[T] Turnabout Curtain ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

TheSpyIsASpy
Spoken languages: English

Re: [GK2][T][CE] Turnabout Curtain ○

Post by TheSpyIsASpy »

A major TF2 update and the continuation of a trial from my favorite fancase maker? Surely you cannot be serious! :D
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Welp, time's up (hm, well, not quite, there's still a few minutes to go in my timezone, but... close enough, I suppose.)

The curtain must finally fall.

Now, there's a reason I've been sort of (at least, on the xat) trying to keep people from not assuming things about the announcement. I can see that a lot of people expected that the case would be complete, once and for all.

But... that isn't really what's going on here.

The main issue is that, looking back on the story of the original Curtain, just when I'd said when I originally announced that the project was dead, that I was unhappy with the story. It was told in an unnecessarily confusing manner, had like 50 intertwined subplots that would've taken a lot more than just two or three more parts to satisfyingly tie up, and generally - in my opinion - a mess. You could argue that the confusing storyline is what defined it as a case that it was, but that's not a good thing for me. A little over a year and a half ago, at the very beginning of 2014, I'd attempted to sit down and finish Curtain - the original version - only to find out that... it just wasn't working. Not as well as it should've. Only layers and layers upon even more confusion which, in my mind, severely damaged the enjoyment of the story. Hell - to be honest, I wasn't even sure what story I was trying to tell anymore.

The point is - it wasn't fun anymore. The further I went, the harder it became. Nothing seemed right anymore and after all the anticipation and all the good the FIRST half had done... I knew that the second half wouldn't have flown well from a narrative standpoint. Hell, it wasn't even a "half" anymore - that's how big the plot had become at that point. It annoyed me to no end - a thorn in my sides that I couldn't pull out no matter how hard I tried.

So, I called it quits. As, I think, anyone in my position eventually would've done. I wrote this big post about the cancellation, and I tried to make it perfectly clear that Curtain, in its current state, in its current form, was done for. Gone. Dead. Erased.

But, another thing I mentioned in my cancellation post is that I was considering on making a reboot of the case. A "re-imagining", of sorts.

Now, you can perhaps imagine my confusion when a lot of people had assumed, after I put up the initial banner, that I was intending on finishing the case. Which, honestly, left me a bit worried because I knew that I would possibly end up disappointing the people that loved the original version and were really looking forward to seeing its conclusion. And, I really am sorry that I can't give that to you. Not now, or... ever, really.

This is a remake of Turnabout Curtain. A remake which, I think, tells a better, more focused story, which I just generally prefer more. It's faster-paced and generally, I think, better written than the original.

Now.... there's one more catch to all of this, dear reader. One which, arguably, not everyone is going to like.

It's, um...

It's made in PyWright.

Preface
Turnabout Curtain is a remake of a case of the same name (which you can still play here, the case won't be taken down). While following the same basic premise, it tells a completely different story, one that I'm sure that both the people who liked the original version and those who didn't play it will find equally enjoyable and surprising. It's the story I think I should've told when originally planning the case, but, being the young and sort of... insane person that I was (and probably still am), I ended up putting too much into it and... well, turned it into a mess. With this, I'm hoping to fix that mistake.

The case, unlike its original, is made in PyWright (which I understand some people might have a problem with, because it's directly downloading stuff, so I do apologize for that, but I felt like it's where the case would've functioned best).

Playing the original version is not, in any way, shape or form, required for you to understand the plot of this one. As I've said - it's a brand new story, so... no need to worry there.

Premise
Taking place two years after the events of Turnabout Succession, Apollo has been living the good life. Well, as good as you can get, considering his "boss" is as eccentric piano-playing, poker-cheating Machiavellian schemer (his daughter fairing no better); his cases filled with complication after complication, and his former mentor...

Well, we don't talk about him these days.

But that all changes when he takes a seemingly simple case of a high judge and sets in motion a chain of events that threaten to ruin Apollo and all those he holds dear...

Obviously, Dual Destinies is not in continuity here.

Download
You will need the latest version of PyWright to run the game (at the moment, it's 0.9880), which you can download from here. Not running on the newest version will cause all sorts of errors.

To run the game, place the "TurnaboutCurtain" folder in the "games" directory found in your PyWright folder and simply run PyWright. The case should appear in the list of games you can play.

Notes
  • The case is complete. Estimated playtime is roughly around 4-5 hours.
  • There is a walkthrough included in the case's folder.
  • It's recommended you play in two screens to see all the minor graphical effects and whatnot. (It's also recommended because I have no idea how the game looks presentation-wise in only one-screen mode).
  • There is a rather annoying glitch in the court sections - should you save and reload during them, the character sprites will be glitchy for a certain period of time (they will glitch in and out of the poses they should have and their "normal" poses). The issue eventually does fix itself, but to save you the annoyance - I've set up so that the game eventually saves itself every so often on areas which you can safely reload from and avoid the problem. Now, unlike my last PyWright case, you are also free to save of your own accord. But know that the glitch will be there. Also note that it won't be THAT frequent so you can fix every mistake you make - usually at the beginning of testimonies.
  • Should the music, for whatever reason (there shouldn't be any more possibility of that happening, but if it does) just save and reload the game. It should fix itself.
  • An important note regarding an event in the game:
Spoiler : Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled on one aspect of the game :
There is a part in the case that depicts a real and serious psychological condition. I have tried my best to not go into any details about it and to make it as obvious as possible that it is not an actual representation of the problem. Should I have offended anyone in any way, shape or form, I sincerely and honestly apologize from the bottom of my heart, that was not my intention.
Credits
Spoiler : Credits, contains spoilers for the case! :
WRITING
DWaM - Story, Writing
kwando1313 - Minor Story Assistance
SPRITES
Lind - Dorian Hobbes, Andrea Lure, Michael Tiala, Jeremiah's Profile
AP-master - Deliah Gate
Tap and gotMLK7 - "Mr. Hyde"
AABattery - Briefly-shown drawing of "Mr. Hyde""
VirtAnderson - Phoenix Front
Sligneris - New Edgeworth Front
Tap and jeti - Apollo Front
ApolloGrimoire - Crying Trucy Pose
enigma, Dave, Naagloshi - "Evil" Apollo
TheDoctor - Prosecutor Phoenix
Ropfa - "Emo" Apollo Pose
MUSIC USED
"Daughters of Chaos" (Dark Souls Soundtrack)
"minute darkness" (Umineko no Naku koro Ni)
"suspicion" (Umineko no Naku koro Ni)
"Lure" (Umineko no Naku koro Ni)
"Dead angle" (Umineko no Naku koro Ni)
"The first and the last" (Umineko no Naku koro Ni)
"Steady pace" (Umineko no Naku koro Ni)
"lixAxil" (Umineko no Naku koro Ni)
"Track 8" (Divi Dead)
"Onigaen" (Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni)
"Placidity" (Virtue's Last Reward)
"Clues 06" (L. A. Noire)
"Distorted Theory" (Chaos Head)
"Solitary Confinement Creepy" (by Triplemathics)
"Dark Knight" (by DYATHON)
"Everything Ends Here" (by BlueLionMusic)
"The Demon Within" (by Luke Georgiou)
BETA-TESTING
kwando1313, enigma
SPECIAL THANKS
E. D. Revolution - Took some peeks in his code with the trial sections
saluk - The PyWright Engine
You - For Playing!

BB had asked me if this was "the end". And I told him "yeah". He was referring to "the end of Curtain"., but I was actually referring to my time as a case-maker.

This is the last one.

Over the years, I've somewhat lost interest in the games and the franchise (even the characters) and it took quite a spark to get me to even sit down and plan out this reboot. Hell, chances are, I probably won't even have the time to dedicate my time to a project of any kind. Coupled with the fact that fewer and fewer note-worthy cases were being made in general and that it's obvious that the interest for cases on here has dropped significantly, I just don't really find it as fun as I used to.

Like, the days when MSaT was the hype of the town, speculated about Pairs, the morning you woke up and played TRev, speculated more about Burial, or the days when we had a really big turn-out for case competitions (in the end, there were never really A LOT of entrants, but people showed a lot of interest and general discussion about what was to come. Now... not so much).

If I do finish a case after this, it would have to be in quite abnormal circumstances.
Last edited by DWaM on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calvinball

Re: [T] Turnabout Curtain ●

Post by Calvinball »

Fascinating. Now I see why everything we've done has been for nothing (I mean, in the original case. Oh, you get what I mean.).

Well, I don't think there's a better way to go, DWaM. From what I can tell, Turnabout Curtain was one of the biggest trials ever on AAO. Ending your fancase career with a remake of such a case seems appropriate. Ashes to ashes? Or maybe I'm just thinking too much.

I will endeavor to find the time to play this. It won't be soon, but I will nonetheless endeavor!

And if I may say one more thing. You don't know me all that well, since I'm still rekatively new, but I lurked on AAO for quite a long time. Turnabout Curtain was, I think, the first AAO case I ever played. Either that or Undying Dream.

But anyway. My point is that the quality I saw in Curtain the first time I played it amazed and amazes me. It made me believe in AAO, that it could do awesome things. So, in an odd way, thank you for bringing me here, I think. Without Turnabout Curtain, I don't think I would've ever made The Broken Turnabout and I might not have ever joined these forums. It's a fun time here, and I'm glad I'm not missing out.
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

You've done a good job, DWaM. And, well, sad to see you retire, though, (at least) I wholly expected it coming. XP

Stil, it's good to go out on a high note. And, I must say that this was one of DWaM's finest works - pretty much everything, from characterisation, story, pacing, solution... All of it works out brilliantly.

But yes, have fun with your retirement, DWaM. It's an honour to have been able to collaborate and help you throughout all the cases you've made.

and I've always got the crack case overview I can read over and over again

AND YOU'D BETTER DO THAT IF YOU MAKE ANOTHER CASE

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

@calvinball:
Well, I'm glad it managed to leave such an impact with you, despite my own issues with it...

Keep in mind that it's not really the same story, so your experience and enjoyment may differ... but I'll still hold onto my opinion that it's better than the original.

In any case, looking forward to you playing it!

@kwando:
what is this kwando, the last conversation before the final boss of dragon age
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

damn now i probably can't keep making virtue's last undone curtain jokes i still had a million of em

(i will play this and cry about the end of dwam later--for now, celebration)
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

I just realized something. DWaM has just released a case that has a plot synopsis (of sorts).

Maybe it's just me, but this feels weird.
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Well, it happened before

once
TheAfroGoddess

Post by TheAfroGoddess »

I'm new and I know you don't know me, but I have thoroughly enjoyed all of your cases. Just so you know :)
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

I mean no disrespect to your decision, but, well... maybe there will come a time where you feel like writing again, so I don't feel like "goodbye" is the right word. We've gone through this before, you know? But honestly, different circumstances. I can see how there isn't much left for you at this point, so while maybe this isn't the end, maybe it is. We'll see how things go down the road. You've certainly got nothing left to prove, so I get it.

So, instead of "goodbye", I'll just say "Thank you". For, well... literally everything. When I first played Tomorrow, way back a couple of years ago, and was completely stunned by it, I had it in my head that because I experienced something like this, I never wanted to be a part of writing ever again. I just wanted to enjoy everything of this quality. More beauty in observing than creating. Something like that, I'm sure I can find the post if you really need me to.

Thing is, I had it completely backwards. Deep down inside, your writing style didn't make me want to quit writing. It made me want to GET to something resembling that level. It made me WANT to study it, to see why your character interactions and back and forth were as fascinating and witty as they were. It made me want to write dialogue like that. Discarding my own dreams in the presence of a product that was vastly superior to anything I could comprehend at that point wasn't the right answer. The right answer was to learn from it, be inspired from it, and try to be that good myself, even if I couldn't be quite at that same level.

Have I progressed a lot in my goals since then? Well, no. But I'd have progressed even LESS if you never released Turnabout Tomorrow that day. And instead of having projects I'm being too lazy to write, I wouldn't have any projects at all.

So, I'm sure you get sick of me telling you this at every single opportunity I get, but I say it because it's the truth. And whenever I speak, I tell the truth.

Thank you, DWaM. Thank you for the inspiration, the entertainment, and the fact that I'm still (kind of) writing cases.

You'd never know it from how little I work on my projects, but it means everything. And that's why I never shut up about it.

PS: I'll play the case tomorrow.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Since PyWright's site seems to be down, you can download PyWright from here.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

kwando COMING IN FOR THE SAVE

seriously, what a tragedy this could have been

When the Impeach GD from xat admin campaign goes through, i changed my mind, kwando is getting voted in as head admin

JUST FOR THE SAVE
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Blizdi

Post by Blizdi »

DWaM! I remember back when I was banned for spoiling Dual Destinies, and you were the only one who didn't absolutely hate me! I'm gonna miss your unique trial style and fantastic writing.

Are you still gonna be beta testing CoI with us? Or is this TRULY the end of PW related endeavors?
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

@BB:
Thank you for the kind words. It's, uh, been some ride, I'll tell you that much. I wish you the best of luck to see your own projects come to fruition. Who knows, maybe they'll end up being the reason for me to change my mind someday?

@kwando1313:
Thanks for re-uploading, link added in the OP.

@Blizdi:
I'll still be around for beta-ing and probably play other cases in general. I've lost interest in the series enough to not really want to write anymore, but I still want to see what other people can do with it all!
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

DWaM wrote:
There's no running from the past...

New banner?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

(looks nice)