They Shall Not Kill

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Ana_
Spoken languages: English

They Shall Not Kill

Post by Ana_ »

They Shall Not Kill
Los Angeles can only hold so many people. It's only a matter of time before everyone either gets murdered or flees the mad, murderous city and there's no one left to kill. Fortunately, assuming every single case in AAO involves murder is just the brainwashed ramblings of fans of a sub-par attorney game.

For this competition, I want a case where nobody dies. That means were looking for a different kid of crime - theft, arson, vandalism, bad jokes, maybe even no crime at all, who knows! Just kill nobody. You may take this as an opportunity to create a unique mystery that would be difficult to accomplish through a mere act of murder - that will serve your entry particularly well during the judging.

Judging
Story - Try make the case well-paced, the dialogue sound natural, and everything make logical sense.
Presentation - Make the graphics and music fit the situations and atmosphere.
Gameplay - Try make the puzzles fair and interesting.
Theme Relevance - Does the crime's significance create an interesting story - mystery or otherwise?

Rules
The entry must have been created between August 2, 2018 and November 2, 2018.
The entry must not be showcased until after the winner has been announced.
The entry may be a trial, investigation, comedy or something else.
The entry must not feature a dead person.
Backstory-only characters may be deceased but their deaths must be from natural causes (age, sickness etc).
The entry may contain spoilers for any game in the AA series, including Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2. If it contains spoilers for other non-AA games, this must be made clear when submitted.
The entry must be submitted to AceJakkidFan by the deadline, along with a walkthrough.
The entry may be incomplete.

Deadline
Entries must be submitted to AceJakkidFan via PM before November 2, 2018 23:59 GMT, though expect some small lenience because I'm known far and wide as a very nice man.

Entrants
Southern Corn & cesar26100
clcman
RedeyesofDN
Mr. Insane
Last edited by Ana_ on Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Image Image Image Image
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Re: They Shall Not Kill

Post by Southern Corn »

This is certainly an interesting topic for a case competition. I'm looking forward to see the entries on this.

Speaking of, count me in on this! The deadline seems quite fair and I think I have an amazing idea for this.
clcman

Post by clcman »

Interesting. With regards to the rule about "Must not feature a dead person", I wonder if you would be okay with a case where there is a non-murdered dead person like, say, an ancestor (Ami Fey, for example), or a part of a backstory. Or a person has died of definitely-natural causes but their will is full of puzzles and treasure maps that you've been tasked to solve or that sort of thing. Or Ghost!Mia being involved. Just trying to think of situations that break the rule as written, while the core "it's not a murder" thing still applies.

Now I really want to make a case where characters are constantly being attacked, injured, shot at and falling down stairs, but an endless sequence of coincidences and one-in-a-million events keep everyone alive regardless.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Esrom

Post by Esrom »

clcman wrote:Interesting. With regards to the rule about "Must not feature a dead person", I wonder if you would be okay with a case where there is a non-murdered dead person like, say, an ancestor (Ami Fey, for example), or a part of a backstory. Or a person has died of definitely-natural causes but their will is full of puzzles and treasure maps that you've been tasked to solve or that sort of thing. Or Ghost!Mia being involved. Just trying to think of situations that break the rule as written, while the core "it's not a murder" thing still applies.
I was just about to ask the same question. Been trying to think of a good enough storyline to fit in with this comp.

All in all, a very interesting idea. Looking forward to seeing what people come up with when they branch out to things other than murder cases.
Ana_

Post by Ana_ »

TBH that was a thing I was considering drawing the line at. I'll make an amendment to the rules... mainly so we don't have 150-year-old zombies appearing in the cases.

Backstory-only characters can be deceased but their deaths must be from natural causes (age, sickness etc).
Image Image Image Image
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I thought I had an idea for this, but that fell through.

Still thinking about entering, but I'd need an idea first!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Esrom

Post by Esrom »

Still thinking about entering. I have a few ideas for a non-murder crime. I just need the particulars. And depending on what I choose, I might need some special crime scene backgrounds.
IUndercoverTroll

Post by IUndercoverTroll »

I have a rough Idea but probably won't enter until I'm done with writing the outline.
Mr. Insane
Spoken languages: English, Dutch

Post by Mr. Insane »

My weakness is doing the right competition, but this time I'll do it right.

wait...
Well, I don't consider myself crazy...

I prefer insane...
But that's Mr. Insane for you.
clcman

Post by clcman »

Mr. Insane wrote:My weakness is doing the right competition, but this time I'll do it right.

wait...
Oh my Jakkid... Mr. Insane, you're alive!

I thought you were eaten by wolves in the middle of a black hole.
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Jofe
Spoken languages: Français [100%], English [70%]

Post by Jofe »

A simple but excellent theme. (Yes, I found this topic a bit late x) )
I have some ideas but as I devote myself fully to my project, I do not think to participate, for lack of time. And I'm really bad at reproducing the personality of the official characters. x)

Good luck everyone!
Image Image Image Image Image
Southern Corn

Post by Southern Corn »

Posting here to say that cesar26100 is collaborating with me on my case as well. Expect it before November! :D
cesar26100
Spoken languages: English-Ingles,Español-Spanish

Post by cesar26100 »

I just realized I hadn't posted here so, yeah, I'm collaborating with Southern Corn. Can't wait for everyone to play it, and to play any other entries made for this comp! This theme is great.
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.
Southern Corn

Post by Southern Corn »

Surprised nobody else has officially entered, but whatever, here's a vague hypeshot!
Spoiler : What is it, Maya? :

Oh dear.
clcman

Post by clcman »

You know what? Enough of this. It's time something happened around here, and it's time I did something again on AAO.

*cracks knuckles*

It's been seven years since I made a comp case in a month. Time to see if that's like riding a bike, or like riding a walrus.

I hath entered.

I would hypeshot, but I currently can't offer screenshots, so you'll have to wait a couple of days on that.