying liar with influence. Here, I expect from players to realize that Danielle shouldn't be trusted about anything she says, and her sob story about one and only photo doesn't add up. I don't think it would be, at that point, hard to guess that she would lie about her family. So, Danielle is:

- a confirmed liar
- likely lied about her family
- rich and with influence
- likely linked to Bluecorp
- hides the truth about her background that would break her testimony about not having any reason to lie about Phoenix's death

If the player didn't suspect her before to be related to White, this + "it runs in the blood" should make it evident. What's left for the player is to realize that they do have Danielle's blood on Franziska's whip, Edgeworth didn't think about trying DNA tests, so they can present the whip to point that there was another way to check Danielle's identity.

There are three things the player can do to make progress:
  1. Search for facts. For this game, that means replaying and rereading the dialogue. This is simple comprehension.
  2. Process facts into clues. Deciding what dialogue could be useful for making progress and what likely is not useful.
  3. Combine clues to make conclusions.
In this case, the player needs to come to the conclusions that Danielle may be related to somebody in the case by blood but hid that by falsified records, and we can test this hypothesis by testing the blood on Franziska's whip from when she whipped Danielle earlier. The player also must conclude this before their patience runs out.

This is very difficult for the player to do:
  • Without any indication that the clues are likely to be in a specific part of the game, the player has to replay the whole game to look for clues. This both makes it harder to search for facts (because there is so much dialogue to search through) and reduces player patience (the player knows sorting through the dialogue will take a lot of time, and some players will find this tedious).
  • Both of the above problems are worsened by the nonlinearity of the game and the delayed response time decisions have. When entering court, Franziska emphasizes that the choices she makes will change how the case proceeds, but will not do so rightaway. This introduces combinatorial complexity, where players feel the need to try many possibilities because the clue might be there. (Remember, there was never any indicator of where to look for clues!) Franziska gave four different theories the defense could advance. "Maybe," the player can think, "if I get the "right" combination of responses in part one, I can change change the defense's theory in some important way, and that changes their press conversations in a way that gets you what I need to proceed." Hence they try many different possible responses.
  • The game is not very clear about what the players should look for. All they have is a cryptic hint, and unless they pick up on the conversation with Dahlia, the game never gives them feedback that they're on the right track. Even a player who correctly suspects that they need to show Danielle's true parents are connected to Phoenix may be dissuaded from that theory. If it never occurs to them that there may be a way around Edgeworth's background check and they believe the photograph Danielle gave them, they may think that was a false lead and look for something else. So players may not know how to evaluate how relevant a fact is, which further reduces patience. This is precisely what happened to me. I had completely forgotten that the details of how Edgeworth conducted the background check were mentioned, and after seeing the photograph, I was inclined not to spend any more time on that theory anyways.
  • As the trial goes on, player focus starts slipping, and they can "fall into a rut." While a much slower process, it's very hard to stop once it sets in. It results in less player patience, less attentive reading, more uncertain deciding what the facts are, and more uncertain making conclusions from them.

The path I took was to replay the second part of the trial a few times, get the additional pieces of evidences, not find a clear use for what to do with them, lose confidence in my thought that Danielle's parents were the key focus, have my hypotheses that "maybe I need to let the Perceive or the Mood Matrix work" shot down, conclude that I would likely need to replay the first part of the case several times, and then decide that it was not worth my time and quit the game.

Eh. Pretty much the first play-tester, aside from myself, was the competition's judge, and he received a guide to every puzzle. Which is why the only guide I gave at first only revealed how to get guilty ending, so people would gave me feedback on near-blind play-through. But then DWaM finished this without bigger problems and I assumed it wasn't that hard after all.

Without having played the rest of the case, I recommend the following:
  • Have Phoenix give more hints. First, he should be absolutely clear about whether the player has "enough" information. If they don't, he should specify what they need to change. If they do, he should specify that the moment to change the trial is in Danielle's final CE. This greatly reduces the space where the player has to go searching for clues.
    I intend to have Phoenix be clear about the player having every evidence they need for her last testimony.
  • Give the player another clue to make them dig into how Edgeworth conducted his background check. I imagine that on Danielle's statement about the background check, Apollo would object that maybe there was a way around it, and Franziska can object that they explored that issue in Ema's testimony, and if he has an objection, he had better have evidence. Apollo, of course, will fold, but this still hints to the player that Ema's testimony is available for searching.
    I'll think if Danielle can add something useful, when she can't stop herself from mocking the defense.
  • I'd also recommend additional hints on "close but not quite" answers, such as presenting the Family Photo when Danielle says there is no relation. Yes, it may be horribly speculative from the player, but this would be a good time to tell the player they have the right general idea.
    I'll think about some photo-specified penalty conversation.
Chrissyjh02 wrote:Hey, uh.. I think some of the music is down. I've reloaded serveral times, and a quarter of the music is missing.
Sorry for it taking so long. I'm using free music host. Sometimes some music won't load and on the next day it will. I checked the trial yesterday and everything loaded for me, though few days earlier two tracks didn't.
Gamer2002

Re: [T][CE][SoJ]Turnabout Imperfect ●

Post by Gamer2002 »

Legal double post, I think.

The case has been updated, here is changeslog (obv spoilers, so don't read if you didn't finish the game).
* Gant, in his flashback, has one more line where he mentions that White uses words like qiantesque or splendiferous, those words are in orange.
* After presenting Pearl’s profile for the first time and Athena saying that Pearl was unavailable, Franziska stresses the fact that ever since the crime Apollo and Athena never talked with Pearl.
* The inner confrontation section had some rewrites to put emphasis on the importance of Feys being in possible danger. Also, its final section has additional question (solution added to walkthrough).
* If you get the ending where Athena is declared guilty after Danielle’s second testimony, Phoenix will state that you did have all you needed.
* If during the final showdown you lose to Apollo, despite having the medicine with you, Phoenix will state that you did have all you needed.
* During Danielle 2nd testimony, when her 5th statement (checked identity) is “pressed”, she proposes to defense to accuse Edgeworth for covering her crimes or lying about her records.
* If during Danielle 2nd testimony you present Family Photo on 5th statement (checked identity), Franziska asks if Edgeworth researched Danielle parent’s and she says he did it through the public records.
* During Neela’s secret testimony, if Athena handles the defense and succeeds at making Neela lose her control, Franziska thinks “I must decide carefully, not about what contradict, but what...”, which hints a bit that the next present isn’t that much about contradicting Neela.
* For the final showdown, I’m replacing BGM with The Final Witness from PLvsAA. I didn’t know this track when I was originally making Imperfect, and I think it fits better. It is a good theme for a final battle against Apollo, makes it sound more desperate and isn’t out of place after previous orchestra tracks.
Also, I'm adding SoJ spoiler tag. I've realized that in epilogue there is a brief dialogue that, despite not saying anything directly, does contain major spoilers to SoJ. Plus, SoJ is also referenced here and there, even if with nothing specific.

EDIT:
I forgot about doing it before, so I'm adding one more change
Before logic chess starts, Franziska warns the player from saving during timed choices.
Vagrant
Spoken languages: English, Italian, some French.

Post by Vagrant »

Insane case.

Also, question:

what's the song in
the secret Neela CE?
coming soon

turnabout in the mist
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Looking back at my released cases I think that insane is my main characteristic.

As for the song
All The Things She Said composed by t.A.T.u. and remixed by Caress 30. I got it from RPG Maker game Alter Aila (original one, not the remake). Here you have a link to the song https://gamer2002pl.github.io/All_The_T ... e_Said.mp3
MrDracken

Post by MrDracken »

Hi, this is my first time playing this case and so far I like what I'm seeing, but...
During the imagination segment after presenting the evidence law book, is there any hint I can get towards what I need to present? I've presented everything I could find in Part 2 and still no progress.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

You mean in response to "Miles Edgeworth is a possible conspirator. Nothing rules this out."?

The hint is that there is no hint towards what to present.
MrDracken

Post by MrDracken »

Gamer2002 wrote:
You mean in response to "Miles Edgeworth is a possible conspirator. Nothing rules this out."?

The hint is that there is no hint towards what to present.
Thanks for that! It actually helped further my thinking (and the trial itself).
At first I thought "yeah, the guide has definitely got to be lying to me." Because of what I was told at the beginning of them. So I looked extensively to find if there was any proof, something I missed because I thought you have to trust Edgeworth right? After a ton of thought and looking over the clues I realized: "I'm trusting the guide." Which put me on the right track to eventually overcome the truth. Very clever!
After finishing I very much enjoyed your trial! You've got a real talent for writing interesting and thoughtful trials.
kschnei4

Post by kschnei4 »

Hello, rookie attor--uhh, newcomer here. I've deeply enjoyed this case so far, but I still have a clarifying question that I haven't really figured out the answer to.
I'm stuck on the secret CE. From the previous posts on this thread, I understand that you have to trust Athena and get your HP down to 1, which leads to the 8th statement being amended. What I'm not particularly clear on is if there are specific statements on the CE that you need to take the penalties on (it looks as if some statements deal stronger penalties than others? or is that just my imagination), or if there's just one specific statement that leads to the 8th one being amended, or if there's a specific piece of evidence acquired in your choice during the recess that you need up your sleeve to help you. Also if I was wrong to ask a question of this nature as my first post on here, then please let me know.
I also absolutely loved Turnabout Trickery, particularly its ending. Keep up the fantastic work!
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

When you are letting Athena press Neela, the actual penalties are decreasing with each allowed press, despite you always being warned that the penalty will take 1/3 of your HP. At this point, Neela is the one controlling the trial and deciding on the penalties, but Athena's questions are disturbing her self-control. In order to amend the 8th statement, you have to let Athena ask all the questions up to that statement.

You definitely have the evidence you need. Don't think about contradictions, think about the psychological effect.
Thanks for playing! I'm glad you like my stuff.
Starduster

Post by Starduster »

Hey, I've been having a lot of fun with this case so far. Had a quick question though, if you don't mind...
Not quite sure why, but I can't seem to get on to the Truth Route, even following the guides. I can get Maya and Pearl's updated profile, but even so Apollo accuses "Alon" of aiding and abetting and it proceeds into her second cross-examination as normal. Do you have any idea how I could be screwing up?
hatterene

Post by hatterene »

Starduster wrote:Hey, I've been having a lot of fun with this case so far. Had a quick question though, if you don't mind...
Not quite sure why, but I can't seem to get on to the Truth Route, even following the guides. I can get Maya and Pearl's updated profile, but even so Apollo accuses "Alon" of aiding and abetting and it proceeds into her second cross-examination as normal. Do you have any idea how I could be screwing up?
When Apollo
asks if Franziska has any other objections before the CE, present Pearl's profile.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Pearl's profile is updated after calling Apollo or Athena to the stand and asking them about them calling friends, in Part 1.

You can't call Apollo/Athena before calling Ema.

If you fulfill the condition for updating Pearl's profile before obtaining her profile, her profile will be automatically updated once you obtain it.

Pearls' updated profile is "Phoenix Wright's friend and a spirit medium that could channel his spirit, but is currently abroad. Maya Fey's cousin. Kept unaware of the crime."