[T] Turnabout Apprentice ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Ana_
Spoken languages: English

[T] Turnabout Apprentice ●

Post by Ana_ »

Click the above image to play
It's been several weeks since Storm Sente last stood in court, but just as he's starting to relax, his friend gets accused of murdering a policeman in his office. With the world of law still shaken by a recent disaster, the call to duty cannot be ignored.
Roughly 2 hours long. Knowledge of the demo for Acquittal: Induction is not required, but you can still watch it here if you really want to.

Screenshots
Spoiler : :
Image Image Image
Credits
Story by Ana, based on Acquittal: Induction by Procella Games.

Art
Courtroom backgrounds by Badriel and ExitMothership
George sprites are from Umineko, all others are from Acquittal: Induction (drawn by DaphInteresting)

Voices
Storm: Austin Lee Matthews
Donovan: David Dixon
Lawrence: Corey Holland

Music
Investigation ~ Opening --- Straight Chaser (Last Window)
Logic ~ Deep Thought --- Dead Angle (Umineko)
Reminiscence ~ The Golden Days --- Violet Sky (Last Window)
All other non-AA music by Caleb Cuzner and Sherrick Wiegel.
Walkthrough
===INVESTIGATION===
-Home
Talk to Lawrence

-Outside Power's Office
Examine the rack next to the door
'Take one' OR 'Take two'
Move to Offices Corridor

-Offices Corridor
Examine the painting
Select anything
Examine the right-most door

-Power's Office
Examine the corpse
Examine either window

-Home
OPTIONAL: Examine the book on the left side of the screen to enable Japanese Mode. (Characters will shout interjections in Japanese.)
Move to Outside Power's Office > Power's Office

-Power's Office
Talk to Lizzy
Examine the briefcase
Examine the files on the desk

-Outside Power's Office
Move to Offices Corridor

-Offices Corridor
Examine the spot where the painting was
Move to Outside Power's Office > Interrogation Room

-Interrogation Room
Talk to Richard
Present the Blank Wall

===TRIAL===
Testimony 1: Initial Investigation
Press Statement 5
'Something's missing'
Present the Missing Case Files
'There's a contradiction'
Present the Office Key

Testimony 2: Shady Movements
Present the Security Footage on Statement 1

Testimony 3: Shady Movements (2)
Press Statement 3
'Power'
Present the Autopsy Report on the new statement

Testimony 4: What I Really Saw
Press Statement 4
Super Present the Station Guidemap and Autopsy Report on the new statement
'George's position'
Point to the hallway left of the victim
Present the Missing Painting
'Hear Donovan out' (OPTIONAL: Select 'Go home' for the bad ending.)

Testimony 5: Run Away!!
Present Lawrence's profile on Statement 6

Testimony 6: Discovering the Crime Scene
Present the Security Footage on Statement 2
Present Storm or Richard's profile
Point to Power's Office
'Disguised as the victim'
Present Richard's Testimony
Point to either window
Present the Briefcase
Press the new statement

Testimony Analysis:
'Outside Power's Office'
'Case Files'
'He didn't have time'
'Sente Law Firm'
Last edited by Ana_ on Sun May 14, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image Image Image
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Re: [T] Turnabout Apprentice ●

Post by Southern Corn »

Epic case, this gives me adrenaline 24/7 I recommend it
Esrom

Post by Esrom »

Just starting it.

Hmm, it appears to be set in an English setting. Interesting. And there's also been a catastrophe of some sort which has resulted in a shortage of good lawyers. Well, obviously that's not good but of course it raises the stakes for our protagonist.

Will probably comment more once I've seen more of it.
Esrom

Post by Esrom »

Well, I must say this was an interesting case.

First of all, the different cast with a different setting and a VERY different style of courtroom - one owing more to 'Law and Order' and other procedurals than Ace Attorney - are a nice change. The courtroom may look more like U.S. and English courtrooms, but the trial proceeds according to the usual formula (minus 'Hold it' and 'Take That', which are replaced with some easily missed bells and dings).

As for the story, in some aspects, it was a bit predictable, but generally satisfying.
Spoiler : plot details :
I pretty much figured out that the 'Power' that Richard sighted was an impostor early on. After all, we only saw him at that point from behind, and he only spoke after he was on the other side of a door.

And given the lack of suspects, I suspected that Lawrence would turn out to be the guilty party. I guessed that George would be the witness whose actions seemed suspicious, but who wasn't in any way connected with the actual murder. (Besides, I already had the 'the Power that Richard sighted was an impostor' theory and there didn't seem to be enough time for George to put on the outfit needed to impersonate Power).

Lawrence seemed like your basic 'older lawyer as a mentor' figure, and seemed pretty harmless (though his relationship with Storm could have used a bit more fleshing out). But then, we get to his confession, and it turns that's he's a lot more messed up than I thought he was. It takes a truly warped, screwed up person to kill over 9,300 people just to help your protege's career. And worst of all, he doesn't show any remorse over it.

Also, the revelation that the reason Storm wasn't at the disaster himself was because of his alarm clock being deliberately sabotaged causes the earlier scene where Storm is late for the appointment because a faulty alarm clock (something which at the time seemed to be just there to help us relate to the protagonist more, as oversleeping because we didn't hear our alarm is something a lot of us have experienced) to take on a much darker meaning.

One can hardly blame Storm for doubting himself and contemplating quitting after this revelation, that he owes where he is today due to his mentor being a mass-murderer. But I liked that moment where he realizes he DOES have people who are genuinely looking out for him, such as Lizzy and Donovan. Richard's disappearance seems to set up a possible sequel.
The case itself is pretty solid. But there's one detail that I found hard to swallow.
That would be the explosion at the convention killing all the other lawyers in the country. Maybe it's just me but it strains credibility that nearly ALL of any country's practitioners of ANY profession would be gathering together in one place. Surely there had to be more lawyers that didn't attend.

I'd find it more credible if the explosion only wiped out about 70 percent of the country's lawyers, and then a serial killer or mysterious 'accidents' took out 20 percent of those remaining, and then 5 percent quit and/or fled the country, than all but one or two being taken out in just one incident. But maybe it's just me.
Aside from that little nitpick, I say it's a good case.
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Post by Southern Corn »

Esrom wrote:The case itself is pretty solid. But there's one detail that I found hard to swallow.
That would be the explosion at the convention killing all the other lawyers in the country. Maybe it's just me but it strains credibility that nearly ALL of any country's practitioners of ANY profession would be gathering together in one place. Surely there had to be more lawyers that didn't attend.

I'd find it more credible if the explosion only wiped out about 70 percent of the country's lawyers, and then a serial killer or mysterious 'accidents' took out 20 percent of those remaining, and then 5 percent quit and/or fled the country, than all but one or two being taken out in just one incident. But maybe it's just me.
Easy to explain.
You know how Lawrence sabotaged Storm's alarm clock so that he didn't attend the convention? He basically did the opposite for everyone else. He broke into the house of every other lawyer in the country and made sure their alarm clocks were working. He fixed up/replaced any that were broken and installed them in any houses which didn't have an alarm clock in the first place. That way ALL the lawyers attended the convention and thus everything is tied up in a very plausible manner.
Esrom

Post by Esrom »

Southern Corn wrote:
Esrom wrote:The case itself is pretty solid. But there's one detail that I found hard to swallow.

Easy to explain.
You know how Lawrence sabotaged Storm's alarm clock so that he didn't attend the convention? He basically did the opposite for everyone else. He broke into the house of every other lawyer in the country and made sure their alarm clocks were working. He fixed up/replaced any that were broken and installed them in any houses which didn't have an alarm clock in the first place. That way ALL the lawyers attended the convention and thus everything is tied up in a very plausible manner.
I don't know. It's not the 'alarm clock' thing I was thinking of in the first place. This doesn't answer the real question.
Was the convention really THAT important? There couldn't be some rule that attendance was mandatory otherwise one can't practice law anymore - otherwise Storm wouldn't still be an attorney. Surely there had to be other conflicts keeping some from attending: Illness, family emergencies, busy with other things.

Furthermore, your answer only raises more questions, to the point where I find it hard to take the answer seriously. The case established that there were over 9000 people present at that convention. Unless Lawrence has super-speed, there's NO WAY he could, as you say, break in the house of every other lawyer in the country and make sure they had working alarm clocks. And yet in the case he's not presented as a superhuman, but instead as just a seriously messed-up human being.

In short, your answer is basically what TV Tropes and its fork sites call a Voodoo Shark: An attempt to address a plot hole that only raises further questions.