I'll Face Myself

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

I'll Face Myself

Post by Enthalpy »

I'll Face Myself

Franziska, we need to have a talk.
Who will disagree with "making cases is hard"? I can't think of anybody, but let's not stop there. I know why I personally find making cases hard.

1. It takes a lot of time to make a case, and I don't have enough to make one... largely due to my refusal to set boundaries on school/work and additional obligations, instead of sticking to a schedule that will give me time to spend on my favorite hobby.
2. The case I wanted to make next required that three different "layers" of my case aren't only compatible, but are thoroughly integrated together. I'm too out of practice for this. The last case I made was years ago and didn't need so much discipline. I don't even know where to start, and I've been avoiding it. The only way around it is to put this project on hold and do something simpler, so I can get back into things.
3. I'm the logic and mystery guy around here. Writing emotional moments, and tying in the characters to the larger mystery? I have barely any experience with those.

You have your list, I'm sure. Let's accept our limitations so we can break them. In this competition, you'll be working on one of those areas of weakness, because who knows, the process might give you trial-writing superpowers.

Task

Your task has multiple parts this time.
  1. Identify your biggest weaknesses as a trial-maker. Examples:
    • Phoenix Wright's trial segments frequently make weird leaps in logic.
    • Simon Blackquill doesn't like AA style cases and wants to write something different, but he's not sure what style he wants, or how to write it.
    • Trucy Wright has a bunch of project ideas, but the few times she's tried to write them, she's abandoned them after two weeks in the editor.
  2. Come up with a "stretch" project that is doable, but requires you to address one of those weaknesses. Examples:
    • Phoenix writes a trial-only case, paying meticulous attention to the logic of the case during the planning phase. He experiments with different techniques to catch plot holes and asks for advice in the Help topic on how people find logic problems in their cases.
    • Simon revisits some cases he's liked/disliked, to try to identify what he wants his new style to be. He comes up with outlines for two cases done in this new style.
    • Trucy finishes Part Two of a two-part case. (The other part has already been showcased.)
  3. Send Enthalpy the results of your project
Judging
As an entry need not even be a completed case, we're going to have some unique judging criteria:
Self-Assessment - Did you succeed in identifying one of your weaknesses as a case-maker? Identify it precisely and clearly enough that your judge can say whether the problem is or is not there in a given case. Identify something general enough that it is a problem when writing cases, and not just with one particular case.
Directness of Practice - How directly did your practice project actually practice/investigate the problem you identified? In the examples above, Phoenix would do quite badly if he only submitted an investigation segment.
Degree of Improvement - How much improvement or progress did your work show?
Final Product - How good is your overall product? Trucy may receive credit for finishing her old case, but is it any good? Simon may have designed his new style, but are there glaring problems not addressed?

Rules
  • The entry must have been created after April 25, 2018, with the sole exception that projects to finish old cases are acceptable if the project has not been worked on in the last six months.
  • If the entry is finishing an old case, Enthalpy must be sent the old case before work begins, for comparison.
  • The entry may be a comedy or miscellaneous case, or not even a trial.
  • The entry must not contain any spoilers other than music for Dai Gyakuten Saiban and Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2.
  • The entry must be submitted to Enthalpy by the deadline, along with a walkthrough (if applicable), a statement of the weakness and goal of the project, and a past example of the problem (if applicable).
  • The entry may be incomplete.
Deadline
All entries must be submitted by the start of July 1st 2nd, 2018, in Eastern Standard Time.

Entrants
Tiagofvarela
Ferdielance
clcman Another deadline missed
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Re: I'll Face Myself

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

Nice theme! I might be able to find some time to dust off that Turnabout to Escape case I started (and abandoned) like three years ago.
clcman
Spoken languages: English

Post by clcman »

Well, I'm currently trying to decide which of my 6 or so unfinished projects I should be working on, so it sounds like I'm a Trucy.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

this'd be a cinch for me

all i'd have to do was make sure bp never got bingo
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Ah. I have precisely the unfinished project for this competition. Think I last touched it in 2016.
In fact, not only is it an unfinished project, it showcases a more important weakness of mine: Writing a mystery. The reason I never finished it was because I realised I had no mystery halfway through. I still have no idea how the crime was committed, yet I have like three or four cross-examinations figured out. What a mess.

I do have some three other unfinished projects, but those are more recent and I'm more prepared to handle them than this one.
Let's try and finish A Tricky Turnabout.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

cant fix perfection bby 8)

good theme tho
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

@ AAM, clc: Nice! Let me know if you officially decide you'll be entering.
@ enigma: That's what Franziska said, too.
@ Tiagofvarela: Added!
@ DWaM: Inventing time travel isn't an option, at least as far as I'm aware.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

very well

time for me to write a trial not featuring a single whip or perfectly redundantly redundant repetition
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Minor but important rule change: If your entry is to finish an old case, please send me your old case before you start changing it! I need to know what parts were done within the competition and which weren't.
clcman

Post by clcman »

Just to clarify something that seems obvious but I don't think was explicitly spelled out: the "finish an old case" option is an exception to the "you can't submit a case to two separate comps" rule, right? So you could finish a case you had previously made but not finished for another comp?
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

That's correct. I just need to see how far you made it on the original case, so I know what's "new" for purposes of this comp.
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

If cases made in UCANT were accepted, I’m in. Otherwise, though, this might not be justifiable while I still have UCANT to finish.

My first weakness is trial segments, and my strength is investigations.
My second weakness is traditional CEs, and my strength is gimmick puzzles.
My third weaknesss is writing stories where there is someone who deliberately kills, and my strength is coming up with accidental deaths that look like murder, or cases where nobody even really dies. This gets predictable.
My fourth weakness is maintaining a single plot thread within a single genre with reasonably consistent tone. My strength is genre-breaking.

So if I entered this it would be to make a by-the-book trial-only case with no presentational gimmicks, where someone really made a plan to kill a human being and carried it out.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

As this is an unusual competition, I'll allow it.

Now that you mention it, I am seriously considering removing the "must be an AAO case" restriction in general. If I decide to go forward with this, I'll put up a post to get community feedback.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

With the CR game jam happening soon, removing the restriction might help a lot in maintaining any momentum in interest/activity that the game jam generates.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Right, that's one of my motivations.

In other news, clcman PMd me to say he'd be joining, so added to the list!