Ace Everything Else Online

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Gamer2002

Ace Everything Else Online

Post by Gamer2002 »

Humbly presenting a competition by
Gamer2002

& enigma (I guess...)
Because this is an Ace Attorney Site in name only!

Times have changed on AAO. No longer is this just a site for making fangames! Having tools and creativity, you can make absolutely anything. Anything at all! Over the past few years, we've seen fangames of different franchises, games where you take on other roles in the court, miscellaneous games like RPG's... It's becoming abundantly clear, that Phoenix Wright has become so last season. Hear that, Nick? You're old hat! Get off the stage, old man!

In any case, in these changing times, Ace Attorney Fangames aren't the only things you can produce... So why not have a competition about creating anything and everything else?

Task:
Create something that isn’t an Ace Attorney case. Whatever you create, it's fine as long as it's clearly NOT an Ace Attorney case. You can distinguish your creation from normal AA cases by:
• Being an AA Investigation case! I don't know how you'd make people walk but... Hey, it's a challenge!
• Having no criminal, but making a civil case. Ace Arbitrator? Ace Divorce Lawyer?
• Making something that plays like an AA case, but has an entirely different premise. Like Socrates Jones.
• Entirely different universe (stress on “entirely different”, not just regular AU with canon characters being slightly different). I mean, creating a universe isn't hard, is it?
• Significantly different court rules. Maybe a world which follows actual REAL law for once?
• Having the playable character be somebody else than a defense attorney. So, say, the witness or the killer or the prosecutor or the judge or Charley...
• Different gameplay mechanics. Like, say, Pong. Make pong. Pong is a good game. I mean, it'd still need a story... But Pong.
• Having no mystery at all. You know, like one of those dating sims....
• Creating something based on a different game. Like Katamari Damacy. stop, enigma
• Creating something in a different game genre. Like Katamari Damacy. I've said stop, enigma
• Creating something completely new and original. Like Katamari Da- Okay, fine. Just make something we've never seen before.

Simply having an OC be the protagonist is no good! You need to make this clearly, and inarguably, distinct from the Ace Attorney franchise. (Well, at least the main games/series.)

The purpose of this comp is encouraging your creativity, so be as creative as possible! We know that among you are many creators that are more talented or skilled than us (for now). And we know that you all can go far beyond the boundaries and limits of Ace Attorney. Yes, we all love this series... Except Dual Destinies Well, I didn't play it yet - 2002. But, the rest of the games were pretty great. Still, why limit yourself? Why not create something that has never been seen before? A 100% unique idea, even? The tools are at your disposal.

And who knows, maybe you'll create something you can one day remake and sell? Maybe you might create the gaming worlds next big hit?! And it'll all start here. On humble little AAO.

The entries will be judged in following categories, listed by their importance:
Creativity: How much you distinguish your entry from an AA case, how many own ideas you have, and how good they are.
Story: How good is your story? Is it well paced? Interesting? Engaging?
Presentation of ideas: Different from regular presentation. You can have the most brilliant idea for own setting, but if isn't significant beyond couple of frames, it isn't significant at all. And if you are creating your own gameplay, you have to properly introduce it to the player.
Presentation: Regular presentation, which means everything regarding graphics, story presentation, proper writing, lack of bugs…

General advice is to focus more on making an unique than long entry, especially if you want to create new gameplay. You are not required to submit a complete entry, all that matters are all the ideas you already have.

Conditions:
• The entry must be created between September 16th and December 16th
• The entry must not be showcased until after the judges confirm they have played the entry in question
• The entry must be distinguish from Ace Attorney cases in a significant way
• The entry may spoil any Ace Attorney game released in English at the time of this writing
• The entry may be a comedy/miscellaneous case
• Complete entries are not required
• The entry must be sent to both Gamer2002 and enigma
• The entry must be sent altogether with a walkthrough. The minimum walkthrough has to give a solution to everything that may severely impede players progress.

Deadline
All entries must be declared and submitted to Gamer and enigma by December 16th, 2015 at 11:59 PM CET

Entrants
Image (Reecer6)
Image (Calvinball)
Image (VonKarmaPride)
Image (Gav)
ImageImage (Kwando1313, NihilisticNinja)
Image(Trialdude)
ImageImage(Topaz, Hesseldahl)
Image (Tiagofvarela)
Image (Acid Rain)
Image(TheAlmightyKojak)
ImageImage (Hershel_Layton and DWaM)
Image (TKinhonipei)
Image (AceAttorneyMaster111)

Dropouts
Image (SS Sleuth - Possessed by a world ending entity)
Image (DLA - Baked Into A Cake)
Image (Arivenzys - Executed for his Crimes)
Image (Dave - Realized the corrupted nature within himself, and embraced it.... Is this what he always looked like?)
Image (SwagmaWampyr - Died the way he lived... Tsundere for Athena Cykes.)
Image (The Doctor -EXTERMINATED)
Image (Spyromed - Game Over)
Image (Lind - This truly is the darkest timeline...)
Image (therealpheonixwright)
Image (Blackrune)
Image (Order of the Nick)
Last edited by Gamer2002 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:28 am, edited 25 times in total.
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Re: Ace Everything Else Online

Post by Kroki »

Time to release my platformer.
ImageImage Image Image Image
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Assuming you weren't making a joke, I'd be very excited to see/play a platformer on AAO.

Also, yes. I am a co-host/judge. Hello. Please make all your HiguMadoka fangames, thanks.
Ferdielance
Spoken languages: English

Post by Ferdielance »

This theme. It was maaade for me. And yet I don't really have the time at all to do this... Rrgh.

And reusing the line-of-sight/mapping code from Endless Nine to do a dungeon crawler almost seems like cheating, since I spent a long time dealing with the hardest part of that project already! Of course, this wouldn't be limited to 9 frames, but keeping the frame count low for a labyrinth is critical to make it play smoothly........
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
enigma

Post by enigma »

You see, Ferdie, we saw that your schedule was busy and intentionally made this theme to taunt you. :twisted:

Aren't we cruel?

(Also, using your endless nine to make a dungeon crawler wouldn't be cheating. I mean, it's not AA. And programming difficulty/time isn't a be-all, end-all here. After all, it's not like entries require any programming at all! So... If you had an idea with it... There's no issue with it.)
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

Uh, it's actually a pretty broken mockup.
I think I could make it fun though, got news ideas. Well, it's 4 years old after all.
ImageImage Image Image Image
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

Alright, I can finally execute my plan to authentically recreate Katamari Damacy in a visual novel format, my life's greatest dream!

...I wish!

Okay, my plan was, given the next contest going up, I was simply going to let anyone collaborate with me if they wanted custom sprites from me, and of course I'd also work on the story and case-making too, with the caveat that whatever we have by the end of the comp, we MUST submit it, but.....

I have a feeling that wouldn't work in this case, where everything goes.

JUSTICE FOR THE REST ABSOLUTELY DESPISES ME RIGHT NOW FOR IGNORING IT SO HARD BUT I HAVE A GREAT IDEA SO SIGN ME UP
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
enigma

Post by enigma »

Alright, I'll add you to the OP!

...I wish!

Sadly, only Gamer has the power to do that. Still, welcome aboard! Glad to have you joining this... wonderful journey.
Last edited by enigma on Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clcman

Post by clcman »

You know, given what Overseen's big draw was, I really shouldn't be surprised...
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
enigma

Post by enigma »

Originally, this comp was going to be even more Overseen and be "No Lawyers Allowed". But, for the sake of being broader and allowing more creativity and because I got jealous and wanted this to be an Inbou comp too... and because They made us... we changed it to the current theme.
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Hm, so would it be better to just have no AA stuff at all, or can we have standard AA on top of new stuff? I feel like completely new would fare better because it'd probably have it easier to be more 'distinguished' but it can't hurt to ask.
enigma

Post by enigma »

Well, here's how I see it. Gamer can correct me if I'm on the wrong track. But, essentially, you'll either want to have no AA stuff at all, OR radically change Ace Attorney story wise or gameplay wise. You can have your Standard Ace Attorney elements, but you'll have to be very careful it's not too standard.

Basically, try to have as little Standard Ace Attorney as possible.

Tl;Dr: It's better to have no standard Ace Attorney, but if you NEED a little standard Ace Attorney to make your story/game work, don't be discouraged.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I do need to remind you that:
The Rules wrote:Entrants must post in the thread before the end of the deadline to join the competition. The post must declare their intention to join the competition.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Dagnabbit. You just had to say no attorneys and block my favorite new idea from being entered in this competition.

...And you just had to do it while simultaneously reminding my of another idea that I was thinking of doing...... aaaaaarrrrrggghh.....

Eh, what the heck. Sign me up!
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
enigma

Post by enigma »

And that makes two! It seems Gamer's not around, so I'll just put down the entrant list here.

Entrants
Image (Reecer6)
Image (Calvinball)