[T] SYNOPSIS RELEASED! Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (game unfinished, full-length synopsis released)

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Re: [T] Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney ~ Locks on the Heart ○○○○

Post by risefromtheashes »

Hi again! Please read this reply in its entirety!

After ELEVEN MONTHS of writing and re-writing the script, discussing mental disorders and psychological dynamics, and writing music... I would like to announce that

Case 1 for AAO is now in production!

This is my first ever AAO case and I estimate it will be about 5,000 frames. (Enthalpy's gonna LOVE this.)
Right now, I'm working, pretty much entirely on my lonesome, on importing the entire script to the editor. (And making it look as close to perfect as I can, with fades and pauses and all. I'm too obsessive-compulsive of a person to not do that.)

We have all of our custom artistic assets made for the Case 1 demo! However, we will be switching out a few characters' sprites for the "full version" to be released on PyWright (estimated release date TBD), and will need to commission spriters for said characters. Hopefully - and I believe this will be the case - Case 1 will look promising enough that some of you artists out there will be willing to work with me and the team, commission or not! (Hey, Gamer2002, I took your advice, dude! Trust me, you weren't the only person who told me that, and I'd already figured that working on Case 1 as hard as possible to get it out ASAP was the best plan of action. I wasn't going to just depend on "help wanted" posters! :larry:)

Please look forward to the release of Case 1 here on AAO! As of now, it seems the demo release date will be somewhere between mid-June and mid-July, at the pace we're working! (I've already finished ~400 frames!)

And as of now, please refer to the OP for more details on Locks on the Heart as a whole, and for details on what kind of help we'll need, if you're willing to help. And if you choose to wait until Case 1 is released, that's quite understandable!

Thank you!
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
DetectiveWhite
Spoken languages: Español, Inglés, Portugués

Post by DetectiveWhite »

Is an interesting project, I'm sure will be amazing, unfortunately, I don't have artistic talents when comes sprites, I mean, I can draw well, but in the size of AA screen and like sprites... quite hard for me.

BUT, I think I can help in one thing, how you may now, the trilogy was released, so more much fans will appear and like big games are doing this now... I can help you to translate the game to Portuguese, it's my mother language after all.
risefromtheashes

Mini-update!
OP has been updated to the most current version of events.
Lots of progress is being made with planning and music; not so much with art, for rather obvious reasons. Case 2 got a re-write and is now 30x better!
This project is still being worked on, and we need all the help we can get! Please refer to the OP for details. (Read the whole thing! Also, follow @ArmenDev on Twitter for *QUALITY* retweeted AA content, and occasional updates that won’t be posted here.)

The demo version of Case 1 is projected to be released by July 1!
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Loulou01
Spoken languages: Français

Post by Loulou01 »

Oooh, it seems really cool! I love the character of Athena so i'm excited to see the result ^^
I maybe can help you for an animation of sprite or things like that, i know how to do that. It would be a pleasure to help :)
Last edited by Loulou01 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
risefromtheashes

Loulou01 wrote:Oooh, it seems really cool! I love the character of Athena so i'm excited to see the result ^^
I maybe can help you for animation of sprite or things like that, i know how to do that. It would be a pleasure to help :)
Ahh, sorry I didn't see this until now! I don't know if you already joined our server or not by your username, but it would be a pleasure to have you!

Additional Update:

The "Locks on the Heart" demo is on par to be released on July 1!

The demo will consist of the "trial former" segment of Case 1, and hopefully all of you will enjoy! :armstrong:
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:

----------
Loulou01
Spoken languages: Français

Post by Loulou01 »

the.armenator wrote:
Loulou01 wrote:Oooh, it seems really cool! I love the character of Athena so i'm excited to see the result ^^
I maybe can help you for animation of sprite or things like that, i know how to do that. It would be a pleasure to help :)
Ahh, sorry I didn't see this until now! I don't know if you already joined our server or not by your username, but it would be a pleasure to have you!
Oh, you talk about Discord? Sorry, i didn't have it x3
risefromtheashes

The LotH Case 1 demo is now available to play! Click here to play!
(NOTE: Every testimony, present prompt, and "select an option" prompt has a unique failure dialogue! Please feel free to save spam and choose a wrong option or piece of evidence for all of those! There is also a walkthrough in the OP, but please don't use it unless you need to!)

This is my first-ever work on AAO, so if there are any errors, let me know! I hope it surpasses your expectations, though!
PLEASE share the demo to as many people as you can! It took so much work and I’d like to spread this project as far as possible!
And also, please leave a stream of consciousness in a reply if you'd like! Feedback is welcome and appreciated!
Also, the demo section will be slightly changed for the PyWright release, so look out for that!

(Hah, a day early!)
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:

----------
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Post by Southern Corn »

Alright! Started playing the demo, one SoC coming up!
Spoiler : SC's SoC :
Frame 1- Might be better to have the "Idea!" sound effect play? It gives off a more excited vibe than without.

Intro seems fine. I feel like it was maybe lacking some fades but also I'm on Chrome like a nerd so I probably missed it. Also the crime scene looks very different quality wise from the other screenshot (which I presume is an edited version of that one image from Turnabout Serenade), but I get it since custom assets can be a pain to make. I like the music a lot so far though!

>NINA
Okay nobody else will get the reference but I'm suspicious of her now.

Wow news of that one 5-2 scene spread fast, I see.

"Quantity over quality" me when making a 5K frames long locked room mystery that's just 'they didn't lock the door tightly enough'

Also I just realised, no lobby music? It should probably start playing around the time Nina enters.

VideoVention, huh?

YOUVIDEO, HUH???

SirCaptain... I don't appreciate how this guy's stealing my initials. I guess he's dead though, so there can only be one!

Starting off with a double murder is an interesting change of pace, actually.

Wow these usernames are super original

Is this just the part where you gush about Game Theory randomly

Wow how did Nina just randomly have an all access pass? Isn't she just some nerd or am I misunderstanding how conventions work?

"Well,I bought one." ...Oh.

Also, the owned effect might be better replaced with anger or waah! Owned is good but it's reserved for extreme screen shaking outbursts generally.

Finally, some music!

Geez Nina don't pick murdery stab tools lying on the floor, this is how you avoid getting arrested 101. Then again even Edgeworth did it for some reason.

Oh huh, Athena getting to know some coroners here, I see.

Geez Nina stop acting like a shipper

Oooh that knife looks like it's going to lead to a cool contradiction English Turnabout style. I already see there's no thumbprint on it though. Wouldn't that be uncomfortable to hold?

Might be better to hold on the pictures for a second or two before the characters start speaking. I nearly missed Nina there thanks to the textbox, even it it gets added to the CR.

Also did I miss something about the explanation on why the security footage didn't see the murder itself happen?

That hit me joke is 10/10

Also they just let Nina pass by because she looked like she really wanted to meet the victims?

Nina looks calm? Right after she was trembling just describing the scene of the crime, thinking about seeing her two idols there dead?

Oh, I guess it makes sense she saw her classmate's trial. And 'was' makes sense considering how much she failed in Juniper's second trial.

"I know you don't need to rely on bluffs to find the truth" yes, only on other people

Wow Nina acting even more sus

"(And finally, after long last, time for some generic pre-trial monologue!)" Too meta, I feel?

Wait how does Athena know about 4-4? More importantly, the jury system still exists??

Wow, some surprisingly heavy trial music here.

Ayyyy Blackquill my maaaaan

Why did you give a judge a name gosh darn it?? Though I dunno if it's necessary since judges don't really do that in AA games. Well, there aren't many of them but whatever.

Yikes, more than a year since 6-4?

Geez, Athena and Phoenix both helped out Apollo there? Poor Trucy having to hold down the fort on her own for that long.

Wow took long enough to get your doctorate Athena

"You never fail to impress me, Ms. Cykes" Counterpoint: 5-1.

Wow judge casually talking about his grandson as usual. I'll miss him though :(

"Heh, that never gets old... Unlike his Baldness." Youch.

Nobody else commented on what Widget said? Ookay then.

Okay so we're dealing with spiderpeople deaths now

Thanks Simon, you're great.

Geez 0/10 security here.

Minor comment but those Blackquill sprites look a bit off. Personally I'd have gone with his DD models instead. The fingerpoint especially looks very awkward.

Frame 398- I think the sound effect could be made less intense again?

Oh, so the footage was just a single photograph? So did it just conveniently take a photo at that exact time for whatever reason?

Judge is too competent. I doubt he wouldn't be scared of Blackquill still. Also what if the replacement prosecutor was like Franziska and they just abused everyone even more?

THANK YOU ATHENA

So there's a jury after all? Also that guard is looking slightly sus as well.

Wow no swearing in my AAO >:(

Last message there looking differently coloured for some reason :thinking: Also that totally looks like the victim wrote it, makes sense.

Well that got dark quick.

I feel like Simon wouldn't directly say the b word, even paraphrasing it. Changing it to "called her a liar and a psychopath" might work better.

Judge telling Nina to control her outbursts while the crowd demands she gets the death penalty and Athena has a breakdown in court AGAIN

Wow so much swearing, this is hurting my fee fees. Also lol at Simon just casually trying to change topics after the screen dramatically fades to black.

Uh, defense's statement in AA is interesting but yeah I dunno if it's necessary in this case.

Okay both choices there seem fine. Still mad that Athena said the b word >:(( I'm surprised the jury system is randomly back and we only heard of it through optional dialogue though.

Oh thank god I thought the detective not showing up was a glitch for a second

Wow Case is a prodigy I see. She looks older than that but whatever. Nice lampshading though.

The testimony popup during the initial testimony might look nice.

Yeah short testimony overall. Stuff about the blood overlap makes sense though.

Wow that penalty dialogue from the judge hurt to read.

Press dialogue is surprisingly short here.

Athena saving those insults for later I see. Anyway that contradiction seems fine, though I'm surprised it's unrelated to the blood thing. Anyway whatever cool.

Oh I guess that picture explains where the thumb would be kind of.

Blackquill conceding already? I feel like he wouldn't have let that slide so easily.

Okay that's much better.

"Members of the gallery... shut up." <3

lol I like how the judge isn't calling out Simon for threatening everyone this time.

Wow if Blackquill is right then Phan totally could have just not returned to the scene and she would've gotten away with it.

Nina interjecting I see. Sounds SUS

Geez what the heck judge. If the testimony serves no importance, then don't call him. That would be wasting the court's time you senile old fart

I can't believe Cody Hackins was the killer

Yeah shut up judge you idiot. I can't believe you pulled this garbage on us. Frick you.

lol he's smiling pretty quickly. Anyway yeah I think Nina did it still.

Oh no penalties here? Nice!

I'd maybe have liked Oberon's thing to be more fleshed out. I feel like he'd be more traumatised by the situation than he is currently. He lightened up pretty quickly, really.

He also seems maybe overenthusiastic about his artistic talent? I'd tone down the smiles a lot here.

>happy WOW what a psycho-

Uhh... even if he recognised Nina I don't think he'd feel subconsciously happy about the scene regardless.

Okay this MM is mostly straightforward but that scared thing was slightly tricky.

"I've pointed out all of the witness's discrepant emotions, but he is still experiencing discord." Geez if it's that bad move to IRC or something

Oh wow he even remembers the time it took to call the police? Huh. Also that time discrepancy is subtle wow. Even Blackquill missed that.

Why is the bailiff talking like that?

Accusing Blackquill of forgery, huh? ...Yeah, she did it.

Who is this Janet person? She was in the intro as well.

Wow there was even a 'next time on LotH' like a soap opera, 10/10

Anyway those were some nice credits I guess, good job. I don't have much to say about the case itself. It's like mostly alright but I really liked the two major contradictions behind the case and I found the ending intriguing enough. That's all sorry, I'm half asleep now. Good luck with the rest of the game though.
risefromtheashes

Response coming up! Answers are in orange. Pretty freaking major spoilers for the demo in here, so don't open the spoiler tags. Or else.
Southern Corn wrote:Alright! Started playing the demo, one SoC coming up!
Frame 1- Might be better to have the "Idea!" sound effect play? It gives off a more excited vibe than without.

Intro seems fine. I feel like it was maybe lacking some fades but also I'm on Chrome like a nerd so I probably missed it. Also the crime scene looks very different quality wise from the other screenshot (which I presume is an edited version of that one image from Turnabout Serenade), but I get it since custom assets can be a pain to make. I like the music a lot so far though!
Yeah, the SVGs provided by FerdieLance only work on Firefox. Also, no, that image isn't the edited 4-3 one, it's one I found online, lmao. (Free-use sites are my friend.) I'm glad you like the music!

>NINA
I absolutely do NOT.

Wow news of that one 5-2 scene spread fast, I see.
My favorite cutscene probably ever.

"Quantity over quality" me when making a 5K frames long locked room mystery that's just 'they didn't lock the door tightly enough'
That would be the biggest troll, and I love that.

Also I just realised, no lobby music? It should probably start playing around the time Nina enters.
Should've played right away, after the "July 14, 10:25/whatever" screen. Maybe it didn't load.

VideoVention, huh?
I'm not risking someone thinking this actually happened at VidCon. XD

YOUVIDEO, HUH???
That pesky Weeklymotion!

SirCaptain... I don't appreciate how this guy's stealing my initials. I guess he's dead though, so there can only be one!
YOU KILLED HIM! (Although, in all seriousness, I thought of his name far before I came back to the AACD server, so it wasn't stealing. Hah, take that!)

Starting off with a double murder is an interesting change of pace, actually.
The funny thing is that the fact that there were two victims (at least in the demo) changes absolutely NOTHING.

Serious or ironic comment?

Is this just the part where you gush about Game Theory randomly
That's just a theory!

Wow how did Nina just randomly have an all access pass? Isn't she just some nerd or am I misunderstanding how conventions work?
I made the security system for the convention ESPECIALLY stupid. We could just headcanon and say Larry organized it and no one would bat an eye.

"Well,I bought one." ...Oh.
Yeah. The VideoVention organizers were kind of dumb.

Also, the owned effect might be better replaced with anger or waah! Owned is good but it's reserved for extreme screen shaking outbursts generally.
This is about Athena's reaction to the ticket price? Fair point.

Finally, some music!
It was working before for me!!!

Geez Nina don't pick murdery stab tools lying on the floor, this is how you avoid getting arrested 101. Then again even Edgeworth did it for some reason.
Edgeworth just wanted to touch the "edge" of the knife. It was "worth" getting arrested for. He's secretly yandere.

Oh huh, Athena getting to know some coroners here, I see.
She's going to leave this trial in a body bag.

Acting like one?

Oooh that knife looks like it's going to lead to a cool contradiction English Turnabout style. I already see there's no thumbprint on it though. Wouldn't that be uncomfortable to hold?
Hmm... Considering that you already went through the contradiction with the knife, not really. The idea is that her thumb was underneath her other fingers, which were gripping the knife. Basically, a fist, but with her thumb in the middle of her hand.

Might be better to hold on the pictures for a second or two before the characters start speaking. I nearly missed Nina there thanks to the textbox, even it it gets added to the CR.
Referring to the footage?

Also did I miss something about the explanation on why the security footage didn't see the murder itself happen?
I had some "retconning" (idk the word in this case) to do. There is an explanation later in the case (not demo). I left a LOT of questions unanswered.

Hit me, daddy--

Also they just let Nina pass by because she looked like she really wanted to meet the victims?
She had an all-access pass, so...

Nina looks calm? Right after she was trembling just describing the scene of the crime, thinking about seeing her two idols there dead?
Calm in general. Plus, she wasn't "trembling", per se- she just trailed off. The fact that she wasn't having an anxiety attack while recalling seeing two dead bodies, only two days after she saw them, is impressive.

Oh, I guess it makes sense she saw her classmate's trial. And 'was' makes sense considering how much she failed in Juniper's second trial.
Well, she was flying solo for the first time. That's scary.

"I know you don't need to rely on bluffs to find the truth" yes, only on other people
Is that an attack against Athena or me?

Which line are you referring to?

"(And finally, after long last, time for some generic pre-trial monologue!)" Too meta, I feel?
I got rid of the other meta jokes, but kind of forgot about this one. Oops.

Wait how does Athena know about 4-4? More importantly, the jury system still exists??
It's supposed to be assumed that Apollo told her at some point. And yes- I wanted the jury to exist for this game. Mainly because juries, unlike judge trials, rely on common sense, emotions, and feelings to come to their verdicts, on top of the evidence and facts. That works a lot better for mental health topics, even if it's a minor difference.

Wow, some surprisingly heavy trial music here.
Thank our lord and savior, FanFreak247, for letting me use the PF:AA trial theme for the demo. We'll have an original one for the full release.

Have this gift.

Why did you give a judge a name gosh darn it?? Though I dunno if it's necessary since judges don't really do that in AA games. Well, there aren't many of them but whatever.
Only because of his grandson. We need a way to differentiate between him and his grandson later in the game. (Not a spoiler since he LITERALLY said his grandson would preside over some of Athena/Blackquill's later cases.)

Yikes, more than a year since 6-4?
6-5 happened in May 2028, and this case happens in July 2029.

Geez, Athena and Phoenix both helped out Apollo there? Poor Trucy having to hold down the fort on her own for that long.
Totally canon - she got help from Pearl and Maya and they made the WAA into a Steel Samurai recording studio.

She's 20 and it takes, like, 8 years to do that, but go off I guess, Mr. Psychology Specialist.

She impressed him with how quickly she shut down.

Wow judge casually talking about his grandson as usual. I'll miss him though :(
Maybe you won't.

"Heh, that never gets old... Unlike his Baldness." Youch.
These are the kinds of insults I make about my friends, and I loved including that one in this trial.

Nobody else commented on what Widget said? Ookay then.
Athena's shocked expression told everyone that she was already going through enough and needed a safe space, lmao.

Okay so we're dealing with spiderpeople deaths now
Tom Holland dies in LotH, this is canon.

Thanks Simon, you're great.
*shocked Taka expression*

Geez 0/10 security here.
I take back what I said. They're worse than Larry.

Minor comment but those Blackquill sprites look a bit off. Personally I'd have gone with his DD models instead. The fingerpoint especially looks very awkward.
I didn't want to use his 3D sprites when everyone else is 2D. That was the only 2D set I could find. I'll probably just end up spending like $150 on commissioning a full set of him in 2D.

Frame 398- I think the sound effect could be made less intense again?
Got it.

Oh, so the footage was just a single photograph? So did it just conveniently take a photo at that exact time for whatever reason?
I swear to Takumi, I thought I made Blackquill say that the security guard triggered that photo.

Judge is too competent. I doubt he wouldn't be scared of Blackquill still. Also what if the replacement prosecutor was like Franziska and they just abused everyone even more?
The Judge is supposed to be a bit more of a hardass for this case.

THANK YOU ATHENA
Huh? What's this about?

So there's a jury after all? Also that guard is looking slightly sus as well.
Hmmmmmm-

Wow no swearing in my AAO >:(
Bish, I-

Last message there looking differently coloured for some reason :thinking: Also that totally looks like the victim wrote it, makes sense.
That last comment ironic or not?

Well that got dark quick.
Yep.

I feel like Simon wouldn't directly say the b word, even paraphrasing it. Changing it to "called her a liar and a psychopath" might work better.
Then again, AA refuses to go above "hell" and "damn". I see Simon as using swear words when necessary, but aside from that, he goes for more classy insults.

Judge telling Nina to control her outbursts while the crowd demands she gets the death penalty and Athena has a breakdown in court AGAIN
This trial is going to be a wild ride.

Wow so much swearing, this is hurting my fee fees. Also lol at Simon just casually trying to change topics after the screen dramatically fades to black.
He's being a bit of an ass, honestly.

Uh, defense's statement in AA is interesting but yeah I dunno if it's necessary in this case.
I'm just making it a regular thing in the game, so...

Okay both choices there seem fine. Still mad that Athena said the b word >:(( I'm surprised the jury system is randomly back and we only heard of it through optional dialogue though.
You heard about it in the lobby, lmao.

Oh thank god I thought the detective not showing up was a glitch for a second
Nope.

Wow Case is a prodigy I see. She looks older than that but whatever. Nice lampshading though.
(AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-)

Jesus, did I not put that in? Fuuuuu-

Yeah short testimony overall. Stuff about the blood overlap makes sense though.
Glad it does. I was worried that it wouldn't be explained well.

Wow that penalty dialogue from the judge hurt to read.
That's probably my favorite penalty conversation I've made. I thought it was funny.

Hopefully it didn't ruin your immersion.

Athena saving those insults for later I see. Anyway that contradiction seems fine, though I'm surprised it's unrelated to the blood thing. Anyway whatever cool.
She gets catcalled more than you think. About the contradiction, hmm...

Oh I guess that picture explains where the thumb would be kind of.
See above just in case.

Blackquill conceding already? I feel like he wouldn't have let that slide so easily.
Hmm...

Okay that's much better.
Yep.

We stan.

lol I like how the judge isn't calling out Simon for threatening everyone this time.
It's rather deserved this time.

Wow if Blackquill is right then Phan totally could have just not returned to the scene and she would've gotten away with it.
Guards' testimony, anyone?

Geez what the heck judge. If the testimony serves no importance, then don't call him. That would be wasting the court's time you senile old fart
I should probably be more explicit about this in the full version - the idea is that Simon originally planned to call him because he had no one else besides the detective, but regretted it last-moment for reasons that become obvious very soon.

I can't believe Cody Hackins was the killer
OOF they just had to steal his Steel Samurai Premium Platinum card!

Yeah shut up judge you idiot. I can't believe you pulled this garbage on us. Frick you.
SC IS GUILTY!

lol he's smiling pretty quickly. Anyway yeah I think Nina did it still.
We shall see...

You don't get penalties in real life therapy, so why here? Especially when dealing with a traumatized 11-year old.

I'd maybe have liked Oberon's thing to be more fleshed out. I feel like he'd be more traumatised by the situation than he is currently. He lightened up pretty quickly, really.
Yeah, he did. I'll consider your feedback here.

He also seems maybe overenthusiastic about his artistic talent? I'd tone down the smiles a lot here.
I didn't see this as a big deal because he's a kid who likes talking about what he does. Also, consider that he'll have original sprites in the full version, so that smile probably won't be as big.

>happy WOW what a psycho-
*smiles in Yuri from Doki Doki Literature Club*

Uhh... even if he recognised Nina I don't think he'd feel subconsciously happy about the scene regardless.
I'll probably be more explicit about this in the full game as well- I wanted him to be recalling emotions he felt in the moment he's talking about.

Okay this MM is mostly straightforward but that scared thing was slightly tricky.
Tricky like difficult but not too much, or tricky like too hard?

"I've pointed out all of the witness's discrepant emotions, but he is still experiencing discord." Geez if it's that bad move to IRC or something
IRC?

Oh wow he even remembers the time it took to call the police? Huh. Also that time discrepancy is subtle wow. Even Blackquill missed that.
Trauma works interestingly. People remember really strangely small details like that pretty often.

Look up NicoB's Ace Attorney playthroughs.

Accusing Blackquill of forgery, huh? ...Yeah, she did it.
We'll see... ;)

Who is this Janet person? She was in the intro as well.
Just a random reoccurring "catfighting white girl".

Wow there was even a 'next time on LotH' like a soap opera, 10/10
DRAMA!

Anyway those were some nice credits I guess, good job. I don't have much to say about the case itself. It's like mostly alright but I really liked the two major contradictions behind the case and I found the ending intriguing enough. That's all sorry, I'm half asleep now. Good luck with the rest of the game though.
Thanks for all the feedback, either way! I'm glad you found the ending intriguing - I was really pumped writing that and wanted people to enjoy it as much as I did!
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:

----------
Southern Corn

Post by Southern Corn »

Responses in red.
the.armenator wrote:
>NINA
I absolutely do NOT.
I wasn't expecting you to XD It's a reference to something else I played where there was a character called Nina who turned out to be evil and killed her whole family for no reason. Just a lame reference to that.

...I should actually do that.

Should've played right away, after the "July 14, 10:25/whatever" screen. Maybe it didn't load.
It didn't load, yeah. I thought that odd but if it didn't, then it makes sense.

YOU KILLED HIM! (Although, in all seriousness, I thought of his name far before I came back to the AACD server, so it wasn't stealing. Hah, take that!)
If I destroyed everyone with my initials, then the Supreme Court would be in ruins.

Ironic. I just thought the references to other stuff here felt a bit too overindulgent? Might just be me though.

Finally, some music!
Thanks to your music not working I had to go listen to MBP in that time instead.

Edgeworth just wanted to touch the "edge" of the knife. It was "worth" getting arrested for. He's secretly yandere.
You really went the extra Mile for that one, huh?

Acting like one?
Just how she was like 'oh he's not just your friend is he? ;)'

Hmm... Considering that you already went through the contradiction with the knife, not really. The idea is that her thumb was underneath her other fingers, which were gripping the knife. Basically, a fist, but with her thumb in the middle of her hand.
Yeah, I get it now, thanks.

Yup.

Hit me, daddy--
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Right, fair enough.

Not really an attack but I was referring to Athena there yeah. Since she's never had a trial on her own without any help.

The part where she emptily stares at her, I believe?

Have this gift.
Great priorities.

Totally canon - she got help from Pearl and Maya and they made the WAA into a Steel Samurai recording studio.
I bet they roped Edgeworth into it somehow as well.

She's 20 and it takes, like, 8 years to do that, but go off I guess, Mr. Psychology Specialist.
Wait, so she started to get her doctorate since 12? Or is that counting high school? Oh also, did she just manage to have classes while being in trials and also helping out in Khura'in?

She also kept quiet after that, so you could say she shut up AND shut down.

I swear to Takumi, I thought I made Blackquill say that the security guard triggered that photo.

THANK YOU ATHENA
Huh? What's this about?

So... Blackquill did say the stuff about the security guard. That was why I was so excited when Athena finally inquired about it.

Ironic. I don't really think that would be like a natural response after everything, leading me to believe someone else used his phone to do that. Or the message is just fake altogether I guess.

I don't have much to add to this, I'm more surprised I used the term 'fee fees' and promptly forgot about it.

To be fair it only got elaborated on more in the trial itself.

The green tesimony thing flashing in the background, yeah.

It didn't, but I find it important to flesh out stuff like that. Gives others a good impression, and also gives a good introduction to the gameplay mechanics if this is their first AA game.

We stan.
More like scot.

Making some outburst or another. I don't quite recall.

I should probably be more explicit about this in the full version - the idea is that Simon originally planned to call him because he had no one else besides the detective, but regretted it last-moment for reasons that become obvious very soon.
That definitely makes more sense, yeah.

SC IS GUILTY!
Of being an all around great guy? :wellington:

You don't get penalties in real life therapy, so why here? Especially when dealing with a traumatized 11-year old.
Yeah, MMs in DD were penalty less, though they introduced penalties in SoJ I think, so it's nice to see them without penalties here because it makes me feel more relaxed.

I probably wouldn't have gotten it myself. It's like the thing in DD where they show a relevant emotion but not too much of it.

IRC?
IRC, Discord. Both chat services. Very funny, I know.

Oh dang, that's a lot of videos. You're telling me I gotta watch all that just to get the reference?

Thanks for all the feedback, either way! I'm glad you found the ending intriguing - I was really pumped writing that and wanted people to enjoy it as much as I did!
You're welcome, and have a more blissful day!
Tromend
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, Japanese

Post by Tromend »

I had to make an account just to comment on this. Pretty good demo, I would say the only thing that ticked me off a bit was:
Spoiler : Spoilers, beware :
That moment in the MM with Sadness emotion being too inconspicuous. I think you need to make 3 sizes for the fonts: One that is big, an avg size one and a small one otherwise is harder to see which emotions are at a normal/even level with the rest or when they're more/less pronounced
In terms of writing I'd say it was good for a WIP, but there is one thing I did not enjoy as much and that is the pop-culture references. When done in a reserved manner and every once in a while they catch the attention of those that know them, but from the way I saw it, there was a reference every like 10 lines of dialogue at some points, which really made me go "Okay the first 3 times were funny, now it's just bland." So no, Athena, Quantity over Quality be bad sometimes, lol.

I have my theories of where this will probably go, but I'll keep them to myself, but I will say for anyone wondering about that Bailiff joke. Yes, a NicoB reference, yes you need to watch his playthroughs of the AA series. TOTALLY worth it though, specially if you're an AA fan, which... come on, you have an account in this forum...
risefromtheashes

Tromend wrote:I had to make an account just to comment on this. Pretty good demo, I would say the only thing that ticked me off a bit was:
Spoiler : Spoilers, beware :
That moment in the MM with Sadness emotion being too inconspicuous. I think you need to make 3 sizes for the fonts: One that is big, an avg size one and a small one otherwise is harder to see which emotions are at a normal/even level with the rest or when they're more/less pronounced
In terms of writing I'd say it was good for a WIP, but there is one thing I did not enjoy as much and that is the pop-culture references. When done in a reserved manner and every once in a while they catch the attention of those that know them, but from the way I saw it, there was a reference every like 10 lines of dialogue at some points, which really made me go "Okay the first 3 times were funny, now it's just bland." So no, Athena, Quantity over Quality be bad sometimes, lol.

I have my theories of where this will probably go, but I'll keep them to myself, but I will say for anyone wondering about that Bailiff joke. Yes, a NicoB reference, yes you need to watch his playthroughs of the AA series. TOTALLY worth it though, specially if you're an AA fan, which... come on, you have an account in this forum...
I was definitely unsure about whether I was overdoing it with the references. I think I only had three full-on references, but I can see how it may have gotten a bit repetitive. (Aside from the fact that the murder literally happened at VidCon.) I'll keep your feedback in mind! Especially on the MM - I was wondering if I was making things clear enough.
I hope you enjoyed the NicoB reference!

I'd love to maybe hear some more detailed feedback if you're up to it. It can be in PMs or in a longer spoiler-tagged post here.
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:

----------
risefromtheashes

Responses in orange again.
Southern Corn wrote:Responses in red.
the.armenator wrote:
>NINA
I absolutely do NOT.
I wasn't expecting you to XD It's a reference to something else I played where there was a character called Nina who turned out to be evil and killed her whole family for no reason. Just a lame reference to that.
You're boring. /s

...I should actually do that.

I think I need to use another hosting site. I've been using Google Drive download links, because I've tried using GitHub but had no clue how to work with it and that got tedious. Any advice?

If I destroyed everyone with my initials, then the Supreme Court would be in ruins.
Every time someone uses the word "AS" (my last name's an S one), they have to pay me royalties.

Ironic. I just thought the references to other stuff here felt a bit too overindulgent? Might just be me though.
You're not the only person to say that. I'll look into toning it down, but I definitely wanted to include a reference to some YouTubers that I'd like to play LotH. I asked if you were serious because I thought you were referring to Elleixir and SirCaptain (the former of which was admittedly something I was proud of).

Finally, some music!
Thanks to your music not working I had to go listen to MBP in that time instead.
*pulls out knife* Don't bring that meme here.

"Worth" it!

Acting like one?
Just how she was like 'oh he's not just your friend is he? ;)'
I meant that she was being one, not just acting like one. :calisto:

Yeah, I get it now, thanks.

Yup.

Hit me, daddy--
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
What can I say? I have my... interests.

Right, fair enough.

Not really an attack but I was referring to Athena there yeah. Since she's never had a trial on her own without any help.
Don't worry, I wasn't *actually* accusing you of attacking me, lmao. I asked because I tend to be dependent, pfft.

That was just her awkwardly trying to be funny.

Have this gift.
Great priorities.
I laughed my ass off at those replies.

I bet they roped Edgeworth into it somehow as well.
Edgeworth's now hung up on the door inside of Phoenix's office as memorabilia.

Wait, so she started to get her doctorate since 12? Or is that counting high school? Oh also, did she just manage to have classes while being in trials and also helping out in Khura'in?
Well- in all seriousness, we all know that the AA education system is screwed, considering Franziska started prosecuting at 13. (Plus, Athena studied in Germany, which is the same country Franziska used to live in.) In-game, the idea is that she had a degree (presumably master's - which, in the US, can basically get you any job that doesn't involve working alone with individual clients) before DD, but not a doctorate. As for my comment, I was being very sarcastic, so sorry if it sounded mean, oops.

>:C

THANK YOU ATHENA
Huh? What's this about?

So... Blackquill did say the stuff about the security guard. That was why I was so excited when Athena finally inquired about it.
Yeah, the security company will probably have some serious explaining to do when it turns out that Blackquill had to go through a bunch of hoops to catch a murderer when they could've - you know - just captured the murder on camera.

Ironic. I don't really think that would be like a natural response after everything, leading me to believe someone else used his phone to do that. Or the message is just fake altogether I guess.
We'll see... ;)

I don't have much to add to this, I'm more surprised I used the term 'fee fees' and promptly forgot about it.

Ahh, my point is that I'm *pretty* sure it wasn't just in optional dialogue.

The green tesimony thing flashing in the background, yeah.
Will do.

It didn't, but I find it important to flesh out stuff like that. Gives others a good impression, and also gives a good introduction to the gameplay mechanics if this is their first AA game.
Full version will have more fleshed out testimony! I'm going to be restructuring the demo's progression anyway, so look forward to that.

We stan.
More like scot.
*confused look*

Ahh, well- doesn't matter anyway, I think I get the idea. Correct me in case I'm *very*, **very** wrong, but it REALLY look like you're JUST MAYBE a little bit suspicious of Nina?

That definitely makes more sense, yeah.
I'll be more explicit in the full version!

SC IS GUILTY!
Why use THAT guy's emote when trying to say you're a good person?!

Yeah, MMs in DD were penalty less, though they introduced penalties in SoJ I think, so it's nice to see them without penalties here because it makes me feel more relaxed.
Yeah- there was no way I'd put in penalties for trying to figure out someone's damn *feelings*. That would be unnecessarily cruel of the judge.

I probably wouldn't have gotten it myself. It's like the thing in DD where they show a relevant emotion but not too much of it.
I think I'll work on the font sizes.

IRC?
Exit stage left, SC.

Oh dang, that's a lot of videos. You're telling me I gotta watch all that just to get the reference?
Not really- but if you do watch his playthroughs, you'll see why I love him so much. (The whole bailiff thing is a recurring thing he has where DR's Komaeda is the bailiff and he has a relationship with the Judge and he's obsessed with bagels and the Judge is obsessed with turkey sandwiches. It's weird as hell, but it's fun.)

...I hate you. /s (*screams in agony* THE MBP MEMES HAVE TO TO GO!!!!!!!!!!)
In all seriousness, I'm grateful for the detailed feedback! It's going to be very helpful to consider when I'm making the full version of this case. Thanks for your time!
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:

----------
Southern Corn

Post by Southern Corn »

My nerdy replies are in red once more! They may not be completely truthful, however.
the.armenator wrote:
>NINA
I absolutely do NOT.
You're boring. /s
So was Nina, coincidentally!

I think I need to use another hosting site. I've been using Google Drive download links, because I've tried using GitHub but had no clue how to work with it and that got tedious. Any advice?
I actually have no idea how to use GitHub either! I should really learn it though. I recommend maybe getting a collaborator of yours to upload your tracks onto GitHub for you and then link them, because that's definitely the fastest way to do so.

Finally, some music!
*pulls out knife* Don't bring that meme here.
Does it really count as a meme if I just really like the song? Case in point I listened to it with full volume today. Without headphones. In an empty room.

"Worth" it!
You reused a pun, sorry. You're not good at being a Hunter for good puns, huh?

That was just her awkwardly trying to be funny.
She's that awkward, huh? Sounds like SOMETHING A KILLER WOULD DO

>:C
:awesome:

Ahh, my point is that I'm *pretty* sure it wasn't just in optional dialogue.
Oh yeah, it was definitely mentioned there.

Full version will have more fleshed out testimony! I'm going to be restructuring the demo's progression anyway, so look forward to that.
Oh, huh. Interesting to hear.

We stan.
More like scot.
*confused look*
tan, cot. C'mon, don't you know your basic trig?

Ahh, well- doesn't matter anyway, I think I get the idea. Correct me in case I'm *very*, **very** wrong, but it REALLY look like you're JUST MAYBE a little bit suspicious of Nina?
No idea what you're talking about. :sawhit:

SC IS GUILTY!
Why use THAT guy's emote when trying to say you're a good person?!
Wait, what are you trying to say about best boy again?

I think I'll work on the font sizes.
That should make it clearer, yeah. I like the idea of it though, reminds me of Divination Seances a bit.

IRC?
Exit stage left, SC.
:cry:

Not really- but if you do watch his playthroughs, you'll see why I love him so much. (The whole bailiff thing is a recurring thing he has where DR's Komaeda is the bailiff and he has a relationship with the Judge and he's obsessed with bagels and the Judge is obsessed with turkey sandwiches. It's weird as hell, but it's fun.)
That is... oddly specific.

...I hate you. /s (*screams in agony* THE MBP MEMES HAVE TO TO GO!!!!!!!!!!)
In all seriousness, I'm grateful for the detailed feedback! It's going to be very helpful to consider when I'm making the full version of this case. Thanks for your time!

That's fine. Personally I prefer Congratulations Everyone Again memes to MBP memes myself. And yeah, no problem!
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Re: [T] DEMO RELEASED! Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart ○○○

Post by Nicky Boy »

Spoiler : SoC :
Hmm, some sounds don't load, apparently. Let's hope its just sound effects or my internet being bad (I've refreshed a couple of times already just to be sure)

Mental issue awareness... That's a great goal!

*cheer*

Cancelled?.... I suspect death

Yup...

"It's almost shinier than Apollo's forehead..." I'm dying :calisto:

*lobby is silent* oops... Guess I'll go on mute?

For a sec I confused Nina for a character in my series (random characters ftw!) and I was like "Wait a minute..."

Sorry to tell you, Athena, but you're not supposed to judo throw anyone...

YouVideo... Wonder what inspired that name?

But that's a proposition.... A GAME proposition!

500 bucks for an all access pass!... Wow

Oh good, Logic plays

Rule #1: DO NOT PICK UP EVIDENCE

Nina knows too much about the crime... Could she be...

Oh Athena talks psychology. Alright

Oooh romance~

Ooh, evidence pics! Nice!

LMAO Nina, Athena wasn't hit :calisto:

"It doesn't look like it will help much of the case" I believe this screams "you better use this somewhere"

Phoenix Wright: Ace Bluffer, anyone?

Let Nina look deep into your soul... As you slowly lose consciousness...

"Generic pre-trial monologue" generic SoC response

Quite the characters, indeed...

What do you mean you shouldn't always use your attorney ability in each game to win?

Court plays too. So I suspect it was just the lobby theme that didn't load for me. Shame.

wasn't he Biblical ATHENA I SWEAR :calisto:

that said, a given name for the judge. Interesting.

Oh you know, I overthrow monarchies every day. No biggie

Yay, psychologist Athena! (But you're babbling too much and maybe Blackquil will be like Silence!)

What's this? A judge that isn't him or his brother? Heresy!

Wow Athena, burn :calisto:

OMG WIDGET

*Thrill music* hoh?

"A web site? Is that a location where spiders go to work?" I AUDIBLY SCREECHED :calisto:

I honestly can't believe this judge still presides over cases when he's dumb like that

"(Maybe he showed him... Oh, he DIDN'T! That pesky Weeklymotion! Miveo...!)" I have no idea what this is LOL

Hmmm, I'd expect all-access holders to go through tighter security. After all, they can go mostly everywhere.

...Yet, Simon?

Oh great, now we're exchanging threats openly

I love how ignorant the judge is when it comes to technology

I believe there's an F-bomb somewhere in that screenshot, yes?

Oh, it's just that.

Ok, is the suspense music supposed to be... screetchy and messed up? Cause I'm mildly freaking out right now...

Ok, at least I know my computer is not messed up since all sounds play fine. Still freaking me out

Well, Nina sure is one heck of a speedwriter if she can write that block of text and the two follwing ones in one minute...

Also, the final text is definitely not sent by him...

"If people killed for every insult that was thrown at them, we'd all be dead!" true

Ok, small break, I think that the music is messed up because it didn't load pr-- oh, now its muted its-- no it's bac-- no it's muted again... I tried reloading again, it didn't work... Guess I'll manually mute for a bit

"He dared to call / HER the innocent fanatic..." seems to be disconnected from each other at the /

I suspect her, too, tbh. (Hey, we don't always know if our client is innocent or not, right?)

"Now that that fiasco is over..." sounds a bit redundant

A DA with an opening statement? What sorcery is this? Real court?

Multiple choices = saving time

B) NO opening statement:
"It will prove Ms. Phan's innocence with hard evidence. (And bluffs. And luck.)" I feel you, Athena...

A) A bad one:
Beseech, oh my god, such vocabulary

"Nina Phan murdered two people over being called a [Censored. Please be polite]." pretty much

*screen fades back to...* erm, where's the detective?...

???: "Wait, something's wrong... Huh?" yes, that's what I said

Oh there she is

"Just cause you're a regular at the geriatrics facility doesn't mean everyone under 18 is a baby!" :calisto:

"(If she says Ema Skye, I'm going to scream.)" Mood

"ema Skye" oh boy... here it comes...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

"Were you just internally screaming about how I look similar to her?" Excuse me, we want the 4th wall in place

Hoh, no testimony sound effect, too? Why didn't it load all the nice ones...

Oh no, the CE music is slightly broken too... Why are you doing this to me, loader :cry: That said, the part that loads fine sounds really nice!

Ooh, funky upbeat objection music! And it loaded perfectly!

Ooh, more funky upbeat objection music! But this one didn't load perfectly!

I swear the music is so good but it got ruined by not loading properly for me...

Threatening the gallery... wow

Sneaky Blackquil...

Well, I didn't call him a bastard, Athena...

("Please"?!) Shooketh!

Oh noes, it's a kid!

"(I really feel for this kid...)" Fell what, Athena? YOU HAVE THE WIDGET HERE, TELL US!

Therapy?

Ooh, nice!Not nice that the mood matrix music is slightly broken too...

Hmm, maybe differentiate the present and press failure statements?

He's a talented artist! Nice!

Smart kiddo, tbh!

"(I had to get immersed in helping Sessler feel better!)" erm, what?

oh nevermind

Forged evidence?!

Janet, what the hell?

That preview though...
Spoiler : Final thoughts :
I have to say, this was a really exciting demo! While I'll admit my knowledge of DD and SoJ is kinda lacking so I may have missed a few more discrete nods to these, I liked how Athena was written. Nina got even more mysterious than she was, and Simon looked a bit too... worked up about this case. Like, he was forced to prove her guilt, despite dissing the gallery for making him into a bad guy at first.

The logic wasn't hard to follow, though the only thing that wasn't obvious was pressing his feeling anger about the Meet & Greet. I honestly didn't find it abnormal at first, but I guess it can be perceived that way. I also pointed out a thing or two in my SoC.

Also interesting was how you diverged from the normal AA-style court sessions!
Overall, I'm really excited for the finished product! I highly encourage people to try this demo!
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage