[T] Turnabout in Plain Sight ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Gosicrystal
Spoken languages: Español, English

[T] Turnabout in Plain Sight ●

Post by Gosicrystal »

Click the image to play!
Hello, everyone. I have played several fancases by some of you already, like The Empty Turnabout, Turnabout Proxy, Two Sides of the Same Turnabout, and many others, and I can say I'm honored to join the club with my own first fancase. This is no ordinary "I just did this trial because I felt like it" - it's in part a test for myself on how well I can write fiction, because narratology and all that comes with it is a passion of mine. If this turns out positively, I might pursue this kind of world professionally. I know it's a tough world, but one has to start somewhere, and I decided to start here, with an audience that shares my passion for Ace Attorney.

This case is set in canon, between Trials and Tribulations and Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. It is STRONGLY recommended that you play these two games before playing my case because it contains heavy spoilers for those events.

With all that said, let's go ahead and dive right in.
Spoiler : Synopsis :
Five months after the events of Bridge to the Turnabout, Miles Edgeworth is dragged again into the wacky courts of Los Angeles to take on a new case that took place in Hazakura Temple. And again, he goes blind, with not even a single piece of evidence to know what on earth has happened besides "someone died". With Phoenix Wright not being an option for defense, Edgeworth is the only hope of... wait, Bikini? What did she do now? And who's this glimmerous fop in the prosecutor's bench? Also, Edgeworth doesn't know why, but Phoenix behaves in a particularly passive-agressive manner towards this new prosecutor he's never heard of. Will Edgeworth have enough patience to withstand their shenanigans and solve a crime he doesn't know squat about?
Spoiler : Screenshots :
Spoiler : Credits :
Betatesters
Gamer2002
Averia
drvonkitty

Air Guitar animation of young Klavier
Gamer2002
jaems dundrid
Enthalpy

Young Klavier canon sprites, young Klavier's profile pic, and cardboard badge evidence pic
Court-Records

Steven's profile pic and sprites
Greeny

Violet sprites and profile pic
DragonTrainer

Iris's extra smiling sprite
Sligneris
Spoiler : Walkthrough :
First half

Phoenix's CE: Press all statements
Iris's 1st CE: Press the 4th statement, select "What exactly was the powder?", then "Yes", then "Sugar", and present the Autopsy Report
Iris's 2nd CE: Present the Atroquinine Jar on the last statement
Select "There were two jars"
Iris's 3rd CE: Press the 3rd statement, have it ammended, and then present the Autopsy Report on it
Present Wright's Account or Phoenix's profile

Second half

Violet's 1st CE: Present Wright's Account or Phoenix's profile on the 3rd statement
Violet's 2nd CE: Present the Autopsy Report on the last statement
Violet's 3rd CE: Press all statements
Present Steven's profile
Present Iris's Account or Iris's profile
WARNING: This case uses smooth camera scrolls. If you click too quickly during one, your game might get bugged. If that happens, you'll have to refresh the page to unbug it. If you wish to go through text quickly, I recommend enabling the "Instant text" feature instead. You have been warned.
Last edited by Gosicrystal on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Gamer2002

Re: [T] Turnabout in Plain Sight ●

Post by Gamer2002 »

Will be interesting to see a different take on the Bitter Turnabout type of premise. I can playtest.
Averia
Spoken languages: French English

Post by Averia »

Cases linked heavily to the canon are not that common, I could betatest too.
Gosicrystal

Post by Gosicrystal »

Thanks! You two are in the list. When I gather one or two more betatesters, I will PM you all the link.

Also, I haven't played The Bitter Turnabout, but it does ring some bells. I should play it and see how similar our cases are.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Bitter is very old, and I think it's not even playable due to custom graphics having broken.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing this when it comes out!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Gosicrystal

Post by Gosicrystal »

Nobody else? I only need one more betatester.

Enthalpy, would you like to help? I could really use your experience in this one :) It's a rather simple case with 2700 frames.
drvonkitty
Spoken languages: English

Post by drvonkitty »

I can playtest.

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Normally I'd say yes, but I am behind on QA reviews and need to focus on those. I trust drvonkitty to do a good job with this.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Gosicrystal

Post by Gosicrystal »

Great! I will now send you three the link privately.
Aeliren
Spoken languages: English and French (Anglais et français).

Post by Aeliren »

"Hold on! Who's the hoser who wrote "bikini" on my papers?!"

Oh, this is gonna be a good one, I can tell.
Gosicrystal

Post by Gosicrystal »

The case is officially released!
Vagrant
Spoken languages: English, Italian, some French.

Post by Vagrant »

would be cool if you gave us a walkthrough of it!
coming soon

turnabout in the mist
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Congrats for releasing it!

Due to the lack of time I only looked in the editor the section that I had the biggest issues with, I liked how you resolved them.
Spoiler : :
I really liked the new trial's ending. You created an actually pretty sensible villain that walked to the court knowing she already had get out of the jail card in her pocket. Klavier also got called out for his bs with telling about sugar and faced fitting consequences of his own actions.
Without playing it again I can't give my full review, but even the original version was pretty fine. So, the case is worth checking out.
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

Congratulations on the release!

I'm with Gamer on this one; I did a quick review of the few sections I took issue with in my beta review and most of them were either improved upon or changed altogether. There still are a few grammatical errors from my glancing-over, but nothing too dramatic. They'll probably need to be fixed if you plan on going through a QA, though.
Spoiler : re: the new ending :
I'm actually quite fond of what you ended up doing with it. I had my doubts at first, but the way you had it play into Klavier's arrogance, ultimately showing him start to realize the consequence of his actions... it actually worked really well, and addressed a major point of concern I had about your portrayal of Young!Klavier.
Obviously, I'd also need to play it again to give a definite review, but this has my recommendation for sure. It's not perfect, but it's an excellent first case! You've got a lot of potential, and I'm excited to see where you go from here.

DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Well, after playing this for myself, I have this to say:
Spoiler : :
Quite an interesting first case. After the first part of the case, I thought I had everything else figured out; Violet is secretly the girlfriend, Steven wanted to see her again, girlfriend killed him to stop him from finding out she's alive. But no, it was not what I expected. I also loved Violet herself. She's arrogant but she has a right to be arrogant. She had what she needed to get out of there without punishment and she was quick to rub it in Klavier's face when it was needed. If I had a complaint, it would be that Phoenix was a bit too antagonistic for my tastes but then again, he was just disbarred so what do I know? Either way, great job!