Setting the Stage

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

bigwins
Spoken languages: English

Setting the Stage

Post by bigwins »

Setting the Stage

Land of mystery and extremely arbitrary public opinion.

The world of the original Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is pretty clear-cut. The place? The city of Los Angeles, basically consisting of an apartment, a hotel, a TV studio, and a lake. The time? Ostensibly the present day, complete with ancient cellphones and black-and-white photographs.

Of course, now Phoenix and friends are going on globe-trotting adventures on the other side of the world, and his ancestor’s hanging out with Sherlock Holmes in the 1890s. Trials are held in completely destroyed courtrooms! Cases might take place in the present, or the past, or who knows- maybe both at once!

For this comp, I want your case to have a strong and memorable setting. Whether it’s a unique time period or an odd locale for solving murders, I want the background of your case to be distinctly different from typical AA fare. You might think that means no trial-only cases, but there are ways to make it work. It’s important to note here that your setting has to mean something in the grander scheme of the case. There needs to be a reason your action’s happening when and where it is.

JUDGING
Story - Establish and integrate your setting well, and try to maintain the hallmarks of a good case (good pacing, natural dialogue, sound logic).
Presentation - Ensure the graphics and music you use are fitting for your case.
Gameplay - Try to have fair and interesting puzzles, engaging investigations, etc.
Theme Relevance - Is your case’s setting unique and interesting? Does it play a role in the story or logic of the case?

RULES
- The entry must have been created between January 22, 2019 and April 22, 2019.
- The entry must not be showcased until after the deadline, but may be showcased before the judging period ends.
- The entry may be a trial, investigation, comedy or miscellaneous creation.
- The entry must incorporate an interesting setting into the story.
- The entry may contain spoilers for any AA game except Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2.
- The entry may be incomplete.

DEADLINE
The entry must be submitted to bigwins by April 22, 2019 at 11:59 PM EST, along with a walkthrough, although of course there’ll be some room for error.

ENTRANTS
- Super legenda
- Gav
- DannyPlaysSomeGames
- trialdude
- DJJ6800
- Doodled
- SuperAj3 & Ann-nna
- Salamence
- clcman & Spybreak001
- AceJakkidFan
- DWaM
- Tiagofvarela
Last edited by bigwins on Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:08 am, edited 25 times in total.
Vagrant
Spoken languages: English, Italian, some French.

Re: Setting the Stage

Post by Vagrant »

Maybe I'll join. Don't count me in yet.
coming soon

turnabout in the mist
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Post by Southern Corn »

Well, this is looking pretty neat! Interested in seeing what settings people use for this comp. I'm sadly not joining, got two other cases to complete now. Still, good luck to all who're entering! :)
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

I'll join.
Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

GUESS WHO'S BACK, BACK AGAIN

it's me and i'm in
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Huh. I was planning on writing a case soon. It's still very early in the planning phases, and I hadn't thought much about the physical location, so maybe it would fit, maybe not? I'll think about it and post here when I decide if I'll be in or not.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

I think I can probably participate in this competition, however, here's the deal:
Spoiler : No Spoilers For Anything :
I have a case idea I "started" last year that I can definitively adapt to this theme by rewriting all its 100-ish frames, and would be a comedy thing. However, it would only be worth doing so if the judge knows about/likes anime, as it'll otherwise seem very weird in what happens in it, and wouldn't work at all as the comedy case it's meant to be. It wouldn't be worth my attempt to finish it before I get rather busy in a month's time.
If I don't work on this, I'll probably work on finishing A Clumsy Turnabout within the same time-frame instead. Essentially, I can't decide what I'd rather do, so I'm asking here, and will get started on whichever seems best given a reply. Then I'll decide depending on what happens, as inspiration might refuse to strike and I'll give up within a week.

And of course, there's the fact that I already have 100 frames drafted out (where a bunch will get rewritten hahahaha), so if people aren't cool with me using that as a base, simply disregard this.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
DannyPlaysSomeGames
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by DannyPlaysSomeGames »

I'll probably join, but due to how convoluted my idea already is and the fact that I've barely used AAO, let alone joined competition, I'm kinda expecting my submission to not be good.

Oh well, why not? Might as well give it a try.
Hey there
trialdude

Post by trialdude »

I've thought up a really crazy setting. Thinking of the crime is going to be the hard part, but if I don't enter now, I probably never will. Sign me up, but maybe consider putting in a punishment for dropouts...
For extra motivation.
I have the stupidest username in all of AAO. Nowhere else will you find one more stupid.
bigwins

Post by bigwins »

Added you all! And I've already come up with the punishment for anyone who drops out:
Spoiler : :
submit a finished case
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Eh, you know what? Let's try this again. I think I have a pretty good idea for a concept. Sign me up! Not sure if I can fulfill that punishment if I drop out, though.
Doodled

Post by Doodled »

I dropped by these forums over 4 years after my last visit for the sake of nostalgia, and... well, this contest definitely piqued my interest. I think I'll give it a whack.
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

I'm very sorry but... i will drop.
I joined because i had an idea in mind for a long time, but now i realized that i have been stuck with that idea for over half a year, so maybe i couldn't even submit an entry because lack of resources, sorry.
clcman

Post by clcman »

Okay, I think this is far enough along to make official. Spybreak001 and I shall set and stage!!
Spoiler : Hype :
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Post by Southern Corn »

clcman hyyyyype! I can’t wait to not see this case that you’re making for this soon!

Yes, that was intentional.