Setting the Stage

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

DJJ6800
Spoken languages: English

Re: Setting the Stage

Post by DJJ6800 »

Geez, how many entrants are we gonna get for this thing?
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Alright, started to actually frame this stuff in.

I forgot how tedious the process could be. I'm definitely not as efficient at this like before. Still, it's definitely still good to run it and see things play out like envisioned. And while the crack isn't giving me speed, it's definitely in the story itself.

As for Tiag's puzzle...
Spoiler : Proposed solution :
Instinctively, I'd say that you're supposed to turn on each bulb at least once for a specified amount of time. Then, when you get to the top, the only bulb that isn't warm is the broken one. However, the clue about only one bulb being on at a time is probably a hint that this solution won't work.

Uh, in that case, does it say what switch is for which bulb? If it is, then it's actually straightforward.

Turn one random one on for a specified amount of time. Then flip another one on and go upstairs.

If one of the bulbs is on, then check the other two. If they're both cold, the first one you flipped is the broken one. If one is warm, it's the one you hadn't turned on.
And if there are no lights on, it's the second bulb you flipped on.
Ana_

Post by Ana_ »

Okay I see six possible solutions to the Tiag puzzle.
Spoiler : Tiag's Puzzle :
The accomplice solution: You go up to the attic while the second person waits in the staff room. The second person - your accomplice - then turns them on one by one, and you replace the one that doesn't turn on.

The impractical solution: You go up to the attic, take all three light bulbs, bring them to the staff room and test them there. You're no longer permitted to go up to the attic so I guess they never actually get replaced in any practical manner but at least you figured out which bulb was broken.

The mirror solution: Set up a bunch of mirrors all around the building that go all the way up to the attic. When you press the switch in the staff room, look into the mirror you left on the ground floor and you should make out a reflection of a reflection of a reflection (...) of the attic - just do this for the three lights and you should be able to easily perceive which one is broken without even leaving the staff room.

The colorful solution: Go up to the attic (abandoning your rights to go back up again, sadly), and cover each of the bulbs in different colored paper - red, green and blue for example. Go down to the staff room, press one switch, then go outside and look up at the attic window. If you see it lit up in red, the bulb covered by the red paper is clear. If it's lit in green, the green-wrapped one is clear. That leaves the blue-wrapped one as the broken bulb.

The destructive solution: Blast a hole in the ceiling of the floor below the attic - in other words, a hole in the floor of the attic. From there, keep digging holes in the underlying floors until you reach the bottom floor. Turn one of the lights on and look up through the hole to see if it's working. If the distance is too great for you to make out which bulb is which, use a telescope or something.

The efficient solution: Go up to the attic and break all three bulbs - smash them into little pieces to make sure they're broken. At that point, all three of them are broken, so you can safely replace all three of them. The puzzle does not state you have to figure out which "one" bulb is broken, and considering this allows the puzzle to be solved without going down to the staff room and allows the attic to reap the benefits of your efforts I dare call this one the most elegant solution so far.
(3k frames innnn)
Last edited by Ana_ on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image Image Image
Salamence

Post by Salamence »

AceJakkidFan wrote: (3k frames innnn)

i have 117 frames HA

Part 1 complete

Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Spoiler : re puzzle :
You turn on each light separately and don't enter the attic, just look from the outside if it is dark inside.

Once the broken light is on and good ones are off, I enter the attic, remove all the bulbs and put my finger in their place, to get myself killed by electrocution learning which bulb was broken that way.

I entered the attic once and will never enter there again, the puzzle is solved.
bigwins

Post by bigwins »

The amount of time I had to spend rereading that puzzle before I could even begin to wrap my head around it does not bode well for my brain when I eventually start playing this thing.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

AceJakkidFan wrote:(3k frames innnn)
See you were all so worried about me that you didn't notice this man coming at you with a Big One.

This has all also made me realize just how scary, in retrospect, the 8-10k trial entries must've been to newcomers a few years back.
Salamence

Post by Salamence »

DWaM wrote:
See you were all so worried about me that you didn't notice this man coming at you with a Big One.

This has all also made me realize just how scary, in retrospect, the 8-10k trial entries must've been to newcomers a few years back.
Uhhhhhh well you are the big scary legendary case maker

Part 1 complete

SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

3k! Woah! (Also knowing they can get up to 8-10k makes me less anxious there's a frame limit LOL I've been running under that assumption just in case I hit it and need to make a "Part 2")
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
IUndercoverTroll

Post by IUndercoverTroll »

Spoiler : Alright, here's my answer to Tiag's puzzle :
You turn the broken bulb on first. When you see there are no bulbs turned on it can only be the bulb you turned on.
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Post by Southern Corn »

Everyone here's trying to solve that puzzle Tiago made but meanwhile the image is partially cropped out to me because of AAO shenanigans and I'm to lazy to try and get the full thing.
DWaM wrote:

This doesn't even compare to last comp where he just joined up and sent in his entry at the same time. Though 3K frames is certainly much longer than Tennis, which was something like 1.8K frames.

Also, I feel bad because I've never actually managed to reach 3K frames on a case before.

The surplus of activity this time also makes me very eager. I don't even think I've woken up to these many messages for a comp before, so it certainly makes me excited!
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Southern Corn wrote:
The surplus of activity this time also makes me very eager. I don't even think I've woken up to these many messages for a comp before, so it certainly makes me excited!
It's our own way of relieving the tension we face going up against ten other competitors, including the god of AAO, DWaM.
bigwins

Post by bigwins »

Ahhh, don't worry. I'm a pretty fair and even judge, and I think I'm pretty good at recognizing what different cases do well and what their authors' strengths are, so there's no pressure...

...except on me to find time to play eleven cases
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Just don’t forget to use this when judging DWaM. The DWaM Bingo Card! (Made by BP.)

https://m.imgur.com/CmSRHSx
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Post by Southern Corn »

bigwins wrote:Ahhh, don't worry. I'm a pretty fair and even judge, and I think I'm pretty good at recognizing what different cases do well and what their authors' strengths are, so there's no pressure...

...except on me to find time to play eleven cases
And I thought we had it bad. Good luck on you to get all that time now.

At least you don't have a co-host whose timezone you need to worry about when playing cases together though

Also idea, DWaM should only win if his case manages to fill every space in that bingo card.