Henke37's lightning competition

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

henke37
Security expert / tools programmer
Spoken languages: Swedish,English

Henke37's lightning competition

Post by henke37 »

I feel like hosting a speed competition. The rules are simple. You have 36 hours from the instant that I post this topic to submit a new trial. The time of the post used to publish the trial is the time that will be used. The trial must not have been published previously. You are not allowed to submit a part of an existing trial, but if you have anything laying around unreleased (in a series or not), that is fine. The trial must be published on this site. I will be the final judge, but I will try to listen to comments from other people. I reservate the ability to not award a winner if there is not at least two entries by the deadline. Anyone may enter, even staff.

There is a price to win, so there is a good reason to enter! The price is a steam copy of the great platform game "Phychonauts". I have played the game myself and can say that it is a fun game with lots of interesting characters.
Collaborations are possible to submit, the original author (the one who initially created the trial on the site) is responsible for deciding who gets the price.
Currently working on a redesign of Court-records.net.
Powerdrone
Spoken languages: English

Re: Henke37's lightning competition

Post by Powerdrone »

I wish it was last weekend so I would have time to work on this. I'll see if I can pull something together tonight. I don't even care if I get the game, I'd just be proud to win. XD
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

I'm definitely doing this. Mostly because the only thing barring me from having played Psychonauts so far is money, and I'd love to win that. XD

I'm surprised you managed to get a priZe, Henke. Sounds fun.

You said 36 hours... The deadline is 5:15 AM EST?

NOW SOMEBODY ELSE ENTER SO I CAN ACTUALLY WIN. (or so you can win... hehe?)
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
henke37

Post by henke37 »

10:15 am UTC, so 5:15 am for EST (UTC-5).
Forcemaster

Post by Forcemaster »

Damn, I wish I could do this. I've always wanted to play Psychonauts and I've been tearing my hair out trying to find a freaking emulator that will work on this computer

Why did you post this in the middle of the week? I mean, wouldn't Friday have allowed more participation? XP
He robbed from the rich, and he gave to the poor
Stood up to the man, and gave him what for
Our love for him now, ain't hard to explain
The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

I assume Henke's more or less testing the concept of a reward competition. The only reason it's so short is because it's really an attempt to prove that people can and will participate, under ANY time limit, if some prize of value is to be awarded.
Powerdrone

Post by Powerdrone »

I've started work on my trial, I highly doubt I'll be able to finish it off though. :/
Tap

Post by Tap »

I'm working on finishing Rem. Tales Pt 1 for the contest :larry:
ImageImage
Forcemaster

Post by Forcemaster »

okappa wrote:I assume Henke's more or less testing the concept of a reward competition. The only reason it's so short is because it's really an attempt to prove that people can and will participate, under ANY time limit, if some prize of value is to be awarded.
Yes, but with a longer timeframe, it would be most likely that everyone would do the majority of their work during the weekend when they did not have homework infringing on their time. So, the projected amount of interest in this would be better reflected if it were held on a weekend.

Meh, I probably wouldn't manage to finish a trial anyway... Whatever.

EDIT: AAO leaves no trail!
He robbed from the rich, and he gave to the poor
Stood up to the man, and gave him what for
Our love for him now, ain't hard to explain
The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne
Powerdrone

Post by Powerdrone »

OH OH OH! I just realized that I have an unfinished, unreleased trial! However, there's no way I'll be able to finish it... damn... never mind. I'll just keep working on this new one I made haha. The other one requires too much work to complete I think...

So yeah.
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

...Henke, I'm gonna be honest. Unless you either extend the deadline or I work nonstop for the next 7 hours (even IF I work nonstop, maybe) I don't think I'm gonna finish. I'm just starting Testimony #1 and I've gotta do at least 5. If I cut it down to a Part 1, that's still three testimonies to do.
Spoiler : For anyone who's interested :
I'm doing an "Alternate Universe" trial that puts the canon characters in completely different lives. Phoenix is Mia Fey's mentor, and she's facing Godot (who still goes by Diego Armando, and had his near-fatal accident at a time when he hadn't been in a relationship with Mia, and was taught by Miles Edgeworth?!) Kristoph Gavin isn't a lawyer at all, but is instead the manager of a rock band which includes Klavier and Larry Butz. Er... Udgey is still Udgey. Of course.

In other words, all the GS1 characters are in their GS4 ages, except Mia who's in her GS3 younger age. All the GS2 and GS3 characters are still the same age as they were in their respective games. I might do other games in this alternate universe, if only for the joy of having an Apollo Justice era Edgeworth without Apollo and Klavier getting in the way. Also, I just want to point out -- my list of favorite attorneys goes Mia, then Edgeworth, THEN Phoenix. (Mia's sarcastic, spunky, full of facepalm moments, AND hot. Seriously. Edgeworth's awesome too, but he's very much JUST formal/mindgame/facepalm and generally bad at humor. Plus it's so hard to get him in a reasonable attorney situation...)

Other comment: Oldbag is my least favorite character to write. EVER. She's not even in my trial, she's in Payne, she's just a pain to write. Her repetitive gags make it SO FLIPPING HARD to write ANY scene where she doesn't get boring and isn't in a spacesuit. If I ever write for Oldbag again, her only lines will be RATATATATATATATAT. MARK MY WORDS.
Last edited by Hodou Okappa on Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tap

Post by Tap »

okappa wrote:...Henke, I'm gonna be honest. Unless you either extend the deadline or I work nonstop for the next 7 hours (even IF I work nonstop, maybe) I don't think I'm gonna finish. I'm just starting Testimony #1 and I've gotta do at least 5. If I cut it down to a Part 1, that's still three testimonies to do.
Spoiler : For anyone who's interested :
I'm doing an "Alternate Universe" trial that puts the canon characters in completely different lives. Phoenix is Mia Fey's mentor, and she's facing Godot (who still goes by Diego Armando, and had his near-fatal accident at a time when he hadn't been in a relationship with Mia.) Kristoph Gavin isn't a lawyer at all, but is instead the manager of a rock band which includes Klavier and Larry Butz. Er... Udgey is still Udgey. Of course.
Agreed. I still need to do 4 testimonies and a still investigation.
ImageImage
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

Henke's options:

-Extend the deadline by a day or two, and have the first successful AAO competition that proves a prize makes the whole thing worthwhile
-Close the competition with zero to one entries and not have to buy Psychonauts for anyone.
henke37

Post by henke37 »

I am going to extend the deadline then. Now the deadline is 22:15 2010-01-29 UTC. That's double the time.
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

Yaaayyyy!

*goes back to work*