Sound delay

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

DoomBro_Max
Spoken languages: English, German

Sound delay

Post by DoomBro_Max »

Hello

I'm not completely familiar with the editor yet so I've gotta ask. Is there any way to add a delay before a sound plays?
For example I have a slam animation and a slam sound effect. The problem is, the sound effect is...well..just the slam.
In the animation it's like 600 ms before the character actually hits the desk, so I want to wait 600 ms. Is that possible? I don't really want to edit every soundfile to add a certain amount of time of silence.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Sound delay

Post by Enthalpy »

Have you tried using merge frames?
Merge frames 1 and 2 together, then put a pause tag at the end of frame 1, while frame 2 has the sound. If it works correctly, then the game will wait for the pause timer before the sound effect plays.

Let me know if this doesn't work. It would also help if I knew which attorney's slam you were trying to sync to. That way, I could test myself.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
DoomBro_Max

Post by DoomBro_Max »

Enthalpy wrote:Have you tried using merge frames?
Merge frames 1 and 2 together, then put a pause tag at the end of frame 1, while frame 2 has the sound. If it works correctly, then the game will wait for the pause timer before the sound effect plays.

Let me know if this doesn't work. It would also help if I knew which attorney's slam you were trying to sync to. That way, I could test myself.
I tried it with the slam of Phoenix (Spirit of Justice version).
https://www.debygames.com/hidden/deskslam.gif
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Sorry for the late response - it seems like in the delay, your link went down. Could you try again?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
DoomBro_Max

Post by DoomBro_Max »

Guess I have to excuse me as well for the delay.
It seems like they moved the files yes. The new link is https://www.debygames.com/hidden/mc/ima ... mation.gif
But the idea you had worked. It only has two difficulties.
1. Sometimes you have to guess the delay for the sound
2. It requires multiple frames, which makes it impossible for cross examinations
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Yeah, sorry to hear, but I'm not aware of any other solution.