Community Announcement: Member of the Month

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Phantom

Re: Community Announcement: Member of the Month

Post by Phantom »

Tap wrote: I have high hopes in the interest being revived as Dave and kwando are much better placed to interview members unlike Meph and I am. Member of the Month was built on community contributions, and we measured those contributions for a very long time through trial development in 'Your Trials', or art success in the 'Your Art' forums. I've said it before - I can count on one hand the amount of times I've talked to a number of active members -- DeeYo, Dave, kwando and so forth. Some members move in different circles on the forums. I rarely visit the Xat, and I haven't been in a Forum RP for a number of years, so a changeover is maybe what it needs... :)

:?

I have always heard/been told it was never built/based through community contributions. If it was solely that, there would be members that have gotten MoTM that shouldn't have gotten it ever.

It would've been better if there were some actual guidelines in list format to know if you can qualify to even have a chance at MoTM. Who's going to be interested in something they believe they'll never probably have a chance to get into? There looked to be a bunch of members in that person of interest thread that I don't recall ever really posting much, if at all when these motm threads came out.

Either way, I don't trust any "unofficial" person to try to revive MoTM, especially so soon. I'm going to predict that it'll end up devolving into a popularity contest. Sure you want to get to know people better and it would be cool to give them recognition, but at least I could trust Tap, or at least was given the impression by him, that he could give EVERYBODY a shot at MoTM, and not simply for contributions, or even popularity/relevance for that matter. Narokh, who's an underrated author, and a guy that rarely gets attention and doesn't ask for much in return, finally got his shot of being MoTM after all these years since he was a quietly participating member of AAO, even if his "relevance" faded into obscurity (which just sounds like you're saying he lost popularity, which I doubt is true to begin with...even though you're saying it doesn't matter...).

I knew for a fact when Meph ran things, I personally would never have gotten MotM status, because he only tended to choose the "safe" people, the most popular people around (at the time). At least that's the impression I always got. I expect the same with this unofficial hosting, especially with this whole buddy-buddy culture going on here nowadays it seems like.

That's just all my opinion. I don't flat out reject reviving this unofficially, since it would be a nice change of pace to see what new blood can do to make the motm interesting again, I just think MoTM will become worse off now. I hope I can be proven wrong on this (assuming there isn't anyone that's going to try to "inflate" views/interest artificially now)
Remilia Scarlet
Spoken languages: English

Post by Remilia Scarlet »

Tap wrote:I've said it before - I can count on one hand the amount of times I've talked to a number of active members -- DeeYo, Dave, kwando and so forth. Some members move in different circles on the forums. I rarely visit the Xat, and I haven't been in a Forum RP for a number of years, so a changeover is maybe what it needs... :)
You know, this might be a good point. If the choices for MotM are only decided by one person and that person doesn't have a clear idea of who all the active members are, perhaps it's best for people more knowledgeable about the userbase to take the reigns after all. I prefer that idea to just letting it die.
Wolf Speaker
Spoken languages: English, French, Chinese

Post by Wolf Speaker »

Proton wrote:
Tap wrote: I have high hopes in the interest being revived as Dave and kwando are much better placed to interview members unlike Meph and I am. Member of the Month was built on community contributions, and we measured those contributions for a very long time through trial development in 'Your Trials', or art success in the 'Your Art' forums. I've said it before - I can count on one hand the amount of times I've talked to a number of active members -- DeeYo, Dave, kwando and so forth. Some members move in different circles on the forums. I rarely visit the Xat, and I haven't been in a Forum RP for a number of years, so a changeover is maybe what it needs... :)

:?

I have always heard/been told it was never built/based through community contributions. If it was solely that, there would be members that have gotten MoTM that shouldn't have gotten it ever.

It would've been better if there were some actual guidelines in list format to know if you can qualify to even have a chance at MoTM. Who's going to be interested in something they believe they'll never probably have a chance to get into? There looked to be a bunch of members in that person of interest thread that I don't recall ever really posting much, if at all when these motm threads came out.

Either way, I don't trust any "unofficial" person to try to revive MoTM, especially so soon. I'm going to predict that it'll end up devolving into a popularity contest. Sure you want to get to know people better and it would be cool to give them recognition, but at least I could trust Tap, or at least was given the impression by him, that he could give EVERYBODY a shot at MoTM, and not simply for contributions, or even popularity/relevance for that matter. Narokh, who's an underrated author, and a guy that rarely gets attention and doesn't ask for much in return, finally got his shot of being MoTM after all these years since he was a quietly participating member of AAO, even if his "relevance" faded into obscurity (which just sounds like you're saying he lost popularity, which I doubt is true to begin with...even though you're saying it doesn't matter...).

I knew for a fact when Meph ran things, I personally would never have gotten MotM status, because he only tended to choose the "safe" people, the most popular people around (at the time). At least that's the impression I always got. I expect the same with this unofficial hosting, especially with this whole buddy-buddy culture going on here nowadays it seems like.

That's just all my opinion. I don't flat out reject reviving this unofficially, since it would be a nice change of pace to see what new blood can do to make the motm interesting again, I just think MoTM will become worse off now. I hope I can be proven wrong on this (assuming there isn't anyone that's going to try to "inflate" views/interest artificially now)
If you find that things were biased during a mod's time, why would an unofficial version bother you?
Shuìlián - Lv.9
Adaptability

- Helping Hand
- Growl
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Sand-Attack
- Baby-Doll Eyes

Mr. Darcy - Lv.8
Pick Up

- Odor Sleuth
- Tackle
- Growl
- Defense Curl
- Flail

Allistair - Lv.9
- Tackle
- Dragon Rage
- Focus Energy
- Bite
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Because if you're intending to have this thing rebooted, it better be all-encompassing of everybody that is an active member of this site. If you have the same mentality of kwando over there on how motm should be run, then you're going to exclude a large section of members that aren't in your little roleplaying/xat group. I've already explained why I'm not too keen on the idea of an unofficial version, and it has nothing to do with the talk about viewership declining and all that jazz. But just so we're clear, I don't reject the idea completely.

But I don't think that's a desirable way of reviving this. You don't want to devolve something like this to a popularity contest, which is something I felt like Tap was avoiding during his tenure, even with his disadvantage of not being too knowledgeable of all the active members participating in certain sections of the site (that he admitted he rarely visits). It would be beneficial to have someone more knowledgeable of members of this site yes, but whoever's hosting the unofficial one should be careful to not be prone to selection bias choosing motms from a small pool of members. I'd be bothered because (relatively) unknown, or even new members, may no longer get the chance to have a shot at this new motm...especially if they're folks, who again, aren't part of your roleplaying/xat group.

------------------------
If you want to talk about interest declining or any of that, just understand that it's not the motm's job to drive up viewership by finding ways to encourage people to post. Motm is meant to recognize a member here for that month, that's it.
It's the rest of the community's inclination to grow content in those Motm threads. If interest has declined overtime, then I would say the community has grown burnt out, or even apathetic, to the process (or to the member that was chosen as Motm for w/e month).
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

My thought process is completely different from Kwando's, I chose who I know has made large contributions to the community.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

If you're going to tie it up to contributions (which Meph rejected doing, and I remember Tap avoiding that), that's actually a VERY less controversial idea for a guideline to qualify for Motm. It would provide incentive for people to participate and help the community grow in the long-term.

Hopefully you don't stick to picking the "loudest" contributor though ;P
Tap

Post by Tap »

Just to be clear -- I measured 'community contributions' probably differently from Meph. My measurement of 'community contributions' looked at the member's interactions with the community, and what they provided or contributed to said community by being a member here. Although I will admit to a certain bias that Meph and I shared that Member of the Months mainly came from Trial Developers, as they provided the biggest 'member contributions'. That's hard to stick to, now that the 'active/non-picked'' forum members aren't engaged in trial developing, but rather forum role playing and xat.
ImageImage
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

*cough*

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Dave wrote:My thought process is completely different from Kwando's, I chose who I know has made large contributions to the community.
I do think it is a legitimate question exactly how you define "large contributions to the community" though. Are we talking people who have produced trials, given that in name that's what AAO is about? If so, then there are a laundry list of people that are either excluded by necessity or are likely to be excluded that are active, prolific members. Are we talking any physical contribution, be it trials, art, or spritework? That opens the doors a lot, but if you're going to make it that loose, then why not include things like regular activity, participation within the community, etc? But if you do that, then the amount of people that could be MOTM is so large that you could argue that it stops being all that meaningful; because you've turned "large contributions to the community" into "is an active part of the community" which is an important distinction.

I'm not saying that I think you hosting is a bad idea or that I'm down on this revival at all (I'm really not), but without elaboration "large contribution" is a really vague benchmark which unless it has strict filters will become so open that it really means nothing at all.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

Well, NN. Seems we'll be playing the question game here too!

You've got the right idea, which is asking about HOW I'll gauge this. But let's think, gauging by active-ness in the community is indeed making the list extremely big and hard to look at without being like "What".

What we need to think about is a mixture of the two. Activity helps bring in a slight sense of familiarity. With activity, comes the possible want to KNOW more about that person, since they're a person you can actually interact with. But simple activity doesn't cut it, as we all figured. That'd cut the point of interviewing significant members of the community.

So, we need to look at contributions. As we all know, trial making hasn't exactly been big this past 2013, with a small amount of actual trials being made. We can barely even work with just that anymore, which is a shame, but you make due with what you have, don't you? Simply making yourself a big name in the community might be something to think about, that seems to make it into a sort of popularity contest, and I've been arguing against popularity since the beginning, so I won't go with simply that.

Spriters like LP and Lind have made their name in the MotM, but they were also part of separate things, like trial making and RPing. Perhaps simply gauging their contributions by how much they've put into the community would be what I would go for. But there's been previous MotMs who haven't put that much into the community, as opposed to just having a large presence.

I suppose what I mean to say is, I have no idea how I'll gauge it. There's way too many factors to consider when choosing members. But, with the person I chose, I just went: They deserve to be recognized.

Perhaps I was wrong to say how I worded it before, but I honestly wasn't in the mood to elaborate, rough last few days and all.

Basically, I don't know, but going by any factor in terms of contributions simply adds a bias that I can't just put into this, my pride wouldn't allow it.

So maybe I'll choose RPers, trial makers, Spriters, artists, or just in general fun people who make AAO's community what it is today. But i'm not going to limit myself by thinking about conditions I have to put down.

That's it really.
Remilia Scarlet

Post by Remilia Scarlet »

I think that would be best. Everyone contributes in their own way and it wouldn't be fair to exclude anyone not fitting certain conditions.
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

Right now, my mental state is keeping me from being able to do the interview, I can't get myself up enough to do it.

Sorry, there'll be delay for now, but I can't really get myself to do it. But don't worry, we already have a chunk of the interview done.
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

Double post but:

I really doubt I could manage to do the MotM with the current mental state i'm in. I know I can do it, but my emotions keep getting in the way.

I'm not dropping the project, but I'll be postponing it to next month to give myself some time to de-stress and cool down.

However, if one of the others (Kwando or Enigma) want to handle this interview, they're free to do it this month, and then hand it back to me when I'm ready to actually do this.

Sorry for disappointing everyone, again.
Tap

Post by Tap »

One of the initiatives I took as host was to conduct interviews via real-time collaborative documents, or in other words, PiratePad. I left a series of questions, and that meant I didn't need to be there for the interviewee to answer them.
ImageImage
Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

If I recall, Dave said PiratePad was being really iffy for him and the interviewee, so I'm assuming they were going to try an alternative.
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.