I Want to Believe

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Acid Rain
Spoken languages: English, Canadian Redneck English

Re: I Want to Believe

Post by Acid Rain »

Ho ho ho! It's me, Santa...Rain, and Rudolph the clc-nosed...man...yeah. Anyway, we've got presents for all you entrants (and coal for you dropouts) in the spirit of Christmas and not at all because we procrastinated until the last possible minute!

Gav (Gav's)
Spyromed ("Project Wyvern")
trialdude (TD02071)
Tiagofvarela (The Tiag of Varela)

And for the dropouts we have documents of varying levels of completeness (and addendums).

Lind (Lind Lines) (ADDENDUM)
SwagmaWampyr ("The Wampyr") (ADDENDUM)
AceAttorneyMaster111 (AM1113) (ADDENDUM)
@therealpheonixwright (PW8887) (ADDENDUM)
ShadowGengarYT (The Shadow) (ADDENDUM)
IUnderCoverTroll (U0094) (ADDENDUM)
JinniaFlyer450 (ADDENDUM) (ER...WAIT, MAYBE NOT...?)

And with that, you have twelve hours left until the deadline. Merry Christmas to you all! :)

rip less cool ttt banner
clcman
Spoken languages: English

Post by clcman »

Hey, guys. It's currently (by my reckoning) four and a half hours to the deadline. Okay, four hours and forty minutes, whatever. I'm mainly just here to report another entry: Resurrecting the Turnabout by JinniaFlyer450!
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

Acid Rain wrote:Well, I'm in Mountain Time and I think clcman is in Eastern.
Given that it's a holiday and everyone is busy doing stuff, I don't think we'll be overly picky if you're a couple hours late.
i want this to be kept in mind when ours is submitted an hour or two late thanks
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Post by Nicky Boy »

Clearly, the best case is mine. It had a name, six characters and 5 pieces of evidence. I can't see a way for me to not be the winner!
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Okay, so, real talk. Me (and my associate) were working on something for this comp but in the end Christmas kicked all our asses and it couldn't be complete. Still, so that I can get a free spooky profile thing (and since we're still making this, and I do love me some advertising) have yourself a merry little screenshot of what could have been an entry but wasn't.

Idunno when it'll be finished but... there ya go. Back to [censoredpleasebepoliteorsomethingidunno]posting!
clcman

Post by clcman »

Alright, we have acquired our last entry - Turnabout Beyond by Gumpei and Hesseldahl!

To summarize, the entries we currently have are:
  • A Ghost of a Turnabout by dotogam

The Unidentified Flying Turnabout by trialdude

The Batty Turnabout by tiagofvarela

Turnabout Abduction by Detective Luke Atmey

Resurrecting the Turnabout by JinniaFlyer450

Turnabout Beyond by Gumpei and Hesseldahl
Now it's time for Acid and I to crack open the spare eggnog and get to playing. We'll report back (hopefully with reviews) once we have something.

Oh, and as a reminder, we'll be PMing each entrant an SoC and our final thoughts and will, unless they request otherwise, put the non-spoilery review (but not the SoC) up here on this thread. So if you don't want anything about your trial mentioned publicly, please let us know.
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Good luck to those who submitted! I'm looking forward to the initial reviews.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Acid Rain

Post by Acid Rain »

Alright, sorry about the delay, clcman and I both had plans after Christmas. I have some free time over the next few days, so I'm looking to do at least two reviews a day. Before I begin, some things to note:
1) I don't do numerical scores (that aren't a joke), in case anyone is wondering where they are.
2) Literally even single entrant expressed concerns that their entry was, to varying degrees, unfinished/too short/rushed/you get the picture. Lest I sound like a broken record, I won't be commenting very much on entry length.

With that out of the way, here are the first two reviews. I am playing in order of submission, but I skipped dotogam while he works out some image hosting stuff.

trialdude
Spoiler : Contains SPOILERS for The Unidentified Flying Turnabout :
“Salx is the love of my life, the cream to my zargnak!”

As one might guess, trialdude’s The Unidentified Flying Turnabout is about aliens. In this particular installment, Phoenix, Edgeworth, Maya, and the judge are all abducted (along with the courthouse) by a group of aliens seeking lawyers to run a murder trial for them. Because I guess Phoenix and co. aren’t allowed to do anything without solving murders. But I digress.
The player is introduce to a colorful cast of zany aliens and their weird and disgusting culture, in which tapeworms and mucus are key ingredients to delightful recipes. The murder is then introduced, but we don’t get a whole lot of information before the game ends. I know I literally just wrote a disclaimer, but seeing as this game is just shy of 350 frames with no gameplay elements thus far, there really isn’t a lot to talk about.
The canon characters involved were written in-character and behaved appropriately (In line with the tone, that is. Otherwise I would have expected a lot more screaming.). The alien characters we meet tend to take after the canon sprites use to represent them, and I found it difficult to really get into the spirit of the atmosphere. Speaking of which, the dialogue and mood are lighthearted, and the added alien nonsense makes for a charming 350 frames. Speaking subjectively, it would be nice if the aliens were more alien-like and not just "weird humans", though I realize that this isn't exactly easy to do with limited graphics.
That being said, Jean Armstrong sprites were used so for the good of humanity I have to give this trial a 0/10.
tiagofvarela
Spoiler : Contains SPOILERS for The Batty Turnabout :
“It's like asking me to prove one plus one is two. How do I even do that?”

The Batty Turnabout by tiagofvarela is an endearing case that makes good on its title both by revolving around vampires and being generally ridiculous. The game’s plot is fairly straightforward – Athena is tasked with defending a man who is under suspicion of a) being a vampire, and b) murder. You know, typical stuff.
Thus far, we’ve been introduced to three OCs (one only briefly) and a handful of canon characters. The two OCs with actual screentime, the defendant and detective, are both utterly ludicrous: the former going to every length to appear more vampire-y, and the latter being a bipolar, seemingly-telepathic nutjob who really, really shouldn’t be in law enforcement. Both are really fun characters whose respective gimmicks manage to stand out without being overbearing and in-your-face. On the other hand, our two main characters, Athena and Edgeworth, act as the case’s straight-men; juxtaposition to the insanity that surrounds them. Neither seem out-of-character, save for maybe a couple of frames, and do a very good job at mirroring the player’s reactions, making them even more likable.
Which brings me to the overall writing of the case, which I have to say, was my favorite part of the whole thing. The dialogue is very witty, especially the way Athena and Edgeworth wade their way through the sea of idiots and physical impossibilities – with equal parts cynicism and desperation. The jabs the characters make at the case (and each other) combined with the appropriateness of their reactions makes for very cohesive and satisfying dialogue.
In terms of gameplay, there was not a whole lot – just two presents were necessary, both of which I had no problems solving. The logic the player is required to follow isn’t difficult to understand, though I might call it bare-bones – there hasn’t been much in the way of evidence or references so far. The supernatural elements used are not overly interesting by themselves, but they are used intelligently, to create humor as well as mystery, and I had quite the time trying to figure out how much of it was bull**** (and still am).
The game’s presentation is acceptable. There’s a handful of spelling errors, nothing egregious, though. The custom sprites look good and fit their characters well. The only noteworthy point here is the use of ripped Athena sprites, as in, the 3D model. It’s a little jumpy sometimes, but otherwise looks great.
Overall, I had a lot of fun playing The Batty Turnabout. It’s chock full of witty dialogue, ridiculous characters and an even more ridiculous premise. Unfortunately, I have to give this case a 0/10 because there’s no Attorney’s Badge. For shame, tiagofvarela. For shame.

rip less cool ttt banner
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

I feel that, before addressing anything else at a later point in time, I should note that an amount of the spelling errors found in my entry had to do with the usage of "the police" as singular.
This will not be fixed and you can consider it a form of protest against this wretched collective noun. My utmost apologies for any inconvenience caused.

The police is not amused.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Acid Rain

Post by Acid Rain »

So much for "two reviews a day". Ah well.

dotogam
Spoiler : Contains SPOILERS for A Ghost of a Turnabout :
"Rookie Lawyer with Excellent Hair and Promising Career has Perfect Streak Ended because of Ghosts".

A Ghost of a Turnabout by dotogam follows self-proclaimed “Best Lawyer Ever” Disnon Belibar, who takes the case of a young woman/ghost charged with murdering her psychiatrist. From the get go, A Ghost of a Turnabout has the player questioning the plausibility of the crime (as well as the mental faculties of those involved). Conceptually, there are a lot of cool plot points to be found in this case, like a seeming invincible killer, a ghost getting revenge on the guy that killed them, and more. Unfortunately, a lot of the cool stuff that A Ghost of a Turnabout brings to the table is marred by a number of technical hiccups and dialogue that often feels unnatural.
More than anything else, the writing in this case needs some polish. What was being said came across alright, but much of the dialogue feels stilted, and makes it difficult to connect with the characters and to follow their train of thought. There were many moments where I just felt lost regarding the current conversation or theory, which led to a fair amount of confusion on my part.
And although I’d like to stop being a Negative Nancy, I must add that the case stumbles a lot when it comes to revealing evidence, notably, there were a lot of missing profiles, and in one instance, I had a very spoiler-y piece of evidence that I should not have had at that point, which basically solved the mystery for me.
All in all, I want to like A Ghost of a Turnabout, but ultimately I’m not able to look past its flaws and get invested into the story. Also, 0/10 because there’s no Attorney’s Badge during the investigation come on people what am I supposed to shove in witnesses’ faces?!

rip less cool ttt banner
Acid Rain

Post by Acid Rain »

Happy New Year, everyone!

JinniaFlyer450
Spoiler : Contains SPOILER for Resurrecting the Turnabout :
“I wonder what that's like... To be dead and come back, I mean.”

As far as I am aware, Resurrecting the Turnabout is JinniaFly450’s debut work here on AAO, and although it’s very short (<300 frames), it does manage to leave an impression. Speaking of short though, this review is also going to be very short, because, like it or not, there just isn’t much here to talk about.
In typical first trial manner, the writing and characters are pretty stiff, but neither are outright bad. Continuing with the trend, the game is technically flawed (including one forced reset) and has inconsistent presentation, but is ultimately playable (props for having literally the only badge present in the comp thus far). It really is your classic example of “keep trying, and you’ll improve”, which is advice I’ll give here. I will say though, that most first trials are relatively boring conceptually, but Resurrecting the Turnabout actually has my favorite interpretation of our Supernatural Theme so far (But I have one entry left to play, to be fair.). If you couldn’t tell from the title, it involves people coming back to life, which brings an interesting twist to your typical murder trial. That being the case, I give this trial 0/10 because out of anyone you could have murdered and brought back to life you chose WENDY OLDBAGAREYOUSERIOUS?????!1!

rip less cool ttt banner
Acid Rain

Post by Acid Rain »

Whew. That's the last one from me.

Gumpei and Hesseldahl
Spoiler : Contains SPOILERS for Turnabout Beyond :
“But from the ashes of a world that has lost its way, one man shall rise to take the wheel.”

To cap off our entries for I Want to Believe, we have Turnabout Beyond by Gumpei and Hesseldahl. This is going to be a weird little review, partly because the trial is probably vying for the shortest entry award and also because everything I really want to talk about would basically ruin it for everyone else who plays it. So that leaves me with just your typical review stuff to talk about. So, uh, I’ll just do that.
Turnabout Beyond is well-written, with a cast of silly characters involved with a silly case. And then there’s like, an entirely separate plot that is much more serious, but neither of these stories get any farther than their introduction, so I honestly can’t say any more than that. In terms of theme relevance, we also don’t see very much, but it has something to do with ghosts, at the very least. The case is technically sound and has high presentation standards. All of the sprites (save a few canon characters) are made by Hesseldahl, including some new stuff which looks phenomenal.
Basically, playing Turnabout Beyond feels like you’re playing two teasers for two different trials at the same time. I don’t have a clue where this story is going (and I don’t know if its authors do either), but I do know that this entry rendered me completely speechless not once, but twice and I ended up having way, way too much fun playing this thing. 0/10 or whatever the running joke here is I need a drink.
clcman is...somewhere. Hopefully his stuff is coming soon.

rip less cool ttt banner
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Acid Rain wrote:clcman is...somewhere. Hopefully his stuff is coming soon.
i guess the only question left is whether he was abducted by aliens or molemen
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

crab people
clcman

Post by clcman »

Oh, yeah, judging. That think I was supposed to do...
Bad Player wrote: i guess the only question left is whether he was abducted by aliens or molemen
It was Nazis. From the future. Future Nazis. They're like the fourth worst kind of Nazi.

I go through trials REALLY slowly, okay?

Reviews:
Spoiler : A Ghost of a Turnabout by dotogam :
This became known as the "Common Sense Defense." It has never worked once.

Our only entry to include more than one part. Hooray!

A Ghost of a Turnabout follows the adventures of *ahem* Disnon Belibar, Bragger at Law. Disnon is the self-proclaimed Greatest Lawyer In The World, and he loves touting his perfect record of "Not Guilty" verdicts... while, of course, leaving out that he's only ever had one case. Anyways, a random woman stumbles into his suspiciously familiar office, client needs help, go to detention center, bla bla bla.

Disnon soon discovers however, that this is no ordinary case - his client is not only charged with murder (okay, that part's pretty normal), but she's also a ghost. At least, that's what she says. And the prosecutor. And literally no one else.

Anyways, Disnon must battle against his own foolhardiness and ego, as well as a prosecutor who seems to be more focused on proving the existence of ghosts (I assume so people will stop calling her a wackjob - it's not working) than solving the crime. Also, defendant confessions, quasi-locked room, witness shenanigans, you know the drill.

A Ghost of a Turnabout has a lot going for it. Though many of its basic case elements have been seen before (I suppose we've literally had a canon case about a ghost murdering someone), it handles a lot of them fairly well. The protagonist at first seems boring and obnoxious, but slowly reveals his talent for tricking, coercing and persuading people in ways not normally used by the goody-two-shoes protagonists of AA canon. This is facilitated by the case's use of player dialogue options. While there is a straight linear path (with a wrong answer giving you a slap-on-the-wrist penalty and letting you try again, or even just going to the correct answer following your penalty), it gives the player a bit more investment in the situation than average for AA games outside of cross-examinations. The theme relevance is pretty much spot-on, with a serious "are their ghosts or not" back-and-forth between the characters.

However, polish and presentation issues (no doubt deadline-induced) hurt this case a lot, more so than most of the others. I think part of it is that fact that there's a relatively large amount of content here - there's enough story and gameplay that presentation errors actually take away some good will that the case had earned that lesser entries might not have gotten in the first place. Most notably, a piece of evidence issued at the very end of the playable section was not properly hidden when the part started, and so Acid and I went through the whole (playable) trial segment with a piece of evidence that had not been discovered yet, and which gave us an important clue, damaging the mystery. Regardless, I'm sure working without a deadline will allow dotogam to fix these issues on his own before widescale public release.

Final thoughts: With a unique protagonist and a lot of craziness and theme relevance, Ghost has the potential to be an interesting case indeed, once it is fully finished and polished up.
Spoiler : The Unidentified Flying Turnabout by trialdude :
Give them credit, the aliens know how to label things properly.

Extremely short even by this comp’s lax standards, The UFT nevertheless makes a fair impression, mostly due to its intentional weirdness. UFT features Phoenix, Edgeworth, Maya and the Judge being kidnapped by aliens who have had their spaceship captain murdered, and, being required by law to put their prime suspect on trial, thought the best thing to do would be to abduct total strangers who know nothing about their species or culture in an overt show of force that most species would consider an act of war.

They aren’t the brightest bunch around.

Nevertheless, UFT runs on its tone, which combines the fun of self-aware fan-made Ace Attorney stuff (such as Phoenix’s profile calling him the best lawyer on Earth) with the glorious ridiculousness of a properly-made low-budget Sci-Fi B-movie. Ray guns and glowing spaceships are mentioned alongside tapeworm soup and a LOT of weird alien biology. Though there is no custom art to speak of, the NPCs use well-chosen stock sprites that help them stand out and remain memorable, even if they do not yet have much personality beyond “the smart one” or “weird chef weirdo” and you’ll never be able to remember their names without checking the Court Record.

Theme-wise, while the case is certainly focused on its supernatural element, there does not appear to be any doubt or mystery as to whether or not the aliens are real. Who knows, maybe it’s all just a prank by Trucy and Athena.

Final Thoughts: A good proof-of-concept for what should be, if completed, a gloriously stupid but fun little guilty pleasure trial. Just don’t eat any of the soup.
Spoiler : The Batty Turnabout by tiagofvarela :
Ace Attorney in a nutshell.

Athena Cykes finds herself thrust into an unexpected case when Phoenix Wright, being the great mentor that he is, forgets to tell her anything about the case she’s co-counseling for before he arrives and then has to cancel, leaving Athena in charge. Athena does have one advantage, however – the prosecutor agrees that the case against the defendant is utterly preposterous, and is merely following through on his duty thanks to a paperwork error. How hard could a case that even the prosecutor declares to be ridiculous be? Well, it’s a bit more complicated than Athena might have realized. Also vampires. There are vampires. Unless there aren’t. Whether or not there are is kind of the crux of the matter.

Basically, the case is a conflict between the attorney and prosecutor (who believe the vampire part is nonsense) and the witnesses and defendant (who believe that the killer IS a vampire). The case is able to handle the not-always-easy task of balancing its silly wacky witnesses with mildly creepy Gothic atmosphere. The music choices help a LOT. Presentation is in general excellent (with the exception of an ongoing dispute between tiag and us judges regarding the proper tense of "the police"), and the sprites, while I believe are all either canon characters or taken from the random characters thread, are well chosen. Athena is using some fancy new 3D sprites, which have very smooth animations but occasionally look out of place. Overall, though, the emphasis is on humor and fun dialogue, as the puzzles themselves are not terribly complicated. To that end, the case is generally successful, though a full judgment is impossible until we learn what devious possibly-vampiric scheme was used to commit the locked-room murder, because of course it's a locked-room murder.

Oh, and we get to see Edgeworth completely unable to maintain control of a trial as crazy witnesses constantly derail everything. So that's always fun.

Final Thoughts: One of the most theme-relevant of the bunch, with fun characters and a mix of seriousness and ridiculousness that’s hard to pull off. Definitely one I want to see more of.
Spoiler : Turnabout Abduction by Detective Luke Atmey :
Sorry, lady. Wrong comp.

DLA wanted everything about this kept private, so I’ll just say it’s a very good start, with fun characters, good puzzles and decent characters. Also theme relevance. And aliens. Maybe. I highly recommend checking it out if/when/if it comes out in full.
Spoiler : Resurrecting the Turnabout by JinniaFlyer450 :
Hey, zombies are people too, you know!

Apollo Justice can never get a nice, simple case, now can he? This time around he's been hired to defend a woman accused of poisoning a certain talkative old lady/former security guard. Fear not though, for this totally non-irritating and productive member of society who had never interfered in a criminal investigation beforehand and had never had a crush on any maroon-wearing prosecutors was, around the time of her death, infected with the mysterious Anistasivirus; which under certain circumstances can resurrect (hence the name) the recently deceased, with no apparent side effects. So now the murder victim herself can show up in court to testify how the defendant killed her!

...So, like spirit channeling, except sciency, so the court is willing to buy it.

I'm pretty certain that this is Jinnia's first case, and it shows. Dialogue and characterization are nothing special, but not terrible either. The case's main problem is that (thanks, I assume, to the deadline) the case is essentially in pre-Alpha stages. There's just not much there, and what is there is heavily disjointed, with not all of the pieces tied together. That said, "I am nowhere near finished" is a problem that sort of fixes itself as you get closer to beta-testing and public release, and is indicative of the case's current form, not its final product. I'd recommend doing some more work on it (obviously), having it well beta-tested before release, and maybe getting a more experienced partner or mentor to help you out with some of the harder stuff. (I suppose I could help if you at least need someone to talk with about the thing - PM me.) Also, I would recommend focusing on the unique parts of your concept - Anistasivirus and its implications, as well as the story options that open up because of it. Don't just write a generic AAO case with the reanimation of the dead as a minor background element. It's generally all or nothing with these sorts of things.

...And I just realized that this is a public review and not a private advice-offering session, so I'll just move along now.

Final Thoughts: A good little start. Not much to say, other than Anistasivirus is a very interesting plot device, and I hope the case ends up revolving around it quite a bit.
Spoiler : Turnabout Beyond by Gumpei and Hesseldahl :
Hey, look! A Canadian!

Turnabout Beyond is the tale of Piraya Bellarose, ninja lawyer, wife of Gretta Danllo, sister-in-law of Alberto Quintero and probably related to a whole bunch of other people I recognize from Gumpei's Novus Ordo Turnaboutum entry, Turnabout of Nowhere, which I don't think ever got released, and which this might be a far-future sequel to. Maybe. I really don't know.

The point is, Piraya was supposed to be defending a client from murder accusations that even the prosecutor admits are nonsense when she instead somehow ended up in another courtroom with ghosts in it. Better yet, the ghosts of canon characters! (No, I'm not telling you which ones.) You see, one of the ghosts was murdered some years previously, and another one of the ghosts (while still alive) was accused of committing that crime, and now they have to sort it out in Ghost Court ...or at least I think that's the case. In its current stage, Turnabout Beyond is literally two different cases loosely tied together with string. The whole Ghost Trial thing seems more important than the other trial, but much more of the trial's time is spent on the non-ghost one. That's probably just a consequence of the case's extremely short length, as Gumpei decided to change projects partway through the competition.

The point is, what we have so far is intriguing, polished and has fun dialogue, nice and memorable characters, good custom sprites and overall excellent presentation. It's certainly an intriguing enough case to be worth checking out in the future.

Also, I am about 85% certain that it is a sequel to or AU of Turnabout Revolution.

Final Thoughts: While a proof-of-concept in which it is not 100% clear what the concept IS, Beyond nevertheless has solid writing and presentation, decent characters and the clear potential to be quite a case in deed.
Barring an attack by a vengeful vampire/zombie/ghost/alien alliance, our final results should be up in 48 hours or less or your money that you haven't paid us back!