Time Goes By...

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Trybien
Spoken languages: English

Re: Time Goes By...

Post by Trybien »

Evolina deLuna wrote:Well not liking either of the themes might just be me... But the biggest problem, imo, is forcing People to use V6 when it's still buggy and VERY inefficient to work with.
That would be a good point, if it weren't obviously part of the challenge.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Tap

Post by Tap »

Congratulations to Ferdie and Enthalpy for winning the competition!

For all entrants, I'll just post this reminder that it has been a Case Competition rule for quite some time now that, "Entrants must post in the thread before the end of the deadline to join the competition." As you may have noticed, there is a requirement to announce your entry in the 'Bright Age of the Law' competition. So if the results are announced, and your surprise entry hasn't received much attention, hype or fanfare, don't blame the judges. This rule will be properly enforced from now on.
ImageImage
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Tap wrote:Congratulations to Ferdie and Enthalpy for winning the competition!

For all entrants, I'll just post this reminder that it has been a Case Competition rule for quite some time now that, "Entrants must post in the thread before the end of the deadline to join the competition." As you may have noticed, there is a requirement to announce your entry in the 'Bright Age of the Law' competition. So if the results are announced, and your surprise entry hasn't received much attention, hype or fanfare, don't blame the judges. This rule will be properly enforced from now on.
But we did post in the thread! (We just didn't post that we were joining.)
Tap

Post by Tap »

Bad Player wrote:But we did post in the thread! (We just didn't post that we were joining.)
Semantics, semantics... The rule is quite clear, but I've amended it slightly to say that your post must declare your intention to join the competition.

In any case, with the competition over, and "The Bright Age of the Law" now open, it's time to lock this thread. Congratulations again to Ferdielance and Enthalpy ! :D
ImageImage
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Well... That's lame. I like surprise entrants.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Tap

Post by Tap »

kwando1313 wrote:Well... That's lame. I like surprise entrants.
The rule was changed back in 2012, although it hasn't really been enforced properly... but everyone deserves a level playing field, and that's why it was implemented in the first place -- I can't remember who added it, though. It was either myself or Meph... In any case, I'll temporarily unlock this thread for any further comments, and lock it at the end of the day.
ImageImage
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

But, how does it level the playing field at all? Knowing person XYZ is competing doesn't change the quality of the case that you are making.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Thanks to Tap for the clarification.

And now that the results have been validated, once again, thank you to our judges, our testers and our fellow competitors!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Tap wrote:
Bad Player wrote:But we did post in the thread! (We just didn't post that we were joining.)
Semantics, semantics... The rule is quite clear, but I've amended it slightly to say that your post must declare your intention to join the competition.
Hooray! *adds another tally to the list*

(PS: If you want to make that rule airtight, add a clause saying that announcing you won't join the comp after announcing you will indeed validates your right to enter.)
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Can we have that rule officially named the "BP stop being a jerk and trying to ruin the comp" rule? :sawhit:
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

enigma wrote:Can we have that rule officially named the "BP stop being a jerk and trying to ruin the comp" rule? :sawhit:
Because inflating BP's ego is for the good of AAO?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Tap

Post by Tap »

kwando1313 wrote:But, how does it level the playing field at all? Knowing person XYZ is competing doesn't change the quality of the case that you are making.
Perhaps that was the wrong analogy. I'll quote Ferdie here:
How would someone have felt if they'd seemed to have the comp in the bag, and then SURPRISE, last-minute upset by secret entrants about whom pretty much nothing had been said, who had won before, and who had several AAO awards between them?
This rule has been in place since 2012, and we'll be enforcing it now, so... There's not much to say other than that.
Case Competition judges should also not be withholding reviews, even on the request of the entrant. If the entrant wants their review withheld, then they shouldn't have entered the competition in the first place. In my opinion, it's the same thing as asking to be disqualified. I'll add a minor change to the rules, something like - "Case Competition judges must not withhold the review or commentary of any entrant, even on the entrant's request."
enigma wrote:Can we have that rule officially named the "BP stop being a jerk and trying to ruin the comp" rule? :sawhit:
Let's not take it that far.

I've locked the topic now, as it's fairly obvious that the only posts are going to be about this rule. Congratulations again to Ferdie and Enthalpy.
ImageImage