PW: Contempt of Court - FULL GAME AVAILABLE NOW

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Cardiovore
Spoken languages: English

Re: PW: Contempt of Court - Case 3, Part 1... AVAILABLE!

Post by Cardiovore »

Response to Blackrune...
Spoiler : :
So far the case is pretty much Vulper from start to finish. Which seemed to actually kinda work out. It's just interesting to observe what he's become and how the past still has its effect on him. At times I forgot there was a case and thought of it more as a study of his character.
And to think that this case came about as a result of Tap wanting Vulper to make a comeback :P
Presentation-wise, wonderful. Good graphics as always. The pacing seemed rushed at first but it turned out to be focusing on the good parts. Fine by me.
I agree, some parts did seem sparce in retrospect. I struggled with dialogue quite a bit in this case I must admit.
The only really weird thing about the plot is yet another massive police failure. I mean, nobody saw Snow actually doing it. So the choice to arrest someone was between him and a serial killer whose fingerprints actually were on the weapon. Yet despite all this the police still thought going with Snow as the defendant makes sense. Even regular AA police wasn't that bad. It's like missing a hole in the floor and putting tape on it all over again. If there's one police force I've fully lost all hope in, it's the one in the Contempt of Court universe. That is all.
Snow being thought of by police as the defendant, even in the face of evidence against Vulper... Yeah it's screwy. But let's just say that it was, for the most part, intended.
Phoenix Wright: The Contempt of Court
FULL GAME AVAILABLE NOW
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Juuuuuuuuust finished off Part 1. It was great as usual. A few typos and whatnot, but mostly grammar-error free~

As for theorizing... Hmm... I'm still a bit suspicious of Cedric's death. I'm not convinced that Vulper was the one that did that one... Considering the method of the murder being so similar to the one from the postlude with Smith... It just stinks too much of something like "forced suicide".

Also, interesting that Terry Griesen chose a different name in the postlude...

Oh, but I think that for the testimony where Vex talks about having nothing to do with the wire in Trial pt. 1... Shouldn't the contradiction be on the statement about the wire, rather than the statement about having nothing to do with the murder?

But, I'm eager for the release of Part 2 to come out, and I'm interested in seeing what will happen next, Cardie~

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

Spoiler : OBJECTION *scapegoat spoilers* :
I have a bit of a problem with Snow's second testimony in the first flashback trial. You see, I tried presenting the shoeprints photo at the last statement about "He clearly fell backwards!" but was met with a penalty. I OBJECT to this.

You see, the detective claims that the victim was shoved backwards by the defendant, but this cannot be true! If the victim had fallen over the edge, there would've been more prints in the snow (or something like that) to signify the fall!

Secondly, there is a small print on the edge of the cliff - it sort of looks like fingers hanging off the edge of the cliff, don't you think? The only person proven to have gone over the cliff is the defendant himself, so...

HOW DID THE PRINTS GET THERE?!?!?!?11?!!

Lastly, if the victim had fallen over the edge of the cliff and had made marks, the marks on the edge of the cliff would've been destroyed! However, there are still no marks at the crime scene to signify anything like a backwards fall, and they couldn't have been covered up because of the weather report.

My conclusion: The crime scene is NOT the edge of Verglas Bridge, as there are too many contradictions in the marks left in the snow for it to work as a crime scene.
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Tap

Post by Tap »

Timeline wise, shouldn't Gant be the Chief of Police? If Vincenzo's Final Trial, and Renwick's First Investigation occurs five years prior to "Scapegoat" and the cases following it, Gant has been recently made Chief following SL-9, if you follow the timeline... :?
ImageImage
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Tap wrote:
Timeline wise, shouldn't Gant be the Chief of Police? If Vincenzo's Final Trial, and Renwick's First Investigation occurs five years prior to "Scapegoat" and the cases following it, Gant has been recently made Chief following SL-9, if you follow the timeline... :?
I think he called him chief but maybe it was just of the section at that time or something. I wondered the same thing, but thought it could be saved... if it wasn't for the fact he kinda has a badge similar to Gant in his sprites which is therefore apparently implied to be badge of the Chief of Police.

On another note, Schaden Freude is probably an even more than intended ridiculous name from a German point of view. Just letting you know. :P
Cardiovore

Post by Cardiovore »

Spoiler : kwando :
Juuuuuuuuust finished off Part 1. It was great as usual. A few typos and whatnot, but mostly grammar-error free~
Typos? I thought I flushed them all out -_- Noooooooo!
As for theorizing... Hmm... I'm still a bit suspicious of Cedric's death. I'm not convinced that Vulper was the one that did that one... Considering the method of the murder being so similar to the one from the postlude with Smith... It just stinks too much of something like "forced suicide".
Glad you made that connection between the murders of Maplethorpe and Chill :P But "forced suicide"? Wasn't expecting that xD
Oh, but I think that for the testimony where Vex talks about having nothing to do with the wire in Trial pt. 1... Shouldn't the contradiction be on the statement about the wire, rather than the statement about having nothing to do with the murder?
I thought about it, but it would've meant having to point out the location of the wire, something that didn't really lend itself to be repeated.
But, I'm eager for the release of Part 2 to come out, and I'm interested in seeing what will happen next, Cardie~
Thank you! :)
Spoiler : TwiGav :
Since Scapegoat was the first case I made (and that was years ago), I consider it to be really rough around the edges, looking back. Wasn't really taking it seriously back then. :S
Spoiler : Tap :
Nope. The flashback happened in 2014, while SL-9 happened in 2015. Gant was still a senior detective before then. But Freude does step down shortly after the flashback, leaving the position open for Gant. :P
Spoiler : Blackrune :
Someone told me that ages ago :P It was just a breakdown of the term schadenfreude.
FULL GAME AVAILABLE NOW
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Spoiler : kwando :
Cardiovore wrote:
Typos? I thought I flushed them all out -_- Noooooooo!
Yeah, there are a few things like the trial being held at 12:00 AM and things like that that I noticed.
Cardiovore wrote:
Glad you made that connection between the murders of Maplethorpe and Chill :P But "forced suicide"? Wasn't expecting that xD
I blame Rune for making me think that any suicide is a forced one now. >_>
Cardiovore wrote:
I thought about it, but it would've meant having to point out the location of the wire, something that didn't really lend itself to be repeated.
Well, it just seems a bit... awkward where it is now, since the contradiction itself is about the wire, and not about the murder... (Since he says "lol never touched the wire" and you can present evidence that he did...
Cardiovore wrote:
Thank you! :)
You're welcome~
Replies to replies.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I played this case a few days ago. (I can't believe that posting a response slipped my mind!)
I liked the game for the most part, but the second trial phase went majorly downhill for me. To be honest, that part alone made the game as a whole more frustrating than entertaining. The whole time, there was a single pressing question. It never had a good answer. The fact that there wasn't a good answer was only touched on at times, and most of the time, Phoenix thought that there was a perfectly valid answer. The question is: why is Snow on trial, and Brisbane not in a padded cell?! I think it would help to show my reactions over time.

Pre-Trial: The only thing pointing to Snow is that Maggey arrested him. Considering that there was proof of a scheme to kill Snow, Snow's prints weren't on the murder weapon, it's likely that this won't last long. (Although I am willing to bet that Vulper was framed by Aculeus somehow...)

During Testimony One: So far, so predictable...

During Testimony Two: Brisbane has gone completely and utterly insane. Smith confirmed that the wound matches the blade at the crime scene, and Brisbane accuses the first knife of Snow’s that he sees of being the murder weapon. He’s lost it.

Brisbane is bananas. So Snow found out that Docks planned to kill him for no reason in particular, planned to kill Docks first instead of arresting him like a normal officer, then he grabs a decorative knife, kills Docks with it, stabs Docks with a fake knife, plants Vulper’s prints on it, gets arrested and then teleports the stiletto to his office… Right…

Wait, Brisbane thinks he was caught in the act? Why in blazes did he not have the stiletto on him then?!

This isn’t even a frame-up. Brisbane has gone as insane as Vulper.

Brisbane: So obviously, the defendant carried a stiletto on him, despite this being physically impossible.
Judge: I only have one question… Why?
Brisbane: I don’t know. Why don’t you ask him?
Phoenix: ZOMG SNOW Y DID U DO DIS?!?!?!?!??!?!?!
Snow: I’ve been framed!
Enthalpy: DWaM has competition for title of the Banana King.

This isn’t even a discovery… This is the sort of wild mass-guessing and bluffing that Phoenix is accused of.

This dagger is more expected than the Spanish Inquisition. The Spanish Inquisiton’s weapons were fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope. Brisbane’s weapons are fear, surprise, ruthless inefficiency, and a fanatical devotion to winning.

We know that Snow can only afford instant noodles, and his appetite is as big as a whale’s. Therefore, there exist noodle packages with Snow’s fingerprints on them in his office. PERRY DOCKS WAS STABBED TO DEATH WITH A VERY THICK NOODLE!

Your Honor, he planted a seed of unreasonable doubt.

During Testimony Three: So, the prosecution never had ANYTHING on Snow?

You call that a testimony? Yes, you proved that the defendant was at the crime scene at the time of the crime and that he was panicked afterwards, none of which were in dispute. *clap*

Brisbane is insane if he still thinks this stiletto was relevant.

… Brisbane, are you completely and totally out of your mind?! Give me one thing, just one, that points to Snow’s guilt! Your murder weapon has been denied. Your witness has been denied. Everything that’s left is screaming, “Vulper is guilty or framed.”

During Testimony Four: Yes, more proof on Vulper. Because the court was so receptive to the last lot.

Why is there another testimony? Just why? Come to think of it, why does this testimony even exist? Why is this trial still going on?

During Testimony Five: … What suspicions?! There is no case against Snow! None, none, none!

During Testimony Six: Why is this testimony even admissible?

During Testimony Seven: Brisbane, you’re arguing in circles. Just because you theorize that the victim poisoned the coffee doesn’t make it so. Ugh... Let's end this.

During Testimony Eight: Finally, I can end this!

====================================================================================

I know this sounded harsh, but it would be a massive step in the right direction if Phoenix so much as acknowledged that none of this trial made any sense, as opposed to taking Brisbane seriously. Also, I love how the judge caught Brisbane off when he talked about how the atroquinine would had to have been planted, which was Brisbane's one valid point.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Cardiovore

Post by Cardiovore »

Enthalpy wrote:I played this case a few days ago. (I can't believe that posting a response slipped my mind!)
I liked the game for the most part, but the second trial phase went majorly downhill for me. To be honest, that part alone made the game as a whole more frustrating than entertaining. The whole time, there was a single pressing question. It never had a good answer. The fact that there wasn't a good answer was only touched on at times, and most of the time, Phoenix thought that there was a perfectly valid answer. The question is: why is Snow on trial, and Brisbane not in a padded cell?! I think it would help to show my reactions over time.

Pre-Trial: The only thing pointing to Snow is that Maggey arrested him. Considering that there was proof of a scheme to kill Snow, Snow's prints weren't on the murder weapon, it's likely that this won't last long. (Although I am willing to bet that Vulper was framed by Aculeus somehow...)

During Testimony One: So far, so predictable...

During Testimony Two: Brisbane has gone completely and utterly insane. Smith confirmed that the wound matches the blade at the crime scene, and Brisbane accuses the first knife of Snow’s that he sees of being the murder weapon. He’s lost it.

Brisbane is bananas. So Snow found out that Docks planned to kill him for no reason in particular, planned to kill Docks first instead of arresting him like a normal officer, then he grabs a decorative knife, kills Docks with it, stabs Docks with a fake knife, plants Vulper’s prints on it, gets arrested and then teleports the stiletto to his office… Right…

Wait, Brisbane thinks he was caught in the act? Why in blazes did he not have the stiletto on him then?!

This isn’t even a frame-up. Brisbane has gone as insane as Vulper.

Brisbane: So obviously, the defendant carried a stiletto on him, despite this being physically impossible.
Judge: I only have one question… Why?
Brisbane: I don’t know. Why don’t you ask him?
Phoenix: ZOMG SNOW Y DID U DO DIS?!?!?!?!??!?!?!
Snow: I’ve been framed!
Enthalpy: DWaM has competition for title of the Banana King.

This isn’t even a discovery… This is the sort of wild mass-guessing and bluffing that Phoenix is accused of.

This dagger is more expected than the Spanish Inquisition. The Spanish Inquisiton’s weapons were fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope. Brisbane’s weapons are fear, surprise, ruthless inefficiency, and a fanatical devotion to winning.

We know that Snow can only afford instant noodles, and his appetite is as big as a whale’s. Therefore, there exist noodle packages with Snow’s fingerprints on them in his office. PERRY DOCKS WAS STABBED TO DEATH WITH A VERY THICK NOODLE!

Your Honor, he planted a seed of unreasonable doubt.

During Testimony Three: So, the prosecution never had ANYTHING on Snow?

You call that a testimony? Yes, you proved that the defendant was at the crime scene at the time of the crime and that he was panicked afterwards, none of which were in dispute. *clap*

Brisbane is insane if he still thinks this stiletto was relevant.

… Brisbane, are you completely and totally out of your mind?! Give me one thing, just one, that points to Snow’s guilt! Your murder weapon has been denied. Your witness has been denied. Everything that’s left is screaming, “Vulper is guilty or framed.”

During Testimony Four: Yes, more proof on Vulper. Because the court was so receptive to the last lot.

Why is there another testimony? Just why? Come to think of it, why does this testimony even exist? Why is this trial still going on?

During Testimony Five: … What suspicions?! There is no case against Snow! None, none, none!

During Testimony Six: Why is this testimony even admissible?

During Testimony Seven: Brisbane, you’re arguing in circles. Just because you theorize that the victim poisoned the coffee doesn’t make it so. Ugh... Let's end this.

During Testimony Eight: Finally, I can end this!

====================================================================================

I know this sounded harsh, but it would be a massive step in the right direction if Phoenix so much as acknowledged that none of this trial made any sense, as opposed to taking Brisbane seriously. Also, I love how the judge caught Brisbane off when he talked about how the atroquinine would had to have been planted, which was Brisbane's one valid point.
Thanks for the comments. They ARE fair points and I can see what you mean, as the whole first part IS actually supposed to make little sense in terms of who's on trial and where the guilt is being thrown. Of course there's the excuses like "it's just a prologue to Part 2" and "it'll all be answered in Part 2" but I guess I should've made Phoenix more aware of the fact that the trial is a farce in Part 1. Come to think of it, I should've also made the judge comment on something else (that being the reason Snow was on suspicion for so long).
Brisbane is meant to have behaved the way he did though. He's now lost all reasoning and just wants to win.
To be perfectly honest, I found the trial parts really tough to try and pull off anyway. I felt as if I was going more for storytelling than gameplay with this case so far. There's nothing of Part 2 yet, but it's planned, and I hope I'll be able to tie everything together and ultimately pull off this confusing case.
FULL GAME AVAILABLE NOW
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

It came across perfectly clearly that Brisbane was having a fully intentional breakdown, but Phoenix seems to not recognize it, treating Brisbane's case as legitimate except for one mini-speech. The first solution I can think of is adding a few sarcastic remarks from Phoenix about it.

And best of luck in part two! For me, confusing cases tend to produce the best results when they're executed well, so I'll be looking forward to it. (I may even put together a "Vulper-was-framed" theory later, as I still deny that he committed either murder.)
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

@Thally
Gonna join me in thinking that Cedric's "murder" is actually a suicide? xD

Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

It seems we're fated to be on opposing sides of the mystery yet again.

The murder weapon gives it away, creating three different problems. The first is in attaining the wire. How would Cedric get a thing like that smuggled in? Vulper's playing cards prove that the jail cells aren't a perfect locked room, so to speak, but hurting someone with playing cards is near impossible, so guards would allow him that. But allowing Cedric garrote wire? Secondly is the murder of death. Suicide by incision almost always has pain reaction wounds. The hands flinch when it starts hurting, but Cedric's wounds only show a clean cut. Lastly, you have the forensic evidence of the wire. A suicide doesn't explain the lack of Maplethorpe's DNA, the presence of Vulper's or the location of the wire.

I could make another argument, but that is highly dependent on your theory of what happened inside interrogation. Specifically, who do you think killed Docks, and when do you think Snow's coffee was poisoned?
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Personally, my theory is something along these lines:
Cedric is forced into committing suicide. He asks Vulper to tie a wire down to his bars, and Vulper does so. Then, Vulper goes to sleep. Cedric kills himself because that's what evil organization whose name currently escapes me asks him to do. So, I guess you cooooooould say it's a murder (via forced suicide).

Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

Spoiler : Return Return of the TS Spoilers! :
Well really it's just a plea for help.

Anyway, I'm stuck at the one question in the flashback Part II where I have to present a way that Vulper could have known about the meeting between Brisbane and Crane.
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Cardiovore

Post by Cardiovore »

Spoiler : Enthalpy :
Thank you, I hope I do!
Spoiler : Both Enthalpy and Kwando :
Lol looks like you both share the same theory. That's... odd xD
Spoiler : TwiGav :
Present Brisbane's profile.
FULL GAME AVAILABLE NOW