[T][CE] Turnabout Revolution (phase 3 out!) ○

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Re: [T][CE] Turnabout Revolution

Post by Gumpei »

DWaM wrote:Alright. I've finished part 1. Crack theory tiem, go!
PURPLE POWER
Spoiler : Theory tiem :
Let's start with the ending, ironically enough.

The logical conclusion to what we have seen is that the gun Kristoph is now in possession was hidden inside a grate of a fitting room. In other words, his escape was most certainly planned. Working from this and from what I've seen, the logical conclusion would be that the gun in question is the one that was stolen from Burns. The extension of that would be that Kristoph is somehow in league with Justice. But, it's too... easy. It's obvious that he has SOMETHING to do with them, but considering Kristoph's motivations and who he is in general (not to mention his final outburst at the end of AJ), coupled with the things Justice is supposed to "represent"... I just can't really picture Kristoph being a part of it. So, how did he know there was a gun there? From what we can tell, he needed to be in the mall. To find the gun, he most certainly had to have known which store was it in question, in other words, he was lying when he said he just "couldn't remember". There was a specific reason why he was in the mall and why he had to be there. At the moment, I can't really say I know either.
All interesting... and I don't have anything interesting to say about it. XP

Moving on, I don't believe that Kristoph is the true culprit of the case.

From the information I have so far, it feels a bit too obvious, especailly with the way Apollo is constantly trying to push it in our face... :P Or maybe that's just what you want us to think?
Possible... or maybe we want you to think that's what we want you to think?!

Speaking of that line, Burns feels... Awfully, awfully familiar, for some reason. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something about his eyes... Well, could just be me. Also, this is completely insane, but I have reason to believe that Phoenix has something to do with this. Earlier, I remember him clearly saying the line "That's just what they want you to think." I don't know why but, considering all of this... it's a bit too much of a coincidence to have shown up here, of all places. XD Maybe Burns is Phoenix in disguies or something (don't know how that would work and all, but...)
...you should know that you are totally high in the rankings right now. XP (But the question is whether I'm talking about the wild theory rankings or the true theory rankings... :awesome: )

Also, why is Kristoph wearing his badge? :P And, why is he calling Apollo "Apollo"? If memory serves, he always called him "Justice", no?
Long answer: they gave him a fake badge to appease him. True answer: laziness. :D Also, I can't honestly remember what he called him, but at present time he calls him Apollo as a way to mock him, more or less. As if he's saying they're first-name basis friends.

Onto something else that caught my interest - Apollo. There is something extremely suspicious about him! (Yes, I am being serious!) He made it clear he was tired because he was doing something the night before. The office is in renovations, he hasn't had a case in four months, he obviously didn't go to talk to Phoenix... So what was he doing the night before? Not to mention, I don't remember you showing us his thoughts once during certain sections of Ema explaning the crime or any of the times it was discussed. Because of this, I have reason to believe Apollo has something to do with this, as well. He isn't the culprit, but he did do something.
Wellllllll, I could let you keep rolling with that, or I could remind you that he was tired because he was unable to get to sleep on what he claims was an incredibly uncomfortable couch. ^^ ...or maybe he's trying to fool you? ;)

Finally, onto the actual crime. At the moment, I can't say that I have that many ideas at the moment. ^^" Erm... The only thing I might point out is that the door didn't necessarily have to be jammed or did the key in Burns' possession have to be fake. Something could've been put into the lock to stop Burns from using the key. ...Just a thought, though. Afraid I can't really see how that has anything to do with changing any of the facts, but...

Oh, right, one last thing, Burns is still hiding more than he's letting on. Trying to fake your death is fine and all, but without a body... I'd say it's pretty useless, isn't it? :P
In the case of Justice, no, because the police would just assume they hadn't found it yet. Victims are kidnapped before they're killed, remember? ...then again, maybe you're onto something.

No... there's a chance that.... He was trying to kill somebody. Oh, also, it's entierly possible I just missed this, but how did Burns get out of his shop? Wasn't it locked, as well? (Or maybe I just accidentally missed that part?)
Eighthbit explained this.

As for who the culprit actually is? F*ck it, it could be anyone's game, at this point, honestly. The General seems to be the only one looking out of place, but I can't really say I *want* him to turn out the culprit. Soo.... Yeah, I'm interested to see how this will end.
Come back tomorrow, same bat time, same bat channel~
And,,,, Yeah, that's what I got from this so far. XP
eighthbit wrote:
Spoiler : Crazy Theory :
The killer is Matt Engarde. He was jealous of Shoe getting a place in the movie but not him.So he worked with Rydia Cypress. But not before brainwashing her, then they realized that they wanted to do a prank-call on Oldbag, for revenge. So they called up Oldbag but it was a wrong number and they called Hazama, and hanged up shortly after., this obviously enraged him, so he went to Dames in order to find a coat hanger so that he could kill Matt, with the hook part, he got into Dames early because Salem was trying to one-up Burns who opened super early the week before, Matt was stealing clothes in Au Bonheur, he got in using the replica key. So while Hazama was chasing Matt, he got inside the room, then he brought out a match stick, and a gas can, he brought the gas can using his magical teleportation powers, so Matt was in a room with a guy who has a vendetta with him, who brought a match stick and a gas can, so obviously he was terrified, and as Hazama prepared to ignite it, Rydia kicked him in the face, however, it only stunned him, and they managed to escape, but Matt dropped the replica key, Hazama decided that it wasn't worth it, and hid inside the changing room, because he sensed someone coming and wanted to troll them. So Burns came and prepared everything, but then Hazama decided to use the match stick to ignite the gas can, but Burns was examining it and hit it, then he got out his lighter and did what he was going to do.

Until Hazama decided to throw the match into the gas, on fire. Burns got the full forward force, but he managed to cover his eyes, and he decided to run towards the back exit, however Hazama was leaning in front of it, and put the key that he stole from Burns into the keyhole. Matt's replica key was found on the ground and Burns, seeing no other option, decided to try it, however, it failed. And that's what happened Your Honor!
DAMMIT I TOLD YOU PEOPLE NOT TO LEAK THE--oh what nothing

Also, DWaM, he got out using the door between Dames and his shop, then he proceeded to get out using the door of Dames I think.
DWaM wrote:Ah. Alright.

Oh, btw, something else just came to me:
Spoiler : Cont. :
Burns was there to actually burn Salem's place. He's part of Justice, if not Justice, himself. :P
Intriguing...
Ping'
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Ping' »

I see we've got some early contenders for best wild theory already :D

This is all very interesting.

All right, some replies.
Spoiler : DWaM :
Let's start with the ending, ironically enough.

The logical conclusion to what we have seen is that the gun Kristoph is now in possession was hidden inside a grate of a fitting room. In other words, his escape was most certainly planned. Working from this and from what I've seen, the logical conclusion would be that the gun in question is the one that was stolen from Burns. The extension of that would be that Kristoph is somehow in league with Justice. But, it's too... easy. It's obvious that he has SOMETHING to do with them, but considering Kristoph's motivations and who he is in general (not to mention his final outburst at the end of AJ), coupled with the things Justice is supposed to "represent"... I just can't really picture Kristoph being a part of it. So, how did he know there was a gun there? From what we can tell, he needed to be in the mall. To find the gun, he most certainly had to have known which store was it in question, in other words, he was lying when he said he just "couldn't remember". There was a specific reason why he was in the mall and why he had to be there. At the moment, I can't really say I know either.

That's certainly a reasonable deduction. We'll see whether it turns out to be right.
One potential weak point in your argument is assuming you know what Justice's true goals are. Or anyone's true goals, for that matter.

Moving on, I don't believe that Kristoph is the true culprit of the case.

So far that belief has been pretty helpful in the AJ-verse :cute:

From the information I have so far, it feels a bit too obvious, especailly with the way Apollo is constantly trying to push it in our face... :P Or maybe that's just what you want us to think?

Speaking of that line, Burns feels... Awfully, awfully familiar, for some reason. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something about his eyes... Well, could just be me. Also, this is completely insane, but I have reason to believe that Phoenix has something to do with this. Earlier, I remember him clearly saying the line "That's just what they want you to think." I don't know why but, considering all of this... it's a bit too much of a coincidence to have shown up here, of all places. XD Maybe Burns is Phoenix in disguies or something (don't know how that would work and all, but...)

A wild theory appeared!
Ping' uses Pokémon reference!
It's not very effective...

Also, why is Kristoph wearing his badge? :P And, why is he calling Apollo "Apollo"? If memory serves, he always called him "Justice", no?

Nice catch.

Onto something else that caught my interest - Apollo. There is something extremely suspicious about him! (Yes, I am being serious!) He made it clear he was tired because he was doing something the night before. The office is in renovations, he hasn't had a case in four months, he obviously didn't go to talk to Phoenix... So what was he doing the night before? Not to mention, I don't remember you showing us his thoughts once during certain sections of Ema explaning the crime or any of the times it was discussed. Because of this, I have reason to believe Apollo has something to do with this, as well. He isn't the culprit, but he did do something.

"All men fall", huh? :wink:

Finally, onto the actual crime. At the moment, I can't say that I have that many ideas at the moment. ^^" Erm... The only thing I might point out is that the door didn't necessarily have to be jammed or did the key in Burns' possession have to be fake. Something could've been put into the lock to stop Burns from using the key. ...Just a thought, though. Afraid I can't really see how that has anything to do with changing any of the facts, but...

Oh, right, one last thing, Burns is still hiding more than he's letting on. Trying to fake your death is fine and all, but without a body... I'd say it's pretty useless, isn't it? :P No... there's a chance that.... He was trying to kill somebody. Oh, also, it's entierly possible I just missed this, but how did Burns get out of his shop? Wasn't it locked, as well? (Or maybe I just accidentally missed that part?)

As for who the culprit actually is? F*ck it, it could be anyone's game, at this point, honestly. The General seems to be the only one looking out of place, but I can't really say I *want* him to turn out the culprit. Soo.... Yeah, I'm interested to see how this will end.

He's actually called"The Sergeant". I'll be keeping a list of predictions from everyone ^^

And,,,, Yeah, that's what I got from this so far. XP

Well, you've already done a lot of thinking.

Burns was there to actually burn Salem's place. He's part of Justice, if not Justice, himself. :P

And here's another one. Are you combining it with the Phoenix theory?

Spoiler : eighthbit :
The killer is Matt Engarde. He was jealous of Shoe getting a place in the movie but not him.So he worked with Rydia Cypress. But not before brainwashing her, then they realized that they wanted to do a prank-call on Oldbag, for revenge. So they called up Oldbag but it was a wrong number and they called Hazama, and hanged up shortly after., this obviously enraged him, so he went to Dames in order to find a coat hanger so that he could kill Matt, with the hook part, he got into Dames early because Salem was trying to one-up Burns who opened super early the week before, Matt was stealing clothes in Au Bonheur, he got in using the replica key. So while Hazama was chasing Matt, he got inside the room, then he brought out a match stick, and a gas can, he brought the gas can using his magical teleportation powers, so Matt was in a room with a guy who has a vendetta with him, who brought a match stick and a gas can, so obviously he was terrified, and as Hazama prepared to ignite it, Rydia kicked him in the face, however, it only stunned him, and they managed to escape, but Matt dropped the replica key, Hazama decided that it wasn't worth it, and hid inside the changing room, because he sensed someone coming and wanted to troll them. So Burns came and prepared everything, but then Hazama decided to use the match stick to ignite the gas can, but Burns was examining it, then Burns got out his lighter and did what he was going to do.

Until Hazama decided to throw the match into the gas, on fire. Burns got the full forward force, but he managed to cover his eyes, and he decided to run towards the back exit, however Hazama was leaning in front of it, and put the key that he stole from Burns into the keyhole. Matt's replica key was found on the ground and Burns, seeing no other option, decided to try it, however, it failed. And that's what happened Your Honor!

Objection!
That's...
I have nothing to counter this theory.
Damn.
Congratulations, you've figured everything out.
You, sir, are a gentleman and a troll.
Hazama would applaud you if he wasn't so busy setting things on fire.
DWaM
Spoken languages: English

Post by DWaM »

Ping' wrote:
Spoiler : DWaM :

And here's another one. Are you combining it with the Phoenix theory?

Nah, I'll leave it independent. That way when one wild theory is shot down, I'll have a runner-up! :awesome:
clcman

Post by clcman »

I have a theory.
Spoiler : :
Gumpei and Ping' did it in order to impress the mysterious duo known only as Blackrune and Bad Player as part of a top-secret program code-named "Never-Ending Turnabout" in which they used a device called "AAO V5" to manipulate reality, creating a terrorist organisation, getting a certain evil lawyer out of jail and starting the fire. They then framed the defendant for the lolz.

Am I close?
A Less BASEic Turnabout Part 1 is now in beta. Stand by for further orders.

What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Ping'
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Ping' »

clcman > That's the most ludicrous thing I've ever read :mrgreen:
clcman

Post by clcman »

So I win, right?
A Less BASEic Turnabout Part 1 is now in beta. Stand by for further orders.

What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Actually, you'll have to wait until the comp ends for the winner of that to be announced. SO HERE'S ANOTHER ONEEEEEEEEEE
Spoiler : Mah Final Answer :
Alright, working off that Phoenix and Burns are one and the same, I'll claim that it was he who put the gun in the changing room and helped Kristoph escape! As for who Justice is? It's Delia, the Sargeant, Salem and whoever the judge of the case turns out to be.

It's perfect logic, really.
eighthbit

Post by eighthbit »

Hey.
Spoiler : :
Apollo was held at gunpoint at the end of this part, it's gonna be awesome what he does to save his life.
Because I love Polly's character, and he's written very well here.
'Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.'
-Elbert Hubbard
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

So you say you want a revolution? Anywho, 3 spoiler tags here. 1st one if for comments and thoughts, 2nd one if for a serious theory, and the 3rd one is for my joke theory.
Spoiler : Thoughts and Comments :
TSub spoilers? Totally got to play with them.
Skip the intro? With your convicting second option, I will not skip the intro.
The intro song /isn't/ the Beatles? Aww... :(
Laser Cats 4! I totally want to watch this! I mean, it's a Mew Hope! :D
Oh, and before the case starts, totally calling Ballard to be our judge. Totally.
Hmm... This lobby reminds me of the hotel in the Shining. Iunno why.
Oh, and Kristoph is out of jail. In a move surprising nobody from your description.
Hmm... Not a murder? An... arson? Don't try and fool me, I know there's going to be a murder here... Somewhere...
lololol, Kristoph shows up! (Or is it Gilligan! You won't fool me!)
Pepper's theme... It's quite nice.
Salem, quite an eccentric and dapper fellow we have here, don't we. Also, no, I don't exactly want a $599 brooch. >.<
Oh, and looks like he's about to rage.
OH GOSH SALEM IS SCARY GET AWAY FROM ME
And now, it's time to meet our man, Burns, himself!
Hmm... He's an interesting fellow. I like him.
Also, hats. Yes, they totally should replace badges.
Top... Bun? What's with all these cheesy names! I thought you two would be above something like this! :D
"(Mental note: make Trucy's life hell when she starts dating.)" Yes! Please! :p
Delia... Is quite the interesting character, I'll have you know.
"I look forward to your crazy dry ice theory." Hey! Don't mock me with that!
Prosecutor: Yuuki Terumi. STOP SPOILING ME FOR FATEEEEEEEEED!
Detecitve: Robert Snow. Something tells me, this is actually a blueprint for your next trial, The Sarcastic Turnabout.
"...Wait, so you're telling me that Attorney's Habit isn't real and it's a problem exclusive to me?!" Hahaha, you're hilarious Polly.
Ema's hurt! WOMG!
Oh my. Kristoph... Is going to shoot Polly? That's... Interesting. (And here I was expecting Kristoph to be dead. :/)
Hmm... You've set this case up to be... quite interesting... So let's go to Theorying!
Spoiler : Real Theory :
I gotta say, there's too much here to be mere coincidences. The door jamming, I can understand, but the whole replica key thing... That just seems... Fishy.

So, let's get out a list of culprits first:
Peppers
Burns
Salem
Dalia
Kristoph

Do any of these people have possible motives? Well, while Burns says he burned the place down... It still makes no sense. Why would the flames jump from his store to the other store... Even though the gasoline is on his side? It makes no sense. Therefore, I claim that while Burns started the fire, the true culprit was at "Dames". After all, Burns was knocked out afterwards...
So who remains? Peppers, Salem, Dalia, and Kristoph. I feel like you're trying to get us super suspicious of Dalia right now... But it's most likely just a misdirection. (I hope) As well, you make it seem like she has an opportunity to take Burns's gun (MO Part 1).
So we're left with Peppers, Salem, and Kristoph. Of these, who had the best means to commit the crime? Kristoph, yet Dalia, would be too obvious of a criminal. Despite the fact that he has a gun (which could be Burns's stolen gun, who knows?), I don't think that he was the person on the other side. After all, he was being watched that entire time. Apollo's just going paranoid, that's all.
So that leaves us with Salem and Peppers. Salem could be involved with this crime. He has a grudge against the justice system. However, yet again, this culprit seems too obvious. You guys like to red herring people (so who knows? Maybe having an obvious criminal this time would be the red herring?), so I don't think he's the criminal.
So now, we're left with Peppers. He seemingly has no connections to the crime. However, he was a part of the Gavineers in years back. Which means, he knew people in the law enforcement. I don't know, I'm just merely going off hunches, but why on earth was he here so early? He was a loyal customer, so he knows the inner workings of this place. He, as well, could know about the hidden grate inside. So, I suspect him to be our culprit in this case.

Also, a random little note, it seems that Burns is almost at Step 4 of "the process." His precious item has been stolen away, his precious place has been burned down, he was knocked out, and you could say he was "kidnapped" by the justice system. Which only leaves his death.
Spoiler : Joke Theory. However, it still contains spoilers. :
The entire crime was planned by the evil syndicate of Moe the Clown, Jean Armstrong, Wendy Oldbag, and Frank Sawhit. Tired of being tossed around as jokes, they wanted to reform the justice system. They finally wanted to be seen as the threats they actually were. Wendy Oldbag, with all her skills in security, knew how to steal people's precious objects. In fact, she wanted to steal people's objects away in practice of stealing away Miles Edgeworth's heart. Jean Armstrong would then proceed to burn down their target's locations. As a terrible chef, he knew exactly how to burn and destroy food. Therefore, he translated these ideas from food into arson. The lack of fingerprints on the gas? It's because, since he was confused about his own identity, he left no discernible fingerprints! Frank Sawhit is our 3rd member of justice. He already has a history of breaking into places and knocking people out. He just simply used a modified version of "The Thinker". You may be wondering how he escaped? It's because the original Sawhit they captured was merely a clone of the true Frank Sawhit! However, this real Sawhit knew exactly the deeds that had been committed by the clone Sawhit, and as a result, used "The Thinker" as an homage to the first trial! And of course, the killer is Moe the Clown. Why? Because, only a person who can come up with terrible jokes like he does, has the evil capacity to kill people in such twisted ways.

As for how the crime went down itself? It's simple. Jean Armstrong hid inside the dressing room. He started cooking, which confused Burns into thinking the fire had started. The noxious smell of his cooking knocked him out as soon as he entered Dames. Armstrong himself was immune to these smells as he had grown used to his own cooking. Then, pretending the clothes in Dames were like vegetables, he proceeded to douse the clothes with oil... Only, this oil was gasoline. Then, he proceeded to light his creation on fire. And then, he escaped into Top Bun, where he worked as a pastry chef.

AND LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THAT IS HOW THIS CRIME TRULY WENT DOWN!
Also, out of respect for you guys, I won't try and leak (despite the fact I want to! :awesome: ) I'll just spend my time on DWaM's trial instead. Which I will now be going to.

BTW: How many parts is this going to be?

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

It's great seeing everybody's theories! I got into the game very late, so although I'm pretty confident that parts 1 and 2 have been beta-tested and edited fairly thoroughly (though part 2 could use a little tightening here and there), part 3 may have a few bugs in it.

That said, there's definitely room for a post-comp revision of the later stuff.
Last edited by Ferdielance on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Spoiler : Part One Commentary :
Turnabout Revolution: Phase 1 Commentary

2660 frames... Let's do this!
INTRO IS THE BEST
Unless there's country music. Wel, we have a terrorist group known as Justice, with four suspected members, Isaac, Jean, Mathis and Rita. There's also somebody convinced Justice is saving the city, but seemingly separate from the group. I sense a roublesome problem involving accomplice logic.
Yay, Laser Cats!
Apollo's swearing seems OOC.
"should have expected it would be something like this[,] knowing her"
Oh, right, the question is who the judge is going to be, since Paul Strings is in jail and Gerald Strings had a career change.
"run out of time[,] and it was all I had left."
"period of time[,] I insisted"
And now that I think about it, why are they in a hotel?
"days ago, and as suspected[,] it appears"
I get the feeling that I've heard this theme before. I just can't place it.
Yay, abduction in perfect security. My first inclincation would be to suggest an inside job, but that's why I know it's wrong. The police will accuse a security person.
"go after next[,] and how long will their tyranny"
"brain... [Y]ou're looking too deeply"
Apollo has to be the inspiration. Lampshade dismissed too hasily.
Note to self: Replay the game to get a start time
Ah, renovations. I feel like looking for bilateral symmetry or ghosts in nurseries.
Watery Fowls... What was the name of the hotel in NYT?
Phoenix using a word like "sentiment" seems a bit off.
Apollo's discontent and Trucy's happiness amuse me.
Larry in construction. Awful idea.
Apollo meeting Larry. That would be hilarious. Larry and Trucy would be even better.
Out with it, out with it.
Kristoph out of jail... Odds are: Unlike MSaT, this will be important. Justice broke him out.
Prediction two has been justified.
I feel like having Kristoph be the real leader of Justic would make a good troll theory.
Kristoph had information on Justice...?
Under heavy watch... Sting op?
They know where he is? Is this a controlled or uncontrolled break? If controlled, why did they let it happen? If uncontrolled, how can they know his location?
A fire in Halls... They're going full-cycle.
A coincidence? Get more genre savvy, Phoenix!
[it is you're planning[,] I'm going to stop you"
Kristoph's fault? Get more genre savvy, Apollo!
Over my dead body... Did you have to word it like that?
"oddly enough[,] there seems to be no shortage"
"Plus[,] I've seen stores with even"
It's a Laser Cats store. Isn't it?
Oh, Ema.
Possible motives for the prosecution: insanity, insurance fraud
Murray Burns...
A confession... Another odd component.
Don't Justice fires always start with a gas can? I'm pretty sure the newspapers said that.
"over the lighter[] but not the gas can"
No it doesn't, Ema. His prints should have been on it from when he bought it. This is such an obvious Justice crime...
The situation isn't as bad as you think Apollo. They either have to accuse Burns of being Justice or drop their case.
Most of the damage at Dames despite the fire being started in the other store? How do the police know where it started. By Ace Attorney Forensic Standards (AAFS), the police could get that bit wrong.
Defendant says door was closed before the fire... Every entrance into Dames confirmed (by Ema) blocked except the one from Au Bonheur.
Witness says doors were barricaded from the inside... Really strong windows...
Defendant further says the outside doors were barred, so then he opened the Au Bonheur one. Vents lead toward Dames.
Kavier prosecuting... Why do I suspect a sudden change in prosecutors?
Wait, they brought him out as a condition of his information? I think that's what happened, but it's really unclear.
Billy Peppers, entertainer... I do not trust this guy. I'm no Beatles lover, but isn't his fan Sergeant Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club?
Apollo told him a report was received and most of the damage was done to the next store over. Salem is going to be furious...
Au Bonheur des Dames splits happened a little over a year ago; very sudden...
Trucy Wright: Magician Extraordinaire? I'm honored.
"accepted the contract[,] and I split from the group"
I would laugh if the group was the Gavinners.
*laughs*
Contracts of another kind, doesn't like the law angle, curious about the report... My distrust of this guy grows even larger.
He was a demolitions expert. Calling it now.
I think Salem is mad.
"burden down[,] and you're being delusional"
"gets to this degree[,] it stops being"
Vera Misham, fashion designer. Huh.
He thinks that the fault was Burns suddenly hating him...
Trucy is trolling
Hate for the courts. Ed Salem, possible Justice member.
"it is totally stupid[,] and I will not blame you if you choose"
The answer is "undefined". Duh.
"ignited the store[,] it sure"
This guy is completely and totally insane.
Wait a minute... It's Scarlet Syndrome. Murray hates the courts because he used to be a lawyer. That's why Justice is going after him next.
Wait... What?! He set the fire to stage his own disappearance becuase Justice was going after him?! What's his law connection?
Trucy appears through the detention center when presenting her.
Huh? Didn't he block the door from the inside? Why would he need to use the side entrance then?
I get the feeling that when we see who this woman is, our minds will explode. Now, what color eyes did Rhea have?
There has to be a code somewhere in that message.
"creeped out by this[,] and I'm not even the one"
Delia seems to be the aforementioned admirer. More creepiness, as if her previous philosophical discourse was inadequate.
These cards are really off. Some of them are bigger than others. "Isaac" is in an odd font. Jack, Ace, Queen, King is out of order.
"any other scenario[,] you would have failed"
As much as I think Apollo's defending of Burns is horrible, he is right in regards to Rhea and Justice. The two are similar to the extent that both view murder as an acceptable punishment for a person failing to live up to their ideals. The only argument Cordelia can make is that Justice's ideal of "justice" is morally superior to Rhea's ideal of hedonism. The contradiction is that when you assume that a person, of his or her own accord, has the authority or obligation to do such a thing, justice becomes completely arbitrary, just as Rhea's pleasure-seeking was.
Cordelia stopped making sense a while back. This incredibly vague notion of "injustice" is the sort of madness that directly preceded the French Revolution and the Reign of Terror.
Apollo, did you really have to give the true answer to Trucy when Cordelia is standing right behind you?
Dry ice.
Wouldn't it be awful if Kristoph picke the wrong store?
This crime report is hilarious. (And also, my suspicions of Salem being a member of Justice just skyrocketed.)
And now that I think about it, Joebert... Something to do with the Canadian judge....
A jammed door and a fake key?
Replica key... This gets more and more interesting.
Never trust Kristoph.
I'll try to get a theory up later tonight. In the meantime, just remember: two independent clauses connected by a coordinating conjunction require a comma before the conjunction.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
eighthbit

Post by eighthbit »

Spoiler : Theory :
Everyone is suspecting Peppers, so I'll join this Peppers suspecting theory group.
Now... he's a member of Justice, he wants to kill people involved with the reform of the Judicial System because that's what inspired the Gavinners to become an original band. Now, he can't do these things alone, so his accomplice is Ed, now, why would they pretend to be four people? To make the people think that they were many. Actually, Delia could have been in on it, but not a part of it. So, now we have Ed and Peppers, they are Justice, and they probably did the act of burning, and they just didn't calculate that Dames would be burned, because the door jam was random.
-Elbert Hubbard
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

two independent clauses connected by a coordinating conjunction require a comma before the conjunction.
"That's true and that's false."

Oh, sorry.

"That's true, and that's false."

When writing spoken dialogue, the comma can be omitted for flow in many cases, as it also indicates a pause to the reader. I didn't address this in beta-testing largely because of that ambiguity! I do think that several cases could have used a comma, especially in longer sentences, but let's just say that my beta reports were huge enough as it stood, and the time limit was creeping up.

I'll fix the worst comma issues after the competition is done and other issues are dealt with, though, so thanks for pointing out all the ones you found!

(Capitalization after ellipsis in AA dialogue is also a weird one; I'll buy that Y should be capitalized there, since it starts a new sentence.)

Hmm. No other grammar issues but those, which I let pass due to time constraints and the desire not to distract Gumpei and Ping' from finishing later stuff?

Okay, we're ready for this.

CHALLENGE:

I was given minimal time to playtest this trial - except for Phase 1. But I've got Phase 1 locked down. I will bet my spriting time on it.

Rules:

* Anyone who reports a previously undocumented bug, grammatical error, or typo in Phase 1 will receive a free talking sprite commission. The commission can't be too outlandish, and my ability to do good poses is limited, but I can definitely do something straightforward, especially if Frankenspriting is involved. (Scratch sprites are not going to be nearly as good, but if you check my art thread, I think my Frankensprites are solid.)

* Directly reading the trial in the Editor is not permitted for this competition! It would be unfair to people who don't have Editor access. If you want to use View Source, though, be my guest.

* The following are not included among grammatical errors for the purposes of this challenge:
** Omitted commas.
** Line break errors or extra spaces (formatting changes at the last minute could have produced these before I checked them).
** Post-ellipsis capitalization/lack of capitalization (there's too much room for disagreement here)
** Anything in the TV segments.
** Idiomatic, casual, or otherwise conversational usage, such as sentence fragments.
** Variant spellings.

* Obviously, nothing that Enthalpy pointed out already counts. He's already earned his sprite.

* It will take me time to make a sprite, seeing as I'll likely help with post-comp revision of this trial. But I'll get around to it BEFORE I release Part 1 of "All the Brooks and Soldiers", which is already over 1000 frames. So it shouldn't be more than a month.

Can anybody out beta-test me?

EDIT: If I make a sprite for you, you must also be willing to give blanket permission for anyone else to use it in their cases; I make sprites for the benefit of the community as a whole. But you'll still be dictating the person's features and quirks!
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
eighthbit

Post by eighthbit »

When you present Apollo to Trucy in the first part, in the hotel room, Apollo says
"Becase it cuts off the spikes?"
-Elbert Hubbard
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Ah! How did I miss that?! Well-spotted. Send your request by PM.

In case the rules don't make it clear, sprites are awarded per person, not per error, so everyone gets a maximum of one.