Annoyed about something? RANT!

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Re: Annoyed about something? RANT!

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

so whats exactly the difference lind
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
energizerspark
Spoken languages: English

Post by energizerspark »

WHY AM I SO TERRIBLE AT EVERYTHING GAH
I didn't think it was possible for a human being to have zero talents whatsoever AND YET HERE WE ARE
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

You would think that people running a graduate school would at least be able to clearly explain the difference between the two kinds of statements they want, and that when somebody asks what the difference between the statements is, they could answer. Nope, apparently not.

EDIT: ...And upon submitting a form that you are only supposed to submit once, they neither say "form submitted" nor "form failed," just... a completely blank page. This is almost impressive.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Cortonith
Spoken languages:  

Post by Cortonith »

Nothing to get in Christmas. Though, everyone else in my area got their respective presents.
Currently on massive training. The only way to contact me for now is Discord.
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

I sure do love how getting accepted into my FILM PRODUCTION university course is entirely dependent on getting good grades in PHYSICS
an entirely unrelated subject that would not convince the university of my skills but is required anyway because of Grade Requirements
fun!
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
Cortonith
Spoken languages:  

Post by Cortonith »

Realizing my grave mistakes on case making. That is why people in the other forums do not care on my fanfics at all. Maybe someday I might make another topic in regards of case-making for some serious training.
Currently on massive training. The only way to contact me for now is Discord.
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

I'm slightly concerned that sixth form may actually be having negative effects on my mental health
I've developed a twitch in my right eye
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

It's time for break and there's no rest for me.
I have to work on a World Literature project (as soon as my group members get back to me).
I have to work on choreography for the upcoming talent show auditions.
I have to work of passing my written portion of the driver's exam.
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

you know what REALLY annoys me
when people knock on the door WHILE THEY'RE OPENING IT
DON'T DO THAT
knock, THEN open
IT'S COMMON COURTESY
KNOCKING WHILE YOU'RE ALREADY OPENING IT DEFEATS THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF KNOCKING
IT'S NOT LIKE I LITERALLY HAVE A SIGN ON MY DOOR THAT SAYS "KNOCK BEFORE ENTERING"
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Warning: Will probably get a bit political, though I'd say the quibble is more personal than political.
Spoiler : But if you still like keeping a wide berth, here's a spoiler for you so you can have time to decide if you don't want to read it :
So, a lot of us have probably heard about the shooting at the Republican charity baseball game today. It's awful. It's a tragedy. Every time a shooting happens I say that I hope it never happens again. Death is death, violence is violence; it sucks. It shouldn't happen. We've gotta do something, it's complicated, we can't agree, and so forth (I could rant about how our society just takes it in such stride now, but that's for another day).

Now, I'm a self-described revisionist Marxist and registered as a Democrat for voting purposes.

My dad (who is not a self-described revisionist Marxist registered as a Democrat) says to me that "Democrats need to get their people under control."

WHAT?

Because APPARENTLY all the Democrat rhetoric about how much they hate President Trump and wish he wasn't their president = they CAUSED this shooting!

NOT LIKE PLENTY OF REPUBLICANS HATED OBAMA AND WISHED HE WASN'T THEIR PRESIDENT.

NOT LIKE LITERALLY ALMOST EVERY FREAKING PARTY HAS BEEN CRAZY ANGRY ABOUT THE OPPOSITE PARTY'S PRESIDENT/POLITICAL FIGURES THROUGHOUT AMERICAN HISTORY!

NOT LIKE BOTH PARTIES HAVE PLENTY OF HATEFUL RHETORIC THEY SPEW!!

NOT LIKE PHRASING IT AS IF DEMOCRATS NEED TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER IS JUST MORE RHETORIC THAT REVEALS AN ALMOST XENOPHOBIC DISTASTE AND HATRED FOR THE PARTY THAT YOU'RE NOT A MEMBER OF

NOT LIKE YOU TRY TO GET AWAY WITH CLAIMING THAT YOU'RE AN INDEPENDENT LIKE THAT MAKES YOU SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE REST OF US BECAUSE YOU DON'T BUY INTO PARTISANSHIP, EVEN THOUGH YOU DO

I just... *sigh*

It's one thing to say there's a serious problem with the party's rhetoric. Because I would agree that there is. There's too much hate, too much bile; better to disagree professionally and bear that tremendous dislike than to so openly hate to such a serious degree, because the latter's alienating.

It's another thing entirely to say that this party's rhetoric - and only this party's rhetoric (as he said when I pressed him about it) - is literally and directly causing violence that the other party isn't contributing to in any way at all.
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Quick interjection, as somebody interested in the state of political discourse:
Spoiler : :
You know the conversation better than as I do, but as-is, I'm not sure what you two were talking about. Was it language that has caused violence or language that has the potential to cause violence? If the former, then to get anywhere with that claim, you'll need examples. If the latter, then to get anywhere, you'll need criteria on how one can tell whether language has the potential to produce violence. The conversation will probably get into the latter, anyways.

Good luck, if you try to continue this discussion. Battling pre-existing narratives in lieu of specifics is always tricky!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

Spoiler : Politics Cuz I'm Late and I Like Saying Things :
It is worth it to note that rhetoric and words DO have power over the actions of the masses. There is a reason why inciting violence/harassment/other Bad Things, while it is not directly violence, is an issue and is considered different from regular speech. We have these exceptions for a reason. That being said I do struggle to think of instances where left-wing rhetoric has actively encouraged people to go shooting a group of people. I know there's examples that aren't hard to pull up, but as someone who consumes news information about the same as any other citizen, I can name more examples on the Right than on the Left, currently.
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

I wish I had the drive to do anything
I just.. don't, anymore. Just sit here and do nothing
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Enthalpy wrote:Quick interjection, as somebody interested in the state of political discourse:
You know the conversation better than as I do, but as-is, I'm not sure what you two were talking about. Was it language that has caused violence or language that has the potential to cause violence? If the former, then to get anywhere with that claim, you'll need examples. If the latter, then to get anywhere, you'll need criteria on how one can tell whether language has the potential to produce violence. The conversation will probably get into the latter, anyways.

Good luck, if you try to continue this discussion. Battling pre-existing narratives in lieu of specifics is always tricky!
Spoiler : More spoilers, in case you want to avoid politics :
I think we were talking about language that has caused violence. My dad's claim was that the rhetoric of the Democratic party is the thing which incited the violence. 'Course, like you said, to figure out how that claim stands requires discussing what kind of language it is that has the potential to cause violence.
Thanks for the well wishes on the discussion front. There hasn't really been any progress, but I can hope, I suppose.
Dave wrote:
Spoiler : Politics Cuz I'm Late and I Like Saying Things :
It is worth it to note that rhetoric and words DO have power over the actions of the masses. There is a reason why inciting violence/harassment/other Bad Things, while it is not directly violence, is an issue and is considered different from regular speech. We have these exceptions for a reason. That being said I do struggle to think of instances where left-wing rhetoric has actively encouraged people to go shooting a group of people. I know there's examples that aren't hard to pull up, but as someone who consumes news information about the same as any other citizen, I can name more examples on the Right than on the Left, currently.
Yeah, rhetoric definitely can drive action; I won't argue that. But like you said, I didn't feel like the left had any recent big example of that kind of language and discourse. There's definitely a lot of acrimony, but that doesn't necessarily equate to inciting violence.
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
123fendas
Spoken languages: Svenska, English

Post by 123fendas »

My face is painfully dry.