A Turnabout Diverged

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

A Turnabout Diverged

Post by kwando1313 »

A Turnabout Diverged
What do you mean this theme kind of sounds familiar? I don't know what you're talking about. And the name being similar to another case's name? You're being silly. I would never do anything like that.
Which door should I take...?
In life, you have to make decisions. Some decisions are small, like what should I eat for lunch? Others have a much greater impact, like where should I go for university, what job should I take, or should I join this case competition? You know, things like that. But, what if from a single moment, it could drastically affect a person's life? And what changes in each of those different timelines? Will a tiny thing you do have grave consequences? Which... leads me to this somewhat famous poem.
For Want of a Nail

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.
---
Task:
So, what is the task that we have set forth for you? To create an Umineko-inspired case that uses Danganronpa elements and has Nanami, Ange, and Lucina starring in prominent roles. Oh. And add in some Nanoha stuff and you'll be golden. Wait, why am I telling you how to bribe me? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? WHY DO I KEEP CHANGING THIS OP OVER AND OVER AGAIN? GO HOME KWANDO, YOU'RE DRUNK. To create a case that has multiple endings, spurning from a decision (or multiple decisions) in the case. So, yes. This is quite bad for an incomplete.

---
Kwando's Judging:
Well, this is how I'm going to judge, at least. I'll let Zeta fill you in on how he's going to judge. So, here are things I'm going to be looking at.
Story: I'd hope you have a good story to tell. If it keeps me engaged, has no plot holes, and is well written, I'll enjoy it. And having me enjoy it is a good thing. And you know what else is cool? If you use unorthodox methods to captivate me to the story.
Characters: Are your characters likeable? Are they well written? If you answered yes to these questions, you make me happy. Well, unless your character is on purposely a jerkbag.
Presentation: Do you use the resources you used well? Are there random blank frames or characters showing? Typos, anyone? Basically, would you show this to someone and think "I'm proud of how this looks"? If you answered yes to that final question. Good. Huzzah. I am a happy Kwando. That being said, I'm not going to take away from your thing if you don't have any custom content. Using stock material is perfectly fine with me. (And if you do need some custom content, look in the BG packs and other places. They're good resources.)
Music: zomg no wai, it's something new! Yes. I like my music to be good. If it doesn't make my ears bleed and it's fitting, you should be on my good side.
Gameplay: If it's a gameplay driven case, is the gameplay good? Do the new innovations, if any, work well? Are there game-breaking bugs? Of course, I won't be judging the gameplay as harshly if the case isn't meant to be driven by gameplay. I'm sure I'll be able to tell if it is a gameplay-driven case, though.
Theme Relevance: Of course this is quite important. Basically, is there multiple paths I can take in this case? If yes? <Good.> If no? <Bad.> Is simple, no? That being said, if something minimally covers the prompt, that would be... meh. So please, don't just make a two endings and call it a day. That would be rather... boring.

Things that don't really matter to me:
1) Length of the case. This honestly doesn't matter. So yes, a short case could beat a really long case, so long as the short case is deemed by me to be a higher quality case.
2) Custom Graphics and whatnot. Really, they may look pretty, but if you can't get them, just use what you have in the stock material. I'm not going to say a case is bad because I can't visualize your OCs as a separate character instead. Spend your time on your writing. That's one of the most important parts of a good case.

Also, another heads up. I may or may not be streaming your case as my review. If you don't want me to stream your case, give me a note telling me that you don't want me to.

---
Zeta's Judging:
Pretty much the same as Kwands, though Music would be more Presentation in general. I believe that music is a small part of the overall presentation case, such as being able to use proper backgrounds, bleeps, stuff like that.

---
Conditions
  • The entry must have been created between September 10, 2013 and December 18, 2013.
  • The entry must not be showcased until December 19, 2013.
  • The entry must have at least two different endings stemming from the same point. Note: This does not include a guilty verdict bad ending in a standard Ace Attorney case.
  • The entry can be a miscellaneous or a comedy.
  • The entry may contain GS5 spoilers. GS5 should have come up by that time, so... But that being said...
  • The entry may contain PLvAA music spoilers, but may not contain story or sprite spoilers.
  • The entry may contain GK2 music spoilers, but may contain story or sprite spoilers from Cases 1 and 2. The entry may not contain GK2 story or sprite spoilers from Cases 3 onward.
  • The entry must be sent to both me (kwando1313) and ZetaAzuel. That would just be awfully rude if you sent it to one of us.
---
Deadline
December 18th 2013 11:59 PM PST
If you want, you can hand it in to me any time between December 17th, 11:59 PM PST to the official deadline for judging. I'll start judging entries on the 18th, but the deadline isn't until near-midnight of the 18th.

Also, I won't be terribly strict with the deadline. So long as I get it before I wake up the next day, it's all good. And no. I'm not going to be "that guy" and take a nap right at 12:01 AM and wake up right afterwards.

---
Submitters:
Risgava
enigmabear + HayaNNte Yagami
Sami-Kjelle
Masked Black Battora

---
Dropouts:
This is a list you don't want to be on. If you're on this list, you will be shamed. Shame.
Sylvie Silverwing: Lost her memory and lived a shameful life. Shame.
Spooge: Failed to absorb its weight in water. Shame.
Koda: Image I think describes all the shame necessary. Plus, you're a Leafs fan. That puts you into the auto-shame category. Shame.
Forrest Gump: I guess life wasn't like a box of chocolates after all. Shame.
Wacky: You know what you did. Shame.
Sleuth: As do you. Because you're Wacky. Shame.
onebyte: Dammit, you won't let me put in 16-bit integers. Shame.
Wolf: You're Canadian. We don't give up easily, eh? Shame.
Dataman: ADT is null? Shame.
Alnar: I blame PokeRP. Shame.
YOLO SWAGma + MichiChihiroDreamer: Due to a magical and mystical force, they aren't going to be shamed. :o (However, they have to be on this list because it's not the shame list, it's the list of dropouts. Which... They are.)
Zerodan: Steam sales? SILLY DAN, THERE AREN'T ANY SALES RIGHT NOW. Shame.
Wind Waker/Melee/Mario Sunshine were released in 2002.: I don't know what to say. But still, SHAME.
Red Truths are Right: Apparently you got gold truth'd. SHAME.
Grape Juice is Nick's Beverage of Choice. Apfelschorle >>>>> Grape Juice. SHAME.
FenrirLightCoyote + Slayer Of Evil: No evil was slain. SHAME.
Last edited by kwando1313 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:46 am, edited 34 times in total.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Re: A Turnabout Diverged

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Ha. Deadline is right on my birthday I see. How ironic.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
Wackyman
Spoken languages: English

Post by Wackyman »

This is senior year for me so I'm probably going to dig myself a grave by doing this, but hell, I've been meaning to get back into the trial scene. Sign me up.

(I am most definitely up to collaborating with someone, if anyone has interest in collaborating with someone who hasn't made a trial in years. :P)
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.

AquaAce72

Post by AquaAce72 »

NihilisticNinja wrote:Ha. Deadline is right on my birthday I see. How ironic.
The showcase date is my birthday. :P

Interesting comp theme though, I've always been a fan of the multiple ending cases (like ToC)
Last edited by AquaAce72 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Wackyman wrote:This is senior year for me so I'm probably going to dig myself a grave by doing this, but hell, I've been meaning to get back into the trial scene. Sign me up.

(I am most definitely up to collaborating with someone, if anyone has interest in collaborating with someone who hasn't made a trial in years. :P)
Added. CONGRATULATIONS on being the first person on the OP. Huzzah.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Interesting. Dunno if any will actually will get to a branching point, but I'd love to see it.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Well, IP got to a diverging point. Even Curtain got minor divergence. So, I'd say it's possible to get to that point.

ZetaAzuel

Post by ZetaAzuel »

Totally do-able, and I aint even asking for 5000 frames worth of parts here.
Hersh is officially the best for making this awesome Rogan and Parseline Sig!
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Voodoo the Wobbufett Lv. 14
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio
~~Proud Son of Dypo deLina and Evolina deLuna~~
SwagmaWampyr

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Yes, but you know me. That's how much I'll write if I enter.

....IF I enter.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

BB. You know you want to enter~ (goo)

Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

dang it dla and i had the perfect entry for this comp

Nevertheless, sign me up. I'll probably end up making a comedy (that'll get last place, go figure), so bear with me.

Also, kwands...
Da Rules wrote:Each entry must be judged on up to five categories...
*cough*
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Eh. Rules, schmules. Also OP updated.

SwagmaWampyr

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

I'm afraid I'm still heavily on the fence here. We all know how lazy I've been with HSH (Though I hope to fix that by tomorrow) though there is a possibility I might be in a collab with someone. I have no idea if that fell through or not with the theme, though, so if they did, then I'm most likely not entering this unless by some bizarrely odd chance someone else wants to collab.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Entering this with my collaborator. They can reveal who they are if they wish.
SwagmaWampyr

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

My planned collaborator is out on the other hand. Which means I'm out.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage