Time Goes By...

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Time Goes By...

Post by Enthalpy »

DWaM wrote:(Okay, to be fair, there is a legit reason for [posting comp results tomorrow])
Xat has decided that this reason definitely can't be for an April Fool's Day joke with Turnabout Higurashi.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Please, joke winners are sooooo passé. I've done it before, Rune's done it before, just pls.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
K_1
Spoken languages: English

Post by K_1 »

Enthalpy wrote:
DWaM wrote:(Okay, to be fair, there is a legit reason for [posting comp results tomorrow])
Xat has decided that this reason definitely can't be for an April Fool's Day joke with Turnabout Higurashi.
kwando1313 wrote:Please, joke winners are sooooo passé. I've done it before, Rune's done it before, just pls.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

enigma/dwam pls. If you're going to make a joke account, at least make it so you joined before the comp ended. Shame.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Post by Evo »

DWAM, you stole my idea. I'm disappointed.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

You can tell from the trial ID that evo has been working on that trial forever. I mean, it's not like you can whip up brilliance like that overnight.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Evo's trial is amazing. She should win the comp because of that brilliance.

Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Bad Player wrote:You can tell from the trial ID that evo has been working on that trial forever. I mean, it's not like you can whip up brilliance like that overnight.
She worked on it longer than "K_1" worked on his/hers/its.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Well, I have to admit having a comp entry despite joining AAO after the comp deadline is pretty impressive.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Bad Player wrote:Well, I have to admit having a comp entry despite joining AAO after the comp deadline is pretty impressive.
So, that's obviously the real reason K1 is the winner.

Tap
Spoken languages: English

Post by Tap »

April Fool's Day doesn't mean the forum rules can be thrown out the window. Please remember that you must not create multiple accounts (a.k.a. sock puppets, smurf accounts). If this happens, the moderation team expect that members will be report the smurf account.
ImageImage
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Replies in bold.
enigma wrote:
Spoiler : Gamer2002's Entry :
Cybernabout

...Where do I begin? I liked the premise? A future where everything is controlled by corporations, and the courts are run by cyber programs and androids. That's pretty clever and creative. But, honestly... In execution, it fell flat.

For a start, I never felt that invested in the story. The characters just weren't engaging. Maybe it was their distractingly typo ridden dialogue (every now and then I came across a frame with dialogue I literally couldn't understand)?

We had... A lot of organization issues. Long story short, I've recruited chubby to proofread my trial. Unfortunately, chubby started working 2 days before the deadline and finished when there were only few hours left. I guess him doing job in rush didn't help.
Though we would try to polish things up if we knew that we could edit our entry after the deadline.

Or maybe it's because they just didn't feel like they had much of a personality. Which is totally fine for cyborgs/androids, I guess... But, well, that doesn't change that they weren't fun to interact with. Nextwave's son was a jerk for no real reason.

There is a reason, not called out but hinted. One thing I'll point out is that during his introduction Jake mentions that he knows what kind of man Nathan is. What he meant was supposed to become more apparent after 4th Cross-Examination, but sadly I couldn't finish it.

Nextwave was kinda just...bland. And his dialogue always felt like it was meant to be impactful, but without really understanding his story it just fell flat. Maybe that was an issue that was resolved in a later part that we didn't get to see.

He is (mostly) a stoic-depressed type and it is my intend to not reveal too much about him. His past self is supposed to be more emotional and open. During the game player is supposed to learn more about him and his history. And like I've mentioned before I had to stop the game before his one important scene.

AI-SISSTANT was...well... She was supposed to be cheerful, I guess? But I never really saw that. She was mainly forgettable.

She was before the trial, during it she reduced her cheerfulnesses. Nathan pointed that out before she left.
But anyway, Lina is supposed to be creepy. Testifying about death of people with a calm smile type of creepy.

But the main problem with this case lay in how it was presented. Lots of things just...made no sense. How did this Sun Society come to power? Why are they being evil? Most importantly, why does the main character care so much? It never felt like thse questions were being set up to be answered to me. They just were.

I don't like putting a lot of exposition, so far I was only giving basic info. And it is my plan to tell more about the world in 2nd part, in first one player is supposed to feel lost in unfamiliar dark future. Though basic outline of SS coming to power was in one of presses during 3rd CE. Maybe it wasn't the best possible place for it. But again, you are supposed to feel lost.

Though I am really surprised with you asking about Nathan's reason to care. The victim was his friend and subordinate (Jake even called him the last person that Nathan did care about), XY-0's victim was somebody he knew since he was a prosecutor, current defendant was also the defendant of his second case... I believe this all was pretty clear.

Furthermore, what was the point of that flashback to the thing with that doctor?

Tutorial for Counter-Cross, establishing that Nathan knew XY-0's victim since his very first trial and as for the doctor himself... Obviously his role in the plot is going to be revealed later on.

And why did he do what he did?

He did say why. To teach his sister a lesson. And also because he is kinda crazy.

The, hm... Client(?) in that case was also rather confusing/hard to believe. She, a grown woman, sent a letter to her father asking him not to give money to her brother because she had a bad dream?

I actually didn't precise this but that letter was sent years before. I'll make it more clear.

And the father, was worse. He showed the letter to her brother? Why? What good could come of that? Especially if he didn't want them fighting...

I didn't state it, but he interpreted her intentions in the worst possible way and decided to warn his son about them. I'll make it more clear.

And, most of all, how did the main character manage to even get this case into court?! Their was already a confession from another completely different party! The (rather unintuitively named) Terror Group.

It is him essentially accusing businessman for being secretly in control of terrorists. I should make it clear that he is betting his entire carrier and reputation on this, this case is Nathan's last stand.

And if the Sun Society is so powerful, why didn't they just not have the trial occur? This is really something that had to be explained rather than handwaved. I have a thing for dystopian societies, so there were a few ways I would explain it, myself. Maybe they want to create a false trust in the "uncorrupt" nature of their Court System? Maybe they want to make it seem like they're completely and totally honest by letting this thing slide, as if they have nothing to hide? But, we'll never know. Because it was all handwaved.

One thing I did mention is that Court System isn't something that SS wanted.

And, for that matter, whatever happened to make this world become as it is? Too many questions, not enough answers.

That one press mentioned before also answered to that.

I will give you credit for the system you made for playing as the prosecutor. It had merit, though it could have done with a bit of a polish. But it wasn't bad. I think it worked out nicely, even if you did kind of have to make leaps in logic every now and again...

I would like to ask for more input about what I should improve.

Finally, I will say that I didn't particularly care for the music but that's just personal taste. I've never liked cyber-type electronic music, so yeah... But I will say it was fitting for the case, and I guess it worked.

In conclusion, there was some level of merit in the premise and gameplay, but your execution needed quite a bit of work and polishing. I'm sorry. In any case, thank you for your time and effort, and for joining this comp.

Thanks for input.

As for DWaM's review I can reply only to one thing without repeating myself.

(even if I must ask - what's the point of making the prosecutor mechanics part of a CE? Why not just give the player a choice as soon as the statement in question pops up? You can still have a "think" button for him to consider the situation and then have the player make the choice accordingly...

My goal was to make Counter Cross-Examination enjoyable. I don't want to demand from players to worry if defense is asking unnecessary questions or silly stuff like that. I also don't want to force them to memorize entire testimony. For example, in 3rd CE they can look back at previously allowed questions to see if they should allow current one.
Determining how to handle a red statement is a challenge by itself. I know how it looks when attorney has asked his question and prosecutor presses past statements, but I believe this is better gameplay-wise.
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Spoiler : WHO IS K1?! :
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

well that answers all our questions
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Bad Player wrote:well that answers all our questions
Is there a question at this point?