The Music Topic

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

The Music Topic

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Music is a nice, broad subject... at the very least, I can't think of any reason why we SHOULDN'T have one. Sure, we have the ToR, but less clutter would be nice, and I can see a lot of discussion coming from this, so... I'm saying I can't see the harm on this topic, is all I mean.

Anyway... talk about music. All types. Old songs, new songs, rock songs, pop songs, rap songs, songs you like, songs you hate, anything you want. Keeping it nice and broad here to allow for the most discussion. Which is why I think this topic is a good idea, because there's a lot of discussion to be had on music.

So... onto the thought that provoked me to make this topic... will.i.am and The Black Eyed Peas are the butt of many jokes today (And for good reason, if I may be so kind to add), but the thing that strikes me as funny and noteworthy is that a lot of their earlier stuff is actually tolerable... good, even, compared to the stupid nonsense they make today. I'll ADMIT I can only cite two songs as reference to this point (Let's Get it Started and Glamorous by Fergie) but I would say that's more than enough to prove they CAN be good when they WANT to be. And that it's kinda sad that so many people think they're total rubbish (But they'd be totally justified in thinking that) when they can write good songs, but... they just don't try. I think there's more than enough evidence to back that up as well: Imma Be. Yeaaahhhh.

What's my point here? No idea. I just wound up digging up their earlier stuff out of sheer boredom, I actually kind of like it, and all I can say is... what happened?
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Koda
Spoken languages: English

Re: The Music Topic

Post by Koda »

Albums I've been listening to lately:
of Montreal - The Gay Parade (I have a soft spot for eclectic music)
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (classic album)
Death Grips - Government Plates (Birds is really good!)
The Receiving End of Sirens - Between the Heart and the Synapse (so you CAN have a band with 3 guitarists)
Fugazi - The Argument (dunno why I didn't start getting into them earlier...)

Favourite genres: psychedelic, experimental-rock, post-rock, normally would have said indie but I feel like indie music is starting to go towards a pretty bad spot (not saying that there aren't good indie rocks bands anymore, but the term has kind of lost its meaning, at least for me)
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

I actually used to be quite a big fan of BEP. Not so much nowadays, though not all of their new stuff is bad. But yeah, old BEP was pretty good.

And I, um... haven't been listening to much as of late. Nudal showed me Between the Heart and the Synapse and that was probably the latest thing (and I loved it). Favorite bands are Rise Against, The Dear Hunter, Alter Bridge, and Silversun Pickups. Draw what you will from that, though I have no real preferred genres. I feel like Dear Hunter is the most obscure out of those, so I'll say something that might interest some of ya -- they have an album line that follows a narrative (doesn't really "start" until the third song). Damn near the whole thing is fantastic, but Act II is one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. Highly recommended.
Koda

Post by Koda »

Gumpei wrote:I feel like Dear Hunter is the most obscure out of those, so I'll say something that might interest some of ya -- they have an album line that follows a narrative (doesn't really "start" until the third song). Damn near the whole thing is fantastic, but Act II is one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. Highly recommended.
I agree - one of my favourite albums of all time as well. :)

Speaking of, favourite albums for me would have to be Sgt. Pepper's (The Beatles), Funeral (Arcade Fire), In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (Neutral Milk Hotel), OK Computer (Radiohead), Act II (Dear Hunter). Keep in mind my "favourite" albums do not correspond what I believe to be the "best" albums.
$Fth

Post by $Fth »

I'd have to say my favorite bands are Seether, Green Day, System of a Down, Gorillaz, and Mindless Self Indulgence.

I've mostly just been listening to the Gorillaz Singles CD in my car on the way to and from work since it has most of their best work grouped up. If I'm not listening to a CD, I typically just let Spotify run on shuffle and listen to whatever pops up.
And all the carries and junglers will look up and shout "Save us!" and I'll whisper...
"MORDE ES NUMERO UNO HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE"
Bad Player wrote:In comparison, you put objects in bags.
Just call me Ike.
Holhol

Post by Holhol »

Koda wrote:
Gumpei wrote:I feel like Dear Hunter is the most obscure out of those, so I'll say something that might interest some of ya -- they have an album line that follows a narrative (doesn't really "start" until the third song). Damn near the whole thing is fantastic, but Act II is one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. Highly recommended.
I agree - one of my favourite albums of all time as well. :)
uuuuuuuuuuuugh yeah I just really wanna stress how phenomenal Act II - and really all three of the albums - is. It's def worth a listen through if you ever get a chance.

In any case, some of my favorite bands include Neutral Milk Hotel, Bon Iver, Arcade Fire, Cage the Elephant, and Of Monsters and Men. My favorite albums are In an Aeroplane Over the Sea (Neutral Milk Hotel), Discovery (Daft Punk), Back to Black (Amy Winehouse), For Emma, Forever Ago (Bon Iver), Funeral (Arcade Fire), and The Covers Record (Cat Power).
~Danielinhoni is the bestest friend anybody could ask for~

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

TKinhonipei is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Liquid Snake wrote:Snake, did you like my sunglasses?
Naminé
Spoken languages: English, Tagalog

Post by Naminé »

I simply cannot stop listening to the band Eisley, their music is just too good.

'Real World', one of their hit songs has been on replay for a while! :)
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

I've at least sampled a bit of most genres but most of my favourite genres centre around punk - post-punk, post-hardcore, grunge, new wave, etc.

Some of my favourite bands/artists are Tom Waits, Hüsker Dü, Mr. Bungle, Pixies, Sonic Youth, and Metallica.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Rap/hiphop/pop/any genre that relies a bunch on electronic music gets too much hate. Separate the artist and person, and separate them from the song.

Theres also nothing wrong a band or group changing direction with their music and being crestive/trying out something new. Perfect example is black eyed peas. I personally didnt dig much of their earlier works, but fell in love with the direction they took with the E.N.D album. That album pretty much started the trend of fusing more electronic synthy elements into many songs today, which is a cue from taken from club music. Incorporating pop/electro elements fused in something great imo.

Pop today gets hate...but, the idea of pop, especially during the summer, is "fun" songs thats catchy nowadays. It's not necessarily meant to be complex (like in the days of jackson), and gets the label of being "dumb" music now, along with rap.

With rap, especiailly mainstream rap, you tend to hear more of the same lyrics expressed in different ways (which is all "showboating"), but the actual instrumentals and production is top tier and high quality...You can hear a bunch of new unique type of beat going on more in the rap genre than most others today (whether its the dreamy drake, or the crunk vibe by lil jon, or even the trap "hype music" thats waka flocka). Its amazing the kind of progress/evolution/shifts rap/hip-hop in general has seen since its inception.

I like all kinds of music genres, even country. Im sure when you can weed the good and the bad out (especiailly annoying vocals), youd have more appreciation if the songs themselves.

As a matter of fact, "real"/movie tracks inspires musical direction for me as much as videogame music does, so theres that.
Koda

Post by Koda »

I agree, really dislike it when people write off an entire genre just because there is an aspect of it they don't like (I'm rather a hypocrite though... Still have not been able to get into any screamo or country)
TKinhonipei
Spoken languages: asdfjkl;

Post by TKinhonipei »

I'm a sucker for pop (This statement sounds hilarious); I'm also a fan of Bruno Mars and his pop songs. Especially 'Treasure', gets me every time!
Gumpei is so awesome for being everything that I've always wished for. <3
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

Holhol is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BBblader© wrote:The strongest bonds you can make are the ones you aren't looking for, the ones that surprise you. I'm speaking from experience, so I believe in that pretty strongly. Think that's why so many relationships fail, because people wind up forcing themselves to find good in the other person, play up who they are to appear more attractive to them... but well... real love is being yourself, with someone who cares about you and accepts you for who you are.
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

I don't instantly hate a song because it's country but it's just a genre I don't enjoy most of the time.

Also yeah, Bruno Mars, completely forgot about him, probably my favorite artist of this generation. Todd in the Shadows hates him (And Todd inspired me to make this topic :P) But I can't get enough of the guy.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

I like Vocaloid and video game music for the most part, to be honest. Current notable stuff on the radio for me are stuff like Macklemore's Thrift Shop and Can't Hold Us, and Imagine Dragons' Radioactive. For the most part, though, I'm just sorta stuck in my bubble of preferring dorky music. xP
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

I'm secretly an old man and listen to classical, jazz, and easy listening. Wahoo me. Oh, and video game music as well. Listen to that a good deal of time.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Koda

Post by Koda »

70s jazz fusion is amazing though, guessing you've heard [Censored. Please be polite] Brew right?