Time Goes By...

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

DWaM
Spoken languages: English

Re: Time Goes By...

Post by DWaM »

I WILL NEVER ACCEPT THE CONCEPT THAT WAS PRESENTED TO ME IN THAT VISUAL NOVEL

I CAN ROLL WITH A LOT OF THINGS

BUT EVEN I HAVE A LINE I CAN'T CROSS
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

brb, making grimdark hatoful umineko entry

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

N-NO

BUT THAT
I CAN'T

I HATE IT BUT I'LL NEED TO LOVE IT
ERROR
ERROR
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Did I break you DWaM? I-I'm sorry. *proceeds to give DWaM a hug*

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
hershel_layton
Spoken languages: English, French, Chinese

Post by hershel_layton »

Kwandsy, why would you break the judge? D:
100% Certified Dersh
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

I DON'T KNOW, BUT DWAM IS FAKE JUDGE ANYWAYS BECAUSE YOU WON, RIGHT HESHY????

DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Think I've recovered.

Time to go and delete everything I've ever made.
hershel_layton
Spoken languages: English, French, Chinese

Post by hershel_layton »

YES I AM KWANDSY

And okay bye DWaM I'LL JUST HOST WHILE YOU'RE GONE
100% Certified Dersh
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

YES, HESHY FOR BEST JUDGE

But DWaM. I heard you banned Hatofuls.

You... You... YOU MONSTER. AND TO THINK I RESPECTED YOU. D:

(And deleting everything? Whyyyyyyyyyy. D: Now Curtain will never get fini-oh I SEE YOUR PLANS NOW)

NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

kwando1313 wrote: But DWaM. I heard you banned Hatofuls.

You... You... YOU MONSTER. AND TO THINK I RESPECTED YOU. D:
It's k kwand he never added the rule. JUST NOBODY REMIND HIM AND ENTH AND FERDIE'S ENTRY IS SAFE.

(And yes Hersh for best secret judge)
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

You know, I have a feeling that Enth and Ferdie's entry is just going to be a massive "Take That" against certain franchises (eg. Dangan Ronpa, Umineko, etc.) which have contributed to the grimdark nihilism on AAO. Kind of a satirical hate-letter. Now, if that IS the case there IS one thing in their...weird, poem thingy that does intrigue, yet make me a little scared, and that is their mention of Kakera. It's strange that they used that, since it's the only Japanese word in the whole thing and they could have just used the english meaning: fragment. Furthermore, it's just not a very common word. I've only heard it mentioned in two places. Higurashi and Umineko. Now, it could easily be another jab referencing Umineko, since I'm going to go with the hate-letter theory. But I'd say the use of the term Kakera was much more prominent in Higurashi (Kai) where withing the Rika arcs it was used quite heavily. I've always seen it as Higurashi=Kakera, and Umineko=Gameboards for the general term for the different worlds. So, it is quite possible they plan to blow up/take down Higurashi along with Umineko and such! While simultaneously reviving the real power of Knox's rules and the more classic view of mysteries that Agatha Christie helped create, that Ferdie is oh-so-fond of.

All in all, this is my theorised version of Ferdie+Enth's entry:

Umineko theme > Destruction of Umineko > VLR/999 theme (or) DR theme > Destruction of VLR/999 (or) DR (> Maybe Higurashi theme > Destruction of Higurashi) > Revival of Knox > Revival of the classic mystery genre> Re-instating of fairness

Betrayal refers to how games like Umineko (or Higu, actually) "betray" the reader/player and falls into their critique/satrisation of it. The tic-tac-toe is a reference to a joke someone on here made ages ago about the Umineko-style Chessboard Metaphors getting stale and to use Tic-Tac-Toe instead, hence it could be considered as mocking Umineko.

In summary, I believe that EnthalFerd's entry is going to basically be a scathing critique through satire of the current mystery games (and their grimdark nihilism and betrayal of the player) while also praising the older, classic mysteries.
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

I volunteer myself as a beta-tester if anyone needs one because according to a xat conversation, it'll be very difficult to find a beta-tester for this comp. Keep in mind that I am horrible when it comes to logic and mystery (on the other hand, that might be a good thing if you're looking for the perspective of someone who's not good at mysteries to check the difficulty of your case). Instead I check to make sure there are no game-breaking bugs and check for typos, and I also do my best to do everything possible. I focus more on how characters are handled and whether I believe their actions make sense or not. But mostly I check for spelling errors and bugs.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

In other news, I already have most of the first part planned out. I can start writing soon tbh.

I'm... actually making progress. wow.

EDIT: Just gonna post this request here too since I do need help.
Dave wrote:I know no one really pays attention to this, but, I need two sprites done. Just something to fill the roles and capture the personalities.

And if possible, someone who can animate (Like make mouth and blinking frames) other sprites. Since there's a set i'm doing myself cause it's extremely specific. But that's all I can afford to do really.

If you're interested, PM me. And if you need to see proof of progress, I can show you the small amount I DO have done, which is contradiction planning, characters, general plot, and the like. It's only been a few days since I joined the comp, but I decided I'd rather get these specific resources done or at least start on them.

The most I can offer is character design help or maybe tiny little pixel art of your OCs. Image

(That's fury btw, I decided that we all decided that he dresses as godot.)

For reference, I CAN do them myself, but I want to use as much time as possible to get the story and frames in. And having the sprites closer to done can help ease my mind. (And no, nothing in the stock sprites or official sprites fit them.)
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Presenting the first episode of your Inside View of the comp. The As Time Goes By Committee presents...

For your entertainment, and to get you hype for this comp, I will be presenting these little episodes showing the lives of the wonderful people who are making this comp possible. Today, I am a horrible narcissist and am looking at me and DWaM, your judges and hosts. But next time, we'll be looking at the first of our wonderful contestants/entrants and what they are up to. Only on... Backstage at the Comp!
eighthbit

Post by eighthbit »

If we were to do a Groundhog Day-esque timeloop, i.e a certain period of time being experienced over and over again by a select group of characters, would that be counted as relevant to the theme?
'Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.'
-Elbert Hubbard