[T] The Empty Turnabout ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Reverie
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T] The Empty Turnabout ●

Post by Reverie »

2010 Awarded Trials
2011 Awarded Trials
2012 Awarded Trials
2013 Awarded Trials

There's a few others like Turnabout Reversal and Turnabout Proxy, but most of the good trials are nominated on those lists. There's also a bunch of incomplete things that are supposed to be good, but I don't follow those. The only ones I know exist are in those threads, or are At Dawn's Break.
and Turnabout Higurashi this a still relevant funny joke here hahaha etc
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

I would say...
-Stuff made by me, Blackrune, DWaM, Enthalpy, and/or FerdieLance
-Awarded/nominated trials
-Featured trials
-Case competition winners/entries
These are probably your best bets.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

I pretty much agree with BP, but add The Omniscient Game there. That's good too, though not AA-related at all.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Mr. Onizuka
Spoken languages: English, Español

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

Thanks you all. I'll check those.
WhiteZekrom

Post by WhiteZekrom »

Spoiler : Spoilers for Empty Turnabout/Substitution :
I would like to thank you and the people that assisted you into making such an awesome game such as this, DWaM. It was certainly mysterious and fun. I would like to comment that Athena's personality was weird, creepy and uncomfortable in a loony sort of way. She reminded me a lot of Rhea from Turnabout Substitution (was that on purpose?).
Last edited by WhiteZekrom on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Onizuka

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

You are right, Rhea! I remember that case. Was kind of buggy at the end, but overall it was a remarkable case.
Spoiler : SPOILERS for this trial, and Trunabout Substitution :
However, this psycho!Athena was quite overbold about who she really was, while Rhea did her best to hide it.
Last edited by Mr. Onizuka on Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Um, guys. Spoiler tags? ^_^"

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Mr. Onizuka

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

kwando1313 wrote:Um, guys. Spoiler tags? ^_^"
Hahaha, crap, didn't notice! Thanks for the heads up, post edited.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Good case. I love the new judge's personality. It was worth it just for that. Kind of screwed myself over a little bit though. I played through part 1 a few months before starting part 2 and 3, so some of the contradictions that required me remembering testimony from part 1 got me a little confused.

I think I'm with the majority of the people here that didn't understand the ending. (I had the same problem with Turnabout Tomorrow, come to think of it. Maybe it's a DWaM think). Anyway, I'd love a little clarification.

EDIT: I have to know where you got Athena's theme. It's got this amazingly psychotic tone, and I'd love to know what it's original context was.
Image Image Image
nikekut456

Post by nikekut456 »

Spoiler : Case Explanation :
Hmm can someone explain something about these plz:
- So Marston did shot the bullet, but did it hit Arts or it just flew out the balcony? And Art's traces of blood are just all of his fake death's preparation?
- And why did Marston not testify about the fact that Mary is the only one staying beside Arts after the shot? 100% sure he's not in part of this "preparation". Is it about protecting Mary? But of what?
Also can someone give me the music track list used in chapter 3?
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

If it's alright, I'd like to ask for a hint of some kind. I'm trying to avoid turning to the walkthrough every time I make a stumble. So, here goes...
Spoiler : Spoilers for The Empty Turnabout, of course :
Apollo: (Because he knows "it" could be my greatest weapon in this situation!)

Erm... what IS it?

Okay, got that, but... everything else????? o.0

And a scenario that involves another killer... all I can think of is the butler and Athena (the Athena thing is for metagaming reasons; I mean, she has to come in at some point, right?). Couldn't the butler have used the master key to enter the room himself, or something? Or... Ian Arts had a twin?

Yeah, I'm grasping here. The whole thing has me completely boggled, honestly. Soooo... help please?
EDIT: It took awhile, but I managed to get it on my own. Sorry for any hassle! ^~^
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Legal Doublepost
Spoiler : Brief thoughts with spoilers :
Astonishingly optimistic in the end given the tone of the case throughout. I believe Ferdielance referred to The Empty Turnabout seeming like a sort of practice run for Turnabouts of the Father -- I definitely see the parallels. The theme of Empty is rather similar to TotF in the end, thought it takes longer to get to it in the former than the latter.

Anyway. I'm trying to keep this short. The unusual framework of the case -- flowing from trial to flashbacks in investigations to Apollo's perspective to Phoenix's to Edgeworth's to Mary's to Athena's -- is used to powerful effect. While I do mentally take a point off for "Death Note style melodrama" (I stole that line from Ferdielance, if I recall correctly) it's not done to the point of breaking my own suspension of disbelief. And while the "locked room" is used as a sort of bludgeon early on in the case to the point that I got ticked off every time ANOTHER ridiculous thing was added to keep it locked, I got over it pretty easily. The locked room business was more a matter of my own tastes.

Not all the questions about the narrative were answered at the end -- but then again, not all of them needed to be. I still don't know who Mary was talking to in that flashback, but aside from that I feel very content with the narrative's conclusion.

As for the mystery, it's well-written in my opinion -- though some of the leaps of logic are a little hard to follow. What immediately comes to mind are some of the profile objections and the puzzle where Apollo has to explain that one of the witnesses MUST have seen Ian Arts's body despite Mary Adair's claims. Certainly not a perfectly crafted mystery -- nothing is, though I think Ferdielance had more to say about puzzle design -- but its extremely solid.

Basically, I liked it. Um... yeah(yeah, all you competition entrants have such a WONDERFUL review to look forward to from me. Not.)

Oh, and Psycho Cykes is my new favorite twist on a canon character. I mean, dang, it just works really well. And this is coming from someone who does NOT dislike Athena Cykes as a character (though she could've been introduced better...).

Oh, and awesome music too. Excellent choices in my opinion.
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
Tharthan
Spoken languages: English, some Japanese, Dutch, Spanish, French
Location: Rhode Island, a state in the northeastern United States

Post by Tharthan »

Spoiler : :
Thanks for not making us defend Trucy. I wouldn't have done it, I would have skipped right past it with the walkthrough. And not because I don't believe that people makes mistakes (I do believe that, because it is 100% true), but because I believe that the current attitude of saying "eveybody makes mistakes" to justify increasingly worse things doesn't cut it at all whatsoever.
Alright, I'll bite. I'll do a play-by-play from Chapter 2 onwards, starting from the line
(...Something good NEEDS to come from Mr. Marston's testimony...)
Play-by-play:
*I sure hope so, this has been tough to move anything along thus far.
*Who is being referred to with "her"? CorruptMcGee Psyches?
*No idea why they looked past the body issue either, except that it may have been inconvenient to explain outright.
*Won't even let me press at all, huh? All right, I'll play your game.
*Changed so little? Do explain.
*"Show me a logical chain of events supported by evidence or get lost!" is not something that Edgeworth would say, I think. But it still made me chuckle.
*Press everything time!
*I had fun pressing everything.
*I'm going to try all of these options, thanks.
*Eh... not as funny as I expected.
*THEN YOU DON'T KNOW IF YOU KILLED HIM, YOU DOOFUS!
*"a vital information" ought to be "vital information". No "a"s or "an"s before "information".
*HAHAHA! Gunshot wound being the result of natural causes! Good quip.
*It's "some semblance" not "some resemblance".
*Let him talk, Apollo!
*Is Apollo the killer? I don't know why I'm thinking that, but... hmm...
*Although I'm not the biggest fan of this judge, I do like his "cool kids" line. It's true, ballistic markings are brought up a lot.
*Hahaha. Very funny.
*We just told you why you corrupt hoyden.
*Clever. He took the case to throw her in prison where she belongs.
*Do I even want to press here? ... ... Yes.
*Ooh, good "Gotcha!" it really fits. He might as well have had a face zoom in at that moment. Well done.
*"does has a point" ought to be "does have a point"
*Ah, so Athena is one of those jaded cynic-types, huh? :|
*Yup. She is. She's the worst of that ilk. The kind that doesn't believe in anything. I wonder if she was just born that way or if she had some psychological trauma in her past in this canon?
*WOOT! YEAH! Go Apollo! WOO-HOO! I'm rooting for you, pal!
*I breaking out into my local dialect here, fellas. This is so passionate. Even if it might be accused of taking the jaded psychology fanatic and making a strawman out of them, I don't care. It's so true what Apollo is saying here. Go Apollo!
*Miss drunk saves the day, I see?
*Knew it. One thing leads to another. They shouldn't have let that alcohol thing go.
*I strongly believe that it is wrong to kill someone in any situation. I understand self defence, but... unless we're talking about something 100% completely accidental and non-direct (and even then, I still wonder about that...), no. Murder is never the answer. Nope.
*God's there for you Apollo, if you'll open up your heart to him.
*Ah, the old "for want of a nail, the kingdom was lost" deal, huh? I agree.
*This is so true. It really is. Good spiel.
*She deserves to be put in prison. If she murdered someone, then she murdered them. The answer is not murder. It never is.
*Do I have to have the drunkard upstart as my council. I object to this, your honour. They are clearly not good counsel considering their behaviour.
*Is Mary Adair a pun on "murder" somehow? Not that mare-dare sounds like "murder" exactly, but... I don't know. It could be a hidden pun somehow.
And that's the end of Part 2. I'll do Part 3 later.

EDIT: Part 3 play-by-play:
*Let's do this!
*I'm ignoring her thoughts here because I shouldn't know them.
*"found it way into the room" ought to have "its" not "it"
*Blah blah blah sociopath speaking blah blah blah blah. Not paying attention.
*She creeps us all out, your honour.
*Oh don't do this to me now, Apollo. Don't go cynic on me now.
*Saying "Good Night" to a murder in that fashion is ridiculous.
*...Oh. Was that it?
*Uh... I'd give it a 2.5/5 I guess. Maybe a 3/5.
"Ne sorga, snotor guma; selre bið æghwæm þæt he his freond wrece, þonne he fela murne. Ure æghwylc sceal ende gebidan worolde lifes; wyrce se þe mote domes ær deaþe; þæt bið drihtguman unlifgendum æfter selest." – from Beowulf (c. 700-1000 A.D.), one of the earliest pieces of English literature
DoesBoKnow

Post by DoesBoKnow »

I have been loving the case so far. However, I've made the mistake of playing in V6 (just a personal preference), and for some reason, when you need to:
Spoiler : not a huge spoiler, mainly a bug report, but still :
examine the bombed courtroom, it just shows a black screen with nothing, and nothing I click works.
I do not know if this is a result of V6 instead of V5, I'm new to the AAO scene.

I think I'm going to look on this topic for strictly Chapter 2 spoilers so I don't have to wait for a solution, that was I can just start the Chapter 3 link and go from there.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

This is a v6 bug. So yes, I'm afraid you'll have to play this in v5 until that gets resolved.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson