[T] Ace Attorney: Judgement Seekers ★★○○○○

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

doihaveto8
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T] Ace Attorney: Judgement Seekers ★★○○○○

Post by doihaveto8 »

Look, i just don't get why we can't have somebody else finish the series if Black rune won't.
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

And I don't get how you've been told that the April Fool's Joke has gone straight over your head five times now and still don't get it.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

doihaveto8 wrote:Look, i just don't get why we can't have somebody else finish the series if Black rune won't.
Now I'm confused. Wasn't it supposed to be just an April Fool "joke"?
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

It -was- an AFD joke, and I have no idea why you resurrected that dead horse after it was already well established by anyone with common sense.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
LucyLala
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by LucyLala »

Somehow I get the feeling this has already been answered, but in "Turnabout Detective Girl", what is that song called when Kuter Exxer--*ahem*--err, Naota Feykneme, is giving his testimony? The one with the sound of breaking glass in it. I love all the themes you used for him, Blackrune, but that one in particular stood out and I can't find it anywhere!

PS. This series is beautiful! I can't wait to see what happens next!
Gumpei

Post by Gumpei »

LucyLala

Post by LucyLala »

Dryhg oui, Gumpei~!
ApprenticeOfVoile
Spoken languages: English

Post by ApprenticeOfVoile »

Tried virtual and loved it, but with some of the soundtrack missing, it just didn't have the same impact. But I know that's not Rune's fault. Hope things can be brought back to working order, and that this series can resume sometime THIS century. I'm really looking forward to it. ^.^
Studying legal magic. S*** is going to get real!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

As part of the v6 debugging effort, I've played through The Virtual Turnabout in v6. It runs well for the most part, but there are a couple of errors on Unas's end to take care of. You can look at the "Glitch Hunt" topic if you want a full list.

Since there really isn't need for any "commentary" on Virtual, have some technical notes. Misspellings and hiccups from the early days of Rune abound, as well as some whitespace and 4line problems you have because of the switch to v6. Shouldn't be too hard to fix.
Spoiler : Part One :
It would be great if you could hide the profiles (Phoenix, Trucy, Ema) and badges until you want them up.
Frame 0002: Different whitespace behavior in v6 causes problems.
Frame 0014: Line break would be good.
Frame 0022: Whitespace.
Frame 0028: Whitespace.
Frame 0030: Replace the terminal space with a line break.
Spaces after ellipses in general would be great.
Frame 0057: Double space.
Changing "Ok" to "Okay" would be good.
Frame 0083: Putting a white-span for the punctuation would be appreciated.
Frame 0086: Run-on.
Frame 0218: "pull off"
Frame 0222: "programmer's"
Try moving to the Wright Anythign Agency from Blue Screens. Lisa follows you.
Frame 0178: "various programs"
Frame 0180: Space "Mr.Wright" and "Ms.Skye"
Frame 0190: 4-liner in v6
Frame 0289: Have an ellipsis or capitalize "you"
Changing the various instances of "1" to "one" would be nice.
Frame 0329: "determined, I"
Frame 0393: Whitespace.
Frame 0453: "I already have my"
Frame 0520: Improper continuation.
Frame 0541: Whitespace.
Frame 0637: Whitespace.
Frame 0640: Whitespace.
Frame 0655: Change the period over to 656.
Frame 0660: Whitespace.
Frame 0663: 4-line
Frame 0665: Text blips seem to be on.
Frame 0672: "something, the"
Frame 0681: "Greek"
Frame 0689: Whitespace.
Frame 0690: 4-line
Frame 0704: Whitespace.
Frame 0715: Run-on.
Frame 0721: Whitespace.
Frame 0734: Whitespace.
Frame 0752: Whitespace.
Frame 0758: 4-line
Frame 0775: 4-line
Frame 0786: Whitespace.
Frame 0827: Whitespace.
Frame 0828: Whitespace.
Frame 0829: Whitespace.
Frame 0839: Whitespace.
Frame 0841: Whitespace.
Frame 0856: Whitespace.
Frame 0866: Whitespace.
Frame 0892: 4-line
Frame 0915: Whitespace.
"Appended to Court Record" should REALLY be in blue.
Frame 0882: Whitespace.
Spoiler : Part Two :
0009: "where"
0012: "this, so"
0059: "where"->"when"
0081: 4-line
0103: 4-line
0105: "time, he"
0109: Run-on.
0168: "all, he"
0247: "obvious, I"
ADD THINGS TO THE CR IN BLUE
0332: "area, and"
0347: Capitalize "he"
0348: "butler, James"
0365: "treats"
0370: Add a linebreak.
There are text blips on some of Doe's ellipsis frames when talking to her.
0629: "out of the"
0641: Run-on.
0894: Run-on.
0920: "beam, and"
1283: 4-line
0784: "people, and"
1108: "its"
1128: Remove nametag.
0518: Run-on.
1087: Add terminal space.
1333: Missing nametag.
Life flash isn't properly 0'd after last testimony.
Spoiler : Part Three :
0028: "panic, and"
0029: "door, you"
0033: "access"
0094: "him, and"
Fileden, closed my heart still exists.
0248: Don't have mouth move.
0285: "sandals, and"
0309: 4line.
0402: Whitespace.
0423: 4line.
0597: Comma splice.
0679: "about, but"
Ghost attorneys~
0730: Plurality problem.
0786: "witness's"
0804: Comma splice.
0835: "that"
0972: "shot, since"
0863: 4line
0868: "thoroughly, and"
1059: "him" to "her"
1073: Comma splice.
1083: "cup, even"
1279: Whitespace.
1300: Runon.
1446: Whitespace.
General problems with details on ellispes.
1482: "sandals, so"
1499: 4line
1442: Missing (
1640: Put space outside color.
1662: "there, and"
1817: "key, then"
1821: "locked, since"
1850: Comma splice.
1866: "one, it's"
Spoiler : Part Four :
Check the fiel host for the "roar" sound effect.
0027: "incapable"
0038: "Well, I suspected"
0044: "here, and"
0054: "ago, he"
Ghooost attorneys~
0100: "that? It"
0105: "woman"
Watch ellipsis text blips.
0138: Turn lip-sync off.
0147: "left, until that Greek god"
0195: "lying, considering"
0206: "Do"
0307: "before?"
0326: "it, even"
0329: "ground, I"
0338: "it, and"
0364: "vase?"
0401: "witness's"
0403: Span the dot.
0407: "wrong, and"
0424: "dead, so"
0458: "appropriate."
0484: "said makes"
0486: "lying, or"
0497: "behaviour, or"
0506: "back, just"
0538: "unlikely, but"
0555: "going, but"
0648: "lie, and"
0652: "off-topic, then"
0659: "story, but"
0842: "(Damn, she"
0846: "why I suggested"
0736: "locked, so"
0896: "is it"
0986: "paper, I"
0990: "accidentally"
1021: "way too long"
1025: Whitespace.
1063: Whitespace.
1090: "extent"
1091: "instantly, but"
1144: "print, because"
1149: "there, you"
1234: "suspecting"
1309: 4liner
1348: "you, but"
1364: "None"
1372: "do, like eating snackoos, nowadays"
1403: 4line
1424: "off"
Watch the timing in the suspense track prior to the final testimony.
1535: "Every one"
1717: "poker face, but"
1734: "Therefore, I"
1741: Spaces.
1785: "sharp. I"
1808: "Okay," "later, but"
Ghost attorneys~
1933: "Well, in"
1949: "sent"; 4line
1960: "assumption, and"; "wrong, but"
1965: "script. It"
1971: "plot, they"
2001: "information, they're"
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
PWfan666
Spoken languages: english

Post by PWfan666 »

Some soundtracks were missing in the virtual turnabout? I didn't notice.

Well, I liked it a lot. I'll play the 2nd case. But about the first case, I have 2 questions :
Spoiler : :
1) In the "shoes reports" made by Apollo, the last line indicates that there were 2 pair of shoes on the stairs, when the whole group went back from the butler's room with the key. Whose shoes were they? The victim and ???

2) The butler said that he had a hard time remembering the code to the safe. But if he lost the paper, how could he open it and get the key to open the victim's room?
AhBengI
Spoken languages: English, Mandarin Chinese

Post by AhBengI »

I somehow wound up playing Turnabout Detective Girl first instead of The Virtual Turnabout (which I'll start on shortly). Playing it, I can see why it won its Best Crime award. The revelation of the crime scene was most breathtaking.

My first gripe with it is that Apollo Justice's mention of something still left out at the end but there was "no time left" to mention it; what was that "something" and could it bring the true killer down in the end? Or is it in a sequel? My other gripes with it are that there was no closing epilogue outside of the courtroom, and that the detective girl lacked interaction with the others, as well as screentime, especially considering the she's the eponymous detective girl.

But other than that, nothing else I can find fault with. Keep it up!
PWfan666
Spoken languages: english

Post by PWfan666 »

About the cross examination of the otaku, I really disliked how it was built. The gunshot before/after the defendant entered the house was noticeable in the testimony, but presenting the evidence to say point that contradiction was quite off in my opinion. It wasn't specifically written in the record that the witness testimony was : heard gunshot then saw defendant enter house. I tried after trying a few evidence to point out this gunshot, I just thought I was wring and tried to find another contradiction.

Moreover, was that really necessary to put a contradiction just for that? When he said that he looked by the window and saw the defendant because he heard a gunshot, Apollo didn't flinch. Almost as if it was relevant only for a later testimony.

Alright, I finally finished it. Another issue with the final argument : I had the right theory, but between the 3 options, not one was fitting it. It's only after that Apollo says "it's not this but that, in fact".

At the end of the first part, when you ask Rune about the detective girl, he says some mysterious things about her, raising questions about her background. I was disapointed to not see her appear at the end though. Maybe we will see her again in the sequels, but I wonder if they will ever see the light of the day. That's too bad, I liked the plot very much.
Gosicrystal
Spoken languages: Español, English

Post by Gosicrystal »

I just finished playing Turnabout Detective Girl. The plot is interesting, and the revelation of the crime at the end is, as others pointed out, genius. Unfortunately, there were too many pitfalls in this case for me to have a good experience. Let's analyze it:
Let's start with the argument with Ema at the crime scene. The way to proceed is to present the Barricaded Door to tell her that the victim couldn't have possibly barricaded the door from the outside and ended up inside, which proves it was murder. This is contradiction is perfectly logical and good per se, but the piece of evidence in the Court Record could really use some refining. I assumed the planks and boards were inside the room, not outside, so it never occurred to me that it couldn't have been suicide. After all, it was suggested to be a locked room mystery, where the door is locked from the inside.

The trial begins, and Ema tells us that the victim presented several symptoms of depression: lack of appetite and some more things I don't remember right now. The autopsy report that we get when she's finished talking notes that the victim presented symptoms of depression, and that's good because it is used later in the trial to disprove the otaku's testimony... except the report doesn't specify "lack of appetite", it just says the victim suffered from depression, in general. This forces the player to remember a non-highlighted remark of many from much earlier in the trial, and by the time the otaku says the victim entered a restaurant, the player has most likely forgot that detail because all that's been going on.

Naota comes to the stand, and he gives a pretty long testimony. This goes beyond challenging: it is daunting and exhausting, made worse by the impending penalties you might get for pressing harder and the abundance of penalizing evidence-presenting traps. Not to mention that the testimony can be lengthened even more, so the player ends up with a thousand and one details to keep up with. This makes it extremely easy to forget or miss the "I knew about this suicide note I shouldn't know about" slip of the tongue, and I personally had to proceed by trial and error... which made me forget about almost all details our hooded friend told us.

When Naota testifies about hiding inside a closet while the murder was happening, I could see the problem immediately: he states that the defendant made it look like a suicide, yet he didn't dispose of the dying message pointing at him. I presented it, but I got a penalty. I saw no other contradiction, so I had to trial and error this one too. And I was very disappointed to see that I was correct, but the game expected me to present the dying message in a completely unrelated statement: the one where he says he snuck out of the room while the defendant was busy doing who-knows-what. Big mistake.

The next complaints are not objectively bad, I suppose, but are pet peeves of mine.

First, the player should never be penalized for wanting to get more information (pressing) - that undermines the point of playing detective, having all clues. This is something that even the official games do bad, in my opinion, so it's not limited to fan cases at all. I wish this mechanic didn't exist in either medium.

Second, the counter cross-examination, while a nice concept, penalizes the player for not guessing that an ensuing conversation will derail into irrelevance. I personally didn't see any reliable way to tell when something was going to be relevant or not, and I preferred not objecting for the sake of objecting, so this felt unfair to me.

Third, the trolling subversion of Ace Attorney standards. By this I mean, at the end of the trial, the player is asked to explain a contradiction by saying that the meeting is wrong, the recording is wrong, or that both are correct. As far as I remember, every single time Ace Attorney games give you this option, "both are correct" is the correct answer, but I got a game over by trusting the classics. This in itself isn't that bad because I just had to reload a save, but I was so annoyed by the previous mistakes that I took this one worse than usual. And this isn't the only example: before this part, you're asked to say if there is a problem with the recording or not. Again, as far as I remember, the official games always make you choose "I have no problem/evidence" in seemingly desperate situations. And again, I know this might have been a harmless one-off trolling, but I was already pissed off about the previous mistakes of the logic and this didn't help fix things at all.

Finally, the black box mystery near the end. I admit it's a cool idea to make the player think about how a seemingly perfect recording can be flawed, but the sheer amount of options to choose from in this part and the vagueness of what you are asked to present made this impossible to solve. I had to resort to the walkthrough for the first time, because I would never have presented profiles at this point. I think the official games would have pulled this off with much more user-friendly prompts and hints to guide the player through the process, instead of making them figure everything out at once. It also doesn't help that I thought that the recording information in the Court Record was just an excerpt from the whole 3-day footage - I didn't think the victim coming into his house way before midnight would have been mentioned in court if it happened.
I hope this criticism helps improve this case and/or future ones, because it weren't for these faults, I probably would have enjoyed this case a lot.