Loading a frame from a variable?

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

ChildOfRagnarok
Spoken languages: English, Swedish

Loading a frame from a variable?

Post by ChildOfRagnarok »

Hello, fellow AAO:ers!

I'd like to implement a form of the AA5 and AA6 game overs (you know, where the player is given the option to try again from where they flubbed up with a refilled confidence gauge) into the fangame I'm working on. However, I'm not sure what the best way to go about this is.

I figure that I need a variable (let's call it "TryAgainVar") to keep track of where the player was. Can I use "Proceed to a different frame" and a runtime expression to directly proceed to the frame specified in TryAgainVar, or do I use "Check an expression's value" to check for TryAgainVar's value and skip to a scene accordingly?

Thanks in advance. :larry:
The above post may contain trace amounts of extreme sarcasm. :godot:
ThePaSch
Spoken languages: English, German (native)

Re: Loading a frame from a variable?

Post by ThePaSch »

ChildOfRagnarok wrote:Can I use "Proceed to a different frame" and a runtime expression to directly proceed to the frame specified in TryAgainVar
Yep, that's exactly what you can do! Tick the "Load from runtime expression" checkbox and make sure to type in the variable name into the "frame to jump to" text box without quotes, and it should work fine.
ChildOfRagnarok
Spoken languages: English, Swedish

Re: Loading a frame from a variable?

Post by ChildOfRagnarok »

ThePaSch wrote:
ChildOfRagnarok wrote:Can I use "Proceed to a different frame" and a runtime expression to directly proceed to the frame specified in TryAgainVar
Yep, that's exactly what you can do! Tick the "Load from runtime expression" checkbox and make sure to type in the variable name into the "frame to jump to" text box without quotes, and it should work fine.
:gotcha:
Thanks a lot, good sir. (Reading this in a Morgan Fey-like voice is optional, but encouraged.) :)
The above post may contain trace amounts of extreme sarcasm. :godot: