The Lawpocalypse - AWARDS CEREMONY

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Re: The Lawpocalypse

Post by SuperAj3 »

I can confirm all the cases I've played so far have fit the theme XD

Next review! (atm Ann-nna is reviewing Salamence's entry)
~~Turnabout Erasure~~
By: Super Legenda
Spoiler : Review :
Super Legenda's entry is quite brief, but begins with a very intriguing opening. Someone has access to the world's files and has just deleted Japanifornia.

The case begins with court convening for a trial relating to the disappearance of a house and the lack of recollection any neighbours have of the people who live there... and that's about it.

For a short case, presentation-wise the case looked nice. Clever use of assets for the opening cutscene. Nice use of 3D assets to set this case in a post-DD timeframe (although some of Phoenix's sprites switched between 3D animations to fan-sprites which was a little jarring). Music and sprites were all canon, or fan-recreations of canon assets (for the character sprites). Some grammatical errors were in here, but it didn't detract from me following the case

Some fun was had with the judge penalising Edgeworth, only for him to refuse.

I would've loved to have seen the idea of the world slowly being deleted as people try to work out what's going on, and how this would play out in a trial (the premise kinda reminds me of the "Jail House Lock" arc of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean - which I enjoyed reading) so I was hoping to see a little more content to this case.

Nonetheless, I'm happy the submission made its way through and I really liked the premise of this case. It's a good idea that I'd like to see developed.
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

I'm glad that you liked the little of Erasure.
Can you believe that 5 minutes ago i got the idea for how to continue it? My timing couldn't be better.
:tigre:
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

No worries! And LOL better late than never XD

Another case down, another review! So far the cases I've played have (with the exception of DJJ's) been ending as soon as they begin. Sorry if the time limit for this comp wasn't enough (No one asked for extensions, so I assumed people were fine. I should've followed up some more :gumshoe: ).
~~A Turnabout Most Dark~~
By DannyPlaysSomeGames
A preview of a flashback in "Jupiter Pulse: Ace Attorney" sees us playing as a juror watching a re-creation of the FD-6 case - a massacre of 7 people. (After reading this summary in post, I realise how meta this case is XD)

The case itself is brief, with only an introduction to the client and a quick chat with the detective on the case. The case follows Erik von Fiere, a lawyer who has gone undefeatd for 30 years, taking on a case involving a mysterious client unwilling to share any information with Erik on their case.

The case so far is well-presented. The profile pictures of the 7 victims (barring one) are all fan-made. Apart from Erik von Fiere and the detective, all the sprites used for characters were fan-made ones, with the music being all from canon games. A custom voice-clip however is used as the MASON system boots up in the introduction. There's nice usage of the fade in and fade out effects to transition between segments of the case. I did like how the detective for this case was Daryan Crescend. It would've been cool to see a past character have some personality expansion. Unfortunately we only get a brief view of his personality as the case ends pretty soon after we first talk with him.

As far as theme relevance goes, I can't say this case fits the theme either literally or metaphorically. While the death of 7 people might be "the end of the world" to someone, no real connection was drawn to the theme through the exposition or the dialogue (Although knowing Maggey Byrde was injured, to me, personally, is the end of the world ). The case did however have 2 instances where we are told the author is busy and wasn't able to finish the case, which I thought was kinda endearing (given how long the exposition at the start of the case is).

Overall I think this case needed a little more added to it to tie it in with the theme, but it feels like a good building block for an interesting story.
ImageImageImageImage
clcman
Spoken languages: English

Post by clcman »

SuperAj3 wrote:Sorry if the time limit for this comp wasn't enough (No one asked for extensions, so I assumed people were fine. I should've followed up some more :gumshoe: ).
I think what happened is that most of your entrants are relatively new trial makers and the hype sort of died in the middle of the summer (often a hard time to keep people focused on a comp) which meant that no one ended up putting in as much time as needed for a long/complete case. That's the unfortunate reality of a lot of fancase competitions.

For the record, Spybreak and I did have an idea for this comp in which the Bureau of Anomalous Subjects and Entities was hunting down a doomsday cult that had somehow stolen a train full of uranium, but it never got out of the planning stages and we decided to work on other projects instead.
Spoiler : Did end up making prototype title art, though :

AKA The Nuclear Bird Turnabout
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Salamence

Post by Salamence »

clcman wrote:I think what happened is that most of your entrants are relatively new trial makers and the hype sort of died in the middle of the summer (often a hard time to keep people focused on a comp) which meant that no one ended up putting in as much time as needed for a long/complete case. That's the unfortunate reality of a lot of fancase competitions.
Yeah, I did loose motivation over the summer. When I finally got motivation, I tried writing the press convos for the testimony I was in the middle of, but I'm just bad at that, and couldn't get much done.

So I'm left with a very short entry.

Part 1 complete

DannyPlaysSomeGames
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by DannyPlaysSomeGames »

SuperAj3 wrote:No worries! And LOL better late than never XD

Another case down, another review! So far the cases I've played have (with the exception of DJJ's) been ending as soon as they begin. Sorry if the time limit for this comp wasn't enough (No one asked for extensions, so I assumed people were fine. I should've followed up some more :gumshoe: ).
~~A Turnabout Most Dark~~
By DannyPlaysSomeGames
A preview of a flashback in "Jupiter Pulse: Ace Attorney" sees us playing as a juror watching a re-creation of the FD-6 case - a massacre of 7 people. (After reading this summary in post, I realise how meta this case is XD)

The case itself is brief, with only an introduction to the client and a quick chat with the detective on the case. The case follows Erik von Fiere, a lawyer who has gone undefeatd for 30 years, taking on a case involving a mysterious client unwilling to share any information with Erik on their case.

The case so far is well-presented. The profile pictures of the 7 victims (barring one) are all fan-made. Apart from Erik von Fiere and the detective, all the sprites used for characters were fan-made ones, with the music being all from canon games. A custom voice-clip however is used as the MASON system boots up in the introduction. There's nice usage of the fade in and fade out effects to transition between segments of the case. I did like how the detective for this case was Daryan Crescend. It would've been cool to see a past character have some personality expansion. Unfortunately we only get a brief view of his personality as the case ends pretty soon after we first talk with him.

As far as theme relevance goes, I can't say this case fits the theme either literally or metaphorically. While the death of 7 people might be "the end of the world" to someone, no real connection was drawn to the theme through the exposition or the dialogue (Although knowing Maggey Byrde was injured, to me, personally, is the end of the world ). The case did however have 2 instances where we are told the author is busy and wasn't able to finish the case, which I thought was kinda endearing (given how long the exposition at the start of the case is).

Overall I think this case needed a little more added to it to tie it in with the theme, but it feels like a good building block for an interesting story.
Yeah... The whole point of the case was to try and make the Dark Age of Law feel more "semi-apocalyptic"; showing how lacking the police are in the Department, how easy it is to commit crimes and forge evidence, how rushed and strict the whole courtroom feels, how the police is desperate for anything to the point where they rely sometimes on illegal methods, and other things. I personally blame myself for the unfinished product, though that has more to do with the fact that I did not really expect a full-on month of community hours alongside a full on month of traveling, but hey, I tried my best within the allotted time. I should really pick up on that fan game, though.

Actually, is it possible to give extra time after initial judging or is that illegal? Like if you really feel like we deserved extra time, you should ask about that.

Also whoops I gave her the wrong nametag on that frame.
Hey there
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Considering half of the entries have been judged, I’d say that’d be unfair to everyone else. And yeah don’t worry too much if real life gets in the way. That’s much more important. At least you submitted something!
ImageImageImageImage
Ann-nna
Spoken languages: English, German

Post by Ann-nna »

Apologies for taking so long and for what you're about to read. I can barely combine words into coherent sentences. On a good day. Anyway, let's get down to business to defeat the huns, shall we? :sawhit:
Turnabout to Nothing
By Salamence
Spoiler : :
The almost supernaturally lucky man failed to avoid death this time, and Apollo, in his desire to get to the bottom of this, finds himself in a case with quite an unexpected defendant and a likewise unexpected prosecutor in charge.
Currently, the case ends shortly after the first cross-examination, with the witness’ testimony.

Beginning with some philosophy, the intro then gives us a brief glimpse of what happened to the world: buildings, whole cities, even the law – everything’s been reduced to ruins. The end of the world humanity’s bringing upon itself, it certainly fits the theme. Afterwards the intro cuts to Phoenix’ office and the event that kickstarted the plot.
Before the trial we learn of The Revolution that cost many people their lives and left the city in shambles, which further establishes the theme relevance. As the courthouse wasn’t spared from the devastation, the trial takes place in a bombed out courtroom.

The case uses canon as well as custom sprites and backgrounds. The flickering light in the lobby was a nice touch, btw. The music served well to convey the gloomy atmosphere.

Presentation-wise it’s done well. The only minor issue I found being some scenes faded out either a bit too early or a bit too late.

In the end, I can say it was fun while it lasted and I’m curious to see where it goes. Good job!
Salamence

Post by Salamence »

Wow, you made my case actually sound like something worth playing. Nice!

Part 1 complete

Ann-nna
Spoken languages: English, German

Post by Ann-nna »

Because it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And you made my review sound like it's actually good.

Aaand here's the last review. :nod:
The Apostle's Turnabout
By CorruptedFlame
A mysterious messenger known as the Apostle comes to Earth with 5 prophecies, among which is the world’s rebirth in 30 days.
Fast forward to the events of the case, there're only 3 days left, and we find ourselves in the shoes of the prosecutor Leon Rysen investigating "the last murder case in the world". The victim is none other than the Apostle.
Tackling the more, so to speak, " traditional" Apocalypse, it definitely suits the theme.

Gotta say, I'm impressed by the amount of work already done. 3 cross-examinations, a lot of talk options and overall dialogue, the complexity (aka I got stuck; tho I might just be dumb).

Of note is the gameplay – a cross between AA and AAI, with testimonies outside of the courtroom and character minis you need to examine to initiate the conversation.

TAT makes use of custom backgrounds and sprites taken, with the exception of Athena’s, from the random character thread. As for the music, some of the tracks are remixed AA music; the others must be from other sources. In any case, I didn’t recognize them. I liked how the music changes whenever you choose another character.

Fading out usually occurred when it should have except for when it came to unfinished scenes. But maybe that’s the reason, idk. The way the present switched to flashbacks was interesting. There were a couple of gamebreaking bugs, but the experience was quite enjoyable nevertheless.

The case left me curious about the characters (especially the main one) and, of course, about how things play out. :D
clcman

Post by clcman »

That sounds pretty neat, actually. I hope some of it sees the light of public release someday, CorruptedFlame!
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
omroom

Post by omroom »

Ann-nna wrote:Because it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And you made my review sound like it's actually good.

Aaand here's the last review. :nod:
The Apostle's Turnabout
By CorruptedFlame
A mysterious messenger known as the Apostle comes to Earth with 5 prophecies, among which is the world’s rebirth in 30 days.
Fast forward to the events of the case, there're only 3 days left, and we find ourselves in the shoes of the prosecutor Leon Rysen investigating "the last murder case in the world". The victim is none other than the Apostle.
Tackling the more, so to speak, " traditional" Apocalypse, it definitely suits the theme.

Gotta say, I'm impressed by the amount of work already done. 3 cross-examinations, a lot of talk options and overall dialogue, the complexity (aka I got stuck; tho I might just be dumb).

Of note is the gameplay – a cross between AA and AAI, with testimonies outside of the courtroom and character minis you need to examine to initiate the conversation.

TAT makes use of custom backgrounds and sprites taken, with the exception of Athena’s, from the random character thread. As for the music, some of the tracks are remixed AA music; the others must be from other sources. In any case, I didn’t recognize them. I liked how the music changes whenever you choose another character.

Fading out usually occurred when it should have except for when it came to unfinished scenes. But maybe that’s the reason, idk. The way the present switched to flashbacks was interesting. There were a couple of gamebreaking bugs, but the experience was quite enjoyable nevertheless.

The case left me curious about the characters (especially the main one) and, of course, about how things play out. :D
Thank you so much for the review! I apologize for the bugs, I feel so stupid for missing them.
clcman wrote:That sounds pretty neat, actually. I hope some of it sees the light of public release someday, CorruptedFlame!
I'm trying for it! Once the competition's over, it's just back to work on completing and polishing it. :pearlhappy:
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Just a quick update. I'm currently working on the awards ceremony and have made up decided on some fun awards to give to everyone who participated. The final award will be for the winner of the comp. I've played all the cases and decided on my fave :chew: , but need to chat with Ann-nna so our consensus is clear.
Spoiler : awards don't make me feel so good :
ImageImageImageImage
clcman

Post by clcman »

SuperAj3 wrote:
I knew I misplaced a nuclear bomb somewhere...

DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

SuperAj3 wrote:
You'd think Helen would be too busy being a secretary for her to just disappear like that.