Breakin' Da Rules

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Ping'
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Breakin' Da Rules

Post by Ping' »

BREAKIN' DA RULES
In essence, Ace Attorney can be said to be the Sherlock Holmes of video games.

Like Sherlock Holme stories, AA cases are based on an incredibly effective formula that provides a proven recipe for storytelling. Yet it is a formula that lends itself to constant reinvention.

We as a community have been part of that reinvention. Not only has our fangame community been vibrant and prolific, it has often been bold and innovative as well.

We have introduced countless gameplay innovations such as counter cross-examinations and super-objections. We’ve experimented new structures that brought new story concepts to life. And we’ve even developed new styles that offered unique takes on the series.

Obviously, a series of European-flavoured, Umineko-inspired, golden age-obsessed cases comes to mind as an example of a successful reinterpretation of AA ... but we’ve also created fangames-as-fanfiction, expanding on every detail of the AA universe to create a modern epic... fangames-as-edutainment, using trivia to teach us about various subjects, and the list goes on.

What we now need is for you to take the next step.

Tasks

In this competition, you will be asked to take the AA formula and pick it apart. You have our permission - the obligation, even - to Break the Rules.

We want you to channel the artist and the inventor in you. To be a pioneer, to try things that have never been tried before.

This time, we’re expecting a flood of entries, complete or otherwise. You have complete license to go crazy, so use this competition as an excuse to produce something - anything.
Nothing is too strange, too avant-garde. The more you think outside the box, the better.

The winning entry will be a case that:
- takes place in an AA inspired universe, with its lawyers and trials
- turns conventions on their heads and introduces at least one groundbreaking innovation to the AA formula. (Both depth and variety of innovation will be appreciated. There are many aspects to games like AA, from story and presentation to graphics and gameplay)
- is a great all-around case (yes, that still counts for something :D )

BUT - and we really want to emphasize that point - just because you think you might not win doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enter. Your case may not be the best one, but the innovations that it contains may prove particularly interesting, even influential. The only sin in this competition is boring classicism. So be interesting. Be unpredictable.

We’re waiting for you =)

Conditions
  • The entry must have been created between October 31, 2012 and January 31, 2013.
  • The entry must be submitted to BOTH me and Gumpei.
  • The entry must not be showcased until January 31.
  • The entry must be Ace Attorney inspired, ie at the very least take place in a universe that features such traditional AA elements as lawyers, courts, objections etc.
  • The entry must feature at least one groundbreaking innovation.
  • The entry may be a comedy/miscellaneous case.
  • The entry may contain GK2 sprites and music, but no story spoilers.
Deadline
January 31, 2013, 00:00 CET.
Yes, I am also European. That means that when I wake up on the following day, European time, I expect all entries to have been submitted.

Entrants
ZetaAzuel
DWaM and kwando1313
GuardianDreamer
Reyson
eighthbit
CardiaX and drthingums
Shadowsleuth
HariusAwesome
~Dataman~
Lady Wolfenstein

ApprenticeofVoile
clcman, TheWhiteWolfos and Enthalpy
Wampyr and Tap

---

Enjoy!
Last edited by Ping' on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:39 am, edited 21 times in total.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: Break the Rules!

Post by kwando1313 »

Great topic you have here Gumping. Should get some really interesting and unique trials here.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
ZetaAzuel
Spoken languages: English

Re: Break the Rules!

Post by ZetaAzuel »

HA! First Second! post I'm totally in this! I can think of a million things already! Great idea you guys!

And yeah I'll be willing to collaborate with somone. PM me or something.

Edit: DAMNIT KWANDO now I'm not first post
Hersh is officially the best for making this awesome Rogan and Parseline Sig!
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Voodoo the Wobbufett Lv. 14
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio
~~Proud Son of Dypo deLina and Evolina deLuna~~
Ping'

Re: Breakin' Da Rules

Post by Ping' »

Upon request by a shameless illiterate, the thread title has been changed to "Breakin' Da Rules".
Make of that what you will

(Also, 700th post)
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

Ping' wrote:Upon request by a shameless illiterate, the thread title has been changed to "Breakin' Da Rules".
Make of that what you will

(Also, 700th post)
:awesome:
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

oh god DWAMs in on this HYPE HYPE HYPE WIN IT A SECOND TIME DWAM I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT THE PEOPLE BELIEVE IN YOU
Spoiler : Tomorrow :
funnily enough, Tomorrow would have been a better fit for this theme than the last, IMO
this probably means Denouncement's never getting done but WHATEVER THE DWAM BELIEVES IS BEST I SHALL BELIEVE IS BEST TOO
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

IDEAS ARE FORMING IN MY HEAD. GO AWAY I HAVE OTHER PROJECTS NOOO.

Good theme, this one certainly encourages creativity.
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Sign me up.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
Ping'

Post by Ping' »

Added both entrants.

Also, Blackrune, while a disinterested part of me would love you to enter this comp, you'll probably want to save your awesome ideas for... let's say, other projects :mrgreen:
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Shooooooot. I'm not eligible to enter by virtue of having been on Gumping, right?
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Ferdielance wrote:Shooooooot. I'm not eligible to enter by virtue of having been on Gumping, right?
We'd need Meph's final approval, I guess, but I'd say you should be able to enter, since you were a beta-tester (plus last-minute bug-fixer), rather than a core 'co-creator'; it's not like you're judging the comp xP
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Hmm. Also, I'd have to abandon AtBaS to enter, since it was started way early.

I think I'll just think of my game as an unofficial entry and try to beat the deadline for fun.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Post by Evo »

This sounds very interesting. I like going against AA conventions. But I'm most likely not going to make any cases all too soon, so don't expect anything from me. If anyone would like to hear my ideas as inspiration, you can PM me.
Reyson

Post by Reyson »

I enter solo unless someone who won't fall of the face of the earth will join me in my epic conquest and lack of any planning whatsoever.
Rey Rey the Jet Plane