Looking for Playtesters (Knuckles' Chaotix: ND)

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Psychii
Spoken languages: English

Looking for Playtesters (Knuckles' Chaotix: ND)

Post by Psychii »

So I'm currently working on a game and am looking for some opinions on what I have so far. This will be my first game using AAO so I could definitely use some guidance and advice too. The game as I have now is about 15-20 minutes in length.

Sprites -
This is one thing I'm hoping to get advice on. For some reason, I just can't get them to align correctly, vertically. I assume this is because I need certain pixel requirements but I'm not sure what they are. Also had to take what I could find so the character Heavy looks like Omega and Mighty is custom made by me.

About the game -
For those unaware, there is a strange spin-off game in the Sonic series called Knuckles' Chaotix. The game is okay, pretty wacky and interesting but the gameplay is very repetitive. Since I played it, I always thought it would've been cool if the game had ace attorney-esque segments elaborating on the story because that wasn't really explored and could've broken up the repetitive levels. The aim of this game is to pretty much execute a version of this without the main platforming part of the game.

Investigations-
Now for this fan game, since there obviously aren't any platforming levels I wasn't sure if I wanted to fully explore the investigation segments or not. I tested it out briefly but I'll have to see how feedback is if I want to commit to this or just make it a more linear visual novel experience.

Link to test -

http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=109100
divzybean
Spoken languages: English, 日本語

Re: Looking for Playtesters (Knuckles' Chaotix: ND)

Post by divzybean »

I'm not sure if it's just my end, or something wrong with the trial itself, but nothing will load.

As for custom sprites, making them 192 pixels tall and aligning the sprite at the bottom worked for me.
that wasn't very punk rock of you
Psychii
Spoken languages: English

Post by Psychii »

Hmm, I think I fixed the issue. It should load now. Thank you for the pixel height info though, that was driving me crazy trying to figure out.
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

Playing this now and this is super unique! I'm looking forward to how this plays out! Overall it's super neat! I like how you're using the AAO engine for a Sonic game! Up to the cross examination now, but I'll keep playing later! I'll give some overall opinions on format at the end, but I think it works well as a linear story! I think making platforming with this editor will be too complex.
Spoiler : My thoughts so far :
  • I think you need some more text in your opening. You just say "Skip?" and don't explain what we're skipping
  • Ooh the intro's cool! Nice GIF!
  • The evidence icons look cool! The profile icons are a little inconsistent. You're using Knux Chaotix sprites for some and then a Heroes or Runners render for Charmy? And Mighty's sprite is smaller than the others.
  • For titles like "Day 1:Dawn" - try to centre the text. There are tutorials around here to show you how to do so.
  • Hehe, Colours icons for the main characters. They work well, the text box is just in an awkward position for them. I have an idea on how to make things look more consistent, I can make a mock up later.
  • Make sure to remember periods/full stops at the end of each sentence.
  • Hehe, Omega as Heavy. (I wonder if you could use Nibroc.Rock's renders for Heavy and Bomb? again, make sure you credit)
  • Vector: "Well hold up a sec. If you work for Eggman you could just tell us everything about this place and what he's doing right?" goes across 4 lines. you'll need to break this up into 2 frames to make it all fit neatly
  • You're good at using the sound effects from AA! Nice work!
  • Heavy: "Well, the doctor still has access to my head and can restrict me from giving out certain information so even though I want to help you I really can't." - this went over 5 lines. Normally text should stay at 3 lines per box, otherwise it starts to cover things up and looks inconsistent.
  • Bomb's sprite is so tiny XD You could try resizing it?
  • I just noticed you're hotlinking from the Sonic Wiki. Don't do this. Download all the images and upload them to an image server. Best one to use is imgur.com just make an account and share them all there (this way you're not using the wiki's bandwidth and risk the images disappearing)
  • You seem to not use commas in your dialogue. You might need to revise your text and add the appropriate grammar.
  • before "Day 1:Dusk" you have a blank frame with nothing on it. You might need to delete this, or set the frame timer to 1.
  • OOH I LIKE THIS DISCUSSION LAYOUT! Clever use of assets! The sprites line up well here too!
  • As I say that, Espio's out of line LOL you might need to manually make some character combos as separate animations to make sure people fit in nicely
  • LMAO that awkward pause
  • Maybe pick another Sonic tune for the cross examination? The cut to Apollo Justice music is kinda unexpected.
  • LOL Payne's objection for Charmy and Von Karma's for Heavy. You might be able to look through games like Heroes or Team Sonic Racing for some good voice clips for the characters. (Mighty will probably need a preset voice though. I think Phoenix works better for Mighty than for Vector)
I made a little test layout to help with placement of the sprites:
you need to make an image that's 256px by 192px (the size of a DS screen) and place them just above the text box. That black bar in the image is where the text box sits, and then you can make all the combinations of characters you need this way.
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april: