Zeta's Quest for NaNoWriMo (Updated 11/13)

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

ZetaAzuel
Spoken languages: English

Zeta's Quest for NaNoWriMo (Updated 11/13)

Post by ZetaAzuel »

This is my quest to create a novel (a bad one possibly, but I'm going to try anyway dangit!) with 50000 words before the end of November! Here, I'm going to post down what I've got, hear suggestions(most of which I expect to be either bashing at my typos, or maybe just bad writing... bleh...), make edits based on those suggestions, or maybe just get some ideas on where to go next. It's also nice to see what you guys think of what's going on so far. Anyway, not saying I'm a literary genius or anything, but I figured I might as well let my creative outlet be in the form of a story (better than anything else I've done.)

And with that, I'll post what I have so far. I changed the Title to "Hero's Adventure?"
Spoiler : Hero's Adventure? :
Last edited by ZetaAzuel on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
Hersh is officially the best for making this awesome Rogan and Parseline Sig!
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Voodoo the Wobbufett Lv. 14
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio
~~Proud Son of Dypo deLina and Evolina deLuna~~
ShadowEdgeworth

Re: Zeta's Quest for NaNoWriMo

Post by ShadowEdgeworth »

GO ON MY FRIEND

MAKE YOURSELF PROUD

:D

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Winner of the Golden Star Award 2010!
Creator of Commander Mika Cadenza and Admiral Kathryn Jayneway in Endless Time!
Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Currently RPing as Spider-Man and Black Cat in Crossover Central!
Creator of Alexis Calika in Vermillion Sunset and Alex Tazian in Final Warfare!
ZetaAzuel

Re: Zeta's Quest for NaNoWriMo (Update 11/5)

Post by ZetaAzuel »

Coulda sworn that Grimm made a post about Chloplants and stuff like that... I can't remember the specifics but I'll try and answer them.

1. I believe was what was the purpose...

My purpose is to get my ideas that I want to use for games and make them into stories. That way I can flesh them out, and eventually use them in the future if I ever do create games or something.

2. Chlorplants are simply plants that have conscious thought, they can move around talk, do that kind of thing pretty much whatever a human can but a plant can do better. A Chloromancer is simply a mage trained in the use of plants, much like a necromancer is a mage of the dead.

I think there was more but I forgot...

Anyway, I added about 3k words today. So feel free to read and see if you like where this is heading.

Edit: I also remebmered you wanted to know my target audiance, which I would have to say is probably young adults intersted in the fantasy genre. Though most of this novel is going to be characters who are aware in a sense of what we think of as video games, or natural fantasy encoutners, things like that.
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio
~~Proud Son of Dypo deLina and Evolina deLuna~~
Rtaos Grimm

Re: Zeta's Quest for NaNoWriMo (Update 11/6)

Post by Rtaos Grimm »

Alright, my reply is a bit late. So far I have one suggestion:

Because you are using a new race with lots of varieties/species (watermelons, sunflowers etc) I would recommend an introduction to the Chlorplant race as the first thing the reader sees. Obviously not all books start with these but in this case yours would benefit. This is because of the amount of questions I ask myself when reading yours:
"What is a chlorplant? Who's this? Pumpkin head? Where are we? What is a chlorplant? What's the origin of chlorplants? Watermelons? Sunflowers? How do they hold stuff?"

Every story has similar questions but the most frequent people will ask is: "What is a chlorplant?" Not everyone knows chlorplants so that question will be asked until it is answered. I say that question should be answered at the start so the reader will know what to expect. Now, the way I suggest you present this introduction of chlorplants is via something that resembles a botanist's academic report. I'll give you an example template:

Title for Introduction: "The Anatomy and Origin of Chlorplants"
"Information about Origin"
"Information about Anatomy"
"Information about Social Structure"
"Detail a couple of common varieties"
Signed By: "Well-Known Human Botanist of Botanist Research Institute of Interesting Place"

This doesn't necessarily have to be long, a couple of pages at the most and not all information has to be covered. By structuring it as a academic report, it will hold the reader's interest more than something that says: "Introduction." The more basic questions (Who? What? Where? Why? How?) answered at the start of the story, the less confused the reader will feel. Too much confusion is not good in a story. If they know what chlorplants are and have a basic idea of how they function then they'll follow the story.

That's my suggestion, what do you think?

Bullet Tooth Tony: "Boris the Blade?
Solomon: "Yeah."
Bullet Tooth Tony: "As in Boris the Question Dodger?"
Solomon: *nods head*
Cousin Avi: "Why do they call him the Question Dodger?"
*pause*
Bullet Tooth Tony: "Because he dodges questions, Avi."

Adapted from the film "Snatch"
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

I haven't read this yet, but that strikes me as a bad idea. "Show, don't tell" is a rule of thumb in my book. The best way to introduce readers to a new concept isn't by giving them a thorough explanation on it, it's by just swooping them into the world and sprinkling in information/implications as the story goes along.

...of course, I don't know how good Zeta's doing on that point, but yeah.
Rtaos Grimm

Post by Rtaos Grimm »

"Swooping" can be a bad idea as well if done incorrectly. In this situation we're thrown straight into the viewpoint of a chlorplant, not a human. There's no gradual reveal that there's a new concept and "something not human" in this world, it's shown immediately. Then we're shown more and more chlorplants as the story goes on, to the point that some people may say: "Woah, back up, what's this?" Too much information, not enough explanation?

I don't condone doing this in every story, but when the situation seems to need it.

EDIT: One point I didn't mention, many decide if a story is worth reading from examining the start. It all depends on the person and how they view the beginning.
Last edited by Rtaos Grimm on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bullet Tooth Tony: "Boris the Blade?
Solomon: "Yeah."
Bullet Tooth Tony: "As in Boris the Question Dodger?"
Solomon: *nods head*
Cousin Avi: "Why do they call him the Question Dodger?"
*pause*
Bullet Tooth Tony: "Because he dodges questions, Avi."

Adapted from the film "Snatch"
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

Either way, that sounds more like something that should be fixed up in a way where the reader gets gradually introduced over the progression of the story.
ZetaAzuel

Post by ZetaAzuel »

Sorry for the late update, I've been writing on pace for the last few days. So I guess I ought to make a few replies.

The Chlroplant issue isn't that big to be honest, mainly because the story isn't going to revolve entirely around them, they're more of a spot that I hop to and from, which I plan to do. By the, simple descriptions ought to do, and whirl has been telling me to "show more" than tell. So with his aid I think I'll get out of that habit. Though I do admit, the initial setting could probably use some explaining.

That all aside, I decided it would be better to post the link to my story through a google docs link. You are free to comment if you want.
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio