[T] [DD] Ares Oculus: Turnabout Swan Song

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

The Anwser
Spoken languages: English

[T] [DD] Ares Oculus: Turnabout Swan Song

Post by The Anwser »

Hi I dunno why you clicked on this, but I made a trial! My first one of uh... ever. I've had an idea for a trial for about 4 years now, and had a week free to do it, so this is it!

WARNING: This is my first trial. It's most likely buggy, predictably written, and a bit boring! If you have any criticism, I'd love to hear it!

http://aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=79971

Premise
Spoiler : :
This trial takes place in universe, after Dual Destinies, but before Spirit of Justice. It is basically all based around a new lawyer in the game. I was interested to see how Ace Attorney's dynamic changes if you have a competent person in charge, rather than someone who feels like they're bluffing 100% of the time. That said, bluffing still occurs.
Screenshots
Image Image Image
Custom Music
Hints
Testimony 1:
Detective Miriam does her job properly. Just press all the statements. If that doesn't work, try pressing the last statement again.

Testimony 2:
Ms. Charming's testimony is really decisive! If you want to shake that sort of evidence off, you need to find something which brings into question her judgement, or objectivity.

Testimony 3:
Special Testimony. Just remember. Blue is lies, Red is truth.

Testimony 4:
Ignoring the initial contradiction... there's something else the witness got wrong.

Testimony 5:
Ms. Charming wasn't expecting having to testify again... maybe she'll say something that contradicts what she said before! Perhaps... she'll end up displacing herself?

Testimony 6:
One of these statements is contradictory, I just know it!
Walkthrough
Present Defense Badge

Testimony 1 -A Shot In the Dark-
Press Statement 2, 4, 5, 6
(Optional) Present Office Note on Statement 6 'Athena Cykes...'
Press Statement 7

Testimony 2 -Decisive Testimony-
Press Statement 5
Press harder
(Optional) Press Statement 4
Press the new statement 'I definitely saw...'
Present Apollo Justice on the new statement 'The man was wearing red...

Have him testify

Testimony 3 -REDACTED-
Press Statement 4 (it's blue)
Where did you get it?
Present Athena Cykes

Present Athena's Medical Report or Athena Cykes

Let him speak

Testimony 4 -Close Work Friend's Gambit-
Present Athena's Medical Report on Statement 8

Who he hit.

Present Alyss Charming

Present the Phonecall

Testimony 5 -Missed Call (1)-
Press Statement 3
'The woman'
Add it
Present Bridge Plan on Statement 4 'And having fled the scene...'

Point to the 'K' spot

Present the Assassin's Report (if you needed help with that then I'm concerned...)
Select The Silent Witness

Office Note
Athena Cykes
Hid the body
Phoenix Wright
Apollo Justice
Police Phonecall

Testimony 6 -Double Trouble-
Present Weather Report on Statement 6

Changed clothes
Point to the river

Burned it
Present Weather Report.

Petrol
Point to the boat house

Present Weather Report
Present Petrol Can

Present Assassin's Report
I hop you enjoy the trial! And this ain't just a stand alone... more should be on the way...!
DJJ6800

Re: [T] [DD] Ares Oculus: Turnabout Swan Song

Post by DJJ6800 »

There's a glitch where the game ends when you're pointing out where Charming escaped from.
The Anwser

Post by The Anwser »

DJJ6800 wrote:
There's a glitch where the game ends when you're pointing out where Charming escaped from.
Thanks. Fixed!
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

The Anwser wrote:
DJJ6800 wrote:
Thanks. Fixed!
Still there. Tried clicking on the river and it still leads to an endgame.
The Anwser

Post by The Anwser »

DJJ6800 wrote:
The Anwser wrote:
DJJ6800 wrote:
Thanks. Fixed!
Still there. Tried clicking on the river and it still leads to an endgame.
Ok, try it now?

P.S. Sorry you've had this problem XD I'll be sure to get a proper play tester next time.
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Well, I just played through the whole thing. Thoughts below:
Not bad for a first trial. I loved the custom sprites and objection voices. (Even if Ares was missing his Objection voice. Should probably do something about that.) And those Hazama sprites. Man, I'm getting massive Turnabout of Courage flashbacks.

Writing was solid. Aside from a few typos and grammatical errors, nothing too out of the ordinary. Burst out laughing when Ares just ignored the penalty after he got one from pressing. He really is Hazama.

Mystery was fine, although predictable. Still, it can be given a little slack since you're new and you mentioned there will be more to come.

Solid 7/10 from me. Fix the technical issues and typos and it should be fine.

Keep it up!
The Anwser

Post by The Anwser »

DJJ6800 wrote:Well, I just played through the whole thing. Thoughts below:
Not bad for a first trial. I loved the custom sprites and objection voices. (Even if Ares was missing his Objection voice. Should probably do something about that.) And those Hazama sprites. Man, I'm getting massive Turnabout of Courage flashbacks.

Writing was solid. Aside from a few typos and grammatical errors, nothing too out of the ordinary. Burst out laughing when Ares just ignored the penalty after he got one from pressing. He really is Hazama.

Mystery was fine, although predictable. Still, it can be given a little slack since you're new and you mentioned there will be more to come.

Solid 7/10 from me. Fix the technical issues and typos and it should be fine.

Keep it up!
Wow, thank you so much!
I'm glad you enjoyed it! Might need to messages you about a few things, but just to respond:
Yeah, Turnabout of Courage gave me the idea to customize Hazama's sprites for a character. Was super fun to mess around with his sprites.

Glad you liked the writing! It's probably the thing I've had the most practice with; I'll triple check again for those pesky spelling mistakes though. And I'm super glad I got at least one good laugh out of it, though I'm hoping Ares doesn't become too 'Hazama'y; I want him too feel like his own character, at least partly.

The mystery wasn't meant to be super hard or difficult to solve; meant to be like a tutorial case from the actually AA series, so I'm actually glad you said that; was worrying some jumps in logic would be way too convoluted.

A 7/10 is a huge compliment! Thank you for playing through all the way!
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

I only just started playing this yesterday, but so far I'm liking it! I like your writing style!
One little thing I remember noting is Edgeworth is younger than 42 following Dual Destinies (He's the same age as Phoenix IIRC)
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
The Anwser

Post by The Anwser »

Ah whoops XD Should have checked that. Thanks for that quick catch!

And I'm glad you're enjoying the writing!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I haven't played this yet, but looking at the number of frames, I'm impressed for a first case. I'll be sure to add this to my "to play" list.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
The Anwser

Post by The Anwser »

Oh thanks! I deleted about 400 frames from re-writing but I hope it lives up to any sort of hype! Look forward to hearing any criticism you have!
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

Finally got around to playing this!
Here are my thoughts! Overall I really enjoyed this case! Nice pacing and I like the pacing of it! You've got a knack for story telling! :maggey:
Can't wait for the following case it links to! "Turnabout Draw"
The parts I liked and enjoyed:
  • I like your writing style. It's easy to follow what's happening
  • Is Ares' sprite set custom? I like his design and animations. The twirl goes a little off-centre though when he stops
  • The premise is very intriguing and I like how you reveal it to the player (nice work with the slow typing, no sounds and visual effects)
  • Your way of justifying using Ema's sprites for another character is funny LOL So are her and Edgeworth's profile descriptions
  • Ares cutting in mid-cross examination to rebut was clever
  • "Note the pause, suck it Ares!" - Brilliant :calisto:
  • Nice work with using more complex cross-examinations (like updating information causing a new statement to be added etc.)
  • I like the gameplay mechanic you created for the testimony with Apollo!
  • I was getting invested in the story! Nice work keeping the feeling of tension in certain parts!
  • Ares using Maya's phone is cute XD
  • The killer's MO was really clever. I love the creativity with it!
  • Was the "cases of old" a DGS reference? I love all the throwbacks you've been making! (Turnabout Beginnings, anyone?)
Some inconsistencies I noticed:
  • Edgeworth says Ares just turned 20, but his profile says he's 21. (Also, the profile says: Occupation: 21
  • The custom canon sprite thread has a profile icon for Athena that's in the same style as the original 4's icons, if you wanted to use that
  • Your phrasing for the first testimony Alyss Charming gives is a little confusing. "I definitely saw a woman..." then the next frame says "I remember him well...". It still sounds like you're referring to the woman. Maybe clarify this by saying "I remember the shooter well..."
  • Ares' name is missing from the text box that reads: "Let me just say, today, you've been perfect."
  • The case ended when I was proving how Alyss burned the evidence, selecting "Petrol" and then pointing to the green section labelled "boat house". Not sure if that's the fault of AAO itself or if you linked to the wrong frame here.
  • This issue happened again when I presented the wrong evidence at the next prompt. It could be that you forgot to add failure dialogue in parts? Or left the game to redirect you to frame 0.
I'm sorry that this is super nitpicky, but I noticed some spelling/grammar errors in the case. I tried to list them all here in the order they appeared. These aren't bad things, I just want to help polish the case a little:
  • In one line of dialogue, you've written "Miss. Cykes medical report" would probably be "Miss Cykes' medical report"
  • In "Athena's Medical Report" you wrote "Bruises where believed...", when I think you mean "Bruises were believed..."
  • Ares' line "(Yikes! This reads more like an autopsy then a medical report.)" uses "then" instead of "than"
  • "onward" is one word, not two.
  • "The worlds gone mad" should be "The world's gone mad" ("world's" is short for "world has")
  • In "The Close Work Friend's Gambit", Apollo uses the line "Suddenly, the person Mr. Wright was talking too pulled a gun." 'too' is used instead of 'to'. 'too' is used for matters of degree (like, "It's too hot") and not direction (e.g: "taking to"). This happens again at the very end by Alec. "I'll leave you too it" instead of "I'll leave you to it".
  • There's a moment where Payne says "What are your talking about, defense?" 'your' should be replaced with 'you'.
  • Alyss says: "Mr. Justice's fingerprint were found on the gun, and he was invited to the crime scene." fingerprint should be pluralised.
  • Ares says to Alyss: "I just can't figure out where you standing at the crime scene!" should be "...where you were standing..."
  • "she could of called the police" should be "she could have called the police" ("could of" is colloquial though, so it's not wrong, just not formal). This appears in other places later on as well.
  • "non the less" is actually one word "nonetheless"
  • Alyss says "You can't be serious wasting the courts time with this". "courts" should be "court's"
  • "meantime" is also one word, not "mean time" (unless he wanted time to be mean LOL)
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
DetectiveWhite
Spoken languages: Español, Inglés, Portugués

Post by DetectiveWhite »

I started playing a few hours ago and I already passed the first part and I arrived to the recess, but I want to leave here said that I loved Ares, he really is someone with style and that shows that he studied and struggled to be a lawyer, having a logic and well-constructed arguments, and the emotion on this final testimony before the recess made me want more of Ares, I'll continue playing and when I finish, I'll gave my thoughts, great case and character, pal.
The Anwser

Post by The Anwser »

SuperAj3 wrote:Finally got around to playing this!
Here are my thoughts! Overall I really enjoyed this case! Nice pacing and I like the pacing of it! You've got a knack for story telling! :maggey:
Can't wait for the following case it links to! "Turnabout Draw"
The parts I liked and enjoyed:
  • I like your writing style. It's easy to follow what's happening
  • Is Ares' sprite set custom? I like his design and animations. The twirl goes a little off-centre though when he stops
  • The premise is very intriguing and I like how you reveal it to the player (nice work with the slow typing, no sounds and visual effects)
  • Your way of justifying using Ema's sprites for another character is funny LOL So are her and Edgeworth's profile descriptions
  • Ares cutting in mid-cross examination to rebut was clever
  • "Note the pause, suck it Ares!" - Brilliant :calisto:
  • Nice work with using more complex cross-examinations (like updating information causing a new statement to be added etc.)
  • I like the gameplay mechanic you created for the testimony with Apollo!
  • I was getting invested in the story! Nice work keeping the feeling of tension in certain parts!
  • Ares using Maya's phone is cute XD
  • The killer's MO was really clever. I love the creativity with it!
  • Was the "cases of old" a DGS reference? I love all the throwbacks you've been making! (Turnabout Beginnings, anyone?)
Some inconsistencies I noticed:
  • Edgeworth says Ares just turned 20, but his profile says he's 21. (Also, the profile says: Occupation: 21
  • The custom canon sprite thread has a profile icon for Athena that's in the same style as the original 4's icons, if you wanted to use that
  • Your phrasing for the first testimony Alyss Charming gives is a little confusing. "I definitely saw a woman..." then the next frame says "I remember him well...". It still sounds like you're referring to the woman. Maybe clarify this by saying "I remember the shooter well..."
  • Ares' name is missing from the text box that reads: "Let me just say, today, you've been perfect."
  • The case ended when I was proving how Alyss burned the evidence, selecting "Petrol" and then pointing to the green section labelled "boat house". Not sure if that's the fault of AAO itself or if you linked to the wrong frame here.
  • This issue happened again when I presented the wrong evidence at the next prompt. It could be that you forgot to add failure dialogue in parts? Or left the game to redirect you to frame 0.
I'm sorry that this is super nitpicky, but I noticed some spelling/grammar errors in the case. I tried to list them all here in the order they appeared. These aren't bad things, I just want to help polish the case a little:
  • In one line of dialogue, you've written "Miss. Cykes medical report" would probably be "Miss Cykes' medical report"
  • In "Athena's Medical Report" you wrote "Bruises where believed...", when I think you mean "Bruises were believed..."
  • Ares' line "(Yikes! This reads more like an autopsy then a medical report.)" uses "then" instead of "than"
  • "onward" is one word, not two.
  • "The worlds gone mad" should be "The world's gone mad" ("world's" is short for "world has")
  • In "The Close Work Friend's Gambit", Apollo uses the line "Suddenly, the person Mr. Wright was talking too pulled a gun." 'too' is used instead of 'to'. 'too' is used for matters of degree (like, "It's too hot") and not direction (e.g: "taking to"). This happens again at the very end by Alec. "I'll leave you too it" instead of "I'll leave you to it".
  • There's a moment where Payne says "What are your talking about, defense?" 'your' should be replaced with 'you'.
  • Alyss says: "Mr. Justice's fingerprint were found on the gun, and he was invited to the crime scene." fingerprint should be pluralised.
  • Ares says to Alyss: "I just can't figure out where you standing at the crime scene!" should be "...where you were standing..."
  • "she could of called the police" should be "she could have called the police" ("could of" is colloquial though, so it's not wrong, just not formal). This appears in other places later on as well.
  • "non the less" is actually one word "nonetheless"
  • Alyss says "You can't be serious wasting the courts time with this". "courts" should be "court's"
  • "meantime" is also one word, not "mean time" (unless he wanted time to be mean LOL)
Woooooow! Thank you so much for all the detail! I'll be sure to fix all the things you pointed out!

It's also super nice to know someone enjoyed this so much! ^^ I hope I can just keep up the level of quality with the next case! People seem to really be liking the character of Ares, which is great, cause the plot I currently have worked out is kinda dependent on him being liked XD

Thank you for your time! I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself!
The Anwser

Post by The Anwser »

DetectiveWhite wrote:I started playing a few hours ago and I already passed the first part and I arrived to the recess, but I want to leave here said that I loved Ares, he really is someone with style and that shows that he studied and struggled to be a lawyer, having a logic and well-constructed arguments, and the emotion on this final testimony before the recess made me want more of Ares, I'll continue playing and when I finish, I'll gave my thoughts, great case and character, pal.
Thank you so much! I'm glad you're enjoying yourself! Looking forward to hearing what you have to say once you're done!