I Want to Believe

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Acid Rain
Spoken languages: English, Canadian Redneck English

I Want to Believe

Post by Acid Rain »

I Want to Believe
The competition where everything has a perfectly logically explanation probably.

"I mean it was probably just a dude in a mask, right? Right...?"

For a series that is all about using logic to solve murders and find the truth, Ace Attorney sure has a lot of bizarre plot devices. Think about it: a gem that let's its holder detect lies, a guy who can focus intently enough to see the slightest twitch, a girl with an inexplicably powerful emotion-sensing robot around her neck, an entire country of spirit channelers, and a prosecutor who can use basic, first-grade logic (or, failing that, beat people up with giant psychic chess pieces). Not to mention the proven existence of ghosts.

So yeah. It's a bit weird.

But where does AA draw the line? How weird are they going to get? How weird is AAO willing to get? Magic? Monsters? Magic monsters? MONSTER MAGIC??? In this comp, we want you to create a game that introduces supernatural elements into an otherwise mundane world...or does it? Fake magic is just as encouraged as real magic here (and we have more than enough weird jewelry to tell if you're lying anyway). For this comp, the mystery surrounding the weirdness is almost as important as the weirdness itself. We want to constantly be asking ourselves: "Is this stuff for real?"

We're not going to disallow the "mundane person in strange world" take on the theme or crossovers with supernatural elements, but just be careful that you don't detract from the mystery by being too upfront with the subject matter.

We say "supernatural" for convenience; your entry can include anything paranormal, anomalous, extranormal, metaphysical, mystical or even sci-fi, provided that you go really sci-fi. It's a broad topic, so if you don't know where to start, here a a few examples:
  • Crypitds ranging from your everyday vampire to the obscure Manananggal.
  • Human phenomena such as psychokinesis or immortality.
  • Curses, necromancy, or other magic-y goodness.
  • Freakin' aliens, man!
Which is only the tip of the iceberg, really. You could do ghosts, clones, demonic pacts, teleportation, time travel, ancient lovecraftian beings with a vengence, ancient lovecraftian beings WITHOUT a vengeance, robotic duplicates, Atlantis, fairies, flippin' Santa Claus, or a combination of any or all of these. The sky's the limit, unless your protagonist is secretly a bird person.

Judging

Story Concept - Do you have an interesting, engaging, innovative and logical story? Are the characters interesting?
Story Execution - Is the story well-paced? Is the dialogue and narration well-written and natural-sounding?
Graphics & Music - Are the graphics and music well-done? Do they fit the characters, situations and atmosphere?
Technical Perfection - Has your trial been tested carefully, with few bugs, typos or grammar mistakes?
Gameplay - Is the gameplay fair, interesting and enjoyable? (If "he could do that because magic" is an acceptable answer to any and every question, that's BAD.)
Theme Relevance - How interesting is your supernatural element(s) and the intrigue it/they create? How well is it incorporated into the story?

Rules
  • The entry must have been created between September 25th 2016, and December 25th 2016.
  • The entry must introduce seemingly supernatural elements into a mundane setting.
  • The entry may be a trial, investigation, comedy or neither.
  • The entry may be unrelated to AA. Mysteries, gameplay and puzzles are not required.
  • The entry must not spoil DGS or AA6, but may spoil any other AA game.
  • The entry must be submitted to Acid Rain and clcman by the deadline.
  • The entry must be sent along with a walkthrough that includes every potentially difficult puzzle, provided such puzzles exist.
  • The entry must not be showcased and/or set to public until the winner has been announced.
  • The entry may be incomplete, although complete entries might be preferred in certain categories.
Deadline

All entries must be declared and submitted to Acid Rain and clcman by December 25th, 2016.

Entrants

Subject Documentation Index

Detective Luke Atmey (The Looker)
JinniaFlyer (JF0450) (ADDENDUM) (ER...WAIT, MAYBE NOT...?)
Gumpei (Gummy Bears) and Hesseldahl (The Third-Eye Artist)
Dave (REDACTED)
Gamer2002 (Overseen Justice)
Gav (Gav's)
dotogam ("Portrait of a Man")
Evo (Documentation Withheld)
Spyromed ("Project Wyvern")
trialdude (TD02071)
Tiagofvarela (The Tiag of Varela)

Dropouts

Nicky_Boy (Pinnochio) (ADDENDUM)
SwagmaWampyr and Zeel1™ ("The Wampyr") (ADDENDUM)
AceAttorneyMaster111 (AM1113) (ADDENDUM) and @therealpheonixwright (PW8887) (ADDENDUM)
Lind (Lind Lines) (ADDENDUM)
ShadowGengarYT (The Shadow) (ADDENDUM)
IUnderCoverTroll (U0094) (ADDENDUM)
Last edited by Acid Rain on Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 12 times in total.

rip less cool ttt banner
clcman
Spoken languages: English

Re: I Want to Believe

Post by clcman »

I'm clcman, and I approve this comp.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
DLA
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, a bit of French

Post by DLA »

I'm joining.
The Final but not so ending chapter.
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

The Weird Premises compo was 100% inclusive of the prompt of this compo but YOU KNOW WHAT, OKAY, FINE, STEAL MY IDEA AND GET MORE ENTRIES
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
Acid Rain
Spoken languages: English, Canadian Redneck English

Post by Acid Rain »

Reecer6 wrote:The Weird Premises compo was 100% inclusive of the prompt of this compo but YOU KNOW WHAT, OKAY, FINE, STEAL MY IDEA AND GET MORE ENTRIES
Yeah but The Weird Premise compo was inclusive of everything. :P

@DLA You probably just earned the "Quickest Comp Entry" award. Like, it didn't even take you eight full minutes.

rip less cool ttt banner
JinniaFlyer450
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by JinniaFlyer450 »

I'm in. I have an idea. I just hope that I can maintain my interest level, because I'm really proud of this idea.
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

this comp started on my birthday so i'm going to take that as a sign to join
clcman

Post by clcman »

JinniaFlyer450 wrote:I'm in. I have an idea. I just hope that I can maintain my interest level, because I'm really proud of this idea.
And I'm really proud of you for being proud of your idea. DO NOT LET US DOWN!!
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Hesseldahl
Spoken languages: Español, English

Post by Hesseldahl »

I would love to join this competition.
But since I know my english isn't good enough, I lack experience as a writer and lastly, I am a bit occupied these days, I'm searching for someone who wants a collaborator.

I think I'm good enough to help someone get ideas, correct typos, make custom graphics and develop concepts.

tl;dr, I would like to become a collaborator of someone.
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

I'd like to once again make clear that I would be totally for making sprites for someone entering this competition, because we all need good enough-looking original characters, provided that the entry is actually submitted eventually. Just contact me, and if I have faith you'll create a perfectly valid entry someday, I'll be all for it.

Doesn't even technically have to be a collaboration, if you don't want my name to have that high of a billing!
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

For now, I'll say I'll join like I always do. I actually have an idea, and I could reasonably flesh it out if i keep myself from being too silly about it.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Oh my God, I recently had an idea that fits the theme.

I join.
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

May collab.

May not.

Anyone wanna make me an interesting offer?

also here is a really bad trauma team joke
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Post by Nicky Boy »

I have a great idea... but lack experience...

I will think about REALLY HARD in the 15 minutes to pass and I MIGHT ask for a collaborator. If you want to collab with a new guy, that is..... Forever alone.....
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage