Change of plan

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Exedeb
Spoken languages: Italian, English

Change of plan

Post by Exedeb »

Hi. I think this is the right category, even if it may be less-AAO oriented. It's more about a choice i need to make.
I'm going to try and explain shortly what happened:
In these 2 months i stopped developing my case on AAO, Ace Prosecutor Zero. It was basically near to an end, sorta, but there was a certain thing i had to fix.
Due to my lack of willpower, i didn't want to continue until the recent days.
So when i opened my Editor i noticed it was full of Photobucket banners. My first thought was: "Nice, they deleted my account...".
Doing a research i noticed Photobucket applied a new policy about third party sities, which includes AAO. If i want to use my sprites and pictures in my case, i need to subscribe to their service and pay 39 Euros per month. Of course i have no intention to pay for such thing. I use Dropbox and Imgur for hosting pictures, but only 10% of the content used in my case are hosted by these two sites, while the rest of the content comes from Photobucket.
Now, the current solution would be to host my old files somewhere else and change link, but the problem is i used a good amount of images in AAO (140 in "places" category, 24 in "pop-ups"), some of them are fade-in and fade-out animations, i could recognize by their name written in the label, so i don't know exactly what to host. Also this demotivated me in a certain way.

Because of this, i started to think about other possibilities, which are "extreme".
I thought i could restart the project on PYWright, for it's offline, i don't need to play it online, and i don't need to host my pictures. Also, if i remember correctly, the engine permits to fade in and fade out pictures and music, which is cool for me and all those gifs i did on AAO.
Also, i started to think about the possibility to try Visual Novel Engines. I still need to find a good VN Engines that permits me to make a similar Ace Attorney game (But my fangame doesn't need to be 100% look-like Ace Attorney, it wants its identity).
Lastly, i thought to make the game on Unity. I'm "studying" how to use it, and i'm also studying C# in the meanwhile. So i thought "Why not. I need to set up the scripts and various features and buttons and it should work". But still, i'm a newbie, and even if it may be experience for me, i think i need a some kind of support for what i do on Unity at the moment.

So yeah, i'm in this current situation where i would be ok to restart the game somewhere ekse, even if i know i spent hours and hours in this case on AAO.
I would like there was a translation from AAO to PYWright, but i heard someone tried and it didn't work, so i guess it's currently impossible to port all my scripts on that engine.

I would like to know your opinion, for i may be confused and may not have a good idea about what to do now.

Thank you.
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Re: Change of plan

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

I'm partial to AAO (I can't seem to get PyWright to work), so I would say just rehost your images and move on. I'm sorry this happened, having to move 100+ pictures is slightly frustrating.