Turnabout Twist!

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Turnabout Twist!

Post by Bad Player »

French Petroleum Productions is pleased to host the February-March Case Competition...
TURNABOUT TWIST!
~Task~
Make a case (any type) that has a big twist.

~Conditions~
  • The entry must have been created between 2011-02-07 and 2011-03-31. (That's almost two months... Hopefully enough time to cool down from the previous, epic competition, come up with an idea, and execute it.)
  • The entry must not be showcased until 2011-04-01.
  • The entry needs to revolve around or include a big twist, understood as a moment where the plot takes a fundamentally new direction and everything up to that point takes a whole new meaning (so foreshadowing is important). (Note that this also applies to comedies.) Entries will be judged on the originality and quality of the twist, as well as how much it is an integral part of the case that is well prepared and not just a Shyamalan-like gimmick. Because the originality of the twist matters, the twist doesn't have to be the killer's identity (in fact it's probably not a good idea to bet all on that), or even be an ending twist. There just needs to be a moment where (almost) all your preconceptions about the case are shattered. (Guess who came up with the theme for this comp :awesome: )
~Deadline~
2011-03-31 (That means Frenchy and I should be able to start judging on April 1.)

Please PM your entries to both me and Ping'.

~Entrants~
  • Zeel1
  • Trybien
  • SuperGanondorf
  • Mimi Mika
  • gotMLK7 + BBblader
  • TheFifthAce
  • Danielinhoni
  • Phantom
  • Diego
~Judging~
Because there are two judges for this competition, the judging will be done a bit differently than previous competitions. Frenchy and I are going to do our respective judging of the entrants separately and privately... We're not even going to share the order we play the cases in. This is to ensure that my judging of the entries is my judging, and Frenchy's judging is Frenchy's. This means we aren't going to be able to give reviews of the cases as we go along, or tell you who is in the lead.

Anyway, once all the entries are in, we are going to play all the cases, write little judging reviews for them, and decide which ones we like best. Once we've both done this, we'll tell each other which cases we liked the best and think should win. If we agree on the best case, then that case will be the winner, otherwise we'll just collaborate a bit and decide together from our top picks. Then, once we've picked the winner, we'll post the winner, honorable mentions, and our reviews all at once.

Good luck everyone~

(Okay, everyone, start spamming! We've gotta get this thread up to 85 pages!)
Last edited by Bad Player on Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Re: Turnabout Twist!

Post by Blackrune »

(spam? Ok let me begin with that)

Interesting theme. I wonder what the most epic twist will be? xD

Anyway... I won't join, probably. Need a break after that last comp. ^^" (or I'll secretly make one and join in the last minute, because that'd be an epic twist in itself)
Ryu Ushiromiya
Spoken languages: American English, Español (Puerto Rico)

Post by Ryu Ushiromiya »

Hmm... this sounds interesting. I might or might not join. Still undecided though.
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! CLICK HERE PLEASE?
Apologies if I do not reply in a timely manner. Sig by Tap!

E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

So you guys are going to pull an E.D.Revolution for the case, huh... :mia: Not sure here, either...

What do you mean by a Shymalan gimmick?
Ping'
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Ping' »

A twist that has no actual relevance to the story, that was added because "we need a twist", and doesn't really colour what happened before in a new light (unless by contradicting it or creating a plot hole). Nothing against Shyamalan, he's just often used as an example of this. A typical gimmick would be "this was all a dream lol", when no interesting meaning can be drawn from this revelation.

The kind of twist we're looking for can't exactly be improvised. The case needs to be built around it.

Anyway, nice to see that you're considering entering ;)
We need the big guys if we're to match the previous competition in awesomeness!
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I might enter... but I need to release Case 2-3 soon or I'm going to be falling far behind my due dates for "Ace Spirit Attorney..." It's been three-four months since the last release...
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

(If you guys think it would be a big factor in getting you to join, we could extend the comp by a week or two, or even a month. You could take all of February to cool off, and then you still have more time than Turnabout of the New Generation xD)
.Saboteur
Spoken languages: English

Post by .Saboteur »

Mwa ha ha... despite working on my current case and being addicted to Mother 3, I'm STILL going to enter and take the first spot! :twisted:

But seriously, this looks like an interesting theme. Hopefully I'll be able to make something halfway-decent. :)
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Interesting theme...I like. I think a Valentine's Day one would have been more festive, but this is great too. I question how many people you'll actually get seeing as how that last monster of a comp really tired people out, but let's see where it goes...

Mine's just a quickie so it's not gonna stand a chance of winning (I'd pass down my rank if I somehow won anyway just to give someone else a chance), but still, I hope you guys like it when it comes out :3
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Ryu Ushiromiya
Spoken languages: American English, Español (Puerto Rico)

Post by Ryu Ushiromiya »

I think a three-month time is best. New Generation was unusually epic, and people are simply exhausted from it.
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! CLICK HERE PLEASE?
Apologies if I do not reply in a timely manner. Sig by Tap!

Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Ryu Ushiromiya wrote:I think a three-month time is best. New Generation was unusually epic, and people are simply exhausted from it.
Well, depending on things go... It's easier to lengthen the time than shorten it. (It would be helpful if ppl could say whether they think an extra few weeks or a month would get them to join :P)
Meph

Post by Meph »

Oooooooh! I like the theme, BP! :D And I like how the deadline is the day before April Fool's Day. :XD:
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Meph wrote:Oooooooh! I like the theme, BP! :D And I like how the deadline is the day before April Fool's Day. :XD:
The theme was Frenchy's idea :P (And depending on how entries go, it might be pushed back... >_>)
Zeel1™

Post by Zeel1™ »

Hmmmmmm, interesting...

You know... I've had an idea that I've been thinking of doing very soon that might just work with this, as there was a major twist at the end. I don't think it'll be quite as dramatic as some other people's - keep in mind this was originally thought up as an April Fool's trial... :awesome: - but I think it will be surprising, and it does change quite a bit...

Only thing is, I was kinda hoping to finish TB Pt. 3 before I started working on it. I can only really do one trial at a time, so... :P

Of course, judging by how work on The Most Important Trial Ever Held went, I seem to work a lot quicker when there's a deadline to deal with. :awesome: Mmmm... why not, I'll give it a shot, count me in. :)
Turnabout Ghost - 1400 Frames
Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

I'm definatly entering.
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.